Who is Your Pope?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Status
Not open for further replies.

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Your commentary?

Private interpretation?

A Christian Author or speaker?

Your Minister?

Sola scriptura is not only un biblical, it has never been tried. Everyone who does more than read scripture or listen to scripture is adding to scripture.

So you can accuse me of following the teachings of my church as long as you are honest about the fact that you think about scripture, rely on commentaries and read about applied scripture in the lives of your favorite authors. Everyone has their own version of the Pope

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Pope, no pope here just Jesus,

Joh_10:26 But ye believe not, because ye are not of my sheep, as I said unto you.
Joh_10:27 My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me:

In all His Love

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
i didn't ask if you needed a Pope - a pope is enevitable. i asked WHO Is your Pope

Foreigner

Apr 14, 2010
The Catholic church teaches that the Pope is chosen by God.

Yet the very history of the Popes proves otherwise:

'The Bad Popes" by E.R. Chamberlin documents worst of the worst Popes.

Personal favorites:
Pope John XII (955–964), who gave land to a mistress, murdered several people, and was killed by a man who caught him in bed with his wife.
Pope Urban VI (1378–1389), who complained that he did not hear enough screaming when Cardinals who had conspired against him were tortured.

The book details several more.

According to the Catholic Church, these were God's hand picked representatives of His kingdom here on earth.

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Foreigner said:
The Catholic church teaches that the Pope is chosen by God.

Yet the very history of the Popes proves otherwise:

'The Bad Popes" by E.R. Chamberlin documents worst of the worst Popes.

Personal favorites:
Pope John XII (955–964), who gave land to a mistress, murdered several people, and was killed by a man who caught him in bed with his wife.
Pope Urban VI (1378–1389), who complained that he did not hear enough screaming when Cardinals who had conspired against him were tortured.

The book details several more.

According to the Catholic Church, these were God's hand picked representatives of His kingdom here on earth.

hey the white smoke don't lie!!! ;)

rockytopva

Staff member
Dec 31, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Pope means Father....

And call no man your father upon the earth: for one is your Father, which is in heaven. - Matthew 23:9

But to us there is but one God, the Father, of whom are all things, and we in him; and one Lord Jesus Christ, by whom are all things, and we by him. - 1 Corinthians 8:6

Reactions: justaname

JB_Reformed Baptist

Many are called but few are chosen.
Feb 23, 2013
AUSTRALIA
aspen2 said:
Your commentary?

Private interpretation?

Your Minister?

Sola scriptura is not only un biblical, it has never been tried. Everyone who does more than read scripture or listen to scripture is adding to scripture.

So you can accuse me of following the teachings of my church as long as you are honest about the fact that you think about scripture, rely on commentaries and read about applied scripture in the lives of your favorite authors. Everyone has their own version of the Pope
My 'POPE' is GOD the FATHER(πάππας) himself. Romans 8:15

Episkopos said:
Our PAPA is God the Father~~~ :)
AMEN! :)

Alanforchrist

Dec 25, 2007
aspen2 said:
Your commentary?

Private interpretation?

Your Minister?

[1]The pope isn't scriptural, He is a false leader of a man made false religion.

[2]The Bible does teach Sola scriptura, God says if you add to His word, You are arguing with Him, And He calls you a liar.
So what is it like to know God calls you a liar??.

[3]The Born again Christan's leader is Jesus, And the Holy Spirit reaveals Biblical truths to us, We DO NOT interpret the scriptures, We let the Holy Spirit show us the truth.

Mungo

May 23, 2012
England
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
rockytopva said:
Pope means Father....

And call no man your father upon the earth: for one is your Father, which is in heaven. - Matthew 23:9

But to us there is but one God, the Father, of whom are all things, and we in him; and one Lord Jesus Christ, by whom are all things, and we by him. - 1 Corinthians 8:6
O good grief! Not that old chestnut.

You are committing the logical fallcy of equivocation.

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
[2]The Bible does teach Sola scriptura,
Another lie from the depth of hell.

Joh 16:12 I have yet many things to say unto you, but ye cannot bear them now.

Joh_16:13 Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come.

In all His Love

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Greeting to all in the name of the Lord Jesus,
please, let not bash,
understand the question, "who is your pope".
is the question directed as a person, or a thing.

see the list, Your commentary?
Private interpretation?
Your Minister?

if so then, is the Word of God, or his Law is a lamp unto your feet, and a light unto your path, is not your pope. speaking in a Spiritual sense.

and as for a guide, Acts 8:29 "Then the Spirit said unto Philip, Go near, and join thyself to this chariot. 30 And Philip ran thither to him, and heard him read the prophet Esaias, and said, Understandest thou what thou readest? 31 And he said, How can I, except some man should guide me? And he desired Philip that he would come up and sit with him".

