Who or What Is the Fire Burning?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
Could you please tell us who or what you believe is being burned up in the following verses...

1 Corinthians 3:8-15

8Now he who plants and he who waters are one; but each will receive his own reward according to his own labor.
9For we are God’s fellow workers; you are God’s field, God’s building.

10According to the grace of God which was given to me, like a wise master builder I laid a foundation, and another is building on it. But each man must be careful how he builds on it.
11For no man can lay a foundation other than the one which is laid, which is Jesus Christ.
12Now if any man builds on the foundation with gold, silver, precious stones, wood, hay, straw,
13each man’s work will become evident; for the day will show it because it is to be revealed with fire, and the fire itself will test the quality of each man’s work.
14If any man’s work which he has built on it remains, he will receive a reward.
15If any man’s work is burned up, he will suffer loss; but he himself will be saved, yet so as through fire.

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Could you please tell us who or what you believe is being burned up in the following verses...

8Now he who plants and he who waters are one; but each will receive his own reward according to his own labor.

10According to the grace of God which was given to me, like a wise master builder I laid a foundation, and another is building on it. But each man must be careful how he builds on it.
11For no man can lay a foundation other than the one which is laid, which is Jesus Christ.
12Now if any man builds on the foundation with gold, silver, precious stones, wood, hay, straw,
13each man’s work will become evident; for the day will show it because it is to be revealed with fire, and the fire itself will test the quality of each man’s work.
15If any man’s work is burned up, he will suffer loss; but he himself will be saved, yet so as through fire.

Dead works. Works of the flesh. When compared with holiness this is referred to as "iniquity."

Notice another place where this is stated.

2 Tim 2:20 But in a great house there are not only vessels of gold and of silver, but also of wood and of earth; and some to honour, and some to dishonour.

21 If a man therefore purge himself from these, he shall be a vessel unto honour, sanctified, and meet for the master's use, and prepared unto every good work.

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
Dead works. Works of the flesh. When compared with holiness this is referred to as "iniquity."

Notice another place where this is stated.

2 Tim 2:20 But in a great house there are not only vessels of gold and of silver, but also of wood and of earth; and some to honour, and some to dishonour.

21 If a man therefore purge himself from these, he shall be a vessel unto honour, sanctified, and meet for the master's use, and prepared unto every good work.
Please post the verse where it states that dead works are being burned up.

And what ARE dead works??

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Please post the verse where it states that dead works are being burned up.

And what ARE dead works??

Look at verse 12 above. For the master's use...every GOOD work. So then the corrolary to good works are dead works...or ,works of the flesh. There are many other references...

like..
Heb. 9:14 How much more shall the blood of Christ, who through the eternal Spirit offered himself without spot to God, purge your conscience from dead works to serve the living God?

Here again we see service to God away from dead works.

A dead work is one that presents itself as being in accord with God's will...but it's source is from men.

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
Your own post lists in v 12+13 what is being burnt.
What are those works? Any that are not done to honour God.
Agreed. Here are the verses:

If we look at verse 13 it clearly states that each man's work will be revealed bby fire. The fire will test the quality.

But it brings up questions. I believe these verses are very misunderstood...For instance the CC uses them as proof verses for purgatory.

The questions then become.

1. Who IS "each man"? verse 13

2. What does the quality refer to? verse 13

3. What work is each man building upon? verse 14

Windmillcharge

Dec 21, 2017
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
1. Who IS "each man"? verse 13 Literally every man who faces judgement.

2. What does the quality refer to? verse 13 The motive and methods for doing anything for God.

3. What work is each man building upon? verse 14 On what Jesus started and the apostles and every other Christian has continued to do. Preach the gospel.

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Agreed. Here are the verses:

If we look at verse 13 it clearly states that each man's work will be revealed bby fire. The fire will test the quality.

But it brings up questions. I believe these verses are very misunderstood...For instance the CC uses them as proof verses for purgatory.

The questions then become.

