Why did the blind man see men like trees walking when Jesus touched him?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Deep Truth

Mar 6, 2024
Minnesota
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And they (Jesus and the disciples) came to Bethsaida. And some people brought to him a blind man and begged him to touch him. (23) And he took the blind man by the hand and led him out of the village, and when he had spit on his eyes and laid his hands on him, he asked him, "Do you see anything?" (24) And he looked up and said, "I see men, but they look like trees, walking." (25) Then Jesus laid his hands on his eyes again; and he opened his eyes, his sight was restored, and he saw everything clearly, Mark 8:22-25.

Trees walking 1.png
When I read this story of the blind man, I thought it was unique due to the fact its the only time when Jesus had to lay his hands on someone twice before they were totally healed. And after contemplating a while about the peculiar two stage process that Jesus used to restore this man's sight, I had several questions concerning this miraculous event.
  • Why was the blind man's vision only partially healed when Jesus first touched him?
  • Was it because the people who brought the blind man to Jesus had little faith?
  • Or did Jesus get out of the wrong side of bed that day and was not walking in the full power of the Holy Spirit?
  • Why did Jesus have to touch this man's eyes a second time before his sight was completely restored?
  • Could there possibly be a spiritual meaning hidden within this story?
  • Or am I asking difficult questions about a few minor details that may not have any meaning in them after all?
  • Am I being too spiritually nit-picky?
Although I didn't know the answers to these puzzling questions, I knew if there was an answer to be found it would be hidden in the scriptures.
  • The first important rule when studying the Bible is to humble ourselves and pray, asking Jesus for wisdom and understanding of the scriptures, Matthew 13:36, Jeremiah 33:3.
  • The second rule is to read a story in its context to see if the adjacent scriptures might shed any light on a possible hidden meaning.
  • And the third rule is to diligently search for other scriptures that might be spiritually related to a particular story.
Jesus and his disciples feed a crowd of 4,000 with 7 loaves and a few fish
With this in mind lets read the story of the blind man in context starting with Mark 8:1-12. Jesus with the help of his disciples miraculously feed a crowd of 4,000 with 7 loaves and a few fish and there were 7 baskets of broken pieces left over. After this they entered a boat and went to Dalmanutha where the Pharisees began to argue with Jesus seeking a sign to test him. Jesus said, "Why does this generation seek after a sign? Truly, I say to you, no sign will be given to this generation."

Jesus warned his disciples to beware of the leaven of the Pharisees
Then Jesus and the disciples entered the boat again when he cautioned them “to beware of the leaven of the Pharisees." The disciples did not bring any left-over bread after feeding the crowd of 4,000, and there was only one loaf in the boat, so they began to discuss the fact of having no bread in response to Jesus warning about the leaven of the Pharisees, Mark 8:13-16.

Do you not yet perceive or understand?
Jesus, aware of this, said to them, "Why are you discussing the fact that you have no bread? Do you not yet perceive or understand? Are your hearts hardened? Having eyes do you not see, and having ears do you not hear? And do you not remember? When I broke the five loaves for the five thousand, how many baskets full of broken pieces did you take up?" They said to him, "Twelve." "And the seven for the four thousand, how many baskets full of broken pieces did you take up?" And they said to him, "Seven." And he said to them, "Do you not yet understand?" Mark 8:17-21
Jesus was telling his spiritually blinded disciples that they shouldn't be concerned about the lack of bread since he just fed 4,000 people with 7 loaves. And then he said, "How is it that you fail to understand that I did not speak about bread? Beware of the leaven of the Pharisees and Sadducees." After Jesus spoke a second time to his disciples they understood to beware of the leavened and corrupted teaching of the Pharisees and Sadducees, Matthew 16:11-12

The blind man sees men like trees walking after Jesus touched him
When they came to Bethsaida Jesus touched a blind man's eyes and he said, "I see men, but they look like trees, walking." Jesus then laid his hands on the man's eyes a second time and when he opened them his sight was completely restored and he saw everything clearly, Mark 8:21-25.

