Why are there so many versions of the Bible?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Status
Not open for further replies.

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
sorry, but that all burns at about 450, and that building was designed to take a hit by a jet massing more than that one, so you would do better to just start writing novels imo.

michaelvpardo

Feb 26, 2011
East Stroudsburg, PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
bbyrd009 said:
right, the fact that you vote and pay taxes and pledge allegiance proilly won't be enough to convict you lol. And gee, i'm being called a bunch of names now, what a surprise.

Have a nice day.
I only say a pledge of allegiance at Union meetings as the pledge has been banned in most public venues in the USA.
Are you suggesting that I ignore my ordained responsibility to pay taxes and obey the government? You do know that the Son of God taught us to obey all authority, righteous or otherwise, don't you?
You do understand that the United States of America is not now, nor has ever been a democracy, but is a republic.
You do realize that refusal to obey Jesus Christ's teaching is rebellion against God, don't you?
I'm not going to tell you to have a nice day. I'm going to pray the Lord harasses you, and gives you sleepless nights, and illness that tortures you with fever and pain until you recognize your own rebellious attitude toward God and Christ and repent (turn to Jesus Christ for forgiveness and restoration).
I've know Lebanese folk, even have some in my family, and Palestinians who've taken refuge outside of Palestine. They don't want justice or peace, they just want revenge, a pound of flesh, for the life that God has given them, and since they can't attack God, they attack His people.
Lots of people have bad lives, even people born in the USA. Lots of people die because of unrighteous acts, those done by individuals and those done by nations. Death comes to us all, and peacefully to very few, but God is not to blame for this, we are.
If I imagined that my god wanted me to kill people to prove my faithfulness to him, I might kill myself to do so and do no harm to innocents, but the Lord makes no such requests and instead says that He will tread out "the grapes of wrath" Himself.
We have a record in scripture of God ordering the tribes of Israel to put the Canaanites to the ban (dedicated as holy for destruction), but this was for the grievousness of their sin (as judgment) and done knowing that the tribes, being human and of a rebellious nature, would never accomplish all that they were commanded to do. That is, when God ordered the destruction of all the Canaanites, He already knew that this wasn't going to happen. He already knew that the Jews would forget His law and do what their own minds thought right, including worshiping the false gods of Canaan, and would be taken out of their own lands by invading armies to serve other gods. You'll actually find this in scripture if you take the time to read it and I would recommend starting with the book of Deuteronomy, the book of the Law that Jesus quoted more than any other Old Testament texts.

michaelvpardo

Feb 26, 2011
East Stroudsburg, PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
bbyrd009 said:
sorry, but that all burns at about 450, and that building was designed to take a hit by a jet massing more than that one, so you would do better to just start writing novels imo.
Nonsense, I would recommend that you watch a home safety video about fires and see what kind of temperatures are derived from the contents of one small room. I realize that you don't want to be bothered with facts, and like to bathe in your own ignorance, but I'm forced to watch safety videos every month at work and this information is readily available to anyone who actually wants to know what's true rather than choose to believe a lie.

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
k, when you get anywhere close to 1500 degrees lemme know, and til then i'll just let you be crappy by yourself; i know it is being harder every year to be an Islamophobic bigot, so enjoy it while you can i guess.

epostle1

Sep 24, 2012
Essex
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Born_Again said:
Okay, guys! This is your one and only warning. Get back on track about bible versions or the thread will be closed.

Thanks,

BA
There are two general philosophies translators use when they do their work: formal or complete equivalence and dynamic equivalence. Formal equivalence translations try to give as literal a translation of the original text as possible. Translators using this philosophy try to stick close to the originals, even preserving much of the original word order.

Literal translations are an excellent resource for serious Bible study. Sometimes the meaning of a verse depends on subtle cues in the text; these cues are only preserved by literal translations.

The disadvantage of literal translations is that they are harder to read because more Hebrew and Greek style intrudes into the English text. Compare the following renderings of Leviticus 18:6-10 from the New American Standard Bible (NAS—a literal translation) and the New International Version (NIV—a dynamic translation):
The NAS reads: "None of you shall approach any blood relative of his to uncover nakedness. . . . You shall not uncover the nakedness of your father’s wife; it is your father’s nakedness. The nakedness of your sister, either your father’s daughter or your mother’s daughter, whether born at home or born outside, their nakedness you shall not uncover. The nakedness of your son’s daughter or your daughter’s daughter, their nakedness you shall not uncover; for their nakedness is yours."

