Why Do Christians Not Honor The Sabbath?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Status
Not open for further replies.

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Big question, Does it matter? No. In the end of it all . it is mans works mans doctrines mans church, and Jesus God and the Holy Spirit are left out. No one honors the sabath, because even when one "tries" to one dishonours it because it is a work it is a law and it does nothing. all foolishness. all the flesh all vanity, and still you wont go to Christ the one who is your saviour and learn form Him , Soon it will be too late, and all this will be remembered for what it is.

Vanity

In all His Love

KCKID

Feb 14, 2013
Townsville, QLD. Australia
mjrhealth said:
Big question, Does it matter? No. In the end of it all . it is mans works mans doctrines mans church, and Jesus God and the Holy Spirit are left out. No one honors the sabath, because even when one "tries" to one dishonours it because it is a work it is a law and it does nothing. all foolishness. all the flesh all vanity, and still you wont go to Christ the one who is your saviour and learn form Him , Soon it will be too late, and all this will be remembered for what it is.

Vanity

In all His Love
Does it matter? Possibly not but I/we could be wrong. Perhaps it does. The SDAs believe that it matters and a great many of their team are no slouches when it comes to understanding their Bible. You say that keeping the 7th-day Sabbath is a work, it's a law and it does nothing. All foolishness, you say, vanity. Would that not also be true of most of Christendom then? One more time, and this is a FACT ...the vast majority of Christians believe that they ARE keeping the Sabbath when they front up for church on Sunday. They believe that Sunday is a day of rest ...in fact, many Christians here (Australia) became quite militant when 7-day trading was introduced a few years ago. Sunday was the Sabbath of the 4th command, they said, and it should be honored. A number of 'blue laws' in the U.S. (not sure about here) are still on the books and, even though not often enforced, they could be. I remember reading a news item several years ago where someone was booked (in some U.S. state, I believe) for washing their car on a Sunday. So, I'm not sure why we're playing dumb when it comes to the importance to Christians of Sunday being a 'holy day'.

Here's a little about Blue laws from Wikipedia. Blue laws in the United States vary by state. Blue laws are laws designed to enforce religious standards. Many states still prohibit selling alcohol for on and off-premise sales in one form or another on Sundays at some restricted time, under the rationale that people should be in church on Sunday morning, or at least not drinking. Another feature of blue laws restricts the purchase of particular items on Sundays which is an unusual feature in modern American culture. Some of these laws still restrict the ability to buy cars, groceries, office supplies and housewares among other things. Though most of these laws have been relaxed or repealed in most states, they are still strictly enforced in some other states.

You know as well as I do, mjrhealth, that Christians take their Sundays VERY seriously. And yet, as soon as someone brings up the 7th-day Sabbath ...a command given by God commemorating the completion of Creation, this is referred to as 'a work', 'a law' ...'foolishness'. 'Vanity', in fact. Those who dare to question the erroneous belief that Sunday is the Bible Sabbath are often shot down and accused of being part of a religious cult. To the non-Christian this surely makes a mockery out of Christianity where so-called Jesus followers have given themselves permission to thumb their nose at God's divinity/the teaching of the Bible and make up their own rules. That is ...except when it comes to Leviticus 18:22;20:13, of course . . . . . .

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
All that matters is Christ, and if He is not the centre of you attention, than you have lost the plot as so many christians have, so busy focused on non important things that they forget where there salvation is and in whom it is.

In all His love

Raeneske

Sep 18, 2012
mjrhealth said:
All that matters is Christ, and if He is not the centre of you attention, than you have lost the plot as so many christians have, so busy focused on non important things that they forget where there salvation is and in whom it is.

In all His love
And you can scream, that you believe in Christ, and that all that matters is Him until you're blue in the face. He is the author of salvation towards those that OBEY Him. He said to love God with all your heart, soul, and mind. How can you possibly claim to love Him, if you boldly refuse to OBEY Him. You cannot. You are thereby making yourself a liar, as the Scriptures say. If ye love me, keep my commandments. John14:15. And only IF you ACTUALLY love Him, will you obey what He says.

I like KCKID's post. He is quite right. Most do believe their keeping the Sabbath when it comes to Sunday. They actually believe they are keeping all 10 Commandments. But as soon as the light shines in their directions, those that disobey the truth, and those false shepherds shut out the light of the truth. The false shepherds deceive the disobedient ones. Then the disobedient ones deceive the flock. But not for long, Praise the LORD. Every single person will hear the Sabbath truth.

MJRHEALTH, you care much about faith. You are not denying your faith by being obedient to God. As Paul says, you are saved by faith. And as James says, if your works don't match your faith, you have dead faith. You haven't true faith at all, merely presumption, assuming that you may disobey the LORD, and still be saved. Workers of iniquity, which Jesus tells to depart from him, are just that.

Remember Revelation I say to you. Revelation 14:12. Those Saints who exist in the last days, do both. They have faith, and keep the commandments of God.

Simply put, you aren't denying your faith by doing what you should be doing, keeping the Commandments. You only are denying your faith, when your actions, your fruits, speak against you. "By their fruits, ye shall know them".

By their fruits. Know ye not, that you are a servant to whom ye yield yourself to obey? If you choose to obey the leader of sin, (which is the transgression of the law, 10 Commandments, 1 John 3:4), then you are a servant to sin. If ye choose to obey God, in keeping His law, being a woman (church) which is not defiled by other women, then you are a servant of righteousness.

Arnie Manitoba said:
I said the hell with it and now observe both Saturday and Sunday as the sabbath

drives some people nuts when I tell them that

because they had planned to give me a sabbath lecture of some kind

they walk away bewildered and look elsewhere for an easier victim

by the way I really do take both days as sabbath .... not for any particular religious reason ... i just think it is cool

try it sometime

for some reason Saturday "feels" like the real sabbath

I am not , nor ever have been SDA or anything.
Sunday Sabbath is a mark of the beast. It is the beast's SELF PROCLAIMED, mark of authority. This is why it incurs the wrath of God in the very end. Because those who claim to follow the Creator, or anyone really, can plainly see what is written, that the 7th Day is the Sabbath of the Creator God. Anyone can, and it's not a hard concept whatsoever to understand. It's just the actually getting people to OBEY God, that's like pulling teeth.

As I was saying, the wrath of God is poured out upon the wicked because they simply REFUSE to keep the Sabbath of the Creator, and they WILL continue to keep the sabbath of the beast. It's that kind of blatant disobedience, in language that cannot be misunderstood, that will bring the wrath of God and the plagues upon them. And what does Scripture say they will do? Repent? No, unfortunately, they are not like some of the Egyptians of the past (some repented, and they wanted to Jews out. They also came with the Jews out of Egypt (again, I repeat SOME of them did)). Revelation says they blaspheme God. This is just how this topic will go, all the way to the end. Some will be loyal and obey God. Others will refuse to, and the fires of persecution shall burn against those that obey.

KCKID said:
While I no longer attend the Church of my baptism (the Seventh-day Adventist Church) SDAs DO - I feel - have a lot going for them scripturally. For instance, as the name suggests, they believe in honoring the Seventh-day Sabbath as commanded in #4 of the Ten Commandments. And yet, Fundamentalist (and most mainstream) Christians who purport to rigid obedience to the scriptures totally ignore what is a very specific command. The command is also prefixed with a 'Remember' as if it was assumed in advance by God that people would forget.

Now, I've heard the typical argument time and time again that the Sabbath was abolished - though no good reason is ever given why it would have been abolished - and was replaced with Sunday, the 1st-day of the week that Jesus rose from the dead. So, we're led to believe that one day was apparently abolished only to be replaced with another exact same day which hardly makes sense. The resurrection of Jesus is, of course, already celebrated at Easter so commemorating this event on a weekly basis is hardly necessary anyway. Furthermore, the Ten Commandments were, so we are told in scripture, carved into stone by the finger of God. This implies 'permanency' so WHY is the 4th command of the Ten ignored by most Christians? Please don't say that it was God's will that the 7th-day Sabbath (Saturday) be abolished and replaced with the 1st-day (Sunday) when this would be a total fabrication. There is nowhere in scripture that says such a thing. Also, please don't say that PAUL over-rode the carvings by the finger of God on tablets of stone and changed the Sabbath from the 7th-day to the 1st-day because that would be tantamount to blasphemy. Even if Paul DID have the authority to tamper with the Ten Commandments he COULD NOT alter the sequence of the six days of Creation and the 7th-day on which God rested from His work. THAT is where our '7-day week' comes from. The Sabbath is a COMMEMORATION of that 7th-day on which God rested. Remember the "Remember" that prefixes the 4th-commandment?

Do I honor the Sabbath? Not consciously, I don't. Did I honor the Sabbath when I was a practicing SDA? Well, as with other SDAs, I 'acknowledged' the Sabbath and participated in Sabbath worship but this is a far cry from the way that the Jews were instructed to keep the Sabbath. Even the drive to church exceeded the limit that one was allowed to travel ...on foot anyway! Does ANYONE actually keep the Sabbath as instructed in the Bible? Well, I don't know about the Jews but the best that 7th-day Christians can do is to acknowledge the spirit of the Sabbath but, by nature of the times we live in, certainly not the letter of Sabbath-keeping. Do I believe that honoring the Sabbath is necessary for salvation? Logic tells me no, but another part of me is not so sure. SDA's believe that obedience and worship are SO important to God that such are of crucial importance to one's salvation. Their Bible-based doctrines explain the reasoning behind this belief.

The reason I bring up this topic at all is because many Christians - including a number of this forum - are sticklers for obedience to God's word. They will practically hit others over the head with scriptures of condemnation because 'God says we are to be obedient to His word' while they at the same time blatantly thumb their noses at the 4th-command of the Big Ten. The 7th-day Sabbath appears to have been very important for God and He instructed His people to honor that particular day to the exclusion of the others. He even blessed and sanctified the 7th-day but not the other six. NOWHERE did God bless the 1st-day that we call Sunday. I'm most curious as to why Christians choose not to honor the 7th-day Sabbath. My motives for asking might be questionable but the question itself IS legitimate. Why Do Christians Not Honor The Sabbath?
The SDA church has become a sister to fallen Babylon. Listening to their Jesuit Pastors they proclaim, using Ellen White's writings out of context, "Never leave the SDA Church". And then pretty much ignore the writings that declare that this church WOULD FALL just before the end times. Just had to get that out of the way.

As you may have studied and looked around, there is no legit answer one can give you for dishonouring the Sabbath day commandment. They simply have no passage in the Scriptures which will declare that the Sabbath is changed, or can be disregarded. This is part of what lead me to be a Sabbath keeper. The foundation for the Sabbath is actually built upon Scripture, and for not obeying it, is built upon superstition and lies.

Many however do not know that Saturday is truly the Sabbath Day Commandment. And upon learning it, soon will have a decision to make. Some take longer than others, but they'll come around if they are a sheep. As Christ says, my sheep hear my voice.

As for Sabbath observance specifically, I don't think there is really a set "distance" that one cannot travel on the Sabbath. Did they have one in the past, that they were sticklers for? Yes. But think about how long it would take them, and exactly HOW they traveled. God only had a problem with them doing WORK. For example, if it was a cold night, He clearly had no problem with them keeping a fire lit to prevent something like hypothermia. Usually people pull Scriptures out of context, to say you cannot keep a fire during Sabbath. Let us consider the times people. In the past, compared to now how much WORK is needed to get a fire? Do we physically go out find wood that will be useable, and then chop the wood, and then bring the wood back, and then do whatever is needed to set the wood up, and then try to start a fire? You could spend 30 minutes to an hour just to do ALL THAT. That is labour. But what about today? You flick a switch - Boom. You have heat. No work involved.

As for their distances, I've never came across a set requirement. And even if they did, what was their mode of transportation back then? Were they riding in vehicles that could go 60 MPH to get to where they needed to go? If they needed to go somewhere far away, wouldn't they have spent the MAJORITY of the Sabbath trying to get that far? And let's not forget, even Angels keep the Sabbath commandment. And how fast do their wings carry them? How fast do they travel between earth and Heaven, to comfort little ones, to shed light to those who are searching the Scriptures. It's all about work, that's all. Simply refraining from work, and preparing the day before for anything that you may need on that day.

Hope this helps!

Edit: Rather I should say, how FAST and HOW FAR do THEY travel?

KCKID

Feb 14, 2013
mjrhealth said:

In all His love
That's just the point. The Sabbath was/is designed to encourage attention to Christ as per NT scripture and to the Creation of the world as per NT and OT scripture. Yes, so too (apparently) is Sunday; however, it would appear that the RCC was more concerned about ITS authority and exalting ITS 'divine' status on earth more so than its obedience to a command of God. What bemuses me is that so many Christians are SO anti-Catholic and yet they - those that are aware and keep those that are not aware in ignorance, that is - have no qualms at all of having accepted a 'holy day' initiated by the RCC. Not only do they so willingly accept this 'RCC command' they can and often do become quite militant when it comes to defending Sunday as 'their Sabbath'.

My purpose for having initiated this thread was not to promote '7th-day Sabbath keeping' (although that would not necessarily be such a bad thing) but to emphasize the glaring cherry-picking of scriptures that goes on within the present-day Christian Church. How can one take it seriously when few can agree on major tenets while the majority of others simply follow the leader (and I don't mean Jesus) like sheep ...I mean, really . . .? Perhaps an overhaul of this belief system might be in order.

jiggyfly said:
Did the priests work on the sabbath under the old covenant?
According to this site: http://www.ecclesia.org/truth/sabbath-uncommon.html there are only three categories of work in scripture.

1. Works that are holy and merciful (i.e. preaching truth; helping others, studying God's Word)
  2. Works of sin (i.e. fornication, murder, theft).
  3. Works that are ordinary and common (i.e. harvesting, buying and selling, building things).

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
The reason why christians cant agrre on anything is because of this,

1Co 3:1 And I, brethren, could not speak unto you as unto spiritual, but as unto carnal, even as unto babes in Christ.
1Co 3:2 I have fed you with milk, and not with meat: for hitherto ye were not able to bear it, neither yet now are ye able.
1Co 3:3 For ye are yet carnal: for whereas there is among you envying, and strife, and divisions, are ye not carnal, and walk as men?

For even teh "bible" says,

Rom_8:14 For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, they are the sons of God.

Gal_5:18 But if ye be led of the Spirit, ye are not under the law.

Even Raenesk in one breath condemns teh SDA in in teh next is doing teh same thing,

again being in Christ is just that it is no the same as being in churchm, being led by teh Spirirt s as it says,

Gal_5:25 If we live in the Spirit, let us also walk in the Spirit.

1Co_2:4 And my speech and my preaching was not with enticing words of man's wisdom, but in demonstration of the Spirit and of power:

1Co_2:10 But God hath revealed them unto us by his Spirit: for the Spirit searcheth all things, yea, the deep things of God.

Chritans are carnal ye tdeny it at every turn, teh ydo not follow after Jesus, do not ask for teh ruth, they lean on there own undestanding and follow after men, they declare God is so small He can fit into a book and they wont let Him out. they do all these thinhgs at there own demise. if you are not in Christ than you are no better than the non believers, yet many of them will be at the Lords wedding feast where may christians will not.

In all His Love

Raeneske

Sep 18, 2012
jiggyfly said:
Did the priests work on the sabbath under the old covenant?
That's part of keeping the day holy. Why? Because they fed them, they "changed the showbread" on the Sabbath Day. There is no forbidding of the Gospel work on the Sabbath. That must go forward, and as I said, that's part of keeping the Sabbath Day Holy.

mjrhealth said:
The reason why christians cant agrre on anything is because of this,

1Co 3:1 And I, brethren, could not speak unto you as unto spiritual, but as unto carnal, even as unto babes in Christ.
1Co 3:2 I have fed you with milk, and not with meat: for hitherto ye were not able to bear it, neither yet now are ye able.
1Co 3:3 For ye are yet carnal: for whereas there is among you envying, and strife, and divisions, are ye not carnal, and walk as men?

For even teh "bible" says,

Rom_8:14 For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, they are the sons of God.

Even Raenesk in one breath condemns teh SDA in in teh next is doing teh same thing,

again being in Christ is just that it is no the same as being in churchm, being led by teh Spirirt s as it says,

Gal_5:25 If we live in the Spirit, let us also walk in the Spirit.

1Co_2:4 And my speech and my preaching was not with enticing words of man's wisdom, but in demonstration of the Spirit and of power:
1Co_2:10 But God hath revealed them unto us by his Spirit: for the Spirit searcheth all things, yea, the deep things of God.

Chritans are carnal ye tdeny it at every turn, teh ydo not follow after Jesus, do not ask for teh ruth, they lean on there own undestanding and follow after men, they declare God is so small He can fit into a book and they wont let Him out. they do all these thinhgs at there own demise. if you are not in Christ than you are no better than the non believers, yet many of them will be at the Lords wedding feast where may christians will not.

In all His Love
I condemn the apostasy of the SDA Church. The original SDA church had the pillars of faith, and now are faltering along. They are walking in sin, and I know of at least a dozen now that also keep Sunday Holy, instead of keeping the Sabbath.

The Sabbath Commandment is spiritual MJRHEALTH. It's an ENTIRE DAY of keeping the mind elevated, and removing secular work from your life.

The only possible way to be "under" the law, is to break the law. Which is why many people are still under the law today, they are under the law's condemnation.

Remember the Sabbath, dear MJRHEALTH. Do not forget it. REMEMBER.

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
they are under the law's condemnation.

YEs and that is why the ytry keep the sabbath, because they feel condemned, I am in Christ I am not and do not feel condemned, He is my Sabbath rest, and In Him I rest from my own works." EVERY DAY" if you must shout.

In all His Love

Raeneske

Sep 18, 2012
mjrhealth said:
YEs and that is why the ytry keep the sabbath, because they feel condemned, I am in Christ I am not and do not feel condemned, He is my Sabbath rest, and In Him I rest from my own works." EVERY DAY" if you must shout.

In all His Love
Or just quote me out of context.

Sorry MJRHEALTH, you don't know my heart. And I can assure you, I do not keep the Sabbath because I feel condemned. However, I would feel condemned if I broke ANY of the 10 Commandments, not just the Sabbath. Why, because the Spirit will pierce my heart. How could I do such great wickedness. Shout everyday if you want to. I never had a problem with you worshipping everyday. I read and pray to God everyday as well. As a matter of fact, as a Sabbath keeper I'm more devoted to Christ, than I was as a Sunday-Keeper. But I keep His Sabbath for ONE FULL DAY. Why? Because it's a commandment.

Shout until you're blue in the face my friend. As blue as my text. :unsure: But shouting it won't save you, if you know you continue to willfully reject the light of truth concerning God and His Sabbath. As the Scriptures say. Keep all of them but one point, and YOU ... are guilty of breaking them all.

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
If you feel conedmned if you break any of teh ten commandemnts than its because they are doing wht they are supposed to do to those who are under the "law', condemning you thats what the ydo and for that there is no grace. Its grace or teh Law. its Jesus or the law. its condemnar=tion by te law which requires a blood sacrifice' yours" or its grace through Christ who has already paid the price for teh law as Paul wrote.

Gal 2:14 But when I saw that they walked not uprightly according to the truth of the gospel, I said unto Peter before them all, If thou, being a Jew, livest after the manner of Gentiles, and not as do the Jews, why compellest thou the Gentiles to live as do the Jews?

Gal 2:21 I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness come by the law, then Christ is dead in vain.

In all His Love

JB_Reformed Baptist

Many are called but few are chosen.
Feb 23, 2013
AUSTRALIA
mjrhealth said:
If you feel conedmned if you break any of teh ten commandemnts than its because they are doing wht they are supposed to do to those who are under the "law', condemning you thats what the ydo and for that there is no grace. Its grace or teh Law. its Jesus or the law. its condemnar=tion by te law which requires a blood sacrifice' yours" or its grace through Christ who has already paid the price for teh law as Paul wrote.

Gal 2:14 But when I saw that they walked not uprightly according to the truth of the gospel, I said unto Peter before them all, If thou, being a Jew, livest after the manner of Gentiles, and not as do the Jews, why compellest thou the Gentiles to live as do the Jews?

Gal 2:21 I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness come by the law, then Christ is dead in vain.

In all His Love
Galatians 2:21
I do not frustrate - Ουκ αθετω· I do not contemn, despise, or render useless, the grace of God - the doctrine of Christ crucified; which I must do if I preach the necessity of observing the law.

For if righteousness - If justification and salvation come by an observance of the law, then Christ is dead in vain; his death is useless if an observance of the law can save us; but no observance of the law can save us, and therefore there was an absolute necessity for the death of Christ. Clarke

jiggyfly

Nov 27, 2009
North Carolina
Raeneske said:
That's part of keeping the day holy. Why? Because they fed them, they "changed the showbread" on the Sabbath Day. There is no forbidding of the Gospel work on the Sabbath. That must go forward, and as I said, that's part of keeping the Sabbath Day Holy.
Do you have any scripture to support your belief? Seems many want to mix the the old with the new.

Axehead

May 9, 2012
KCKID said:
Axehead: Well KC, there are many Christians and some meet on Thursday, some Friday, and Saturday or Sunday or maybe even Tuesday.

Sure they do; however, this has got nothing to do with either the 7th-day Sabbath as initiated by God or the bogus "sabbath" as initiated by man (the RCC).

Axehead: Many house churches meet when it is convenient for the majority.

Good for them; however, this has got nothing to do with either the 7th-day Sabbath as initiated by God or the bogus "sabbath" initiated by man (the RCC).

Axehead: The solemnity is not in keeping a specific day, but in keeping right relationship with man and God.

But, that's only your opinion. While that might be alright with me it's not scriptural. This is a man-made belief that somehow implies that if one honors the 7th-day Sabbath this somehow negates their ability in keeping right relationships between man and God. It's nonsense. We really CAN do both!

Axehead: That is what is important.

I'm sure that God thought that the 7th-day Sabbath was important when He blessed and sanctified it at Creation. What you are doing here is putting forward man-made rules - or, more like, we can choose whatever day we like - and somehow claiming them to be scriptural.

Axehead: Think that'll do it?

Feeling a tad smug, Axehead? But, actually no ...that won't do it.

Not feeling smug, but that'll do it for me.

Axehead: Or do you have any other questions?

Oh yes, undoubtedly a touch of smugness.

Weil, I considered how to ask you if you had any more questions since your question has been exhaustively answered. I just decided to be straight up and ask you if you had any more questions. To the pure all things are pure so if you think I was being smug, maybe it's because you are a smug person to begin with.

My initial question was ...Why Do Christians Not Honor The Sabbath? Despite the bold attempts to abrogate the Sabbath command (the 4th of the Big Ten) that have been most impressive ...this question has not been answered. The majority of Christians would have no clue that Sunday is NOT the Sabbath and so any impressive dialog such as what you've presented would be entirely wasted on them. To the average Christian, the below is the 4th commandment of the TEN that they believe to be for all time ...not NINE, mind, but TEN:

Remember the Sabbath day (Sunday), and keep it holy. For six days you shall labor and do all your work. But the seventh day (Sunday) is a Sabbath to the Lord your God; you shall not do any work-you, your son or your daughter, your male or female slave, your livestock, or the alien resident in your towns. For in six days the Lord made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that is in them, but rested the seventh day (Sunday); therefore the Lord blessed the Sabbath day (Sunday) and consecrated it.

Tell me that I'm wrong, Axehead, in regard to what the average Christian believes.

Ok, you are wrong, KC.

Have a nice day.

Axehead

domenic

Apr 5, 2013
As to your OP:

Christians don't follow most of Gods rules, why do you expect them to follow this one?

Raeneske

Sep 18, 2012
jiggyfly said:
Do you have any scripture to support your belief? Seems many want to mix the the old with the new.
That we have to keep the Sabbath? That there is no forbidding of Spiritual work on the Sabbath? Simply look at what God commands the Priests to do in the OT, which was also done on the Sabbath. Simply look at the work Jesus did on the Sabbath Day as well. Was it secular labor? No, He preached the coming of His Kingdom, as did the Apostles as well. There is no mixture.

Axehead said:
Hi James,

I would like to respond, but maybe something has happened in the latest "upgrade", as I cannot quote parts of your post above. I used to be able to go into your post and hit enter where it would be separated from the rest of your post when I hit enter and then I could reply. But, that does not happen anymore. So, it now has become quite laborious if not impossible to quote parts of your post. I will ask Hammer about this.

Let me just say that Jesus is the Lord of EVERY day and I know you will agree. No problem there, right? And with the Sabbath, no one observes it the way the Lord outlined for men to observe in the OT. Absolutely does not happen that way, today. All kinds of men make all kinds of "exceptions" and based on their personal exceptions they are judging others. I don't believe you are judging others but I have read "judgments" of others who don't "observe" the sabbath on this forum and other forums.

So, everyone has their special "rules" and "exceptions" and many of these are tied to specific denominations. You say, "I don't know why it is so hard for people....".

The point is that "in Christ" there is a higher law (the law of the Spirit of Life in Christ Jesus), and we have been set free to observe (abide in) Christ 7 days a week just like each day was a Sabbath because we have received the TRUE REST of internal peace with God and freedom from our own strife of pleasing God with our "acts of righteousness/performance".

The other very important thing is that once men make one rule, then they make another (sabbath, tithing) and then another (wednesday bible studies), and then another (get involved at least in 1 church program, faith without works is dead) and then another and another and another. And with each rule that they make, there is a list of exceptions (Sounds like Congress).
And what you have is separation of brethren by man-made denominatios because brethren have divided along lines of non-essentials.

Rom_14:5 One man esteemeth one day above another: another esteemeth every day alike. Let every man be fully persuaded in his own mind.

This is why it is so important to "hold the line" on people that are trying to put you under their particular flavor of bondage (while calling it freedom).

Gal 5:1 Stand fast therefore in the liberty wherewith Christ hath made us free, and be not entangled again with the yoke of bondage.

If we really believe that to know Christ is to be indwelt with His Holy Spirit then we will leave other Christians alone and not judge them on what they eat, what day they "observe" the Lord (when we are supposed to walking tightly with Him everyday), what they drive, what kind of house they live in, what they do with their money, how much they are giving, etc, etc, etc.

We must really believe that all the commandments are wrapped up in loving God with all our heart and our neighbor as ourselves and if we don't then we start codifying the Bible and bringing people under our particular, special rules that will "really bring you close to God".

Let me close with some poignant scriptures because I have found that this discussion will never end and many men are married to their rules and regulations and traditions.

Psa 24:3 Who shall ascend into the hill of the LORD? or who shall stand in his holy place?
Psa 24:4 He that hath clean hands, and a pure heart; who hath not lifted up his soul unto vanity, nor sworn deceitfully.
Psa 24:5 He shall receive the blessing from the LORD, and righteousness from the God of his salvation.

1Ti_1:5 Now the end of the commandment is charity out of a pure heart, and of a good conscience, and of faith unfeigned:

2Ti_2:22 Flee also youthful lusts: but follow righteousness, faith, charity, peace, with them that call on the Lord out of a pure heart.

1Pe_1:22 Seeing ye have purified your souls in obeying the truth through the Spirit unto unfeigned love of the brethren, see that ye love one another with a pure heart fervently:

No one disagrees that when Paul is talking about ALL the LAW in Galatians 3:23, that it includes the 10 commandments. It would be quite silly to say "before faith came we were kept under the law, except for the 10 commandments...", when we all know that before faith came (Faith in Jesus Christ is what Paul is talking about), everyone was INDEED KEPT UNDER the 10 commandments, too. Before Jesus Christ it was the times of the Old Testament and the 10 commandments are very much a part of the "time" before Christ came.

But, now that the "faith which should afterwards be revealed" has come, this "LAW" which was our "SCHOOLMASTER" is no longer our schoolmaster. In fact, Paul's exact words are "we are no longer under a schoolmaster". Why? We are all the children of God by faith in Christ Jesus. And so, we need to walk in love with each other and allow each other to answer to Jesus Christ and follow Jesus Christ and we should build up one another in the faith. We all need encouragement to fight the good fight.

Gal 3:23 But before faith came, we were kept under the law, shut up unto the faith which should afterwards be revealed.
Gal 3:24 Wherefore the law was our schoolmaster to bring us unto Christ, that we might be justified by faith.
Gal 3:25 But after that faith is come, we are no longer under a schoolmaster.
Gal 3:26 For ye are all the children of God by faith in Christ Jesus.

Thanks for listening James. This is how I have received the word from the Holy Spirit and I certainly do not begrudge my brothers to observe any days that they desire to observe. Observing days or not observing days does not disqualify someone from having faith in Christ, power to overcome the enemy, having a good conscience or a pure heart. "Let every man be persuaded in their own man". Now that is a loving statement from a great Apostle, which comes directly from the inspiration of the Holy Spirit and that is what I have adopted as my own attitude towards others.

We now fulfill the 10 commandments "In Christ". Instead of murder, we are not even to hate, instead of actually committing adultery, we are not lust in our heart, instead of observing the "rest" of the Sabbath one day a week, we enjoy the "Sabbath Rest of God" daily as we are now joined to the Lord by His Spirit and abide in Him 7x24x365.

God bless you and everyone else on this thread.

Axehead
Well Axehead, almost no two people believe exactly alike on every single point of doctrine. While I disagree with work on Sabbath, one may believe it is work to check your email on the Sabbath. I have no such belief, as I get emails from my church members on the Sabbath. It is simply how we communicate. Now I can add my two cents in, and say the reason some people don't follow the Sabbath the exact way you see it should be followed in the OT, is because they have a different understanding of it than you. For example, people say you cannot start fires on the Sabbath. Aside from completely stripping that verse out of context, let's consider the following: You can't have a fire on Sabbath? So, God gave them up to chances of hypothermia, etc. for obeying his law? No. Now putting that back in context, we realize how much WORK it was to start a fire. You had to get your ax, or whatever, go out and look for the wood. And then, when you got there you had to chop up the wood. And then when you did that, you had to bring the wood back. And then you would have to prepare the wood. And then you would have to try to start the fire. By this time, do you know how much time has passed? Probably around 30 minutes to an hour. This is LABOUR, this is WORK. God is not referring to simply starting a fire, with wood you ALREADY HAVE, to keep warm. He is stopping people from doing things on this day, they SHOULD HAVE DONE on the preparation day. But anyways, that's my two cents.

As for the constant quoting of Romans 14:5, it's wholly out of context. The first verse talks about "doubtful disputations", about him that is weak in faith. In other words, things that are not certain. It is not a doubtful disputation to obeying any of the other 10 Commandments, is it? No, it's pretty obvious, men obey that law because of Christ, and not simply for the sake of the law. It's all about Christ, because they love Him, they simply cannot find themselves wanting to harm their fellow men, or disobeying God.

Is keeping the Sabbath a doubtful disputation? Not according to Jesus, who assured us we would be keeping the Sabbath when Jerusalem was under attack when He said "Pray that your flight is not on the Sabbath day, nor winter". But some look at that, and come up with a different reason. But we find in Revelation, (Chapter 1) John the Apostle is in the Spirit on the "Lord's Day". Now, where do you turn to find out the LORD's Day? The world or the scriptures. Those are the only options I give. Hopefully the Scriptures. What's the LORD's day? As Jesus when He said He is LORD of the Sabbath. Or in Isaiah 58:13-14, He calls the Sabbath HIS day. Both in the OT and the NT, it is known that the Sabbath is Jesus's day.

So again, I ask this contradiction to be explained. You will keep the letter of the law of Thou shalt not kill (meaning you won't go out and literally outwardly murder someone). You will keep the Spirit of the law of thou shalt not kill (meaning you will not even hate your brother in your heart). You will keep the letter and spirit of thou shalt not commit adultery. You will keep the letter and spirit of not committing idolatry. I can point out every single commandment, in which many Christians, including yourself, will admit that keeping the letter and the spirit are things we as Christians we should be doing. But when we get to #4, there are a bunch of walking contradictions out there. They refuse to keep the letter (meaning the actual 7th Day), but then continue to claim to keep it spiritually. You can't keep it spiritually, without understanding keeping the basic letter of the law. It simply makes no sense. It is purely contradictory, it makes no sense.

What also makes no sense, is that obeying the other commandments does not warrant to someone as a "work" in some peoples eyes. But then, the minute you get to #4, it immediately becomes a work to save yourself. That also is a contradiction.

What's my main point Axehead? We've gone back in forth on this topic many times, you know where I stand, I know where you stand. It is the blatant contradictions I am trying to get you to see, the same way you saw the contradictions in eternal life in hellfire, when I was explaining them to you. Not saying you changed your theology, but when you saw all that I had to post, and then gave the response saying you know not whether the flames are literal or not. I have a problem with contradictions, as you can tell. But I know the Word of God does not contradict, only how men explain it contradicts.

Axehead

May 9, 2012
KCKID said:
Axehead: Well KC, there are many Christians and some meet on Thursday, some Friday, and Saturday or Sunday or maybe even Tuesday.

Sure they do; however, this has got nothing to do with either the 7th-day Sabbath as initiated by God or the bogus "sabbath" as initiated by man (the RCC).

Axehead: Many house churches meet when it is convenient for the majority.

Good for them; however, this has got nothing to do with either the 7th-day Sabbath as initiated by God or the bogus "sabbath" initiated by man (the RCC).

Axehead: The solemnity is not in keeping a specific day, but in keeping right relationship with man and God.

But, that's only your opinion. While that might be alright with me it's not scriptural. This is a man-made belief that somehow implies that if one honors the 7th-day Sabbath this somehow negates their ability in keeping right relationships between man and God. It's nonsense. We really CAN do both!

Axehead: That is what is important.

I'm sure that God thought that the 7th-day Sabbath was important when He blessed and sanctified it at Creation. What you are doing here is putting forward man-made rules - or, more like, we can choose whatever day we like - and somehow claiming them to be scriptural.

Axehead: Think that'll do it?

Feeling a tad smug, Axehead? But, actually no ...that won't do it.

Axehead: Or do you have any other questions?

Oh yes, undoubtedly a touch of smugness. My initial question was ...Why Do Christians Not Honor The Sabbath? Despite the bold attempts to abrogate the Sabbath command (the 4th of the Big Ten) that have been most impressive ...this question has not been answered. The majority of Christians would have no clue that Sunday is NOT the Sabbath and so any impressive dialog such as what you've presented would be entirely wasted on them. To the average Christian, the below is the 4th commandment of the TEN that they believe to be for all time ...not NINE, mind, but TEN:

Remember the Sabbath day (Sunday), and keep it holy. For six days you shall labor and do all your work. But the seventh day (Sunday) is a Sabbath to the Lord your God; you shall not do any work-you, your son or your daughter, your male or female slave, your livestock, or the alien resident in your towns. For in six days the Lord made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that is in them, but rested the seventh day (Sunday); therefore the Lord blessed the Sabbath day (Sunday) and consecrated it.

Tell me that I'm wrong, Axehead, in regard to what the average Christian believes.
Hi Raeneske,

Round and round we go.

Excuse me while I hop off KC's and your "merry-go-round" of folly.

Enjoy your fellowship with KC.

This thread has become a waste of time and I am not going to feed your "strange fire".

Axehead

Reactions: HeRoseFromTheDead

KCKID

Feb 14, 2013
domenic said:
As to your OP:

Christians don't follow most of Gods rules, why do you expect them to follow this one?
Well, there's a great deal of inconsistency anyway.

Axehead said:
Hi Raeneske,

Round and round we go.

Excuse me while I hop off KC's and your "merry-go-round" of folly.

Enjoy your fellowship with KC.

This thread has become a waste of time and I am not going to feed your "strange fire".

Axehead
"Strange fire"? "Merry-go-round" of folly? Is this not the word of God we're discussing here? Whether in spirit or letter the Ten Commandments apply to we of today even if the Levitical laws are now dead and buried. We can relate to the TC and they hold common sense value for every thinking person as has already been pointed out by Raeneske. All but the 4th-command it would seem. By pure coincidence I was invited for lunch just yesterday (Sunday) by a friend who was entertaining a Mormon couple. I hadn't known that Mormons refer to Sunday as 'the Sabbath' but this was the term used by the couple frequently when they made reference to the day that we were in. While I did briefly mention that the Bible Sabbath is Saturday, the 7th-day, I didn't make a big deal of it since I was a guest. I was just surprised that they (members of the LDS) call Sunday 'the Sabbath'. Obviously, they at least have something in common with mainstream Christians.

This subject is well worth discussing as often as is necessary to bring Christians into scriptural truths. Are there Ten Commandments or are there nine ...or none? Yes, I know ...it's the Spirit within us that makes it unnecessary for us to acknowledge any 'tangible' commands. For those interested, the RCC have tampered with the TC previously when they removed command #3 about 'graven images'. They took that one out, moved the 4th-command up to #3 and split commandment #10 into two to compensate for the missing one. They (the RCC) are quote forthright in their admitting to having scrubbed the 7th-day Sabbath in favor of Sunday or "the Lord's Day" as they call it. This is totally unscriptural on both counts of course but they ARE, after all, God's Universal Church and Protestants have pretty well kowtowed to them since day one. So, is it 'folly' to try to expose biblical corruption on the part of man? Well, okay . . .

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
There is teh old covenant, given to teh JEws and teh new covenant under which jews and gentiles alike are supposed to live. The Jews prefer the old and many christians seem to think it better than the new, but the old only leads to death it can do nothing else. Besdies that untill you go to Christ and ask Him the circle will just keep going round.

Luk_5:37 And no man putteth new wine into old bottles; else the new wine will burst the bottles, and be spilled, and the bottles shall perish.
Luk_5:38 But new wine must be put into new bottles; and both are preserved.
Luk_5:39 No man also having drunk old wine straightway desireth new: for he saith, The old is better.

Yet christans have teh new but still keep running back to teh old.

In all His Love

Status
Not open for further replies.