After this peculiar two stage healing of the blind man Jesus asked his disciples, "Who do you say that I am?"
  • Mark 8:27-29 And Jesus went on with his disciples to the villages of Caesarea Philippi. And on the way he asked his disciples, "Who do people say that I am?" (28) And they told him, "John the Baptist; and others say, Elijah; and others, one of the prophets." (29) And he asked them, "But who do you say that I am?" Peter answered him, "You are the Christ."
  • Matthew 16:17 And Jesus answered him, "Blessed are you, Simon Bar-Jonah! For flesh and blood has not revealed this to you, but my Father who is in heaven.
The disciples first recognized Jesus as Israel's Messiah not by their human intellect or through the wisdom of man, but by revelation from the Father in heaven.

Then Jesus told his disciples that he would be killed and rise again after three days when Peter began to rebuke him for saying this. Jesus replied to Peter, “Get behind me, Satan! For you are not setting your mind on the things of God but on the things of man”, Mark 8:31-33.

At this point it's important to understand the scriptures describe two completely different Messiahs that would come to Israel. One Messiah is a conquering King similar to David who will deliver Israel from all their enemies. While the other Messiah is a suffering servant like Joseph who was betrayed by his brothers, thrown into a pit and sold as a slave to Egypt.

The disciples first revelation of Jesus
was distorted by their expectation for a Messiah King
As I said the first revelation that was given to the disciples was Jesus is the Messiah. However because of their flawed reasoning they believed Jesus was their conquering King who would deliver Israel from their submission to the Roman government, Luke 24:21. And this is why Peter rebuked Jesus when he spoke about his death and resurrection after 3 days.

Since the disciples did not yet understand that Jesus came to die on the cross as Israel's suffering Messiah, their first revelation from the Father was partial and limited, and it was also distorted by the disciples hope for a victorious Messiah King, Mark 9:31-32, Luke 9:44-45, 18:31-34, 24:21.

And at this point in time the disciples initial perception of their Messiah was vague and inaccurate, just like the blind man who saw men like trees walking when Jesus first laid hands on him.

What the disciples needed was a second touch of revelation so they could recognize Jesus as their suffering Messiah, just as the second touch from the Lord completely healed the blind man who at first saw men like trees walking.

Two discouraged disciples on the road to Emmaus
do not recognize Jesus on the day of his resurrection
On the day of the resurrection Mary Magdalene, Joanna and Mary the mother of James told the disciples that the tomb was empty and how two men in dazzling apparel said Jesus has risen, but the disciples did not believe them, Luke 24:10-12.

Later that day Jesus approached two of his disciples walking on the road to Emmaus, however the spiritually blinded disciples did not recognize their risen Savior.

The two discouraged disciples began to explain to their new acquaintance that Jesus was a mighty prophet of God who was crucified and how they hoped he was the Messiah who would redeem Israel (as their conquering King). The disciples went on to say how a few women went to the tomb that day and said it was empty and how some angels said Jesus was alive, Luke 24:13-32.

Emmaus.png

- Continued -

Reactions: Phil . and TLHKAJ

Deep Truth

Mar 6, 2024
Minnesota
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
A second touch of revelation opens the disciples spiritually blinded eyes
Jesus said to his disciples, "O foolish ones, and slow of heart to believe all that the prophets have spoken! Was it not necessary that the Christ should suffer these things and enter into his glory?" Luke 24:25-26

Jesus then explained the scriptures concerning his death and resurrection to his spiritually blinded disciples, and when he broke bread and gave it to them their eyes were opened and they recognized their resurrected suffering Messiah who became broken on the cross for their sins.

This story of the two disciples who failed to recognize Jesus as their resurrected Savior, reveals this is the Lord's second healing touch for his partially blinded disciples who incorrectly believed Jesus was their Messiah and King who would redeem Israel from their submission to Rome.

Now instead of grieving over their imaginary King whom they thought was defeated and dead in the tomb, the two disciples now see Jesus clearly for the first time in the scriptures as their victorious resurrected Messiah who came to suffer and die for their sins.

After this Jesus appeared to eleven of his disciples in Jerusalem when doubts arose in their hearts since they thought he was a spirit, Luke 24:37. Jesus then opened the minds of his doubting disciples to understand the scriptures concerning his death and resurrection.

This again is the second touch of revelation that healed the disciples spiritual blindness to God's Word so they could clearly recognize Jesus as their victorious risen Savior and Lord, Luke 24:33-49.

disciples j 3.png

The story of the blind man who at first saw men like trees walking may appear to be just a miraculous two stage healing; however in context, it's meant to be a symbolic picture for the partially blinded disciples who did not recognize their suffering Messiah until after the resurrection, when they were given a second healing touch of eye opening revelation to understand the scriptures.

