Why do Catholics adore, worship and deify Mary so much?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Now there you go again misquoing scripture!

Act 2:38...And Peter said to them, "Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins; and you shall receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.
Act 2:39...For the promise is to you and to your children and to all that are far off, every one whom the Lord our God calls to him."

And what is the promise; it is the "promise of salvation" to ANYONE who calls on the name of the Lord. Can an infant call upon the name of the Lord? I don't think so!! An infant calls for MaMa not the Lord - yet!

The thief on the cross was never baptized yet he went to heaven with Jesus. Therefore, children who cannot understand the gospel do not go to hell.

baptism is not required until the death of the savior!
Heb 9:16 For where a testament is, there must also of necessity be the death of the testator.

17 For a testament is of force after men are dead: otherwise it is of no strength at all while the testator liveth.

acts 2:38-39 the promise is from ez 36:25-27

Ez 36:25 Then will I sprinkle clean water upon you, and ye shall be clean: from all your filthiness, and from all your idols, will I cleanse you.

26 A new heart also will I give you, and a new spirit will I put within you: and I will take away the stony heart out of your flesh, and I will give you an heart of flesh.

27 And I will put my spirit within you, and cause you to walk in my statutes, and ye shall keep my judgments, and do them.

notice the new heart and the Holy Spirit!

Romans 5:5
And hope maketh not ashamed; because the love of God is shed abroad in our hearts by the Holy Ghost which is given unto us.

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
no but scripture says not saved until the end!
And just cos you say you’re saved don’t make you saved!

As soon as we accept Jesus we are saved from the consequences of our sin because He - Jesus, the Christ, the Son of the Most High God - paid the ransom when he took all our sin to the cross and set us free. So we are saved when we accept that but we still live in our human bodies with our human natures while he are being spiritually transformed by the supernatural renewing of our minds.

Reactions: GRACE ambassador

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
But when he, the Spirit of truth, comes, he will guide you into all the truth. He will not speak on his own; he will speak only what he hears, and he will tell you what is yet to come.
Have you personally asked the Spirit of Truth to come into you?

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
As soon as we accept Jesus we are saved from the consequences of our sin because He - Jesus, the Christ, the Son of the Most High God - paid the ransom when he took all our sin to the cross and set us free. So we are saved when we accept that but we still live in our human bodies with our human natures while he are being spiritually transformed by the supernatural renewing of our minds.

We become members of Christ in his one true church filled with his spirit and grace
Redeemed
Justified
Then sanctification
Then salvation when we die

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
But when he, the Spirit of truth, comes, he will guide you into all the truth. He will not speak on his own; he will speak only what he hears, and he will tell you what is yet to come.
Have you personally asked the Spirit of Truth to come into you?

applies to the church of the apostles

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
acts 2:39 this promise (ez 36:25/37) it to you’re CHILDREN!!!
The promise is for you and your children and for all who are far off—for all whom the Lord our God will call.”

Absolutely it is. It is for anybody who chooses to accept Jesus. And the promise is open to our children who are no longer babies but old enough to make that choice for themselves. I am a mother. I had three babies. They were and still are my children even though they are now parents themselves.

Moriah's Song

Sep 6, 2021
Murphy
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
baptism is not required until the death of the savior!
Please explain that in your own opinion; not just by posting a list of verses.

Also, even though these two verses in Isaiah do not speak of baptism, it does indicate that the OT writers did not require baptism of infants...

Isa 7:16..For before the child knows how to refuse the evil and choose the good,...
Isa 8:4...for before the child knows how to cry 'My father' or 'My mother,'....​

How is it that there is no indication that Jesus was baptized as an infant?

Reactions: Jim B

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
no but scripture says not saved until the end!
And just cos you say you’re saved don’t make you saved!
NO? So what about this;
Ephesians 2:8-9
For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God— not by works, so that no one can boast.

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
We become members of Christ in his one true church filled with his spirit and grace
Redeemed
Justified
Then sanctification
Then salvation when we die
Please will you clarify what you mean by 'his one true church'

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
applies to the church of the apostles
You are speaking in riddles. I haven't a clue what you mean by that remark. But let me tell you that the Holy Spirit will come to dwell in all those who are spiritually re-born, including me. (But not including infants who are supposed to be born again through so-called baptism).

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Please explain that in your own opinion; not just by posting a list of verses.

Also, even though these two verses in Isaiah do not speak of baptism, it does indicate that the OT writers did not require baptism of infants...

Isa 7:16..For before the child knows how to refuse the evil and choose the good,...
Isa 8:4...for before the child knows how to cry 'My father' or 'My mother,'....​

How is it that there is no indication that Jesus was baptized as an infant?
I didn't understand that remark either.

Moriah's Song

Sep 6, 2021
Murphy
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Rev 5:8...And when he had taken the scroll, the four living creatures and the twenty-four elders fell down before the Lamb, each holding a harp, and with golden bowls full of incense, which are the prayers of the saints;

The prayers of the saints are those saints who are on earth praying up to the Father.

Those prayers to Mary are not a part of them because they were sent to the wrong person.

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Of course I'm not saying that. I don't understand how you get that from the scripture I quoted.

Jesus speaking to the disciple!
Therefore it applies to all of his disciples!
“Behold Thy mother”!!!

Jim B

Jun 5, 2020
Santa Fe NM
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus speaking to the disciple!
Therefore it applies to all of his disciples!
“Behold Thy mother”!!!

That doesn't follow logically. He spoke this to one disciple only: John. Therefore it does not apply to all disciples. He never said that Mary was the mother of all disciples.

Sola scriptura.

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
scripture says you’re not “saved”

Scripture says I AM SAV-ED... !

[QUOTE} matt 24:13 But he that shall endure unto the end, the same shall be saved.

