Why are there so many versions of the Bible?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Status
Not open for further replies.

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Boy - your ignorance of the Catholic Church is really astounding.
The Pope is not a "king". He is the earthly head of the Church.
He is the head of the catholic church it was them that put him there not God . Yes your ignorance of teh things of God are quiet astounding even teh things of your own religion...

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
mjrhealth said:
He is the head of the catholic church it was them that put him there not God . Yes your ignorance of teh things of God are quiet astounding even teh things of your own religion...
Time for another Bible and linguistics lesson . . .

I know YOU have a problem with the Papacy - but, as we read in Scripture - it was JESUS who instituted this office.
As you know, the Lord said to Peter, “And so I say to you, you are Peter (Petros), and upon this rock (Petra) I will build my church, and the gates of the netherworld shall not prevail against it.” Anti-Catholics like YOU believe Peter is not the Rock but that the Rock refers to his confession of faith. It couldn’t be Peter because the Greek words used here are Petros, meaning, small stone and Petra, meaning, large mass of rock.

OR, you might say that the Rock is Jesus because he is referred to as Rock elsewhere, including, Matt. 21:42 and 1 Pet. 2:3-8. The problem with this is that Jesus didn’t speak Greek to his Apostles - he spoke ARAMAIC.

What Jesus actually said was, “And so I say to you, you are Kepha, and upon this rock Kepha I will build my church, and the gates of the netherworld shall not prevail against it.”
This is why St. Peter is referred to as Cephas in many of St. Paul’s letters, because Cephas is the closest Greek transliteration of the Aramaic, Kepha.

There is another problem for the non-Catholic. Petra is a feminine Greek noun and could hardly be used to describe a man, so the word was translated as Petros in Scripture because it was being used in reference to a man. Jesus clearly appointed Peter as earthly head of the Church and Chief Apostle here in Matthew’s Gospel as well as Luke 22:31-32, where he told Peter that he prayed for him alone to strengthen the other Apostles in his absence and in John 21:15-19, where he told Peter 3 times to feed his sheep.

No other Apostle was ever singled out like this.

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
well when you start electing a pope by lot, and he moves to Jerusalem, and changes mass to Saturday, get back to me. Until then you are pretty much stuck with the label of usurpers, who think to change times and days, wadr. This is "sheep to the slaughter" defined, when you imagine that Christ appointed some human head to wear the crown He refused. You would do better to let your second graders interpret the Book for you, imo. I would run screaming from any model that engendered so much false pride in a person, myself. Our churches are melting, and i can't think of a better ad for that than whenever you post, i mean yikes, just listen to yourself man.

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
bbyrd009 said:
well when you start electing a pope by lot, and he moves to Jerusalem, and changes mass to Saturday, get back to me. Until then you are pretty much stuck with the label of usurpers, who think to change times and days, wadr. This is "sheep to the slaughter" defined, when you imagine that Christ appointed some human head to wear the crown He refused. You would do better to let your second graders interpret the Book for you, imo. I would run screaming from any model that engendered so much false pride in a person, myself. Our churches are melting, and i can't think of a better ad for that than whenever you post, i mean yikes, just listen to yourself man.
In Col. 2:16, we read where Paul tells us, “Let no one, then, pass judgment on you in matters of food and drink or with regard to a festival or new moon or SABBATH.” Anyway - in the New Testament, we find that the Apostles and the early Christians worshipped and broke bread (celebrated the Mass) on the first day of the week, Sunday (Acts 20:7, 1 Cor. 16:2, Rev. 1:10). So much for YOUR disdain of Sunday . . .

As for Rome vs. Jerusalem - WHERE in the Bible does it say that the church cannot be headquartered in Rome??
Chapter and verse, please.

I would run screaming from ANY sect that YOU were part of because you don't know your Bible.

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I know YOU have a problem with the Papacy - but, as we read in Scripture - it was JESUS who instituted this office.
never did, was a religion created by men and seemingly betweeen them and the Muslems seem intent on stealing Jeruslem from the Jews, Wont happen. God gave us a King, First to the Jews

1Sa_8:7 And the LORD said unto Samuel, Hearken unto the voice of the people in all that they say unto thee: for they have not rejected thee, but they have rejected me, that I should not reign over them.