I believe there are several important spiritual lessons that are being revealed in this two stage process that Jesus used to restore the blind mans sight.
  • God progressively opens our blinded eyes to his mysterious Word in stages, to whom he wants and at the specific time that he chooses, Dan 12:4, Mat 11:25.
  • Daniel 12:4 But you, Daniel, shut up the words and seal the book, until the time of the end. Many shall run to and fro, and knowledge shall increase."
  • When God gives us a partial revelation of his Word we can make the mistake of distorting it with our flawed and blinded reasoning, just as the disciples did when they incorrectly believed Jesus was their Messiah King who came to redeem Israel.
  • The more we stubbornly hold on to our inaccurate interpretation of scripture the more challenging it will be to accept the truth, just as Peter could not accept the truth when Jesus said he was going to be crucified, Mark 8:31-33.
  • God gives us progressively deeper and deeper revelations as we desire to grow closer in our walk of knowing Jesus. For example, at first the disciples knew Jesus was their Messiah, however it was not until after the resurrection when they recognized Jesus as the suffering Messiah. And later through a vision Peter understood the gospel was to be shared with the Gentiles (John 10:16, Acts 10-11), and that true circumcision is of the heart by the Spirit, Galatians 2.
  • When we are first saved we know that our sins have been forgiven in our childlike understanding of the Father, 1 John 2:12. This is a result of God's first touch of revelation that opens our blinded eyes so we may be able to believe in Jesus as our Savior.
  • And if we abide in Jesus and his Word, we will grow into strong young men who will overcome the evil one, John 15:5, 1 John 2:13-14.
  • Then if we continue on in our lifelong path of following God we will become spiritual fathers who know Christ who is from the beginning. Spiritual fathers have matured through years of walking with Jesus in faith and love while they suffer persecution in total dependence on the Lord's strength and power, as they seek to know their Bridegroom through deeper and deeper revelations from the Spirit and the Word, 1 Corinthians 4:15, 2 Corinthians 12:10.
  • Philippians 3:8, 10 For his sake I have suffered the loss of all things and count them as rubbish, in order that I may gain Christ....(10) that I may know him and the power of his resurrection, and may share his sufferings, becoming like him in his death,
The blind man's blurred vision when Jesus first touched him is also symbolic for our vague and limited understanding when we first read a scriptural story, that we can misinterpret with our sin corrupted reasoning just as the disciples did when they incorrectly believed Jesus was their conquering King, Proverbs 3:5-7.
  • Proverbs 8:13 If one gives an answer (about scripture from his blind and imperfect human reasoning) before he hears (knowledge and truth from the Holy Spirit), it is his folly and shame, 1 Corinthians 3:18-19.
However if we continue to seek after God and ask him for wisdom and understanding, we will receive a second touch of eye opening revelation from the Spirit so we may be able to perceive and clearly understand the deep prophetic truths that Jesus has hidden within his mysterious Word, Proverbs 2:1-7, 1 Corinthians 2:12-14, 1 John 2:27, John 16:13.
  • Proverbs 25:2 It is the glory of God to conceal things, but the glory of kings is to search things out.
  • Jeremiah 33:3 Call to me and I will answer you, and will tell you great and hidden things that you have not known.
  • 1 Corinthians 13:12 For now we see in a mirror dimly, but then face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I have been fully known.

Last edited:
Reactions: amadeus

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

Why did the blind man see men like trees walking when Jesus touched him?​

Haven't you seen Jews waving their arms? :contemplate:

Randy Kluth

Apr 27, 2020
Pacific NW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Why was the blind man's vision only partially healed when Jesus first touched him?
My thought may be close to how you're thinking. I believe the double-prayer reflected a theme in Israel's history of having to pass twice through a test. There were 2 generations that passed through the wilderness. The 1st generation was weak, and had to rely on the next generation to complete the passage.

So it was not that Jesus couldn't have healed the man in one touch, but that weak men require the time and process necessary to deal with their weakness. Even if a complete healing is our destiny, we will have to go through deserts in our experience with God, seemingly falling short, before ultimate victory.