The NIV reads: "No one is to approach any close relative to have sexual relations. . . . Do not have sexual relations with your father’s wife; that would dishonor your father. Do not have sexual relations with your sister, either your father’s daughter or your mother’s daughter, whether she was born in the same home or elsewhere. Do not have sexual relations with your son’s daughter or your daughter’s daughter; that would dishonor you."

Because literal translations can be difficult to read, many have produced more readable Bibles using the dynamic equivalence philosophy. According to this view, it does not matter whether the grammar and word order of the original is preserved in English so long as the meaning of the text is preserved. This frees up the translator to use better English style and word choice, producing more readable translations. In the above example, the dynamic equivalence translators were free to use the more readable expression "have sexual relations with" instead of being forced to reproduce the Hebrew idiom "uncover the nakedness of."

The disadvantage of dynamic translation is that there is a price to pay for readability. Dynamic translations lose precision because they omit subtle cues to the meaning of a passage that only literal translations preserve. They also run a greater risk of reading the translators’ doctrinal views into the text because of the greater liberty in how to render it.

For example, dynamic Protestant translations, such as the NIV, tend to translate the Greek word ergon and its derivatives as "work" when it reinforces Protestant doctrine but as something else (such as "deeds" or "doing") when it would serve Catholic doctrine.

The NIV renders Romans 4:2 "If, in fact, Abraham was justified by works (ergon), he had something to boast about—but not before God." This passage is used to support the Protestant doctrine of salvation by faith alone. But the NIV translates the erg- derivatives in Romans 2:6-7 differently: "God ‘will give to each person according to what he has done (erga).’ To those who by persistence in doing (ergou) good seek glory, honor and immortality, he will give eternal life."

If the erg- derivatives were translated consistently as "work" then it would be clear that the passage says God will judge and will give eternal life to those who seek immortality "by persistence in working good"—statements that support the Catholic view of salvation.
Even when there is no doctrinal agenda involved, it is difficult to do word studies in dynamic translations because of inconsistency in how words are rendered. Beyond this, the intent of the sacred author can be obscured.

Toward the literal end of the spectrum are translations such as the King James Version (KJV), the New King James Version (NKJV), the New American Standard (NAS), and the Douay-Rheims Version.

Next come slightly less literal translations, such as the Revised Standard Version (RSV), and the Confraternity Version.

Then there are mostly dynamic translations such as the New International Version (NIV) and the New American Bible (NAB).

And finally, toward the very dynamic end of the spectrum are translations such as the New Jerusalem Bible (NJB), the New English Bible (NEB), the Revised English Bible (REB), the Contemporary English Version (CEV), and the "Good News Bible," whose translation is called Today’s English Version (TEV).

The basic question you need to ask when selecting a Bible version is the purpose you are pursuing. If you simply want a Bible for ordinary reading, a moderate or dynamic version would suffice. This would enable you to read more of the text quickly and comprehend its basic meaning, though it would not give you the details of its meaning, and you would have to watch out more for the translators’ doctrinal views coloring the text.

If you intend to do serious Bible study, a literal translation is what you want. This will enable you to catch more of the detailed implications of the text, but at the price of readability. You have to worry less about the translators’ views coloring the text, though even very literal translations are not free from this entirely.

A second question you will need to ask yourself is whether you want an old or a modern translation. Older versions, such as the King James and the Douay-Rheims, can sound more dignified, authoritative, and inspiring. But they are much harder to read and understand because English has changed in the almost four hundred years since they were done.

So, which Bible is the best? Perhaps the best answer is this: The one you’ll read.

Bible Translations Guide edited by me

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
And whn peopel discver God and accept His holt spirit the ywont need teh bible and there will be no confusion. Whya re tehre so many versions of te hbible, because man made it that way.IE man corrupted the truth so he could have it His way.

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
mjrhealth said:
And whn peopel discver God and accept His holt spirit the ywont need teh bible and there will be no confusion. Whya re tehre so many versions of te hbible, because man made it that way.IE man corrupted the truth so he could have it His way.
I wonder how you might address disagreement, the disagreement of two or three people over some Word on a matter, without any reference? Obviously all 3 should be in agreement if they are hearing, but just as obviously, this is not usually the case. I'm trying to think of an example case...hmm, and one is not coming to mind--which is weird all by itself. All of the pertinent examples that come to mind are just too...nuanced, i guess is the word, for the Book to even address. Like "we should let him do it because he is young and needs the experience, even though yes he will mess it up the first time and we need this to not be messed up" or something like that...ya, that helped lol.

epostle1

Sep 24, 2012
Essex
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Stranger said:
King James Version is the best.