And today even he is rejected by christians that he should rule over them

Luk 22:25 And he said unto them, The kings of the Gentiles exercise lordship over them; and they that exercise authority upon them are called benefactors.
Luk 22:26 But ye shall not be so: but he that is greatest among you, let him be as the younger; and he that is chief, as he that doth serve.

And so nothing changes

God gave us Jesus went back to God so God could send His representitve

Joh 16:7 Nevertheless I tell you the truth; It is expedient for you that I go away: for if I go not away, the Comforter will not come unto you; but if I depart, I will send him unto you.
Joh 16:8 And when he is come, he will reprove the world of sin, and of righteousness, and of judgment:
Joh 16:9 Of sin, because they believe not on me;
Joh 16:10 Of righteousness, because I go to my Father, and ye see me no more;
Joh 16:11 Of judgment, because the prince of this world is judged.
Joh 16:12 I have yet many things to say unto you, but ye cannot bear them now.
Joh 16:13 Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come.

But he too is rejected of men

We have only one mediator

1Ti_2:5 For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus;

Not your pope, not teh saints not Mary only Jesus. his position beng relegated to teh dogs by men and there religions.

You cannot mak a lie the truth except to those who believe it.

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
mjrhealth said:
never did, was a religion created by men and seemingly betweeen them and the Muslems seem intent on stealing Jeruslem from the Jews, Wont happen. God gave us a King, First to the Jews

1Sa_8:7 And the LORD said unto Samuel, Hearken unto the voice of the people in all that they say unto thee: for they have not rejected thee, but they have rejected me, that I should not reign over them.

And today even he is rejected by christians that he should rule over them

Luk 22:25 And he said unto them, The kings of the Gentiles exercise lordship over them; and they that exercise authority upon them are called benefactors.
Luk 22:26 But ye shall not be so: but he that is greatest among you, let him be as the younger; and he that is chief, as he that doth serve.

And so nothing changes

God gave us Jesus went back to God so God could send His representitve

Joh 16:7 Nevertheless I tell you the truth; It is expedient for you that I go away: for if I go not away, the Comforter will not come unto you; but if I depart, I will send him unto you.
Joh 16:8 And when he is come, he will reprove the world of sin, and of righteousness, and of judgment:
Joh 16:9 Of sin, because they believe not on me;
Joh 16:10 Of righteousness, because I go to my Father, and ye see me no more;
Joh 16:11 Of judgment, because the prince of this world is judged.
Joh 16:12 I have yet many things to say unto you, but ye cannot bear them now.
Joh 16:13 Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come.

But he too is rejected of men

We have only one mediator

1Ti_2:5 For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus;

Not your pope, not teh saints not Mary only Jesus. his position beng relegated to teh dogs by men and there religions.

You cannot mak a lie the truth except to those who believe it.
And this is like having a conversation with the proverbial spoiled child who covers his ears and closes his eyes to the truth.

Can you show me ONE Catholic teaching that claims the Pope is our "King"??
You just spout off a bunch of nonsense in the vain hope that some of it will stick. It won't.

As for Jesus being our only mediator - He is our only mediator because only his blood is the perfect sacrifice before the Father for our sins.
HOWEVER - our intercession for one another is commanded in the Scriptures (1 Cor. 3:9, 1 Tim. 2:1-3, Eph 6:18, James 5:16, 1 John 5:16).

So, I can assume that YOU never pray for anybody?? You never ask anybody to pray for YOU or for someone else??
Untiol you can answer these questions - you don't have an anti-Catholic leg to stand on . . .

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
mjrhealth said:
funny, i am reading "shoes of the fisherman" right now, and more than one pope has actually had serious issues with the physical wearing of a crown; i guess this is even a point of contention within the RCC.

as i already know you are aware of on some level, mjr, it is people that are evil, and institute churches; that we then point to as being evil. The solution to the war within you is always to change your mind, i guess, and in a sense go prove yourself to be a liar. Which the truth will always do. Because, in this case for instance, the RCC is also a Bulwark, and produces many, many saints, dedicated to service, whom even you would not condemn if you knew them.

epostle1

Sep 24, 2012
Essex
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
bbyrd009 said:
funny, i am reading "shoes of the fisherman" right now, and more than one pope has actually had serious issues with the physical wearing of a crown; i guess this is even a point of contention within the RCC.

as i already know you are aware of on some level, mjr, it is people that are evil, and institute churches; that we then point to as being evil. The solution to the war within you is always to change your mind, i guess, and in a sense go prove yourself to be a liar. Which the truth will always do. Because, in this case for instance, the RCC is also a Bulwark, and produces many, many saints, dedicated to service, whom even you would not condemn if you knew them.
It's not a doctrinal crown, but a ceremonial one. It's a symbol of authority. Pope Paul IV was the last pope to wear it, so it's not a big deal with popes.
Good advice for mjr.

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
for instance, the RCC is also a Bulwark, and produces many, many saints, dedicated to service, whom even you would not condemn if you knew them.
I know of no one condemning catholics, do you??? God has his saints in all religions, tha tdoesnt make religion right, its a man thing not a God thing, and it keeps many from God.

And this is like having a conversation with the proverbial spoiled child who covers his ears and closes his eyes to the truth.
Coming from a catholic it is laughable.

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
mjrhealth said:
I know of no one condemning catholics, do you??? God has his saints in all religions, tha tdoesnt make religion right, its a man thing not a God thing, and it keeps many from God.
You don't know of anyone condemning Catholics??
Look in the mirror, pal . . .

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
kepha31 said:
It's not a doctrinal crown, but a ceremonial one. It's a symbol of authority. Pope Paul IV was the last pope to wear it, so it's not a big deal with popes.
Let's be honest, whether a pope puts a crown on or not, he is still your doctrinal king, and he fights battles for you. 1Sam8 points to the conflict of interests that a human king sets up for a person. When a Catholic finds Word, and disagrees with some jot or tittle of the RCC, they are no longer RCC, they are excommunicated. I'm not Catholic, and have no desire to be heard condemning the model--even as i do desire to judge my own model, Protestantism--but on some level one must reflect upon the reality that either one is a model of Law.

Either one has a list of boxes i must tick to be considered "saved" in that model, right? And in either one important sacraments--the 3 baptisms, receiving the Spirit, communion; even confession and rebound (repentance) are reduced to rituals, when they really describe important functions that a person performs in their walk, that hopefully cause them to change their minds. But instead they more often take the place of the functions, and the ritual becomes acknowledged as the real thing, the function. So then the ceremony takes the place of the doctrine, and the many warnings against this in Scripture are reasoned away. As evidenced by "closed communion" etc.

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
You don't know of anyone condemning Catholics??
Look in the mirror, pal . . .
No just catholism, please if you like to feel condemned, do so teh flesh loves it. besides who needs to teh religious condemn themsleves by rejecting Christ. have you ever noticed that all you boast of is "your Church" you pope, your religion, dont come here to Glorify Christ, nor God, but promote your religion, see that in itself should be enough to turn any one with"eyes to see" to not want to be a part of it.

I rest my case . . .
Still doesnt change teh facts. Was your case heavy, have you not read.

Mat 11:28 Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.
Mat 11:29 Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls.
Mat 11:30 For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light

You should give Him a chance than you wont have to rest your case it wont be such a burden.
You should have a discussion with the JWs and see if they cannot convince you that there church it the "lords" church, the just dont yell as loud as you do,

epostle1

Sep 24, 2012
Essex
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
bbyrd009 said:
Let's be honest, whether a pope puts a crown on or not, he is still your doctrinal king, and he fights battles for you.
This is the most idiotic remark about the papacy I have ever seen. Cheap news tabloids is not a good source.

1Sam8 points to the conflict of interests that a human king sets up for a person.
1 Sam. 8 has nothing to do with the papacy. Try Isaiah 22.
When a Catholic finds Word, and disagrees with some jot or tittle of the RCC, they are no longer RCC, they are excommunicated.
That is a lie. Catholics are free to disagree, we are not free to rebel, and rebellion is the basis of your privately constructed system.
I'm not Catholic, and have no desire to be heard condemning the model--even as i do desire to judge my own model, Protestantism--but on some level one must reflect upon the reality that either one is a model of Law.
Yes, you are an authority unto yourself.
Either one has a list of boxes i must tick to be considered "saved" in that model, right? And in either one important sacraments--the 3 baptisms, receiving the Spirit, communion; even confession and rebound (repentance) are reduced to rituals, when they really describe important functions that a person performs in their walk, that hopefully cause them to change their minds. But instead they more often take the place of the functions, and the ritual becomes acknowledged as the real thing, the function. So then the ceremony takes the place of the doctrine, and the many warnings against this in Scripture are reasoned away. As evidenced by "closed communion" etc.
You have a perverted view of the sacraments.

quote-i-believe-in-god-not-in-a-catholic-god-there-is-no-catholic-god-there-is-god-and-i-believe-in-pope-francis-388028.jpg

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
mjrhealth said:
No just catholism, please if you like to feel condemned, do so teh flesh loves it. besides who needs to teh religious condemn themsleves by rejecting Christ. have you ever noticed that all you boast of is "your Church" you pope, your religion, dont come here to Glorify Christ, nor God, but promote your religion, see that in itself should be enough to turn any one with"eyes to see" to not want to be a part of it.

Still doesnt change teh facts. Was your case heavy, have you not read.

Mat 11:28 Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.
Mat 11:29 Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls.
Mat 11:30 For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light

You should give Him a chance than you wont have to rest your case it wont be such a burden.
You should have a discussion with the JWs and see if they cannot convince you that there church it the "lords" church, the just dont yell as loud as you do,
This moronic statement is coming from a person who is completely ignorant of what Christ's Church is.
Allow me to educate to:

[SIZE=12pt]Jesus established ONE Church (Matt. 16:16-19). He prayed fervently that this Church remain ONE - as He and the Father are ONE (John 17:20-23).
There is NO other.
[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Jesus is Truth itself (John 14:6).[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Jesus promised His Church that the Holy Spirit would guide her to ALL Truth (John 16:12-15).[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]The Church is the Pillar and Foundation of Truth (1 Tim. 3:15).[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]The Church is the Body of Christ and He is the Head (1 Cor. 12:12-31, Eph. 4:3-6, Col. 1:8).[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]The Church is the FULLNESS of Christ (Eph. 1:22-23).[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Jesus identifies His very SELF with His Church (Acts 9:4-5).[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Jesus gave the Church supreme Authority on earth and whatever it ordains on earth is also ordained in heaven (Matt. 16:18-19, 18:15-18, Luke 10:16, John 20:21-23).[/SIZE]

Jesus and His Church are inseparable, my Scripturally-bankrupt friend.
To boast in Christ's Church is to boast Christ (1 Cor. 1:31, 2 Cor. 10:17, Gal. 6:14).

michaelvpardo

Feb 26, 2011
East Stroudsburg, PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
BreadOfLife said:
Then, if you're going to "proclaim" - make sure you have evidence for that proclamation.
Don't just go off half-cocked, leveling false accusations.

A better way of making the claim that you did would be something like, "If memory serves - didn't the Jerusalem Bible add and delete certain verses."
Thanks for the advice, I'll remember that the next time the Lord gives me the unction to proclaim truth. He's not that big into providing evidence in the areas of faith, but He has always confirmed the word of His prophets. Are you asking for some personal sign? That's about all the evidence the Lord gives on my behalf, but perhaps He'll accommodate you, though I don't imagine that it will be pleasant.

Reactions: bbyrd009

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
This is the most idiotic remark about the papacy I have ever seen. Cheap news tabloids is not a good source.
but you are going to finish with a meme from the pope?

1 Sam. 8 has nothing to do with the papacy.
in your opinion, perhaps

That is a lie. Catholics are free to disagree, we are not free to rebel, and rebellion is the basis of your privately constructed system.
so, we could split hairs now over "disagree" and "rebel" if you like...but Catholics are perfectly free to rebel, lots of former Catholics have rebelled; they are some of my fave authors right now lol.

Yes, you are an authority unto yourself.
I am of the Body of Christ, and i am counseled to seek my own salvation, with fear and trembling. It is my works that will be tested with fire. I must reap what i sow. I already provided some preliminary Witnesses for my authority, and i notice you aren't addressing them. My authority is Christ, and i need no intercessor; would you like to see those verses too?

You have a perverted view of the sacraments.
i beg your pardon? is unsupported put-downs all you got? then have a nice day

Status
Not open for further replies.