TribulationSigns

May 1, 2023
Somewhere west of Mississippi River
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Deep Truth
Actualy Christ was trying to show us something that requires spiritual discernement. And often it depends upon the context and our Spiritual vision of the parabolic mystery of the passage in question. For example, God often speaks of men as trees in the Bible. Few people understand that this is to enlighten us in passages like Revelation where God says don't hurt the trees. It's a mystery/secret until we have our spiritual eyes opened to understand the interpretation. For example, how one will see these men appearing as trees, and another will be Spiritually restored to understand and see these trees are "representing" men. To many, this is carelessness, foolishness, or the spiritualizing nonsense of the simple, but to whom it is given, it is a revelation of the mystery that we receive when we are part of the restoration of Israel.

Mark 8:23-25
  • "And he took the blind man by the hand, and led him out of the town; and when he had spit on his eyes, and put his hands upon him, he asked him if he saw ought.
  • And he looked up, and said, I see men as trees, walking.
  • After that he put his hands again upon his eyes, and made him look up: and he was restored, and saw every man clearly."
There is a REASON. It is spiritually discerned that the blind man saw those men as trees "before" He was fully restored by Christ. Only after that did he see that the trees were "actually" men. Selah.

With this spiritual understanding, we can go to the book of Revelation where God is talking about His people... as "trees walking". For example:

Rev 7:2-3
(2) And I saw another angel ascending from the east, having the seal of the living God: and he cried with a loud voice to the four angels, to whom it was given to hurt the earth and the sea,
(3) Saying, Hurt not the earth, neither the sea, nor the trees, till we have sealed the servants of our God in their foreheads.

Rev 9:2-6

(2) And he opened the bottomless pit; and there arose a smoke out of the pit, as the smoke of a great furnace; and the sun and the air were darkened by reason of the smoke of the pit.
(3) And there came out of the smoke locusts upon the earth: and unto them was given power, as the scorpions of the earth have power.
(4) And it was commanded them that they should not hurt the grass of the earth, neither any green thing, neither any tree; but only those men which have not the seal of God in their foreheads.
(5) And to them it was given that they should not kill them, but that they should be tormented five months: and their torment was as the torment of a scorpion, when he striketh a man.
(6) And in those days shall men seek death, and shall not find it; and shall desire to die, and death shall flee from them.

Throughout in Scripture, God often sees the grass of the earth, green thing, sea and trees as MEN. More specifically, the people of his congregation. That is why God had restrained Satan from hurt those people for a thousand years until God FIRST sealed His people through the testimony of His Two Witnesses so he could build His church. After all Israel have been sealed, the devastating winds of Satan (spirit) can be loosened through his false prophets and christs to HURT. Please notice that God specifically instructed Satan that he can only hurt men who have not seal of God in their foreheads. That is the point of why we need spiritual eyes to understand this. It is not about a miracle to cure glaucoma, but the gift of sight wherein we first see men as trees, and then understand the spiritual nature in the way God uses this symbolism in Revelation to illustrate the deeper truth - a mystery that only can be revealed to His people at that time -- like today.

Selah.

Deep Truth

Mar 6, 2024
Minnesota
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The story of blind man who had to be touched twice by Jesus before he could clearly see, appears to have a variety of applications.

First its a picture of how the disciples partial blindness to their suffering Messiah was healed when they were touched a second time by Jesus on the day of his resurrection.

It can also represent how God progressively opens our blinded eyes to knowing Jesus more deeply through his Spirit revealed Word.

And it's a longer-term picture for when Israel's 2,000 years of partial blindness to their suffering Messiah will be healed by a spirit of grace at the end of the tribulation, who will look upon him whom they have pierced and shall mourn for him.
  • Romans 11:25 (NKJV) For I do not desire, brethren, that you should be ignorant of this mystery, lest you should be wise in your own opinion, that blindness in part has happened to Israel until the fullness of the Gentiles has come in.
  • Zechariah 12:9-10 And on that day I will seek to destroy all the nations that come against Jerusalem. (10) "And I will pour out on the house of David and the inhabitants of Jerusalem a spirit of grace and pleas for mercy, so that, when they look on me, on him whom they have pierced, they shall mourn for him, as one mourns for an only child, and weep bitterly over him, as one weeps over a firstborn.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And they (Jesus and the disciples) came to Bethsaida. And some people brought to him a blind man and begged him to touch him. (23) And he took the blind man by the hand and led him out of the village, and when he had spit on his eyes and laid his hands on him, he asked him, "Do you see anything?" (24) And he looked up and said, "I see men, but they look like trees, walking." (25) Then Jesus laid his hands on his eyes again; and he opened his eyes, his sight was restored, and he saw everything clearly, Mark 8:22-25.

