Who is Right?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TopherNelson

Jan 11, 2015
With so many denominations, who is right? I now consider myself a former catholic and a born-again christian. I believe in Jesus and that he died for our sins so that we could go to heaven. I believe in Jesus my Lord, my God. I will give Jesus, live Jesus and love Jesus.

David

rockytopva

Staff member
Dec 31, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I believe in the seven churches as ages...

Ephesus - Apostolic - We all like to think our church is the closest to the Apostolic!
Smyrna - Martyr - Early Orthodox formed in this time.
Pergamos - Orthodoxy formed in this time... Pergos is a tower... Needed in the dark ages
Thyatira - Catholicism formed in this time - The spirit of Jezebel is to control and to dominate.
Sardis - Protestantism formed in this time- A sardius is a gem - elegant yet hard and rigid
Philadelphia - Wesleyism formed in this time - To be sanctioned is to acquire it with love.
Laodicea - Charismatic movement formed in this time - Rich and increased with goods and have need of nothing?

Therefore...

Pergamos - Orthodoxy still retains elements of the Medieval ages.
Thyatira - Catholicism still retains elements of the mid ages.
Sardis - Protestantism still retains elements of the Protestant ages.
Philadelphia - Methodism/Pentecostism still retains elements of the Romantic period.
Laodicea - Rich and increased with goods and have need of nothing
confused.gif

The Lord Jesus has had his issues with all the churches... So we all have our issues...

20 But in a great house there are not only vessels of gold and of silver, but also of wood and of earth; and some to honour, and some to dishonour.
21 If a man therefore purge himself from these, he shall be a vessel unto honour, sanctified, and meet for the master's use, and prepared unto every good work. - 2 Timothy:20-21

It is up to us to pray and seek God. The revivals of our Pentecostal Holiness church seemed to have went cold in my lifetime. One day I was up in Michigan to visit my mother and I overheard some sisters in the Lord talk that in the last days the people were going to have to, 'cut their own paths.' This makes sense to me.

Unto the angel of the church of Ephesus write; These things saith he that holdeth the seven stars in his right hand, who walketh in the midst of the seven golden candlesticks; - Revelation 2:1
Then said he unto them, Therefore every scribe which is instructed unto the kingdom of heaven is like unto a man that is an householder, which bringeth forth out of his treasure things new and old. - Matthew 13:52

It is then permissible to walk as Christ does in the midst of the seven churches. I see no harm in keeping tabs with all of the churches, from Orthodoxy to Charismatic.

Reactions: bbyrd009

Doug_E_Fresh

gяελ нατ jεsμs ƒяεακ
Dec 7, 2013
Pennsylvania
dswdoctrine.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
David that's a great question. One that is hard to handle for many people. I think of it this way: Understand the Bible, and Church History and you will find your answer. Any denomination is "right" when they make their foundation: "Belief in Christ provides salvation". Any other doctrine besides that, is inconsequential.

I'll also add that denominations are formed when answering the question, "How do I love my neighbor without compromising my faith?". Each denomination has a different stance on issues which creates distinctions between church doctrines and denominations.

Born_Again

Nov 5, 2014
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think a good place to start is with Martin Luther. Once you understand his reasoning for separating then it all kind of plays out from there. IMHO, I feel some churches are formed to meet personal agendas. But, as it has been posted before, any doctrine outside of what is plainly in scripture is incorrect as it stands. But then again, it is also in how you interpret the scripture and what version of the Bible you consider the authority. I was raised NIV. That being said, I have also posted numerous examples of the same verse from 3 to 4 different versions of the bible and broke them down to show they all mean the same thing. It just depends when it was written and what vernacular was popular at the time. A good example of course is the KJV.

With that knowledge in hand, it comes back to interpretation. I feel some churches will misinterpret the Word and give false doctrine and blindly lead others. That is just my opinion.

God Bless,

BA

TopherNelson

Jan 11, 2015
The thing I care about now is Jesus. Don't care about the other details. Live Jesus, give Jesus and love Jesus.

pom2014

Dec 6, 2014
Then free will Christian would suit.