Matthew 10:22
And ye shall be hated of all men for my name's sake: but he that endureth to the end shall be saved.

Mark 13:13
And ye shall be hated of all men for my name's sake: but he that shall endure unto the end, the same shall be saved.

Rev 2:26 And he that overcometh, and keepeth my works unto the end, to him will I give power over the nations:

Heb 3:14 For we are made partakers of Christ, if we hold the beginning of our confidence stedfast unto the end;

Heb 6:11 And we desire that every one of you do shew the same diligence to the full assurance of hope unto the end: [/QUOTE]

You have been told, shown, repeatedly there is a HUGE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN a BELIEVER and a CONVERTED BELIEVER.

All the Scriptures you quoted absolutely DOES apply to a BELIEVER.
All the Scriptures you quoted absolutely
DOES NOT apply to a CONVERTED BELIEVER.

A
BELIEVER...is a kept believer....BY HIS OWN POWER....(IF he doesn’t fall away from believing.... He SHALL RECEIVE his SALVATION WHEN HIS BODY DIES!!!
^ THAT has nothing to do with doing works...it has EVERYTHING to do with IF that man KEPT believing ... by his own power!

A
CONVERTED BELIEVER...is a BELIEVER...BY GODS POWER “IN” that man....and KEPT FROM falls away....BY GODS POWER “IN” him!
THAT MAN “IS” SAVED, while alive in his natural flesh.

* WHAT do you think ...... “IN” Christ means? It means CONVERTED...
It means SAV-ED. <—- DONE, ACCOMPLISHED.
* WHAT do you think...... “CRUCIFIED” with Christ means? It mean that person HAS ALREADY GIVEN THEIR BODY unto DEATH...(they don’t wait .... until their BODY physically dies ..... HOPING they don’t lose FAITH before their body dies......to RECEIVE their SALVATION.

* THAT IS BASIC 101 of the Entire New Testament, of the Greatest Gift God SENT Jesus to OFFER to ALL men!
How do you NOT know that?

Your long list of Scriptures are WARNINGS to the Believer.....WHO IS NOT Converted....that they are IN DANGER....from wicked men and evil spirits of their world that can convince them to reject God......thus they would lose their Salvation when they physically die.

Those Scriptures HAVE NOTHING to with ME, expressly because I am Converted....already SAVED. The Following texts are examples that apply to the CONVERTED......”IN” Christ.....SAVED by FAITH.

Acts 26:
[18] To open their eyes, and to turn them from darkness to light, and from the power of Satan unto God, that they may receive forgiveness of sins, and inheritance among them which are sanctified by faith that is in me.
1 Cor 1:
[2] Unto the church of God which is at Corinth, to them that are sanctified in Christ Jesus, called to be saints, with all that in every place call upon the name of Jesus Christ our Lord, both theirs and ours:
1Cor.6
[11] And such were some of you: but ye are washed, but ye are sanctified, but ye are justified in the name of the Lord Jesus, and by the Spirit of our God.
Heb.2
[11] For both he that sanctifieth and they who are sanctified are all of one: for which cause he is not ashamed to call them brethren...
Heb.10
[10] By the which will we are sanctified through the offering of the body of Jesus Christ once for all.
[14] For by one offering he hath perfected for ever them that are sanctified.
Rom 8
[1] There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.
Rom 12
[5] So we, being many, are one body in Christ, and every one members one of another.
Phil 3
[3] For we are the circumcision, which worship God in the spirit, and rejoice in Christ Jesus, and have no confidence in the flesh.
2 Tim 1:
[9] Who hath saved us, and called us with an holy calling, not according to our works, but according to his own purpose and grace, which was given us in Christ Jesus before the world began,
1 John 3:
[9] Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin; for his seed remaineth in him: and he cannot sin, because he is born of God.

Romans 13:11
And that, knowing the time, that now it is high time to awake out of sleep: for now is our salvation nearer than when we believed.

So salvation by “faith alone” is completely false and impossible!

You keep believing and HOPE (by your own power), you endure, to your end.
That is certainly an option and choice ANYONE can make for themselves.
You keep “working” thinking that “will” SAVE you, when WORKS do not Save a man.

I will Forever Remain SAV-ED according to the WAY God Himself offered and I ACCEPTED and DID According to Gods WAY.

ONCE SAVED....ALWAYS SAVED...
John 10:
[28] And I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish, neither shall any man pluck them out of my hand.

Thanks for revealing what applies to you. Sorry for you.

Reactions: Pearl

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
John 10:
[28] And I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish, neither shall any man pluck them out of my hand.

Thanks for revealing what applies to you. Sorry for you.
@Taken Wonderful promise there in John 10: Father and Son working together for the eternal security of the believer! :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Pearl and Taken

Jim B

Jun 5, 2020
Santa Fe NM
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The OP asks why Catholics adore, worship, and deify Mary so much? Because they go beyond what the Bible clearly says. They have an unBiblical need to elevate Mary far, far beyond who she is scripturally. It's a human addition created by a culture that has a need to distort Scripture to satisfy a human (false) rationale.

Marianismo is an aspect of the female gender role in Hispanic American folk cultures, strictly intertwined with machismo and Roman Catholicism. It revolves around the veneration for feminine virtues like interpersonal harmony, inner strength, self-sacrifice, family, chastity, and morality among Hispanic women. The ideas within marianismo include those of feminine passivity, sexual purity, and self-silencing. Evelyn Stevens states: t teaches that women are semi-divine, morally superior to and spiritually stronger than men." Studies conducted on marianismo have concluded that Hispanic women who ascribe to this particular female gender role are more likely to engage in high-risk sexual behaviors, gender-based violence, and experience negative mental health outcomes. (source: wikipedia, with my emphasis added)

Sola scriptura!

Reactions: Pearl and Taken