1co 13:12For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known.
How many touches by Jesus does one need to come from now to then?

grafted branch

Dec 11, 2023
Washington
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And it's a longer-term picture for when Israel's 2,000 years of partial blindness to their suffering Messiah will be healed by a spirit of grace at the end of the tribulation, who will look upon him whom they have pierced and shall mourn for him.
I was going to make a comment about Israel being blind in part yesterday but decided not to, but since you brought this up I’ll tell you where it lead me.

In Luke 21:29-33 there is the parable of the fig tree and all the trees. Some people associate the fig tree with the people of Israel and all the trees with this generation.

The blind man seeing people as trees could be referring to this parable. If this is correct then those who see these things as being fulfilled, also no longer see people as trees, meaning there is no longer a difference or distinction between Jew and Gentile. Those who still make the distinction between Jew and Gentile, then also still see people as trees.

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Trees are used as a metaphor to point to men in The Old Testament Books. God is even compared to a cedar, because a cedar tree stays green year around, pointing to His eternal nature. The kings in Ezekiel 17 were compared to high cedars of Lebanon. Trees represent followers the bramble offered to follow him in the Judges 9 parable.

Isaiah 29, which contains future prophecy about Jerusalem for the end of this world, and beyond, mentions the future day when the eyes of the blind shall see out of obscurity...

Isa 29:17-19
17 Is it not yet a very little while, and Lebanon shall be turned into a fruitful field, and the fruitful field shall be esteemed as a forest?
And in that day shall the deaf hear the words of the book, and the eyes of the blind shall see out of obscurity, and out of darkness.
19 The meek also shall increase their joy in the LORD, and the poor among men shall rejoice in the Holy One of Israel.
KJV

That's about the idea of those who spiritually... have 'eyes to see, and ears to hear'. It is about a deeper spiritual understanding of things, not anything to do with so-called psychics. Recall what Jesus told His Apostles in Matthew 13 when they asked Him why He spoke to the multitude in parables. When Lord Jesus finished revealing parables, He often said something like, "He that hath ears to hear, let him hear," 15 times in The New Testament.

Therefore, I believe that is the idea Lord Jesus may have been pointing to with the healing of the blind man, the idea of both spiritually 'seeing' with spiritual eyes to see, and physical seeing.

BlessedPeace

Aug 22, 2023
Bend
akiane.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

When I read this story of the blind man, I thought it was unique due to the fact its the only time when Jesus had to lay his hands on someone twice before they were totally healed. And after contemplating a while about the peculiar two stage process that Jesus used to restore this man's sight, I had several questions concerning this miraculous event.
  • Why was the blind man's vision only partially healed when Jesus first touched him?
  • Was it because the people who brought the blind man to Jesus had little faith?
  • Or did Jesus get out of the wrong side of bed that day and was not walking in the full power of the Holy Spirit?
  • Why did Jesus have to touch this man's eyes a second time before his sight was completely restored?
  • Could there possibly be a spiritual meaning hidden within this story?
  • Or am I asking difficult questions about a few minor details that may not have any meaning in them after all?
  • Am I being too spiritually nit-picky?
Although I didn't know the answers to these puzzling questions, I knew if there was an answer to be found it would be hidden in the scriptures.
  • The first important rule when studying the Bible is to humble ourselves and pray, asking Jesus for wisdom and understanding of the scriptures, Matthew 13:36, Jeremiah 33:3.
  • The second rule is to read a story in its context to see if the adjacent scriptures might shed any light on a possible hidden meaning.
  • And the third rule is to diligently search for other scriptures that might be spiritually related to a particular story.
Jesus and his disciples feed a crowd of 4,000 with 7 loaves and a few fish
With this in mind lets read the story of the blind man in context starting with Mark 8:1-12. Jesus with the help of his disciples miraculously feed a crowd of 4,000 with 7 loaves and a few fish and there were 7 baskets of broken pieces left over. After this they entered a boat and went to Dalmanutha where the Pharisees began to argue with Jesus seeking a sign to test him. Jesus said, "Why does this generation seek after a sign? Truly, I say to you, no sign will be given to this generation."

