Who managed to quit smoking?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Did you quit smoking?

• Yes

Votes: 8 44.4%
  • No, not yet

Votes: 2 11.1%
  • Never started to smoke

Votes: 8 44.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Prayer Warrior

Sep 20, 2018
U.S.A.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So I guess that nicotine has never been in your system from the air you commonly breathed, then.

My mom and dad smoked when I was young. Get this, my mom's doctor told her that smoking would be good for her. :confused: But she never smoked a lot.

My dad smoked until he saw a report on a man who had his voice box removed due to cancer caused by smoking. My dad never smoked another cigarette after that.

So...to answer your on topic question, I have no idea if I ever felt the effects of nicotine or not. Sorry, I'm not more help, but this just isn't my topic....

Reactions: farouk

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
My mom and dad smoked when I was young. Get this, my mom's doctor told her that smoking would be good for her. :confused: But she never smoked a lot.
It just goes to show that the past is a foreign country.

I am imagining your dear mom lighting her cigarettes and thinking of her doctor's advice that smoking would be good for her.

It used to be rather widespread for women to smoke after church, prior to the American Civil War, apparently. In those days it would have been pipes. Though by your mom and dad's time it would likely have been cigarettes.

I know this is not really your expertise, but I just wonder, what would your mom's doctor's rationale have been that smoking would be good for her?

(Presumably her doctor would have had some rationale, however in hindsight misguided. Good to calm nerves, perhaps?)

Prayer Warrior

Sep 20, 2018
U.S.A.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It just goes to show that the past is a foreign country.

I am imagining your dear mom lighting her cigarettes and thinking of her doctor's advice that smoking would be good for her.

It used to be rather widespread for women to smoke after church, prior to the American Civil War, apparently. In those days it would have been pipes. Though by your mom and dad's time it would likely have been cigarettes.

I know this is not really your expertise, but I just wonder, what would your mom's doctor's rationale have been that smoking would be good for her?

(Presumably her doctor would have had some rationale, however in hindsight misguided. Good to calm nerves, perhaps?)

Probably good for the nerves....

Prayer Warrior

Sep 20, 2018
U.S.A.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I see...

I was reading also how 70 - 80 years ago tobacco corporations would target doctors and regularly use what was purportedly advice from them in their cigarette advertising.

As Randolph Hearst said: "Puff (Billy) Graham"...
Yeah, how many people got lung cancer and died? That's sad. :(

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Good for people to quit if they can.

But also your account of your mother smoking cigarettes after her doctor told her they would be good for her causes me to say that people ought not to be too hard on ppl who do smoke...

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Thanks for answering my off topic question. I'm hardly ever off topic, you know. So, are you Egyptian? (If that question is too nosy, feel free to disregard.):)

You are kidding...this, and off topic subject? LOL
The whole thread strikes me funny...I am not quite sure what I have learned. Oh yes, I did learn one thing..I learned that Nancy Vaps.
And, I had never , ever heard of vaping before this thread. LOL
So yes, I guess I got 'educated' o_O

Reactions: Prayer Warrior

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada

Not sure about that. Humm I heard that 40 - 50 plus years ago it was the tobacco industry that added addictive stuff to tobacco so people smoked more and not be able to quite ...
At that time the smoking became dangerous .
Can't remember all the details now.
Not one of my aunts or uncles died of lung cancer...and they all started smoking around the time of the first world war .

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
You are kidding...this, and off topic subject? LOL
The whole thread strikes me funny...I am not quite sure what I have learned. Oh yes, I did learn one thing..I learned that Nancy Vaps.
And, I had never , ever heard of vaping before this thread. LOL
So yes, I guess I got 'educated' o_O
Yes, she enjoys it a lot!

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Not sure about that. Humm I heard that 40 - 50 plus years ago it was the tobacco industry that added addictive stuff to tobacco so people smoked more and not be able to quite ...
At that time the smoking became dangerous .
Can't remember all the details now.
Not one of my aunts or uncles died of lung cancer...and they all started smoking around the time of the first world war .
It became very popular when groups of women organized during World War One to send cigarettes to the troops. About this time, women started smoking cigarettes also in large numbers.

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
But did you yourself ever smoke up to 3 packs a day? (I think the average consumption would be way less than this, anyway...
never.....more like a half a pack a day.....I wouldn't smoke in my house or in my car because for one I don't like the smell and two my kids had a lot of respiratory issues as a child.

Naomi25

Aug 10, 2016
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
You made a good point about sanctification.

Imagine Christianity without any self-denied regulation of those other things you mention.

Not sure I would see smoking and sex in the same category, though, would you?
No. I think the bible makes it clear that sex and the misuse of it can be far more harmful to oneself, and to others, than a lot of other things. Sexual sin has done a lot of damage to the world and to people. Following God's standards for sex will inevitably lead to better things.
Having said that, we know that no sin is beyond our God to forgive. As long as we turn from that sin and are not habitual in it, he will be faithful to forgive us. And that is something indeed.
I think, also, when people look at "levels" of sin...while sexual sin might do more harm, it should not be considered a "worse" sin than other sins. I know there is often a lot of left over...I'm reluctant to call it homophobia, but that sort of stigma, in the Church, around that sort of sin...thinking it is so much more "sinful" than everyone else's "itty-bitty" sins. We should remember that in the eyes of God, it's not. Sin is sin is sin. It all put Christ up on that cross. The brother across from me who just came out of a 10 gay relationship is no different to my struggle with impatience, or her struggle with gluttony, or his struggle with greed.

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
it was the tobacco industry that added addictive stuff to tobacco so people smoked more and not be able to quite ...
Did you mean quit quietly or quietly quit?:)

It would appear that there are at least 100 additives which may increase addiction. Some say even nicorette is addictive.

Reactions: Helen