Why did God wait...

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

face2face

Jun 22, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
...Till after the Romans afflicted Paul and Silas with many stripes, "beyond measure", before providing the earthquake?

About midnight Paul and Silas were praying and singing hymns to God, and the prisoners were listening to them, and suddenly there was a great earthquake, so that the foundations of the prison were shaken. Acts 16:25–26.

What divine principles can be revealed from this event?

F2F

Jack

May 3, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
...Till after the Romans afflicted Paul and Silas with many stripes, "beyond measure", before providing the earthquake?

About midnight Paul and Silas were praying and singing hymns to God, and the prisoners were listening to them, and suddenly there was a great earthquake, so that the foundations of the prison were shaken. Acts 16:25–26.

F2F
God does it His way! He doesn't ask permission.

gordon7

Mar 21, 2023
Ireland
Faith
Christian
Country
Ireland

F2F
How can apostle Paul testify about the testimony of Christ, unless the things that happened to him would give him the record to testify..

Acts 9:15 But the Lord said unto him, Go thy way: for he is a chosen vessel unto me, to bear my name before the Gentiles, and kings, and the children of Israel:
16 For I will shew him how great things he must suffer for my name's sake.

Acts 26:21 For these causes the Jews caught me in the temple, and went about to kill me.
22 Having therefore obtained help of God, I continue unto this day, witnessing both to small and great, saying none other things than those which the prophets and Moses did say should come:
23 That Christ should suffer, and that he should be the first that should rise from the dead, and should shew light unto the people, and to the Gentiles.

2 Corinthians 11:23 Are they ministers of Christ? (I speak as a fool) I am more; in labours more abundant, in stripes above measure, in prisons more frequent, in deaths oft.
24 Of the Jews five times received I forty stripes save one.
25 Thrice was I beaten with rods, once was I stoned, thrice I suffered shipwreck, a night and a day I have been in the deep;
26 In journeyings often, in perils of waters, in perils of robbers, in perils by mine own countrymen, in perils by the heathen, in perils in the city, in perils in the wilderness, in perils in the sea, in perils among false brethren;
27 In weariness and painfulness, in watchings often, in hunger and thirst, in fastings often, in cold and nakedness.
28 Beside those things that are without, that which cometh upon me daily, the care of all the churches.
29 Who is weak, and I am not weak? who is offended, and I burn not?
30 If I must needs glory, I will glory of the things which concern mine infirmities.
31 The God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, which is blessed for evermore, knoweth that I lie not.
32 In Damascus the governor under Aretas the king kept the city of the damascenes with a garrison, desirous to apprehend me:
33 And through a window in a basket was I let down by the wall, and escaped his hands.

Reactions: face2face

RedFan

May 15, 2022
New Hampshire
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, which is blessed for evermore, knoweth that I lie not.

Someone who gives his testimony, and then feels to compelled to add "And I'm not lying," obviously thinks he may have a credibility problem. But such a statement as Paul makes here (2 Cor. 11:31) doesn't add anything of substance. Why would Paul think it relevant to say this? If he thinks his veracity about all his travails might be questioned, adding this does nothing to enhance it.

(My mother used to say "as God is my witness" all the time to back up her declarations. And I always replied, "OK, call Him to the stand, so I can cross-examine Him.")

face2face

Jun 22, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Someone who gives his testimony, and then feels to compelled to add "And I'm not lying," obviously thinks he may have a credibility problem. But such a statement as Paul makes here (2 Cor. 11:31) doesn't add anything of substance. Why would Paul think it relevant to say this? If he thinks his veracity about all his travails might be questioned, adding this does nothing to enhance it.

(My mother used to say "as God is my witness" all the time to back up her declarations. And I always replied, "OK, call Him to the stand, so I can cross-examine Him.")
This is an interesting post Red. I believe Paul did have credibility issues in the beginning which is why he made it clear to the other Apostles in Jerusalem that he has seen the Lord, spoke to the Lord and carried out the ministry. It was important for Paul to stand alone as an Apostle.

Invoking God as his witness must have been his only means of gaining that credibility with some (an issue raised also in 13:3).

13:3 since you are demanding proof that Christ is speaking through me. He is not weak toward you but is powerful among you

Paul was right to validate his boasting in weakness and authenticating his ministry.

F2F

Reactions: RedFan

face2face

Jun 22, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
How can apostle Paul testify about the testimony of Christ, unless the things that happened to him would give him the record to testify..
Like this...speaks to Christ filling up the sufferings of Christ from which people gain strength, faith and hope. The animal kingdom is the same, the antelope gives its life for the lioness to feed her cubs. By Paul's stripes many were saved.

face2face

Jun 22, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

Giving this some more thought...I can see in 2 Corinthians Paul was being pushed very hard by a church really struggling with so many different issues. I can see why he would evoke God as his witness etc. Actually speaks to his great love of his brothers and sisters.
F2F

gordon7

Mar 21, 2023
Ireland
Faith
Christian
Country
Ireland

Paul testifies to the world, and assumes he lies, because it is too great to think a liar has found the truth. ( but more than a mother or any other persons claims, Paul does have the Lord God on his side, as He sent him into all the world, and THIS IS HOW, Paul knows he does not lie.)

gordon7

Mar 21, 2023
Ireland
Faith
Christian
Country
Ireland
Like this...speaks to Christ filling up the sufferings of Christ from which people gain strength, faith and hope. The animal kingdom is the same, the antelope gives its life for the lioness to feed her cubs. By Paul's stripes many were saved.
Paul cant have stripes unless God has chosen him for stripes.

We also cant have faith, without the same tribulations. ( not as a lionness giving food for the cubs, as it is our own faith from God and sufferings of Christ in us, that save us)

Acts 14:22 Confirming the souls of the disciples, and exhorting them to continue in the faith, and that we must through much tribulation enter into the kingdom of God.

2 Corinthians 1:5 For as the sufferings of Christ abound in us, so our consolation also aboundeth by Christ.

1 Peter 4:13 But rejoice, inasmuch as ye are partakers of Christ's sufferings; that, when his glory shall be revealed, ye may be glad also with exceeding joy.

Of course Pauls stripes save nobody, it is what is testified that saves, of an apostle, believer/preacher of the gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ, not seeking for himself, pleasing all men, their profit, that he might save many...

1 Corinthians 10:33 Even as I please all men in all things, not seeking mine own profit, but the profit of many, that they may be saved.