Jesus warned his disciples to beware of the leaven of the Pharisees
Then Jesus and the disciples entered the boat again when he cautioned them “to beware of the leaven of the Pharisees." The disciples did not bring any left-over bread after feeding the crowd of 4,000, and there was only one loaf in the boat, so they began to discuss the fact of having no bread in response to Jesus warning about the leaven of the Pharisees, Mark 8:13-16.

Do you not yet perceive or understand?
Jesus, aware of this, said to them, "Why are you discussing the fact that you have no bread? Do you not yet perceive or understand? Are your hearts hardened? Having eyes do you not see, and having ears do you not hear? And do you not remember? When I broke the five loaves for the five thousand, how many baskets full of broken pieces did you take up?" They said to him, "Twelve." "And the seven for the four thousand, how many baskets full of broken pieces did you take up?" And they said to him, "Seven." And he said to them, "Do you not yet understand?" Mark 8:17-21
Jesus was telling his spiritually blinded disciples that they shouldn't be concerned about the lack of bread since he just fed 4,000 people with 7 loaves. And then he said, "How is it that you fail to understand that I did not speak about bread? Beware of the leaven of the Pharisees and Sadducees." After Jesus spoke a second time to his disciples they understood to beware of the leavened and corrupted teaching of the Pharisees and Sadducees, Matthew 16:11-12

The blind man sees men like trees walking after Jesus touched him
When they came to Bethsaida Jesus touched a blind man's eyes and he said, "I see men, but they look like trees, walking." Jesus then laid his hands on the man's eyes a second time and when he opened them his sight was completely restored and he saw everything clearly, Mark 8:21-25.

After this peculiar two stage healing of the blind man Jesus asked his disciples, "Who do you say that I am?"
  • Mark 8:27-29 And Jesus went on with his disciples to the villages of Caesarea Philippi. And on the way he asked his disciples, "Who do people say that I am?" (28) And they told him, "John the Baptist; and others say, Elijah; and others, one of the prophets." (29) And he asked them, "But who do you say that I am?" Peter answered him, "You are the Christ."
  • Matthew 16:17 And Jesus answered him, "Blessed are you, Simon Bar-Jonah! For flesh and blood has not revealed this to you, but my Father who is in heaven.
The disciples first recognized Jesus as Israel's Messiah not by their human intellect or through the wisdom of man, but by revelation from the Father in heaven.

Then Jesus told his disciples that he would be killed and rise again after three days when Peter began to rebuke him for saying this. Jesus replied to Peter, “Get behind me, Satan! For you are not setting your mind on the things of God but on the things of man”, Mark 8:31-33.

At this point it's important to understand the scriptures describe two completely different Messiahs that would come to Israel. One Messiah is a conquering King similar to David who will deliver Israel from all their enemies. While the other Messiah is a suffering servant like Joseph who was betrayed by his brothers, thrown into a pit and sold as a slave to Egypt.

The disciples first revelation of Jesus
was distorted by their expectation for a Messiah King
As I said the first revelation that was given to the disciples was Jesus is the Messiah. However because of their flawed reasoning they believed Jesus was their conquering King who would deliver Israel from their submission to the Roman government, Luke 24:21. And this is why Peter rebuked Jesus when he spoke about his death and resurrection after 3 days.

Since the disciples did not yet understand that Jesus came to die on the cross as Israel's suffering Messiah, their first revelation from the Father was partial and limited, and it was also distorted by the disciples hope for a victorious Messiah King, Mark 9:31-32, Luke 9:44-45, 18:31-34, 24:21.

And at this point in time the disciples initial perception of their Messiah was vague and inaccurate, just like the blind man who saw men like trees walking when Jesus first laid hands on him.

What the disciples needed was a second touch of revelation so they could recognize Jesus as their suffering Messiah, just as the second touch from the Lord completely healed the blind man who at first saw men like trees walking.

Two discouraged disciples on the road to Emmaus
do not recognize Jesus on the day of his resurrection
On the day of the resurrection Mary Magdalene, Joanna and Mary the mother of James told the disciples that the tomb was empty and how two men in dazzling apparel said Jesus has risen, but the disciples did not believe them, Luke 24:10-12.