1. Who IS "each man"? verse 13

2. What does the quality refer to? verse 13

3. What work is each man building upon? verse 14

I hope you aren't doing that "ministry" thing whereby Paul's ministry is being judged...rather than what everyone is doing.

That is so blatantly false.

Just compare with 2 Tim. 2. Every man...

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
Look at verse 12 above. For the master's use...every GOOD work. So then the corrolary to good works are dead works...or ,works of the flesh. There are many other references...

like..
Heb. 9:14 How much more shall the blood of Christ, who through the eternal Spirit offered himself without spot to God, purge your conscience from dead works to serve the living God?

Here again we see service to God away from dead works.

A dead work is one that presents itself as being in accord with God's will...but it's source is from men.
Hi E

A dead work is really not how you explained it above.
Hebrews is a letter that was written to the Jews of Jesus's time.
Dead works are works of the Law...works done under the Law and not under grace. The Jews were used to doing things to try to please God...that was the Mosaic Covenant,,,not they were under a New Covenant, see Hebrews 9:15-17. This New Covenant was a Covenant of grace...we now have the Holy Spirit to help us keep God's laws --- not that they are abolished.

But, returning to 1 Corinthians 3:8-15

Would you say that WE believers are being spoken of here,
or perhaps the WORKERS for God are being spoken of here?
WHO are the wise master builders? And WHAT is their work?

10According to the grace of God which was given to me, like a wise master builder I laid a foundation,

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
="GodsGrace, post: 432555, member: 7593"]Hi E

A dead work is really not how you explained it above.
Hebrews is a letter that was written to the Jews of Jesus's time.
Dead works are works of the Law...works done under the Law and not under grace.

Works of the law are things like circumcision and kosher eating. That is NOT the same as a dead work. I'm afraid you are adding apples with oranges here.

A dead work is a work done in the power of men that claims to be of God.

The Jews were used to doing things to try to please God...that was the Mosaic Covenant,,,not they were under a New Covenant, see Hebrews 9:15-17. This New Covenant was a Covenant of grace...we now have the Holy Spirit to help us keep God's laws --- not that they are abolished.

This is a confusing way of saying things. It is good to try to please God...but it is wrong to claim it is good without God's say so.

But, returning to 1 Corinthians 3:8-15

Would you say that WE believers are being spoken of here,

All believers are building...being EDIFIED...into something.

or perhaps the WORKERS for God are being spoken of here?

No difference here on the quality of what is being built...whether a living work of God or a dead work of men.

WHO are the wise master builders? And WHAT is their work?

10According to the grace of God which was given to me, like a wise master builder I laid a foundation,

This is not what the Bema set judgment is about.

Check out 2 Tim. 2 :20 which refers to the very same thing...but never mentions if a person is a minister or not. It is every man."

2 Tim. 2:20 But in a great house there are not only vessels of gold and of silver, but also of wood and of earth; and some to honour, and some to dishonour.

So that is who is being judged..."a man"...not a minister.

The saints will be judged with a very high standard. That is what is being described here.

Reactions: Helen

zipzaddle

Aug 11, 2018
Västmanland County / Västerås
Faith
Christian
Country
Sweden

I believe in the Day of Judgement things in the world which help a Christian learn and which are no longer needed in heaven are burned.
1Peter 4:12 Beloved, think it not strange concerning the fiery trial which is to try you...
Possible view is the tree of knowledge's branches are fuel for the fire.

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
I hope you aren't doing that "ministry" thing whereby Paul's ministry is being judged...rather than what everyone is doing.

That is so blatantly false.

Just compare with 2 Tim. 2. Every man...
2 Timothy 2.....?
Verse 15 says to be a diligent workman approved by God...
This speaks to workmen too.

I'm not sure to what you're referring with the "ministry" thing where Paul's ministry is being judged. I'm NOT referring specifically to this.

I AM saying that it's speaking about those who minister to God's word and not to US believers.

