Why did Jesus not know who touched him in Luke 8:45?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

TonyChanYT

Sep 13, 2023
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
The question assumes that Jesus did not know who touched him in Luke 8:45.

46 But Jesus said, “Someone touched me; I know that power has gone out from me.”
People were crowding him and touching him. Yet, Jesus singled out a special touching instance of someone's faith. He raised the question so that the person would confess—confession is good for the soul—and focus the spotlight on her.

47 Then the woman, seeing that she could not go unnoticed, came trembling and fell at his feet. In the presence of all the people, she told why she had touched him and how she had been instantly healed.
Now everyone knows, and her act is a testimony for them and us. Being as gracious as ever, Jesus said to her,

48 “Daughter, your faith has healed you. Go in peace.”

There is no need to assume that Jesus did not know who touched him in Luke 8:45. A better question is this: Why did Jesus ask: Who touched me in Luke 8:45?

So that the woman would confess and her act would become a testimony for the world to see.

JohnDB

Feb 7, 2010
TN
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
But...
The message was in WHERE she touched him.

Every Rabbi wore a shawl. The fringes (613 of them) were tied in a manner to create 5 spaces between them symbolizing the Torah. A type of "wings". Heavy word play going on here.

In Malachi it speaks of the Messiah rising up with healing in his "wings".
When she touched his fringes of his shawl and was hoping for healing...she was saying that He was indeed the Messiah and Jesus gave her that healing as if it was nothing more than a business card or candy kept in his pocket for giving out.

EVERYONE who proclaimed Jesus is the Messiah received healing or something special that only God could give them.

1716390008459.png

Reactions: marks

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The question assumes that Jesus did not know who touched him in Luke 8:45.

People were crowding him and touching him. Yet, Jesus singled out a special touching instance of someone's faith. He raised the question so that the person would confess—confession is good for the soul—and focus the spotlight on her.

Now everyone knows, and her act is a testimony for them and us. Being as gracious as ever, Jesus said to her,

There is no need to assume that Jesus did not know who touched him in Luke 8:45. A better question is this: Why did Jesus ask: Who touched me in Luke 8:45?

So that the woman would confess and her act would become a testimony for the world to see.
Certainly he did know. I believe Jesus was playing a role - he was setting an example for us.