Who managed to quit smoking?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Did you quit smoking?

• Yes

Votes: 8 44.4%
  • No, not yet

Votes: 2 11.1%
  • Never started to smoke

Votes: 8 44.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Acolyte

Oct 7, 2018
Midwest/usa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Acolyte Don't beat yourself up. If

This habit is just awful. Lol The others, drinking and cussing just dropped away. Without asking, they no longer were a part of my life... smoking just won't go away.
Hopefully and prayerfully this shall also pass.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
This habit is just awful. Lol The others, drinking and cussing just dropped away. Without asking, they no longer were a part of my life... smoking just won't go away.
Hopefully and prayerfully this shall also pass.
Your system is accustomed to some inhales from time to time; but it's in a different category from the past cussing which had moral dimensions, right?

Acolyte

Oct 7, 2018
Midwest/usa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Your system is accustomed to some inhales from time to time; but it's in a different category from the past cussing which had moral dimensions, right?

Very true, praise our Father! Take care of the big ones first.

Reactions: farouk

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
@Pearl FYI... another of my threads.

I have never smoked but my husband was a twenty a day man since his teens. Twelve years ago, unbeknown to me, his doctor told him he had to quit. In order to still get the 'kick' and the nicotine he changed to vaping. He started with the highest percent of nicotine but is now down to just 3% and will be down to 0% soon so that he just has the flavour. He likes sherbet lemon, or vanilla custard or green apple or pear drops. And he or the house doesn't stink of cigarette smoke. And he doesn't cough in the mornings and is now considered to be a non-smoker by the doctor.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I have never smoked but my husband was a twenty a day man since his teens. Twelve years ago, unbeknown to me, his doctor told him he had to quit. In order to still get the 'kick' and the nicotine he changed to vaping. He started with the highest percent of nicotine but is now down to just 3% and will be down to 0% soon so that he just has the flavour. He likes sherbet lemon, or vanilla custard or green apple or pear drops. And he or the house doesn't stink of cigarette smoke. And he doesn't cough in the mornings and is now considered to be a non-smoker by the doctor.
Well done to your husband! :)

Reactions: Pearl

Naomi25

Aug 10, 2016
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
@Naomi25 FYI...

Do you have any smoking cessation thoughts/ comments?
Ah. I suppose I'd say that "everything is permitted by not everything is beneficial". It might not be an outright sin to smoke...but its dumb. And it's not really looking after the body God gave you well...but that would be part and parcel with the 'dumb' thing.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Ah. I suppose I'd say that "everything is permitted by not everything is beneficial". It might not be an outright sin to smoke...but its dumb. And it's not really looking after the body God gave you well...but that would be part and parcel with the 'dumb' thing.
I guess I would agree to some extent. Even the great preacher Spurgeon smoked. Before the American civil war, it was even very common for women to smoke (in those days it would have been pipes) after church. After the American Civil War, with the Progressive Era and influx of so called robber baron tycoons, causes blew up which were taken sometimes to great extremes, some of them basically good and benign, some of the bizarre. I guess in encouraging people to consider the benefits of smoking cessation, one should be careful not to engage in politically and culturally driven eisegesis derived from a rather particular era of North American history.

Naomi25

Aug 10, 2016
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I guess I would agree to some extent. Even the great preacher Spurgeon smoked. Before the American civil war, it was even very common for women to smoke (in those days it would have been pipes) after church. After the American Civil War, with the Progressive Era and influx of so called robber baron tycoons, causes blew up which were taken sometimes to great extremes, some of them basically good and benign, some of the bizarre. I guess in encouraging people to consider the benefits of smoking cessation, one should be careful not to engage in politically and culturally driven eisegesis derived from a rather particular era of North American history.

I think the only real weight that should make people consider quitting is the health effects. We now know that smoking can take a heavy toll on our bodies and on those around us. But apart from that...I'm not sure the bible really speaks heavily about it either way..

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I think the only real weight that should make people consider quitting is the health effects. We now know that smoking can take a heavy toll on our bodies and on those around us. But apart from that...I'm not sure the bible really speaks heavily about it either way..
Anti-smoking used to be - is - part of North American Fundamentalist culture and thinking, which itself is a kind of cultural spin-off from the Progressive Era (late 19th century; early 20th century).

I do appreciate the doctrinal absolutes from Scripture that Fundamentalists assert. But it can also sometimes have overtones of cultural supremacist discourse, rather than a humble reasoning from Scripture.

Naomi25

Aug 10, 2016
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Anti-smoking used to be - is - part of North American Fundamentalist culture and thinking, which itself is a kind of cultural spin-off from the Progressive Era (late 19th century; early 20th century).

I do appreciate the doctrinal absolutes from Scripture that Fundamentalists assert. But it can also sometimes have overtones of cultural supremacist discourse, rather than a humble reasoning from Scripture.
I can't say that I've made any sort of study over this, or the history behind the more conservative understandings of "don't smoke, don't drink" etc....so I don't know that I'm in the place to comment too much. But, I suppose, based upon scripture and upon the new covenant freedom we have in Christ, I would say that...yes, we do have a certain level of freedom in these things. But we also should consider if the things we do are, in the end, edifying to Christ and the life we are supposed to be living for him. If, for example, when we drink, we do so too much and behave in a manner that is not worthy of Christ, then we should probably not avail ourselves of that particular freedom. Likewise with smoking...if we feel that it is doing harm to our bodies, then perhaps it's not the wisest thing to do. But, i would say it's a conscious matter between the Christian and Christ. But....that's just my opinion, of course!!

Acolyte

Oct 7, 2018
Midwest/usa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Perhaps you'll be able to cut down on the amount in the long term?

It is the goal. Slow down and finally walk away. Many friends have tried the chantix(sp?), very expensive and all are smoking again. Bad side effects and boy they were unpleasant to be around.
Keep trying. :oops:

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I have never smoked but my husband was a twenty a day man since his teens.
Well, you have maybe done well to avoid trying it; maybe avoided a lot of possible problems; the feeling good from it probably isn't worth it and if you've never tried it, you won't miss it.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
It is the goal. Slow down and finally walk away. Many friends have tried the chantix(sp?), very expensive and all are smoking again. Bad side effects and boy they were unpleasant to be around.
Keep trying. :oops:
Sounds like you have many smoking friends; I guess being around them makes you want to keep doing it, too.

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Well, you have maybe done well to avoid trying it; maybe avoided a lot of possible problems; the feeling good from it probably isn't worth it and if you've never tried it, you won't miss it.
Both my parents were heavy smokers and I made up my mind as a child that I would never smoke.

Reactions: Helen