Why Do Christians Not Honor The Sabbath?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Status
Not open for further replies.

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I do hope to inspire folks to, at least, begin to question what they've been taught and to individually study God's Word in depth to fully substantiate your personal viewpoints, rather than blindly reciting popular Church teachings or simply following majority opinion on such important scriptural topics.
As for me, and a very few others, all we can hope to do, is have people go to Christ so as He put it,

Joh 5:40 And ye will not come to me, that ye might have life

and

Joh_14:6 Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.

Seek Him while He may be found.

In all His Love

jiggyfly

Nov 27, 2009
North Carolina
KCKID said:
While I still personally don't care who keeps what day the move from Sabbath to Sunday was an 'illegal' move initiated by other than God and that's a fact. Unless Paul is God - and to some he most certainly is given the same status - he has no authority to change what has been carved into stone. Unless one is walking around in a 'Holy Spirit' stupor all day long and incapable of making their own decisions one MUST adhere to SOME level of appropriate/inappropriate behavior even though we might hate to call it - <gasp> - 'works'. It's like driving a car ...we might not be conscious of the road rules but we subconsciously keep them anyway ...hopefully. As it is, the majority of Christians follow one another to church on Sundays because that's the way it's always been. But, that's not necessarily the way that it should be or was intended to be.

For me, it's not so much promoting one day over another but the realization that Christians, for the most part, have no idea what they actually believe in. It's just a mish-mash of this belief, that belief, mix 'em up and choose the belief that is convenient.

By the way, the post of James Forthwright was very good. Thanks James.
Yeah kinda like mixing old and new covenant eh?

KCKID

Feb 14, 2013
Townsville, QLD. Australia
jiggyfly said:
Yeah kinda like mixing old and new covenant eh?
Well, I don't regard the Ten Commandments as being part of any 'covenant'. They pretty well encompass love for God (1-4) and love for neighbor (5-10) as per scripture. The 4th-command is even prefixed with "Remember" as if it was assumed that we would forget. And, it would appear that most have forgotten . . .

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
HammerStone has locked the Boston Bombing thread after only two posts. I will reluctantly yield to his moderation authority and would only wish to respond to the quote and website he mentioned in the final post.) The following statements can also be found in the comment section of that web site.)

So who are Sherman Smith, Gregory Camp or Jared C. Wilson that their viewpoint should be taken as gospel?

One quote from a book forward from people we’ve never heard of does not merit much credibility, IMO. Need I remind you that the crucifixion of Jesus Christ, Himself, was the result of a nefarious conspiracy?

Now these two guys I have heard of:

John F. Kennedy speech on Government Conspiracy weeks before his assassination.

Abridged version:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RdUsJHeVXiE

Full version:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NM0QY1k9N_M

“The individual is handicapped by coming face to face with a conspiracy so monstrous that he can not believe that it even exists.” –J. Edgar Hoover

jiggyfly

Nov 27, 2009
North Carolina
KCKID said:
Well, I don't regard the Ten Commandments as being part of any 'covenant'. They pretty well encompass love for God (1-4) and love for neighbor (5-10) as per scripture. The 4th-command is even prefixed with "Remember" as if it was assumed that we would forget. And, it would appear that most have forgotten . . .
Don't doubt you don't but that doesn't change the facts any.

James Forthwright said:
HammerStone has locked the Boston Bombing thread after only two posts. I will reluctantly yield to his moderation authority and would only wish to respond to the quote and website he mentioned in the final post.) The following statements can also be found in the comment section of that web site.)

So who are Sherman Smith, Gregory Camp or Jared C. Wilson that their viewpoint should be taken as gospel?

One quote from a book forward from people we’ve never heard of does not merit much credibility, IMO. Need I remind you that the crucifixion of Jesus Christ, Himself, was the result of a nefarious conspiracy?

Now these two guys I have heard of:

John F. Kennedy speech on Government Conspiracy weeks before his assassination.

Abridged version:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RdUsJHeVXiE

Full version:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NM0QY1k9N_M

“The individual is handicapped by coming face to face with a conspiracy so monstrous that he can not believe that it even exists.” –J. Edgar Hoover
Actually Christ's crucifixion was the result of His Father's plan. But what does your post have to do with the thread's topic?

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
jiggyfly said:
Actually Christ's crucifixion was the result of His Father's plan. But what does your post have to do with the thread's topic?
As when the patriarch Joseph was sold into slavery by his brothers, they meant it for evil but God used it for good. Because God ultimately designed Christ's crucifixion for the good of all mankind does not diminish the evil perpetrated by the conspiracy of the Jewish elders and scribes to have Him killed.

