Who managed to quit smoking?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Did you quit smoking?

• Yes

Votes: 8 44.4%
  • No, not yet

Votes: 2 11.1%
  • Never started to smoke

Votes: 8 44.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
"itty-bitty" ...
So do you think that it would indeed be fair to call smoking one of those 'itty-bitty' things...?

Especially since the mother of one of the posters years ago was actually told by a doctor that smoking would be good for her health...

I think it's more of a cultural thing, really (however sensible we now know it to be to quit smoking).

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Did you mean quit quietly or quietly quit?:)

It would appear that there are at least 100 additives which may increase addiction. Some say even nicorette is addictive.

...10 out of 10. You caught me again. I never even saw that!!

...LaughingSmiley.gif

Reactions: farouk

Naomi25

Aug 10, 2016
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
So do you think that it would indeed be fair to call smoking one of those 'itty-bitty' things...?

Especially since the mother of one of the posters years ago was actually told by a doctor that smoking would be good for her health...

I think it's more of a cultural thing, really (however sensible we now know it to be to quit smoking).

I honestly don't know if smoking is a sin. I think its stupid. But a sin? A sin is something we do against God...cosmic treason. Smoking, at best, could be said to harm yourself, which is not looking after yourself...and as your body in the temple of the Holy Spirit, we should take more care of that.
But...I wonder who does it? There are those who, due to forced circumstances; poverty and starvation, don't look after their temple. There are those who, due to plenty, eat too much and don't look after their temple. And then there are those who religiously look after their temple, they eat right and exercise every day and only eat bran! In fact, one sometimes wonder if they are so religious about it that their temple has become an idol!!
So! What's a person to do? Personally, I say stop worrying so much and just focus on Christ. If he leads you to stop smoking, then stop! If he leads you to exercise more, eat less, eat more, jog less...then do those things! We live by the Spirit, after all, it's HIS temple, yeah?

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I honestly don't know if smoking is a sin. I think its stupid. But a sin? A sin is something we do against God...cosmic treason. Smoking, at best, could be said to harm yourself, which is not looking after yourself...and as your body in the temple of the Holy Spirit, we should take more care of that.
But...I wonder who does it? There are those who, due to forced circumstances; poverty and starvation, don't look after their temple. There are those who, due to plenty, eat too much and don't look after their temple. And then there are those who religiously look after their temple, they eat right and exercise every day and only eat bran! In fact, one sometimes wonder if they are so religious about it that their temple has become an idol!!
So! What's a person to do? Personally, I say stop worrying so much and just focus on Christ. If he leads you to stop smoking, then stop! If he leads you to exercise more, eat less, eat more, jog less...then do those things! We live by the Spirit, after all, it's HIS temple, yeah?
Thank-you. Interesting thoughts.

I was thinking also of @Prayer Warrior 's account (above) of her mother's doctor having encouraged her mother to smoke cigarettes because they supposedly were good for her. When I think of Prayer Warrior's mother innocently lighting cigarettes on her doctor's express advice many decades ago, I have difficulty in saying in absolute terms that smoking is a sin, even though hindsight and science now give us many good reasons why to quit. (If my reasoning at all makes sense...?)

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Whether smoking is a sin or not would depend on the person and exactly why he is doing it, wouldn't it?

"I know, and am persuaded by the Lord Jesus, that there is nothing unclean of itself: but to him that esteemeth any thing to be unclean, to him it is unclean." Rom 14:14

We have responsibilities according to the written scriptures, but if we are ignorant of them or we don't correctly understand what we do know, would it be a sin? All of these the questions and specific answers which apply to specific cases are why the final judgment is not in hands, at least not having more understanding and knowledge than we do. God is able to judge fairly in every case. Who else is?

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Whether smoking is a sin or not would depend on the person and exactly why he is doing it, wouldn't it?

"I know, and am persuaded by the Lord Jesus, that there is nothing unclean of itself: but to him that esteemeth any thing to be unclean, to him it is unclean." Rom 14:14

We have responsibilities according to the written scriptures, but if we are ignorant of them or we don't correctly understand what we do know, would it be a sin? All of these the questions and specific answers which apply to specific cases are why the final judgment is not in hands, at least not having more understanding and knowledge than we do. God is able to judge fairly in every case. Who else is?
Yes, someone else mentioned the relevance of Romans 14. Thnak-you.