Verse 5 states plainly that Paul is speaking about what it means to be of Apollos or of Paul. He says that this is wrong. He says that they are just servants through whom "you believed"....which would be US. Those instructed.

Verse 8, each [worker] will receive his own reward according to his labor.

Verse 9 Paul and Apollo (and every other worker) are God's fellow workers.

WE are God's field, God's building...

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
2 Timothy 2.....?
Verse 15 says to be a diligent workman approved by God...
This speaks to workmen too.

I'm not sure to what you're referring with the "ministry" thing where Paul's ministry is being judged. I'm NOT referring specifically to this.

I AM saying that it's speaking about those who minister to God's word and not to US believers.

Verse 5 states plainly that Paul is speaking about what it means to be of Apollos or of Paul. He says that this is wrong. He says that they are just servants through whom "you believed"....which would be US. Those instructed.

Verse 8, each [worker] will receive his own reward according to his labor.

Verse 9 Paul and Apollo (and every other worker) are God's fellow workers.

WE are God's field, God's building...

That is what I'm referring to. There was a false teaching about this circulating around that sought to take away responsibility for edification away from believers and make it exclusively the responsibility of workers.

But that is not the truth. WE are entirely responsible for what we choose to believe and do.

Remember the excuse..."I was only following orders" as an excuse for atrocities committed.

But the truth is...the Holy Spirit makes each believer fully responsible for his own growth, behaviour and blamelessness.

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
1. Who IS "each man"? verse 13 Literally every man who faces judgement.
Verse 13 is referring to the workers in verse 5 and 6...Paul and Apollo.
It's referring to those who build upon what Paul and Apollo began...and what did they begin?
They laid the foundation which is Christ.
verse 10 And ANOTHER is building upon it. Bldg upon the foundation which is Christ....and men will CONTINUE to build upon this initial foundation...these men are the ministers of God who "grow" us.

2. What does the quality refer to? verse 13 The motive and methods for doing anything for God.
verse 13 The fire will test the QUALITY OF THE WORK. The WORK of continuing the building upon the foundation which was laid by the ministry workers of God.

3. What work is each man building upon? verse 14 On what Jesus started and the apostles and every other Christian has continued to do. Preach the gospel.

Not all of us preach the gospel. There are specific persons who are REQUIRED to do this...priests, pastors, ministers, missionaries, etc.
WE are threir work upon which they must build.

It's THEIR work that will be judged with fire.

HOW the "man" (ministers) build upon the work (us) will be judged...
Gold Silver Precious Stones
Or
Wood Hay Straw

The fire will burn these works
Gold Silver Stones.......do not burn
Wood Hay Straw..........do burn, but the person himself will be saved.

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
"GodsGrace, post: 432576, member: 7593"]Verse 13 is referring to the workers in verse 5 and 6...Paul and Apollo.
It's referring to those who build upon what Paul and Apollo began...and what did they begin?
verse 10 And ANOTHER is building upon it. Bldg upon the foundation which is Christ....and men will CONTINUE to build upon this initial foundation...these men are the ministers of God who "grow" us.

It is every man that will be judged...not just ministers.

People are always trying to find an excuse for their sins. Adam said it was Eve's fault...And Eve blamed the serpent. But who did the eating?

verse 13 The fire will test the QUALITY OF THE WORK. The WORK of continuing the building upon the foundation which was laid by the ministry workers of God.

Compare that idea with 2 Tim. 2:20. It is the responsibility of every person to see what is being built (edified).

Not all of us preach the gospel. There are specific persons who are REQUIRED to do this...priests, pastors, ministers, missionaries, etc.

A teacher will have a harder judgment...but a person who believes a lie is responsible for that.

Or
Wood Hay Straw

I hope you reconsider this doctrine...which is speaking of ALL who are in Christ.

Reactions: faithfulness

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
="GodsGrace, post: 432555, member: 7593"]Hi E

Works of the law are things like circumcision and kosher eating. That is NOT the same as a dead work. I'm afraid you are adding apples with oranges here.