To directly answer your question, it doesn't. However, in my prior post I alluded to a post I recently added to the Current Events section on the Boston Bombing which I know at least Axehead might find interesting. Unfortunately, the mods here have locked the thread (but to their credit, at least permitted the my post to remain).

KCKID

Feb 14, 2013
jiggyfly said:
Don't doubt you don't but that doesn't change the facts any.
The facts are that Jesus' death and resurrection would not make one iota of difference to the command commemorating the day of Creation. This had nothing to do with the sacrificial system and the other related rituals and ordinances that were nailed to the cross. We might also assume that Jesus knew the 7th-day Sabbath would still be honored for at least some 40 years after His death and resurrection ...to be specific 70 AD (Matthew 24:20). Why did Jesus not tell His disciples at the time He warned them of the destruction of Jerusalem that the 7th-day Sabbath would by then have been abolished by Paul and the apostles? There sure is some sleight of hand with scripture going on whenever one questions how come Sunday became the Christian Sabbath.

Axehead

May 9, 2012
James Forthwright said:
As when the patriarch Joseph was sold into slavery by his brothers, they meant it for evil but God used it for good. Because God ultimately designed Christ's crucifixion for the good of all mankind does not diminish the evil perpetrated by the conspiracy of the Jewish elders and scribes to have Him killed.

To directly answer your question, it doesn't. However, in my prior post I alluded to a post I recently added to the Current Events section on the Boston Bombing which I know at least Axehead might find interesting. Unfortunately, the mods here have locked the thread (but to their credit, at least permitted the my post to remain).
Hi James,

I did find your post interesting and was about to reply when I realized it was locked. That disappointed me. What disappointed me more was that a moderator felt they had to lock it down. Whether these were their own thoughts or someone influenced him only they know. But, to shut a thread down so early, between adults just raising questions, seems strange since so many other (volatile and uncivil) threads have been allowed to continue ad nauseum.

I believe this behavior (questioning the status quo) will increase in our society. The "thought police", are not coming, they are already all around us.

Axehead

Reactions: jiggyfly

jiggyfly

Nov 27, 2009
North Carolina
KCKID said:
The facts are that Jesus' death and resurrection would not make one iota of difference to the command commemorating the day of Creation. This had nothing to do with the sacrificial system and the other related rituals and ordinances that were nailed to the cross. We might also assume that Jesus knew the 7th-day Sabbath would still be honored for at least some 40 years after His death and resurrection ...to be specific 70 AD (Matthew 24:20). Why did Jesus not tell His disciples at the time He warned them of the destruction of Jerusalem that the 7th-day Sabbath would by then have been abolished by Paul and the apostles? There sure is some sleight of hand with scripture going on whenever one questions how come Sunday became the Christian Sabbath.
Sorry, I am not sure what happen that I responded to your post, so please just disregard my response. Thanks.

Ok found and corrected the problem. Thanks again.

Axehead

May 9, 2012
Since Jesus is Lord of the Sabbath, He can direct you by His Spirit to do anything He wants you to do on the "Sabbath", whether the Sabbath is Tuesday, Saturday or Wednesday (no one really knows anymore). He can even direct you to go to work and "pick some corn", or love the prison guard as you labor in the rock quarry 7 days a week. (Being faithful to your employer is being faithful to the Lord and maintaining your witness). If we really believe that the Lord orders our steps and opens doors of employment for us, then we will be faithful. And He will give you rest all along the way, even in the prison camp. Read Richard Wurmbrand's "Tortured for Christ", book. He was in prison for 14 years with no Sabbaths, off, and the Lord kept him and was faithful to him.

So, the bottom line is: Are you honoring the Lord by KEEPING your relationship with Him in faithfulness?

Our outward circumstances no longer dictate our inward life. And outward circumstances definitely don't produce inward LIFE!

Axehead

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hello brother Axehead. Always good to hear from you! Permit me to parse your post.

Axehead said:
Since Jesus is Lord of the Sabbath,
Yes, Jesus is Lord of the Sabbath and it is distinctly mentioned three times in the NT (Mat. 12:8, Mar. 2:28, Luk. 6:5) Now the question I would pose to you; Is Jesus to be Lord of a day that most of his "followers" don't observe? I believe that, as Christians, we should follow Christ's earthly example as closely as possible. Jesus and His disciples all obeyed the Sabbath and Christ gave no indication that any change in observance of that ancient sacred day was imminent after His resurrection.