and as for father, true call no man father upon the earth, but in what sense?. not as the head or the source of our being. but as an help or guide. 1 John 2:13 "I write unto you, fathers, because ye have known him that is from the beginning. I write unto you, young men, because ye have overcome the wicked one. I write unto you, little children, because ye have known the Father". see the contrast, fathers here are not used in the sense that they are God, NO, but as a nurturing example to follow in the Lord. as the apostle himself said, "be ye followers of me, as He is of Christ". we must understand the word "Father", in how it is used. Noun,G3962, pater, from a root signifying a nourisher, protector, upholder. (ONLY IN THE LORD). did not Paul say to Timothy, 1 Timothy 1:2 "Unto Timothy, my own son in the faith: Grace, mercy, and peace, from God our Father and Jesus Christ our Lord". Timothy was not the apostle Paul son according to the flesh, scripture prove that. but in FAITH, as a nurturing example in the Lord.
lets get a bigger picture, was God the Father of Christ Jesus, according to the flesh, YES, but according to the Spirit NO. go back and understand the word "Father", a nourisher, protector, upholder. in our Lord's case there 'was" a nature that would suffer, (flesh), and there was nature that would protect, and help the suffering nature. that's what a father do. not as the source of the person creation, NO, only the Spirit, God is the ONLY FATHER, or CREATOR. so the word father is not use, as in some context as the creator, Oh no, but as an protector, helper, a guide, (ONLY IN THE LORD). we must truly understand the word father, and how it is used. remember, get out of the BOX. one good example, have not many of you not say the church fathers?. in reference to the early church leaders?. so why do you used that word father there?.

listen to what was listed. and as the apostle James said, "Wherefore, my beloved brethren, let every man be swift to hear, slow to speak, slow to wrath, For the wrath of man worketh not the righteousness of God".

justaname

Disciple of Jesus Christ
Mar 14, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
1 Corinthians 11:3
3 But I want you to understand that Christ is the head of every man, and the man is the head of a woman, and God is the head of Christ.

Ephesians 5:23
23 For the husband is the head of the wife, as Christ also is the head of the church, He Himself being the Savior of the body.

So then the head of the Christian is Christ...

Now as for the scriptures and comprehension.

John 16:13-15
13 “But when He, the Spirit of truth, comes, He will guide you into all the truth; for He will not speak on His own initiative, but whatever He hears, He will speak; and He will disclose to you what is to come.
14 “He will glorify Me, for He will take of Mine and will disclose it to you.
15 “All things that the Father has are Mine; therefore I said that He takes of Mine and will disclose it to you.

John 14:26
26 “But the Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in My name, He will teach you all things, and bring to your remembrance all that I said to you.

1Corinthians 9-13
9 but just as it is written,
“Things which eye has not seen and ear has not heard,
And which have not entered the heart of man,
All that God has prepared for those who love Him.”
10 For to us God revealed them through the Spirit; for the Spirit searches all things, even the depths of God.
11 For who among men knows the thoughts of a man except the spirit of the man which is in him? Even so the thoughts of God no one knows except the Spirit of God.
12 Now we have received, not the spirit of the world, but the Spirit who is from God, so that we may know the things freely given to us by God,
13 which things we also speak, not in words taught by human wisdom, but in those taught by the Spirit, combining spiritual thoughts with spiritual words.

1John 2:27
27 As for you, the anointing which you received from Him abides in you, and you have no need for anyone to teach you; but as His anointing teaches you about all things, and is true and is not a lie, and just as it has taught you, you abide in Him.

There are several commentaries from Catholic to Protestant, Armenian to Calvinist perspectives that I may refer to. I might do a web search or even get secular perspective. Yet at the end of the day the Spirit is my Pope. From this I can say the Spirit is never wrong, I just might not be listening properly at times. :mellow:

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
ok Justa name and 101G thank you for addressing the OP.

I lke what JAN stated - the use of commentaries can be used to gain understanding of the sole authority, which is the Bible, but they could also be wrong - only the scripture is free from error. I hope i have that right, JAN.

On one hand i see your point. However, I cannot dismiss the reality that commentaries add meaning to the scriptures - even our own application of scripture stretches its influence and meaning. Now, as a Catholic, I see scripture as dynamic - language is always dynamic- rather than static. Any attempt to reduce the meaning of scripture is driven by fear IMO, and ends in a rigid, dead interpretation, devoid of lfe and usefulness. Unfortunately, this suffication of the scripture based on the fear of adding information often drives noncatholic hatred for the development of doctrine within the RCC. My reasoning for titling this thread 'who is your pope?' is an attempt to point out that we all rightfully use extra sources as authoritative - it happens here all the time - one person provides a verse and that is never good enough without citing the Greek or Strongs as an authority.

Polt

Feb 5, 2013
Which book is the Pope's Bible?

Then so, which should I follow if they differ?

Episkopos said:
hey the white smoke don't lie!!! ;)
True enough, white smoke don't lie. But, what if were black smoke disguised as white smoke?

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Polt said:
Which book is the Pope's Bible?

Then so, which should I follow if they differ?

True enough, white smoke don't lie. But, what if were black smoke disguised as white smoke?

It's all in the ingredients!

Polt

Feb 5, 2013
Those of you jumping on the anti-Catholic bandwagon should consider your own faults. God placed a hierarchy of human authorities over us. You might as well be telling Paul and the other Apostles to shut their mouth while your proclaim that it's only you and God vs. the world. Have you made yourself pope?

Status
Not open for further replies.