Reactions: amadeus

Prayer Warrior

Sep 20, 2018
U.S.A.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
He took one puff of a friends cigarette at age fifteen...coughed, and never tried again..he is 81 now. :)
My younger brother and I used to but cigarettes at the little village shop and go off on our bikes and smoke them. I was 14, he was 10!!

When I started work in England ( London) the other office girls smoked, so I bought a packet on the way to work. ( Age 15 now)
I got so tired of having to pass around my little packed of five Woodbines... (there were 4 of us girls in the office...) I very quickly told them that I had "given up" smoking.

Truth is, never once did I inhale, I actually hated the smell and taste of smoke. I only did it to be a "Big cheese" and 'one of the inner circle.
I'd much rather enjoyed buying my addiction every Friday... EARRINGS !!
A girl and I would go to Whitecross market every Friday lunch hour and buy a new pair of earrings for the Saturday night dance. These where only clip-on's , but they were wonderful colours and styles...yep...totally addicted. :)

Now, I am too lazy to change my gold ones , except for a special occasion.

Helen, I never "hear" you with a British accent, but I assume you speak with one. You "sound" very Americanized to me, if you know what I mean. Ha!

Naomi25

Aug 10, 2016
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Thank-you. Interesting thoughts.

I was thinking also of @Prayer Warrior 's account (above) of her mother's doctor having encouraged her mother to smoke cigarettes because they supposedly were good for her. When I think of Prayer Warrior's mother innocently lighting cigarettes on her doctor's express advice many decades ago, I have difficulty in saying in absolute terms that smoking is a sin, even though hindsight and science now give us many good reasons why to quit. (If my reasoning at all makes sense...?)

This would be a perfect example of when Paul said that when the law came, so did knowledgeof sin, yeah? Prayer Warrior's mother had no knowledge of what was bad for her, at all, until science came and made her aware of it.
People went about their business acting in all sorts of manners and weren't aware that those actions were displeasing to God until the law came and showed them it was sin.

Sorry...a little off topic, I just thought it was sort of a good illustration.

Reactions: Helen

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Helen, I never "hear" you with a British accent, but I assume you speak with one. You "sound" very Americanized to me, if you know what I mean. Ha!

Well those here say that we sound very British.
But we have been here since 1975, 43years now So I think we have picked up some accent here.
When we used to go home to England every two years to visit...they told us that we sounded "very Canadian".

We were in a restaurant once, and the waiter asked us which part of Canada we came from. We were not expecting that.
"To us" we still sound very British.

My daughter spoke at my grand daughters wedding. I never think of her sounding 'English' ...but listening to her speech ...I said to my husband.. " Wow, Jane sounds like the Queen's Christmas morning speech!" She was only 12 when we came here...but I guess she didn't lose her accent either!! :)

Reggie Belafonte

Mar 16, 2018
Brisbane
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I never took it up and always hated it, Mum and Dad smoked like idiots, it's so pathetic.
I never complained to them or anyone, but I do remember coming into the dining room once in the morning and making a gesture of displeasure about all the smoke and they both went on the attack directly, well in the years ahead little did I know all the time I would waist because of their stupid habit, I feel like I should of punched him in the face right there and then, when thinking back and demanding them to stop.
Emphysema is not a nice way to die I can tell you that for a fact.
I do not hang around with people who do smoke, if I go and see such old mates I get going in about an hour, some what ever they smoke is not that bad but some really stinks.

I would think that smoking company's should be made like car company's had to do and limit the pollution with laws, so dropping all the harmful chemicals in the rubbish, it could be easy done.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I never took it up and always hated it, Mum and Dad smoked like idiots, it's so pathetic.
I never complained to them or anyone, but I do remember coming into the dining room once in the morning and making a gesture of displeasure about all the smoke and they both went on the attack directly, well in the years ahead little did I know all the time I would waist because of their stupid habit, I feel like I should of punched him in the face right there and then, when thinking back and demanding them to stop.
Emphysema is not a nice way to die I can tell you that for a fact.
I do not hang around with people who do smoke, if I go and see such old mates I get going in about an hour, some what ever they smoke is not that bad but some really stinks.

I would think that smoking company's should be made like car company's had to do and limit the pollution with laws, so dropping all the harmful chemicals in the rubbish, it could be easy done.
Glad you managed to avoid the habit! :)