Axehead said:
He can direct you by His Spirit to do anything He wants you to do on the "Sabbath", whether the Sabbath is Tuesday, Saturday or Wednesday (no one really knows anymore).
Yes, the Holy Spirit can direct us as He pleases on the Sabbath but it is also up to us to be willing to obey His stated spiritual directives in the Word of God. The Holy Spirit directs me to honor and sanctify the seventh day as the Sabbath just as Jesus and His disciples, many Christians throughout the two thousand years since Christ's resurrection as well as thousands of years of God-fearing believers in the Old Testament.

And I also steadfastly disagree that "(no one really knows anymore)". It's only been just under two thousand years since Christ's ascension. I'm sure Jesus would have corrected the fault-finding Pharisees when they oft-criticized Him and His disciples of transgressing the Sabbath IF they had been observing the wrong day as the Sabbath. Orthodox Jews since the first century also have not ceased to specifically set apart sundown Friday to sundown Saturday as the Sabbath. Contrary to popular belief, we know EXACTLY what day the Sabbath falls on!

Axehead said:
He can even direct you to go to work and "pick some corn", or love the prison guard as you labor in the rock quarry 7 days a week. (Being faithful to your employer is being faithful to the Lord and maintaining your witness). If we really believe that the Lord orders our steps and opens doors of employment for us, then we will be faithful.
I'll not argue that there may, indeed, be legitimate responsibilities in some particular vocations or certain exceptional instances that MIGHT conflict with precisely abiding by the Sabbath statutes (Luke 13:15) (and there's also God's infinite mercy in forgiving our transgressions to consider). However, for the vast majority of Christians the weekends (which encompasses the Sabbath time period) are free time. I fail to comprehend what is so burdensome to so many modern Christians about purposely setting aside the scripturally defined 24 hr. period and dedicating this particular sacred time to honor the Father and the Lord of the Sabbath (Jesus)?

Axehead said:
And He will give you rest all along the way, even in the prison camp. Read Richard Wurmbrand's "Tortured for Christ", book. He was in prison for 14 years with no Sabbaths, off, and the Lord kept him and was faithful to him.
It's been nearly forty years since I've read "Tortured for Christ". Richard Wurmbrand certainly suffered immense persecution under the vile oppressive chains of a Communist regime (and may God Almighty give us strength to forthrightly resist the current trend of sliding into such a godless tyrannical governments). However, again you are citing 'the exception to the rule of law' as some sort of justification for entirely ignoring 'the specifics' of the Law of God. Why not simply obey the fourth commandment willingly as you instinctively as regenerate beings obey the other nine?

Axehead said:
So, the bottom line is: Are you honoring the Lord by KEEPING your relationship with Him in faithfulness?

Our outward circumstances no longer dictate our inward life. And outward circumstances definitely don't produce inward LIFE!
Faith without works is DEAD (James 2:20, James 2:26). There is absolutely nothing sinful or ostentatious about outwardly manifesting our obedience to one of God's commands. It was designed as an outward sign of our covenant relationship with YHWH (Exo. 31:12-13). Sabbath observance is/should only be done out of a loving pure heart desiring to especially please our Heavenly Father on the Sabbath day (as well as every other day of the week). I have also found the Sabbath to be a profound blessing & a rewarding time of spiritual rejuvenation. It's also an excellent practical way of witnessing to non-believers and a means to stimulate discussion with lukewarm Christians.

I haven't always been a Christian Sabbath observer. It was precisely a desire to strengthen my relationship with the Lord that initially motivated me to study the Sabbath more in depth and then after careful prayer and consideration, decide to literally 'follow in Christ's footsteps' and begin to implement this blessed sacred day in my weekly timetable.

HeRoseFromTheDead

Not So Advanced Member
Jan 6, 2012
James Forthwright said:
[the sabbath] was designed as an outward sign of our covenant relationship with YHWH (Exo. 31:12-13).
This is a completely false statement. We were never under the old covenant, which passed away long ago.

The sabbath for those under that covenant served as an outward sign that they were being sanctified.

Those of us under the new covenant have the holy spirit as the inward sign that we are being sanctified.

KCKID

Feb 14, 2013
ChristRoseFromTheDead said:
This is a completely false statement. We were never under the old covenant, which passed away long ago.

The sabbath for those under that covenant served as an outward sign that they were being sanctified.

