Why are we able to recognize sin in our neighbors?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Here are two ideas:

1. Its a projection of our own sin, which we need to confess and turn over to God.
2. In order to foster compassion and create opportunities to practice our sanctification - our citizenship in God’s Kingdom.

Comments?

EndTimeWine

Nov 5, 2017
Albany
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Here are two ideas:

1. Its a projection of our own sin, which we need to confess and turn over to God.
2. In order to foster compassion and create opportunities to practice our sanctification - our citizenship in God’s Kingdom.

Comments?
That is some of it, but not the sum of it. Not all are hypocrites. Some have cast the beam from their own eyes and can see clearly the beam in their neighbors. Makes no difference to loving your neighbor. This- the second commandment is as great as the first "Hear O' Israel thou art to love thy God with all thy heart, with all thy soul and with all thy strength." It is in love that you would share Christ with your neighbor. The Spirit of discernment allows us to see sin. This is where we become coworkers on behalf of the Kingdom, we bring that which is not sanctified, their Redeemer and Savior. We mediate on behalf of Christ to bring together two parties the sinner and Christ their Redeemer. " For there is one mediator between God and man and that is Jesus" but many mediators between man and Christ.
me·di·a·tor
ˈmēdēˌādər/
noun
noun: mediator; plural noun: mediators
a person who attempts to make people involved in a conflict come to an agreement; a go-between.
"the government appointed a mediator to assist in finding a resolution to the dispute"
synonyms: arbitrator, arbiter, negotiator, conciliator, peacemaker, go-between, middleman, intermediary, moderator, intervenor, intercessor, broker, honest broker, liaison officer; More
umpire, referee, adjudicator, judge
"the mediator in their salary dispute"
John20:21-23
21Again Jesus said to them, “Peace be with you. As the Father has sent Me, so also I am sending you.” 22When He had said this, He breathed on them and said, “Receive the Holy Spirit. 23If you forgive anyone his sins, they are forgiven; if you withhold forgiveness from anyone, it is withheld.”

This is very clear. We bring Christ, if we are rejected, Christ is rejected. The binding and loosening is in that. For if they receive our message and repent they are set free if they reject they remain bound. We determine that only by our presenting Christ and their receiving or rejecting.
Matthew 28:18-20
The Great Commission
…18Then Jesus came to them and said, “All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to Me. 19Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit, 20and teaching them to obey all that I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.”…

In receiving and in the application of baptism you are set free. Now some people may have been baptized and just continue to sin, they simply make void their baptism. For then is understood the saying: James2:18 Faith and Works
…17So too, faith by itself, if it is not complemented by action, is dead. 18But someone will say, “You have faith and I have deeds.” Show me your faith without deeds, and I will show you my faith by my deeds. 19You believe that God is one. Good for you! Even the demons believe that, and shudder!…
And none of this makes a difference to "Love thy neighbor as thy self" For even if your neighbor be in sin we should still show love and kindness, and even praying for them. This our sanctification.
Sanctification is the act or process of acquiring sanctity, of being made or becoming holy. ... To sanctify is to literally "set apart for particular use in a special purpose or work and to make holy or sacred."
So if our neighbor is our enemy, we are called to act greater than the publicans and to love even those who do not love us. Does not mean we love what they do- but do to them what you would have them do unto you. Pray for them! I have some unpleasant neighbors who are into some non-kosher spiritual stuff. I chose to pray for them and be the light of Christ. Though Sodom and Gomorrah will fair better at the judgement than them... and I have shaken them off like the dust on my sandals I am still gracious . And trust me they make it very difficult. And for the most part because of my faith they are rude and unkind to one of my children who is of the age of one of theirs. They were friends at one time. But since they have adopted some occult practices they have come to have a disdain toward myself and family. So love of my neighbor has now boiled down to not being rude to them as they are to me . I keep my child away from them now, to say the least. The devil certainly tries the faith. And now I am at.... I can not bring myself to pray for them, I physically feel sick when I do. I attribute this to:
Effective Prayer1John5:15-17
…15And if we know that He hears us in whatever we ask, we know that we already possess what we have asked of Him. 16If anyone sees his brother committing a sin not leading to death, he should ask God, who will give life to those who commit this kind of sin. There is a sin that leads to death; I am not saying he should ask regarding that sin. 17All unrighteousness is sin, yet there is sin that does not lead to death.…
So, now I just do not repay them with evil, which too-is love. God Bless!

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We are all hypocrites in many different ways depending on the day. We are also all guilty of constantly projecting our internal reality onto others - faults, perceptions, emotional states, etc. The false term ‘common sense’ is mainly used when our neighbor’s pov differs from our own.

Reactions: bbyrd009

tabletalk

Feb 6, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Because the Scriptures show us what sin is.

Miss Hepburn

Oct 28, 2009
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
First thought... I'm too self centered to care about other people.
Second thought...I don't see any sin...only if they are a
royal pain or not.

Reactions: Helen

breathofdesire

Sep 12, 2017
Queensland
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Here are two ideas:

Comments?
It's not so much a problem to notice someone elses sin, it's how you deal with the person. If you met someone who was cheating on their spouse, would you have a judgmental disdain for them. Or would you be gentle and humble in talking about it.

