Why Do Christians Not Honor The Sabbath?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Status
Not open for further replies.

KCKID

Feb 14, 2013
Townsville, QLD. Australia
While I no longer attend the Church of my baptism (the Seventh-day Adventist Church) SDAs DO - I feel - have a lot going for them scripturally. For instance, as the name suggests, they believe in honoring the Seventh-day Sabbath as commanded in #4 of the Ten Commandments. And yet, Fundamentalist (and most mainstream) Christians who purport to rigid obedience to the scriptures totally ignore what is a very specific command. The command is also prefixed with a 'Remember' as if it was assumed in advance by God that people would forget.

Now, I've heard the typical argument time and time again that the Sabbath was abolished - though no good reason is ever given why it would have been abolished - and was replaced with Sunday, the 1st-day of the week that Jesus rose from the dead. So, we're led to believe that one day was apparently abolished only to be replaced with another exact same day which hardly makes sense. The resurrection of Jesus is, of course, already celebrated at Easter so commemorating this event on a weekly basis is hardly necessary anyway. Furthermore, the Ten Commandments were, so we are told in scripture, carved into stone by the finger of God. This implies 'permanency' so WHY is the 4th command of the Ten ignored by most Christians? Please don't say that it was God's will that the 7th-day Sabbath (Saturday) be abolished and replaced with the 1st-day (Sunday) when this would be a total fabrication. There is nowhere in scripture that says such a thing. Also, please don't say that PAUL over-rode the carvings by the finger of God on tablets of stone and changed the Sabbath from the 7th-day to the 1st-day because that would be tantamount to blasphemy. Even if Paul DID have the authority to tamper with the Ten Commandments he COULD NOT alter the sequence of the six days of Creation and the 7th-day on which God rested from His work. THAT is where our '7-day week' comes from. The Sabbath is a COMMEMORATION of that 7th-day on which God rested. Remember the "Remember" that prefixes the 4th-commandment?

Do I honor the Sabbath? Not consciously, I don't. Did I honor the Sabbath when I was a practicing SDA? Well, as with other SDAs, I 'acknowledged' the Sabbath and participated in Sabbath worship but this is a far cry from the way that the Jews were instructed to keep the Sabbath. Even the drive to church exceeded the limit that one was allowed to travel ...on foot anyway! Does ANYONE actually keep the Sabbath as instructed in the Bible? Well, I don't know about the Jews but the best that 7th-day Christians can do is to acknowledge the spirit of the Sabbath but, by nature of the times we live in, certainly not the letter of Sabbath-keeping. Do I believe that honoring the Sabbath is necessary for salvation? Logic tells me no, but another part of me is not so sure. SDA's believe that obedience and worship are SO important to God that such are of crucial importance to one's salvation. Their Bible-based doctrines explain the reasoning behind this belief.

The reason I bring up this topic at all is because many Christians - including a number of this forum - are sticklers for obedience to God's word. They will practically hit others over the head with scriptures of condemnation because 'God says we are to be obedient to His word' while they at the same time blatantly thumb their noses at the 4th-command of the Big Ten. The 7th-day Sabbath appears to have been very important for God and He instructed His people to honor that particular day to the exclusion of the others. He even blessed and sanctified the 7th-day but not the other six. NOWHERE did God bless the 1st-day that we call Sunday. I'm most curious as to why Christians choose not to honor the 7th-day Sabbath. My motives for asking might be questionable but the question itself IS legitimate. Why Do Christians Not Honor The Sabbath?

meshak

Mar 18, 2013
Are you willing to hear what anyone hav to say about it? or you are just picking a fight?

KCKID

Feb 14, 2013
meshak said:
Are you willing to hear what anyone hav to say about it? or you are just picking a fight?
I posted this knowing that you, meshak, would be the first to jump in so that I could pick a fight with you! ;)

Really, I'd like an honest answer to the question. As said, it's a totally legit one. I've always wondered why staunch Christians are so lax when it comes to obedience to the 4th-command.

Arnie Manitoba

Mar 8, 2011
Manitoba Canada
I said the hell with it and now observe both Saturday and Sunday as the sabbath

drives some people nuts when I tell them that

because they had planned to give me a sabbath lecture of some kind

they walk away bewildered and look elsewhere for an easier victim

by the way I really do take both days as sabbath .... not for any particular religious reason ... i just think it is cool

try it sometime

for some reason Saturday "feels" like the real sabbath

I am not , nor ever have been SDA or anything.

meshak

Mar 18, 2013
KCKID said:
I posted this knowing that you, meshak, would be the first to jump in so that I could pick a fight with you! ;)

Really, I'd like an honest answer to the question. As said, it's a totally legit one. I've always wondered why staunch Christians are so lax when it comes to obedience to the 4th-command.
I will not go on debating this over and over.

