Who managed to quit smoking?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Did you quit smoking?

• Yes

Votes: 8 44.4%
  • No, not yet

Votes: 2 11.1%
  • Never started to smoke

Votes: 8 44.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
@"ByGrace" : I don't think either you or your husband are or have been smokers, are you?

He took one puff of a friends cigarette at age fifteen...coughed, and never tried again..he is 81 now. :)
My younger brother and I used to but cigarettes at the little village shop and go off on our bikes and smoke them. I was 14, he was 10!!

When I started work in England ( London) the other office girls smoked, so I bought a packet on the way to work. ( Age 15 now)
I got so tired of having to pass around my little packed of five Woodbines... (there were 4 of us girls in the office...) I very quickly told them that I had "given up" smoking.

Truth is, never once did I inhale, I actually hated the smell and taste of smoke. I only did it to be a "Big cheese" and 'one of the inner circle.
I'd much rather enjoyed buying my addiction every Friday... EARRINGS !!
A girl and I would go to Whitecross market every Friday lunch hour and buy a new pair of earrings for the Saturday night dance. These where only clip-on's , but they were wonderful colours and styles...yep...totally addicted. :)

Now, I am too lazy to change my gold ones , except for a special occasion.

Reactions: farouk

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
He took one puff of a friends cigarette at age fifteen...coughed, and never tried again..he is 81 now. :)
My younger brother and I used to but cigarettes at the little village shop and go off on our bikes and smoke them. I was 14, he was 10!!

When I started work in England ( London) the other office girls smoked, so I bought a packet on the way to work. ( Age 15 now)
I got so tired of having to pass around my little packed of five Woodbines... (there were 4 of us girls in the office...) I very quickly told them that I had "given up" smoking.

Truth is, never once did I inhale, I actually hated the smell and taste of smoke. I only did it to be a "Big cheese" and 'one of the inner circle.
I'd much rather enjoyed buying my addiction every Friday... EARRINGS !!
A girl and I would go to Whitecross market every Friday lunch hour and buy a new pair of earrings for the Saturday night dance. These where only clip-on's , but they were wonderful colours and styles...yep...totally addicted. :)

Now, I am too lazy to change my gold ones , except for a special occasion.
Glad you were able to "quit" - although if you didn't inhale you probably weren't a "smoker" in the true sense of the word...:)

Reactions: Helen

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Glad you were able to "quit" - although if you didn't inhale you probably weren't a "smoker" in the true sense of the word...:)

AGREE, I actually HATED it...it was hard work and too expensive.LOL

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
AGREE, I actually HATED it...it was hard work and too expensive.LOL
I guess you would first have had to work a lot harder at getting yourself addicted to the nicotine; then it would have come more naturally like I expect it did to your other young female coworkers.

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Heart2Soul PSL I think you found quitting harder than @"ByGrace" - see above - did to quit? but you managed it! and I hope you are encouraged at success in staying quit.
I didn't want to quit because I was afraid I would gain a lot of weight. I suppose to be honest I used smoking as a appetite suppressant. But also, my mom smoke while she was pregnant, smoked in the car with the windows up, smoked in the house (3 packs a day)….so I guess you can say I have been smoking since I was conceived....ugh!

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I didn't want to quit because I was afraid I would gain a lot of weight. I suppose to be honest I used smoking as a appetite suppressant. But also, my mom smoke while she was pregnant, smoked in the car with the windows up, smoked in the house (3 packs a day)….so I guess you can say I have been smoking since I was conceived....ugh!
You probably enjoyed the nicotine also.

(Seeing as you had evidently for so long been in a nicotine environment.)

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
@Prayer Warrior Can you empathize a bit with the reason why lot of smokers don't want to quit, because, as discussed above, it works to lose weight?

(I think you said you hated smoking, of course.)

Prayer Warrior

Sep 20, 2018
U.S.A.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Prayer Warrior Can you empathize a bit with the reason why lot of smokers don't want to quit, because, as discussed above, it works to lose weight?

(I think you said you hated smoking, of course.)

LOL, are you dragging me back into this discussion (kicking and screaming, I might add)? I can empathize all day long, but I still hate what smoke does to my sinuses and lungs, not to mention what it does to the smoker's health.

I don't hate smokers! Just smoke.

OFF TOPIC!!!!! How do you pronounce your name?

Reactions: Helen

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
LOL, are you dragging me back into this discussion (kicking and screaming, I might add)? I can empathize all day long, but I still hate what smoke does to my sinuses and lungs, not to mention what it does to the smoker's health.

I don't hate smokers! Just smoke.

OFF TOPIC!!!!! How do you pronounce your name?
Actually it was on the other thread that you posted before... :)

Thanks for your comments!

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Can't really say I've thought much about it, to be honest. I've never smoked, so I've never had to deal with it. Have had plenty of other stuff to, though! Everyone has their own problems, own troubles, and it's easy to point to others and judge. Smoking for some, alcohol for others, food...sex...

You made a good point about sanctification.

Imagine Christianity without any self-denied regulation of those other things you mention.

Not sure I would see smoking and sex in the same category, though, would you?