That way you're not mired by dogma and tradition for traditions sake.

Neither of which was part of the order Jesus established.

DogLady19

Apr 15, 2015
davidnelson said:
With so many denominations, who is right? I now consider myself a former catholic and a born-again christian. I believe in Jesus and that he died for our sins so that we could go to heaven. I believe in Jesus my Lord, my God. I will give Jesus, live Jesus and love Jesus.

David
To me, that is like asking, "With so many restaurants, which one is best?" They all serve food, which is essential to survival. Churches come in different "flavors, sizes and textures" to suit the human social needs of its congregants. As long as the essentials are there - the complete gospel - then the rest of what a church has to offer meets human needs, and that is not a bad thing. From the very beginning, churches had their own personalities. The church in Rome was different from the Church in Jerusalem, and both were different from the churches hiding in the desert.

At my church, we discuss "open hand" and "closed hand" issues. Closed hand issues are the gospel, the deity of Jesus, that He died for all sinners and was raised from the dead, and He will return one day to rule over everything, salvation comes through faith and not works, forgiveness only comes from God, etc. Open hand issues are things like sprinkling vs emersion baptism, dancing, genre of music played during services (if any), candles or no candles, drinking alcohol, silent worship vs noisy, and the like.

We don't argue about the open hand issues, but we will not let anyone interfere with closed hand issues. Jesus must remain Number One at all times.

Born_Again said:
I think a good place to start is with Martin Luther. Once you understand his reasoning for separating then it all kind of plays out from there. IMHO, I feel some churches are formed to meet personal agendas. But, as it has been posted before, any doctrine outside of what is plainly in scripture is incorrect as it stands. But then again, it is also in how you interpret the scripture and what version of the Bible you consider the authority. I was raised NIV. That being said, I have also posted numerous examples of the same verse from 3 to 4 different versions of the bible and broke them down to show they all mean the same thing. It just depends when it was written and what vernacular was popular at the time. A good example of course is the KJV.

With that knowledge in hand, it comes back to interpretation. I feel some churches will misinterpret the Word and give false doctrine and blindly lead others. That is just my opinion.

God Bless,

BA
Well said! I whole-heartedly agree! People can twist the Word to fit their agendas and they do it all the time... It is why we are instructed to study and master the handling of the Word of God. Don't just be a Sunday Pew Warmer! Listen, then dig in and learn. Don't be gullible. 2 Timothy 2:15 and Romans 3:4

Years ago, I saw a van in the parking lot that I used often. Old beat up thing... the bumper sticker on it read: "KJV IS THE ONLY TRUE WORD OF GOD. IT'S THE BIBLE JESUS USED" Lol! Just thought I'd share that with you!

Reactions: Born_Again

Angelina

Prayer Warrior
Staff member
Admin
Feb 4, 2011
New Zealand
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
davidnelson said:

David
What really matters is the salvation message because that is the only thing that actually changes people's lives. Everything else is a matter of opinion/preference.

Doug_E_Fresh

gяελ нατ jεsμs ƒяεακ
Dec 7, 2013
Pennsylvania
dswdoctrine.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What really matters is the salvation message because that is the only thing that actually changes people's lives. Everything else is a matter of opinion/preference.
I don't think I'd go as far as to say that it's opinion or preference, because I don't believe some things are up for debate, but in the larger scheme of things i agree with you. So long as we're not taking our interpretation and making it what the Bible says I agree.

Angelina

Prayer Warrior
Staff member
Admin
Feb 4, 2011
New Zealand
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
The difference here is in the execution...there is a distinct difference between the salvation message and discipleship and it's in the area of discipleship/growing in grace ~ where various denominations differ. Their emphasis is based on what the church values most in their doctrinal beliefs...JMHO :unsure:

Born_Again

Nov 5, 2014
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Angelina said:
The difference here is in the execution...there is a distinct difference between the salvation message and discipleship and it's in the area of discipleship/growing in grace ~ where various denominations differ. Their emphasis is based on what the church values most in their doctrinal beliefs...JMHO :unsure:
That's a pretty fair assessment. Would that not stem from their interpretation of the scripture?