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
First thought... I'm too self centered to care about other people.
Second thought...I don't see any sin...only if they are a
royal pain or not.
well imo that is bc you are good hearted, but most ppl follow the model of, say, being hyper-judgemental of homosexuals bc they are in denial of being one themselves, or something similar, i guess. I don't even follow the news, but i'm aware of some recent examples there, or "Drug Czars" stepping down after dope parties, etc.

iow only hypocrites judge, essentially

Miss Hepburn

Oct 28, 2009
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sin...well, people make mistakes.. some huge.
I have sat with a murderer confessing to me (done in cold blood as the man begged)
and a big child molester ...
Did I see their sin? I saw a broken, weeping, man in fear....and I saw a warped,
distorted mind that actually thought little girls 'knew' exactly what they were doing
being so cute and adorable and coy and consciously were 'inviting and enticing' him..
seeing nothing wrong in his actions.

I have a friend that is a compulsive liar and klepto, can't go a day without making
something up, we all know ...I see a very screwed up person with major childhood traumas, she has told me about,
that thinks she is superior to us dweebs....that I just know!
That's what I see.

Homosexuals?
They're good neighbors and funny as heck...natural entertainers for some reason!

That's what I see!

Last edited:

DPMartin

Jan 30, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Here are two ideas:

Comments?

I don't see how its a projection. human nature recognizes human nature, and human nature is not God's nature (meaning likeness or image). Dogs recognize dogs, cats recognize cats. and God recognizes His own who have His nature, and is recognized by His own.

how did Jesus say it?

Luk 13:24 Strive to enter in at the strait gate: for many, I say unto you, will seek to enter in, and shall not be able. 25 When once the master of the house is risen up, and hath shut to the door, and ye begin to stand without, and to knock at the door, saying, Lord, Lord, open unto us; and he shall answer and say unto you, I know you not whence ye are: 26 Then shall ye begin to say, We have eaten and drunk in thy presence, and thou hast taught in our streets. 27 But he shall say, I tell you, I know you not whence ye are; depart from me, all ye workers of iniquity.

Miss Hepburn

Oct 28, 2009
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
the eye is the lamp of the body
You know that is referring to the Inner Spirtual Eye, right?....if it's single thy whole body will be full of light?
It's a tuffy for most to get that is literal.

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country

Miss Hepburn

Oct 28, 2009
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
know? no
hmm. ok,
i "see" what you are saying.
oh, i thot you were just now trying to convince me that was spiritual?
Of course , its spiritual; this isn't the Car Repair Forum... :D
Not your fault, the eye being single and you then being full of light is not taught in the West as literal...I have heard TV preachers even say it was the light of 'understanding '.
Um, no...it's the Light that fills your entire body....Luke 11:36 KJV
And, Sure, a whole bunch of understanding follows. ;]

Maybe some here have exp'd this light themselves..many people will say,
"Yeah, when I was a kid I used to see that light with my eyes closed.."
It is the Inner spiritual eye..singular...in your head...gotta focus, tho...
Being still...going to the Secret Place....Ps 91
( But not a stillness for 10 min...it is a stillness almost more than you can imagine.)
Me? I can sit for 3-6 hrs...ya gotta have the desire to see and be with God tho...otherwise the monkey mind will make you want to get up a have some ice cream.

You can be as close to God as you want to; just depends how much time you
want to put into it. -Joyce Meyer

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
( But not a stillness for 10 min...it is a stillness almost more than you can imagine.)
"absent from the body" might even be a good way to describe it, huh
Um, no...it's the Light that fills your entire body
iow, briefly, what you profess "seeing" is an indication of your spiritual state

Last edited:
Reactions: Miss Hepburn

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Here are two ideas:

Comments?
#1. is correct. because we cannot get the plank out of our own eyes first. Matthew 7:5 "Thou hypocrite, first cast out the beam out of thine own eye; and then shalt thou see clearly to cast out the mote out of thy brother's eye".

#2. is correct. James 4:1-3 "From whence come wars and fightings among you? come they not hence, even of your lusts that war in your members? Ye lust, and have not: ye kill, and desire to have, and cannot obtain: ye fight and war, yet ye have not, because ye ask not. Ye ask, and receive not, because ye ask amiss, that ye may consume it upon your lusts".

peace in Christ Jesus, Yeshua.

Reactions: aspen

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
#1. is correct. because we cannot get the plank out of our own eyes first. Matthew 7:5 "Thou hypocrite, first cast out the beam out of thine own eye; and then shalt thou see clearly to cast out the mote out of thy brother's eye".

#2. is correct. James 4:1-3 "From whence come wars and fightings among you? come they not hence, even of your lusts that war in your members? Ye lust, and have not: ye kill, and desire to have, and cannot obtain: ye fight and war, yet ye have not, because ye ask not. Ye ask, and receive not, because ye ask amiss, that ye may consume it upon your lusts".

peace in Christ Jesus, Yeshua.

Thank you for the verses and insight.