A dead work is a work done in the power of men that claims to be of God.

I don't want to derail my own thread.
What you mentioned above are works of the law,,,Paul said they are DEAD works because they do not save but are only ritual. This is the part of the law that Jesus DID come to abolish.

What work is in the "power of man" that claims to be of God?
Every work we can do is within our power.

This is a confusing way of saying things. It is good to try to please God...but it is wrong to claim it is good without God's say so.
Confusing? Would you want to tell us the difference between the Mosaic Covenant and the New Covenant if you believe my way is confusing?

You mean every time you do something good, you get God's approval first? God approves of all good works...you don't have to wait for His approval !

All believers are building...being EDIFIED...into something.
OK. This is your opinion.

No difference here on the quality of what is being built...whether a living work of God or a dead work of men.
I have no reply for you. This is not what this thread is about.
However, if there is no difference is quality,,,why is gold being spoken of and why is straw being spoken of?

Now he who plants and he who waters are one; but each will receive his own reward according to his own labor.
This is not what the Bema set judgment is about.

Check out 2 Tim. 2 :20 which refers to the very same thing...but never mentions if a person is a minister or not. It is every man."

2 Tim. 2:20 But in a great house there are not only vessels of gold and of silver, but also of wood and of earth; and some to honour, and some to dishonour.

So that is who is being judged..."a man"...not a minister.

The saints will be judged with a very high standard. That is what is being described here.

I'm not discussing the Berma Seat of Christ.
I'm not discussing 2 Timothy 2:20 and 21.

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
That is what I'm referring to. There was a false teaching about this circulating around that sought to take away responsibility for edification away from believers and make it exclusively the responsibility of workers.

But that is not the truth. WE are entirely responsible for what we choose to believe and do.

Remember the excuse..."I was only following orders" as an excuse for atrocities committed.

But the truth is...the Holy Spirit makes each believer fully responsible for his own growth, behaviour and blamelessness.
I agree.
But this is not what we're discussing here.

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
"GodsGrace, post: 432576, member: 7593"]Verse 13 is referring to the workers in verse 5 and 6...Paul and Apollo.

It is every man that will be judged...not just ministers.

People are always trying to find an excuse for their sins. Adam said it was Eve's fault...And Eve blamed the serpent. But who did the eating?

Compare that idea with 2 Tim. 2:20. It is the responsibility of every person to see what is being built (edified).

A teacher will have a harder judgment...but a person who believes a lie is responsible for that.

Or
Wood Hay Straw

I hope you reconsider this doctrine...which is speaking of ALL who are in Christ.
This is NOT a doctrine.
This is exegesis.
Do you suppose these verses in 1 Corinthians refer to purgatory?
Catholics do.
Exegesis is important...it helps us to understand what we're reading.

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
"I'm not discussing the Berma Seat of Christ.
I'm not discussing 2 Timothy 2:20 and 21."

You aren't seeing that the word interprets the word. Indeed the bible interprets itself. You need to look at other verses to get the whole meaning.

So then if you are not sure about the Bema seat judgment described in 1 Cor. 3....we simply go to another place where the very same thing is being described.

2 Tim. 2:19 Nevertheless the foundation of God standeth sure, having this seal, The Lord knoweth them that are his. And, let every one that nameth the name of Christ depart from iniquity.

Who are the "them" and the "every one" referred to here? Is it reasonable to say that this means only ministers?

20 But in a great house there are not only vessels of gold and of silver, but also of wood and of earth; and some to honour, and some to dishonour.

Here we see the same rewards and losses as 1 Cor.3 ...Is this a coincidence? or does the bible speak of the same things more than once for clarity's sake?

Is the above bolded words in v. 21 "a man"...mean only ministers? Are other believers not also men?

So also in 1 Cor. 3...it is "every man" who builds on the foundation which is Christ. Look at 2 Pet. 1 to see that they who do not add to their faiths have become blind...they themselves...not their ministers...etc

Reactions: faithfulness