Angelina

Prayer Warrior
Staff member
Admin
Feb 4, 2011
New Zealand
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
That's where most of the denominational battles come from.... :huh: but let me just make this one point. If I got saved by confessing my sins [1 John1:9] [Romans 10:9,10] and receiving Jesus as my Lord and savior ~ then I died an hour later, I am saved period!. Without having any knowledge of the Trinity, water baptism or understanding the tenets of faith....I am saved!

Reactions: Sword and StanJ

ManOnFi59238829

May 10, 2015
God is calling the Greater Church back together. He is building his Kingdom, and he Loves all his Children. Different Churches may have different pieces to the puzzle. I see worth in what Catholics do and Orthodox and many Protestants. Fractured is a Kingdom Divided. God needs Christians to really come together in some sort of loose confederation, start melting back together over time, and flex some muscle.

If there is a Wall between Seperation of Church and State, then the State jumped over that wall or keeps moving it. The whole Idea between a Seperation of Church and State suggests that they are equal, and that there are certain topics and issues that pertain to each separatly. Issues such as Marriage, Abortion, Educations, Wellfare and so on are all aspects and functions of the Church, and not the secular state. For the Kingdom of God to expand, the Church needs to start excerting itself again in these areas, and God needs warriors to do it.

DogLady19

Apr 15, 2015
Man on Fire said:
For the Kingdom of God to expand, the Church needs to start excerting itself again in these areas, and God needs warriors to do it.
Or God needs the Church to set a better example!

The world will always be worldly. God wants those who are called by His name to be the beacons of morality and justice in this dark world.

The Church is not required to exert itself on anything or anyone. We can't fight people into the Kingdom of God. We can only show them the Way by walking that road ourselves.

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
davidnelson said:

David
Denominations, doctrine, theology, exegesis do not save. Find a church that helps you develop a relationship with God that results in justification, sanctification, and redemption. Salvation is the state of perfect love of God and His Body and it lasts forever.

Reactions: LaDela

justaname

Disciple of Jesus Christ
Mar 14, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Even within denominations, you can get into the wrong church for you. Pray about it, God will place you where He desires. It is not about being comfortable, it is about being where God desires you to be.

Axehead

May 9, 2012
davidnelson said:

David
Doesn't everyone know that the denomination that is the right one IS THE ONE YOU FIND IN HEAVEN?

Full Definition of DENOMINATION

1: an act of denominating

2: a value or size of a series of values or sizes (as of money)

3: name, designation; especially : a general name for a category

4: a religious organization whose congregations are united in their adherence to its beliefs and practices

In the NT, churches were referred to as a people in a geographical place such as the church in Thessalonica, or the church in Sardis or even the church "in thy house". Philemon 1:2.

It never occurred to NT believers to name their church after a human being or after a set of beliefs/doctrine that people conform to.

1Co_1:10 Now I beseech you, brethren, by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that ye all speak the same thing, and that there be no divisions among you; but that ye be perfectly joined together in the same mind and in the same judgment.

Rev_3:1 And unto the angel of the church in Sardis write; These things saith he that hath the seven Spirits of God, and the seven stars; I know thy works, that thou hast a name that thou livest, and art dead.

DogLady19

Apr 15, 2015
Axehead said:
Doesn't everyone know that the denomination that is the right one IS THE ONE YOU FIND IN HEAVEN?
Yes! I know that! :D

When we all get to Heaven, we will most assuredly be shocked and humored by all the stuff we had wrong! LOL

DogLady19

Apr 15, 2015
justaname said:
Even within denominations, you can get into the wrong church for you. Pray about it, God will place you where He desires. It is not about being comfortable, it is about being where God desires you to be.
Right on.

And worth repeating!

"Even within denominations, you can get into the wrong church for you. Pray about it, God will place you where He desires. It is not about being comfortable, it is about being where God desires you to be."

Status
Not open for further replies.