Those of us under the new covenant have the holy spirit as the inward sign that we are being sanctified.
But, but ...doesn't your 'new covenant' still include 'works of the flesh' such as physically toddling off to church every Sunday to join others in worshipping God on what is known as 'the Christian Sabbath'? What you say above makes no sense at all when all that you've done is to replace one day from the supposed 'old covenant' (the 7th-day Sabbath of Creation) with another day from the supposed 'new covenant' that was initiated and made 'holy' at the behest of the RCC. Is it possible to be spirit-filled and still retain a logical mind or does one automatically cancel out the other?

HeRoseFromTheDead

Not So Advanced Member
Jan 6, 2012
KCKID said:
But, but ...doesn't your 'new covenant' still include 'works of the flesh' such as physically toddling off to church every Sunday to join others in worshipping God on what is known as 'the Christian Sabbath'? What you say above makes no sense at all when all that you've done is to replace one day from the supposed 'old covenant' (the 7th-day Sabbath of Creation) with another day from the supposed 'new covenant' that was initiated and made 'holy' at the behest of the RCC. Is it possible to be spirit-filled and still retain a logical mind or does one automatically cancel out the other?
Uh, uh ... I said nothing about a Sunday sabbath. Reading comprehension requires understanding what the author was saying, not reading into what was said something you want to see.

Go back and repeat Reading Comprehension Skills 101. The teacher must have passed you just to get you out of her class.

Reactions: KingJ

KCKID

Feb 14, 2013
ChristRoseFromTheDead said:
Go back and repeat Reading Comprehension Skills 101. The teacher must have passed you just to get you out of her class.

Uh, uh ... I said nothing about a Sunday sabbath. Reading comprehension requires understanding what the author was saying, not reading into what was said something you want to see.
Nice response from a supposed 'spirit-filled' Christian but yet rather typical, CRFTD ...take a bow. I'm sickened by the mocking and the sarcasm that comes out of the mouths of some of you 'pious ones'. I trust that the visitors to the forum will take due note of how horrible some professed Christians can be.

Okay, I'll make it as simple for you as I can since you TOO appear to have failed Comprehension Skills 101. Question: DO those such as yourself "that are under the new covenant," those who "have the holy spirit as the inward sign that they are being sanctified" - your words - call Sunday "the Sabbath"? Just answer that question and we can take it from there.

HeRoseFromTheDead

Not So Advanced Member
Jan 6, 2012
KCKID said:
Nice response from a supposed 'spirit-filled' Christian but yet rather typical, CRFTD ...take a bow. I'm sickened by the mocking and the sarcasm that comes out of the mouths of some of you 'pious ones'. I trust that the visitors to the forum will take due note of how horrible some professed Christians can be.

Okay, I'll make it as simple for you as I can since you TOO appear to have failed Comprehension Skills 101. Question: DO those such as yourself "that are under the new covenant," those who "have the holy spirit as the inward sign that they are being sanctified" - your words - call Sunday "the Sabbath"? Just answer that question and we can take it from there.
Water, meet duck's feathers. KCKID's sanctimonious posturing, meet CRFTD's attitude.

Those such as myself? No.

HeRoseFromTheDead

Not So Advanced Member
Jan 6, 2012
KCKID said:
Please, just answer my question.
(Sigh... schools just aren't getting the job done these days...)

Question: DO those such as yourself "that are under the new covenant," those who "have the holy spirit as the inward sign that they are being sanctified" - your words - call Sunday "the Sabbath"? Just answer that question and we can take it from there.

I did answer. I'll repeat - Those such as myself? No.

I don't think I can make it any simpler than that. Remember, take it slowly and read every word; pronounce each syllable and enunciate each word.

PS, I made the text larger so it's easier to read.

PSS - Do I need to include some pictures?

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Heb 4:9 There remaineth therefore a rest to the people of God.
Heb 4:10 For he that is entered into his rest, he also hath ceased from his own works, as God did from his.

Mat 11:28 Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.
Mat 11:29 Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls.
Mat 11:30 For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.

Christ is my Sabbath rest, in Him i do as He asked and rest in Him from my own works.
In all His Love

jiggyfly

Nov 27, 2009
North Carolina
mjrhealth said:
Heb 4:9 There remaineth therefore a rest to the people of God.
Heb 4:10 For he that is entered into his rest, he also hath ceased from his own works, as God did from his.

Mat 11:28 Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.
Mat 11:29 Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls.
Mat 11:30 For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.

Christ is my Sabbath rest, in Him i do as He asked and rest in Him from my own works.
In all His Love
Good post MJH, a study of Pentecost will confirm this also. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.