Stranger
King James Version is mentioned in a couple of paragraphs in the above link. I left it out of my post on purpose.

Born_Again

Nov 5, 2014
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Good save, Kepha! Until I read your post I was going to shut it down. :)

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
kepha31 said:
King James Version is mentioned in a couple of paragraphs in the above link. I left it out of my post on purpose.
That's fine. The best never needs advertisement.

Stranger

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Stranger said:
King James Version is the best.

Stranger
How so?
Why does it add non-scriptural text such as in Matt. 6:13?
The following phrase from the KJV is NOT in the original manuscripts and is, in fact from the 1st century document, The Didache:
"For thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory, for ever. Amen."

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
BreadOfLife said:
How so?
Why does it add non-scriptural text such as in Matt. 6:13?
The following phrase from the KJV is NOT in the original manuscripts and is, in fact from the 1st century document, The Didache:
"For thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory, for ever. Amen."
Because it is based on the Majority Text.

It doesn't add it. It translates it.

You don't have the original manuscripts. It is not copied from the Didache.

Stranger

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Stranger said:
Because it is based on the Majority Text.

It doesn't add it. It translates it.

You don't have the original manuscripts. It is not copied from the Didache.

Stranger
Wrong.

This doxology used to be a side note when being handwritten by Catholic scribes because it was said during the mass. It was mistakenly included in the text of Matt. 6.
It was NEVER part of Scripture, but from the Didache, a 1st century Church document:

Didache - Section VIII
1. Let not your fasts be with the hypocrites, for they fast on Mondays and Thursdays, but do you fast on Wednesdays and Fridays.
2. And do not pray as the hypocrites, but as the Lord commanded in his Gospel, pray thus: "Our Father, who art in Heaven, hallowed be thy Name, thy Kingdom come, thy will be done, as in Heaven so also upon earth; give us today our daily bread, and forgive us our debt as we forgive our debtors, and lead us not into trial, but deliver us from the Evil One, for thine is the power and the glory for ever."
3. Pray thus three times a day.

http://www.thedidache.com/

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
BreadOfLife

Sorry. Matt. 6:13 is found in a majority of manuscripts though it is not found in the oldest that we have. Thus it is translated from them, not the Didache.

Stranger

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Stranger said:
BreadOfLife

Sorry. Matt. 6:13 is found in a majority of manuscripts though it is not found in the oldest that we have. Thus it is translated from them, not the Didache.

Stranger
Apparently, you didn't R*E*A*D my last post:
This doxology used to be a side note when being handwritten by Catholic scribes because it was said during the mass.
It was
mistakenly included in the text of Matt. 6.

In other words, this doxology is not included in Catholic Bibles.
Since the manuscripts for the KJV came from the Catholic Church - the side note was included into Matt. 6:13 in Protestant Bibles.

You can NEVER escape the fact that your Canon of Scripture came some 1100 years AFTER the Canon of Scripture was declared by the Catholic Church . . .

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
BreadOfLife said:
Apparently, you didn't R*E*A*D my last post:
This doxology used to be a side note when being handwritten by Catholic scribes because it was said during the mass.
It was
mistakenly included in the text of Matt. 6.

In other words, this doxology is not included in Catholic Bibles.
Since the manuscripts for the KJV came from the Catholic Church - the side note was included into Matt. 6:13 in Protestant Bibles.

You can NEVER escape the fact that your Canon of Scripture came some 1100 years AFTER the Canon of Scripture was declared by the Catholic Church . . .
Apparently you didn't read my last post.

The doxology is found in majority of Greek texts though not the oldest.

Sorry.

Stranger

epostle1

Sep 24, 2012
Essex
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
As I understand it, the doxology was added, but removed when it was realized it wasn't part of original scripture in order to maintain it's purity. It remain in the manuscripts the KJV was translated from. I have no opposition to anyone who favors the KJV. My preference is the RSVCE.
The omission/addition debate of Matt. 6:13 involves hours of research, and hundreds of web sites to nail down who did what, where, and when, and which manuscript, very complicated. It's irrelevant to me because "for thine is the power and the glory for ever" is recited shortly after the Our Father (Lord's Prayer) at every Mass.

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Stranger said:
Apparently you didn't read my last post.

The doxology is found in majority of Greek texts though not the oldest.

Sorry.

Stranger
And your typical strategy of denial in light of the historical facts is noted.
You just can't argue with history . . .

Status
Not open for further replies.