Jesus says He is the Lord of Sabbath and He also says if it is godly thing to do, it is ok to work. Jesus worked to save lives on Sabbath day. I worship God everyday of the week. I know God wanted us to remember Him at least once a week. If we are living for God and Jesus with all our might, we are worshiping God daily, not just once a week.

there. Take it or leave it.

blessings.

Reactions: KingJ

KCKID

Feb 14, 2013
Arnie Manitoba said:

by the way I really do take both days as sabbath .... not for any particular religious reason ... i just think it is cool

try it sometime

Thanks for that, Arnie.

ericrun

Mar 13, 2013
According to John, the first two appearances to the Apostles in the upper room happened on the first day of the week:

John 20: 19 On the evening of that day, the first day of the week, the doors being shut where the disciples were, for fear of the Jews, Jesus came and stood among them and said to them, "Peace be with you." 20 When he had said this, he showed them his hands and his side. Then the disciples were glad when they saw the Lord. 21 Jesus said to them again, "Peace be with you. As the Father has sent me, even so I send you." 22 And when he had said this, he breathed on them, and said to them, "Receive the Holy Spirit. 23 If you forgive the sins of any, they are forgiven; if you retain the sins of any, they are retained." 24 Now Thomas, one of the twelve, called the Twin, was not with them when Jesus came. 25 So the other disciples told him, "We have seen the Lord." But he said to them, "Unless I see in his hands the print of the nails, and place my finger in the mark of the nails, and place my hand in his side, I will not believe." 26 Eight days later, his disciples were again in the house, and Thomas was with them. The doors were shut, but Jesus came and stood among them, and said, "Peace be with you."

In a modern accounting, eight days later would be Monday to Monday, but in the bible, eight days meant Sunday through Sunday. This can be verified by the fact that the Jews circumcise on the eighth day, but it is the same day of the week, as described here.

After the initial wave of conversions, while the Church was still centered in the Holy Land, composed of Jews, they continued to practice as Jews, observing the Sabbath, but then the Christians would gather on Sunday, the leader of the community would explain how Christ was the fulfillment of the reading at the synagogue, and then the Christians would celebrate the Eucharist because Sunday was the day of the Resurrection, the day Jesus won the victory over death. Later, Saul and other Jewish leaders started persecuting the Christians, and then the Christians starting converting Gentiles and bringing them to the synagogue. The Jews then expelled the Christians from the synagogue. At this point, instead of switching the Christian meeting from Sunday to Saturday, the Christians continued meeting only on Sunday, for example, in Acts 20:7.

So this was a practice that was started by Jesus Christ, as the Lord of the Sabbath (Matthew 12:8), and carried on by his closest followers as the true practice of Christians, who do not fail to observe a day of rest, they just choose to rest on Jesus' day of victory instead of on Saturday.

KCKID

Feb 14, 2013
meshak said:
I will not go on debating this over and over.
But, but ...we haven't even started to debate this as yet.

meshak said:
Jesus says He is the Lord of Sabbath and He also says if it is godly thing to do, it is ok to work. Jesus worked to save lives on Sabbath day. I worship God everyday of the week. I know God wanted us to remember Him at least once a week. If we are living for God and Jesus with all our might, we are worshiping God daily, not just once a week.
But, you were not asked to keep every day as the Sabbath. That would be impractical. We're to work the other six days. 'The Sabbath' was specified to be the 7th-day which was the day on which God rested and blessed and sanctified at Creation. It sounds very much as if - <gasp> - you are making up your own rules and not being obedient to God, meshak. I'm speechless ...well. perhaps not. But anyway, what are we gonna do with you . . .?

meshak said:
there. Take it or leave it.

blessings.
It isn't up to me to take it or leave it. "I" didn't initiate the Sabbath at Creation. So, your 'take it or leave it' comment is aimed at God, not me.

meshak

Mar 18, 2013
ericrun said:
According to John, the first two appearances to the Apostles in the upper room happened on the first day of the week:

John 20: 19 On the evening of that day, the first day of the week, the doors being shut where the disciples were, for fear of the Jews, Jesus came and stood among them and said to them, "Peace be with you." 20 When he had said this, he showed them his hands and his side. Then the disciples were glad when they saw the Lord. 21 Jesus said to them again, "Peace be with you. As the Father has sent me, even so I send you." 22 And when he had said this, he breathed on them, and said to them, "Receive the Holy Spirit. 23 If you forgive the sins of any, they are forgiven; if you retain the sins of any, they are retained." 24 Now Thomas, one of the twelve, called the Twin, was not with them when Jesus came. 25 So the other disciples told him, "We have seen the Lord." But he said to them, "Unless I see in his hands the print of the nails, and place my finger in the mark of the nails, and place my hand in his side, I will not believe." 26 Eight days later, his disciples were again in the house, and Thomas was with them. The doors were shut, but Jesus came and stood among them, and said, "Peace be with you."

In a modern accounting, eight days later would be Monday to Monday, but in the bible, eight days meant Sunday through Sunday. This can be verified by the fact that the Jews circumcise on the eighth day, but it is the same day of the week, as described here.

After the initial wave of conversions, while the Church was still centered in the Holy Land, composed of Jews, they continued to practice as Jews, observing the Sabbath, but then the Christians would gather on Sunday, the leader of the community would explain how Christ was the fulfillment of the reading at the synagogue, and then the Christians would celebrate the Eucharist because Sunday was the day of the Resurrection, the day Jesus won the victory over death. Later, Saul and other Jewish leaders started persecuting the Christians, and then the Christians starting converting Gentiles and bringing them to the synagogue. The Jews then expelled the Christians from the synagogue. At this point, instead of switching the Christian meeting from Sunday to Saturday, the Christians continued meeting only on Sunday, for example, in Acts 20:7.

So this was a practice that was started by Jesus Christ, as the Lord of the Sabbath (Matthew 12:8), and carried on by his closest followers as the true practice of Christians, who do not fail to observe a day of rest, they just choose to rest on Jesus' day of victory instead of on Saturday.
The Bible does not say anything about Jesus and His disciples worshiped on Sunday.

KCKID said:
But, but ...we haven't even started to debate this as yet.

But, you were not asked to keep every day as the Sabbath. That would be impractical. We're to work the other six days. 'The Sabbath' was specified to be the 7th-day which was the day on which God rested and blessed and sanctified at Creation. It sounds very much as if - <gasp> - you are making up your own rules and not being obedient to God, meshak. I'm speechless ...well. perhaps not. But anyway, what are we gonna do with you . . .?

It isn't up to me to take it or leave it. "I" didn't initiate the Sabbath at Creation. So, your 'take it or leave it' comment is aimed at God, not me.
You are wrong. I am only following what Jesus said and practiced. You are being dishonest again. You should read the Gospel. You did not know about the worldly Christians either, which is you.

KCKID

Feb 14, 2013
ericrun said:
Yes, and . . .?

ericrun said:

What does the above have to do with the changing of the Sabbath? The desciples were hiding from the Jews on the first day of the week. So what? A week later they met again on the first day of the week. Again, so what? The disciples met every day of the week as we're told in a text that I presently don't have at my disposal. Does their simply 'meeting' have any bearing on a change of the 4th-commandment? I don't think so.

ericrun said:
So, what you're saying is that it was MAN and not GOD that authorized a change of the solemnity of the Creation Sabbath to that of Sunday? Um ...is that acceptable by God? How can one 'unsequence' the days of Creation week and substitute the day of rest that was blessed and sanctified by God with another ...? That sounds most unbiblical, not to mention impossible.

ericrun said:
Excuse me ...? Because Jesus appeared to the disciples on the first day of the week when they were in hiding we're supposed to get a change of Sabbath from that? Such an argument for 'a change of Sabbath' bears no merit at all. Jesus' quote as being 'the Lord of the Sabbath' and 'the Sabbath being made for man and not man for the Sabbath' STILL brings us back to the 7th-day Sabbath! Seems like there's some twisting of scripture going on here.

ericrun

Mar 13, 2013
meshak said:
The Bible does not say anything about Jesus and His disciples worshiped on Sunday.
Not explicitly no. But there are three explicit mentions of Christians gathering on the first day of the week, but no mentions of Christian gatherings on the seventh day of the week, only Christians attending the Synagogue on that day, mostly as carryover from the fact that the early church was Jewish and Christian, and the Christian communities didn't even have their own copies of the Scriptures yet.

But by removal of the requirement of Circumcision (Acts 15), Christians are freed from observing the Law, including the command obey the Sabbath. However, the need to observe a day of rest remains, but the Christians are to observe the Lord's Day instead of the Sabbath.

KCKID said:
Yes, and . . .?

What does the above have to do with the changing of the Sabbath? The desciples were hiding from the Jews on the first day of the week. So what? A week later they met again on the first day of the week. Again, so what? The disciples met every day of the week as we're told in a text that I presently don't have at my disposal. Does their simply 'meeting' have any bearing on a change of the 4th-commandment? I don't think so.
The significance is that the only day they did gather was on the first day of the week. For an early Christian it was significant in that it explained why Christians gather on Sunday instead of Saturday. And if it was started by the example of Jesus on the first two Sundays after his death, then that, and by his Lordship of the Sabbath, he abolished the Sabbath and replaced it with a day of celebration of his new covenant.

KCKID said:
So, what you're saying is that it was MAN and not GOD that authorized a change of the solemnity of the Creation Sabbath to that of Sunday? Um ...is that acceptable by God? How can one 'unsequence' the days of Creation week and substitute the day of rest that was blessed and sanctified by God with another ...? That sounds most unbiblical, not to mention impossible.
I think I believe that Jesus authorized the change, and since he is God, he has the authority to do so.

KCKID

Feb 14, 2013
meshak said:
And THAT is precisely my point! The 7th-day of the week is SATURDAY! Jesus and the disciples did NOT attend the temple for worship on Sunday, the 1st-day of the week. They kept the 7th-day Sabbath as instructed by God. Actually, the Sabbath commences sundown Friday and ends sundown Saturday. Obviously, you have been led to believe that Sunday is the Sabbath. And, you know what? Christians got that fabrication from the Roman Catholic Church. Even though Protestants 'bad mouth' the RCC they have taken on a 'holy day' that was initiated BY the RCC!

I realize that you'll get mad at me for pointing this out, meshak, but you are NOT being obedient to scripture!

meshak said:
You are wrong. I am only following what Jesus said and practiced. You are being dishonest again. You should read the Gospel. You did not know about the worldly Christians either, which is you.
Meshak ...if you are not honoring the 7th-day Sabbath - as specified in the 4th-command of the TEN COMMANDMENTS no less! - then you are NOT following what Jesus said and practiced.

I'm already flinching from your expected comeback . . .!

meshak

Mar 18, 2013
KCKID said:
And THAT is precisely my point! The 7th-day of the week is SATURDAY! Jesus and the disciples did NOT attend the temple for worship on Sunday, the 1st-day of the week. They kept the 7th-day Sabbath as instructed by God. Actually, the Sabbath commences sundown Friday and ends sundown Saturday. Obviously, you have been led to believe that Sunday is the Sabbath. And, you know what? Christians got that fabrication from the Roman Catholic Church. Even though Protestants 'bad mouth' the RCC they have taken on a 'holy day' that was initiated BY the RCC!

I realize that you'll get mad at me for pointing this out, meshak, but you are NOT being obedient to scripture!

Meshak ...if you are not honoring the 7th-day Sabbath - as specified in the 4th-command of the TEN COMMANDMENTS no less! - then you are NOT following what Jesus said and practiced.

I'm already flinching from your expected comeback . . .!
You are continually being dishonest.

You need to read 4 gospels instead of parrotting what your former denomination have to say about the Sabbath.

Then we will talk.

K?

blessings.

KCKID

Feb 14, 2013
ericrun said:
Not explicitly no. But there are three explicit mentions of Christians gathering on the first day of the week, but no mentions of Christian gatherings on the seventh day of the week, only Christians attending the Synagogue on that day, mostly as carryover from the fact that the early church was Jewish and Christian, and the Christian communities didn't even have their own copies of the Scriptures yet.
Meshak was responding to my post and believes that SUNDAY is 'the Sabbath' that is being referred to as do most mainstream Christians.

What you have to say above about Christians gathering on the first day of the week as though this somehow negates the 7th-day Sabbath and replaces it with Sunday is much more than a stretch. These folks were Jews - through and through - and the 7th-day Sabbath would have been ingrained into their very being. The very thought of shucking off that day - without any hint to do so from God - and replacing it with another would have blown their minds. Again, these early Christ-followers were JEWS - this includes Paul - who would have remained loyal to the Torah because there was no reason to do otherwise. Remember, the Torah is ALL that they had!

ericrun said:
But by removal of the requirement of Circumcision (Acts 15), Christians are freed from observing the Law, including the command obey the Sabbath. However, the need to observe a day of rest remains, but the Christians are to observe the Lord's Day instead of the Sabbath.
This is Roman Catholicism! If Protestants want to kowtow to the RCC then all power to them. The above concerning abrogation of the Sabbath, however, is NOT scriptural!

ericrun said:
The significance is that the only day they did gather was on the first day of the week. For an early Christian it was significant in that it explained why Christians gather on Sunday instead of Saturday. And if it was started by the example of Jesus on the first two Sundays after his death, then that, and by his Lordship of the Sabbath, he abolished the Sabbath and replaced it with a day of celebration of his new covenant.
The early Christians were the apostles who were - as said - JEWS. They would have had absolutely no cause NOR AUTHORITY to transfer the solemnity of the Creation Sabbath to any other day. They would NOT have done this! Again, this is RCC teaching!

ericrun said:
I think I believe that Jesus authorized the change, and since he is God, he has the authority to do so.
NOWHERE in scripture does it even hint that Jesus - who was not even crucified and resurrected on Sunday yet! - tossed up in the air dies with the numbers of the days of Creation on them and randomly selected one (Sunday) to be the NEW Creation day when they landed. I'm sorry, but this is all RCC hokum!

meshak said:
You are continually being dishonest.

You need to read 4 gospels instead of parrotting what your former denomination have to say about the Sabbath.

Then we will talk.

K?

blessings.
Meshak, I believe that you're totally lost on this subject so, since you have nothing of note to contribute, it might be the wise thing for you to withdraw from the topic ...okay?

JB_Reformed Baptist

Many are called but few are chosen.
Feb 23, 2013
AUSTRALIA
KCKID said:
While I no longer attend the Church of my baptism (the Seventh-day Adventist Church) SDAs DO - I feel - have a lot going for them scripturally. For instance, as the name suggests, they believe in honoring the Seventh-day Sabbath as commanded in #4 of the Ten Commandments. And yet, Fundamentalist (and most mainstream) Christians who purport to rigid obedience to the scriptures totally ignore what is a very specific command. The command is also prefixed with a 'Remember' as if it was assumed in advance by God that people would forget.

Now, I've heard the typical argument time and time again that the Sabbath was abolished - though no good reason is ever given why it would have been abolished - and was replaced with Sunday, the 1st-day of the week that Jesus rose from the dead. So, we're led to believe that one day was apparently abolished only to be replaced with another exact same day which hardly makes sense. The resurrection of Jesus is, of course, already celebrated at Easter so commemorating this event on a weekly basis is hardly necessary anyway. Furthermore, the Ten Commandments were, so we are told in scripture, carved into stone by the finger of God. This implies 'permanency' so WHY is the 4th command of the Ten ignored by most Christians? Please don't say that it was God's will that the 7th-day Sabbath (Saturday) be abolished and replaced with the 1st-day (Sunday) when this would be a total fabrication. There is nowhere in scripture that says such a thing. Also, please don't say that PAUL over-rode the carvings by the finger of God on tablets of stone and changed the Sabbath from the 7th-day to the 1st-day because that would be tantamount to blasphemy. Even if Paul DID have the authority to tamper with the Ten Commandments he COULD NOT alter the sequence of the six days of Creation and the 7th-day on which God rested from His work. THAT is where our '7-day week' comes from. The Sabbath is a COMMEMORATION of that 7th-day on which God rested. Remember the "Remember" that prefixes the 4th-commandment?

Do I honor the Sabbath? Not consciously, I don't. Did I honor the Sabbath when I was a practicing SDA? Well, as with other SDAs, I 'acknowledged' the Sabbath and participated in Sabbath worship but this is a far cry from the way that the Jews were instructed to keep the Sabbath. Even the drive to church exceeded the limit that one was allowed to travel ...on foot anyway! Does ANYONE actually keep the Sabbath as instructed in the Bible? Well, I don't know about the Jews but the best that 7th-day Christians can do is to acknowledge the spirit of the Sabbath but, by nature of the times we live in, certainly not the letter of Sabbath-keeping. Do I believe that honoring the Sabbath is necessary for salvation? Logic tells me no, but another part of me is not so sure. SDA's believe that obedience and worship are SO important to God that such are of crucial importance to one's salvation. Their Bible-based doctrines explain the reasoning behind this belief.

The reason I bring up this topic at all is because many Christians - including a number of this forum - are sticklers for obedience to God's word. They will practically hit others over the head with scriptures of condemnation because 'God says we are to be obedient to His word' while they at the same time blatantly thumb their noses at the 4th-command of the Big Ten. The 7th-day Sabbath appears to have been very important for God and He instructed His people to honor that particular day to the exclusion of the others. He even blessed and sanctified the 7th-day but not the other six. NOWHERE did God bless the 1st-day that we call Sunday. I'm most curious as to why Christians choose not to honor the 7th-day Sabbath. My motives for asking might be questionable but the question itself IS legitimate. Why Do Christians Not Honor The Sabbath?

Why is it the SDA's claim sabbath as there own and boast about it but in facts it was the SDB- Seventh Day Baptists that introduced it to them. Why also did it take a fake prophetess to authenticate the sabbath through a vision when the bible as the SDA claim is plain for all to read?

KCKID

Feb 14, 2013
JB_Reformed Baptist said:
Why is it the SDA's claim sabbath as there own and boast about it but in facts it was the SDB- Seventh Day Baptists that introduced it to them. Why also did it take a fake prophetess to authenticate the sabbath through a vision when the bible as the SDA claim is plain for all to read?
I don't know that the SDAs claim the Sabbath as their own. It IS, after all, the 4th-commandment of the Ten, as you say. Remove that command and we're left with 9. The NIne Commandments. Doesn't sound right somehow. You might be right about the 7th-day Baptists but - again - whoever might have introduced it to whom, the 7th-day Sabbath IS a command of God. I don't know whether Ellen G. White was a prophet or not and I've never cared one way or the other. Yes, there ARE SDAs who pretty well need aproval from EGW before they believe the Bible but these folks are, thankfully, dwindling in number. As for the Sabbath ...I think it comes back to the "Remember" part of the command. The Sabbath command HAD apparently been forgotten over the centuries and - whether it was through a vision or otherwise - it WAS reintroduced as being important.

The Roman Catholic Church DOES appear to have had a strong bearing on the change of the Sabbath from Saturday to Sunday. They believe that they have the divine authority to initiate holy days and to change holy days. Saturday (the 7th-day) to Sunday (the 1st-day) is a case in point.

Justin Mangonel said:
Dear K,

The short answer to that is because we are not Jewish.

Blessings,

Justin
So, why are 'the Jewish' Ten Commandments displayed in American Courthouses (I'm not sure about Australia) if they are not applicable to those of a Christian nation?

JB_Reformed Baptist

Many are called but few are chosen.
Feb 23, 2013
AUSTRALIA
Arnie Manitoba said:

try it sometime

So you're not one of the SDA's spinoffs, like COG or the like?

KCKID said:
I don't know that the SDAs claim the Sabbath as their own. It IS, after all, the 4th-commandment of the Ten, as you say. Remove that command and we're left with 9. The NIne Commandments. Doesn't sound right somehow. You might be right about the 7th-day Baptists but - again - whoever might have introduced it to whom, the 7th-day Sabbath IS a command of God. I don't know whether Ellen G. White was a prophet or not and I've never cared one way or the other. Yes, there ARE SDAs who pretty well need aproval from EGW before they believe the Bible but these folks are, thankfully, dwindling in number. As for the Sabbath ...I think it comes back to the "Remember" part of the command. The Sabbath command HAD apparently been forgotten over the centuries and - whether it was through a vision or otherwise - it WAS reintroduced as being important.

The Roman Catholic Church DOES appear to have had a strong bearing on the change of the Sabbath from Saturday to Sunday. They believe that they have the divine authority to initiate holy days and to change holy days. Saturday (the 7th-day) to Sunday (the 1st-day) is a case in point.

So, why are 'the Jewish' Ten Commandments displayed in American Courthouses (I'm not sure about Australia) if they are not applicable to those of a Christian nation?

Why would it matter to you whether one holds the sabbath day on saturday or sunday or any day for that matter. A good portion in Christendom believe that sunday is the christians sabbath, others say otherwise. Some argue that the sabbath command is being kept by virtue of one day in seven being set aside for worship.

In any case let very disciple of Christ work out their OWN salvation with fear and trembling,for it's God that worketh in them both to will and to act according to HIS good pleasure .

PS: Some actually do Honor Christ by obeying his commandment(s). So ALL is NOT applicable in your title.

Status
Not open for further replies.