Later that day Jesus approached two of his disciples walking on the road to Emmaus, however the spiritually blinded disciples did not recognize their risen Savior.

The two discouraged disciples began to explain to their new acquaintance that Jesus was a mighty prophet of God who was crucified and how they hoped he was the Messiah who would redeem Israel (as their conquering King). The disciples went on to say how a few women went to the tomb that day and said it was empty and how some angels said Jesus was alive, Luke 24:13-32.

View attachment 42966

- Continued -

How would a man blind since birth know what trees look like?

Deep Truth

Mar 6, 2024
Minnesota
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
How would a man blind since birth know what trees look like?
Have you ever seen a blind man touch another person, a dog, a tree, or some other object so that he may know what it is? Therefore since this blind man had a rudimentary knowledge of what people and trees were like by his sense of touch, he was able say that he saw men like trees walking, which reveals his sight was partially restored when Jesus first touched him.

But more importantly, since God uses natural pictures to reveal spiritual truth in the scriptures, why did the blind man say that he saw men like trees walking?

As Davy pointed out in his previous reply, trees are used in scripture to represent people. So it appears there is even a deeper meaning hidden within this story that we are still blinded to, unless Jesus opens our spiritual eyes of understanding so that we may see.
  • Psalms 1:1-3 Blessed is the man who walks not in the counsel of the wicked, nor stands in the way of sinners, nor sits in the seat of scoffers; (2) but his delight is in the law of the LORD, and on his law he meditates day and night. (3) He is like a tree planted by streams of water that yields its fruit in its season, and its leaf does not wither. In all that he does, he prospers.
  • Song of Solomon 2:3 She: As an apple tree among the trees of the forest, so is my beloved among the young men. With great delight I sat in his shadow, and his fruit was sweet to my taste.

Reactions: MA2444

TribulationSigns

May 1, 2023
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Maybe. Many whom God heals are gradual healings, not instantaneous! Been there, done that! Cancer!

Thank you for the knowledge that God does not amuse with your sarcastic remarks. Grow up. Clearly, you lacks biblical understanding. Mark 8:24 has nothing to do with "blurry vision" or "cancer." That is NOT the point. You missed what Christ is trying to tell us how "HE" sees trees 'AS" men. Nothing to do with the man's 'gradual" vision improvement. Silly!

TribulationSigns

May 1, 2023
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The story of blind man who had to be touched twice by Jesus before he could clearly see, appears to have a variety of applications.

First its a picture of how the disciples partial blindness to their suffering Messiah was healed when they were touched a second time by Jesus on the day of his resurrection.

It can also represent how God progressively opens our blinded eyes to knowing Jesus more deeply through his Spirit revealed Word.

• Romans 11:25 (NKJV) For I do not desire, brethren, that you should be ignorant of this mystery, lest you should be wise in your own opinion, that blindness in part has happened to Israel until the fullness of the Gentiles has come in.
  • Zechariah 12:9-10 And on that day I will seek to destroy all the nations that come against Jerusalem. (10) "And I will pour out on the house of David and the inhabitants of Jerusalem a spirit of grace and pleas for mercy, so that, when they look on me, on him whom they have pierced, they shall mourn for him, as one mourns for an only child, and weep bitterly over him, as one weeps over a firstborn.

I do not believe the "blindness in part" has anything to do with Mark 8:24. Even Romans and Zechariah did not mention "trees". That is not the point. The point is God has compared men as trees so we can understand better in the book of Revelation where trees are mentioned.

BlessedPeace

Aug 22, 2023
Bend
akiane.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I do not believe the "blindness in part" has anything to do with Mark 8:24. Even Romans and Zechariah did not mention "trees". That is not the point. The point is God has compared men as trees so we can understand better in the book of Revelation where trees are mentioned.
When a tree got us into this mess, I guess it fits.

Jack

May 3, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thank you for the knowledge that God does not amuse with your sarcastic remarks.
Irony!
And more irony!
Clearly, you lacks biblical understanding.
And more irony!
Mark 8:24 has nothing to do with "blurry vision" or "cancer." That is NOT the point. You missed what Christ is trying to tell us how "HE" sees trees 'AS" men. Nothing to do with the man's 'gradual" vision improvement. Silly!
And even more irony!

Last edited: