Why Do Christians Not Honor The Sabbath?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Status
Not open for further replies.

KCKID

Feb 14, 2013
Townsville, QLD. Australia
mjrhealth said:
Its like this KCID, you can doo all you like to try please God and just make a fool of your self, for when you stand before Jesus and say " hey Jesus look at me , look at all that I did". and Jesus with a smile would say, " I had already done it all". Resting in Christ is all about resting from your own works, even keepin teh Sabbath is a work which is why it could never save anyone. Its Grace or the law you cant take bits of one and mix it with the other. You have a decision to make which will it be.?? Your life depends on teh choice..

Deu_30:19 I call heaven and earth to record this day against you, that I have set before you life and death, blessing and cursing: therefore choose life, that both thou and thy seed may live:

In all His Love
One's righteousness has NEVER been determined by how one keeps the law. I don't know why you persistently think that I'm saying this. People have always been saved by grace and not by their keeping the law. Keeping the law has little to do with one's 'heart' condition as per God (i.e. most non-Christians don't murder, steal, commit adultery, etc.) whereas obedience stemming from 'love of God' does. In this regard NOTHING has changed pre-Jesus or post-Jesus. It seems uncharacteristic of you (from what I've seen of your previous posts) to imply that should one choose obedience to the 4th-command they could lose eternal life. That's silly. So too is your saying that obedience to God is tantamount to one's 'making a fool of themselves'. Incidentally, would you also make the same argument if I were to have entitled this thread: "Why Do Sabbatarians Not Honor Sunday?" If so, you would likely have an army of militant "Sunday keepers" wanting to string you up. Alternatively, if not, why would you not use scripture to level at those who are faithful to Sunday, the Christian "sabbath"?

Dan57

Sep 25, 2012
Illinois
Faith
Country
United States
KCKID said:
Nonsense.
So your saying Jesus was not Lord of the Sabbath? Sounds like you just want another day off of work to worship Saturdays :)

Raeneske said:
Jesus is Lord of the Sabbath. That does not make Him the Sabbath. That's like saying the Queen of England is not just the queen, but she is England herself. That doesn't make any sense. The reason He is LORD, is because it is HIS day. And the Sabbath points to what happens in Creation Week, and not at the cross. Therefore it simply cannot be a shadow of the cross.

And it is not possible to keep the Sabbath everyday, dear Dan. Isaiah 58:13-14 can show you that.
I disagree.. Do you find rest on Saturdays or in Christ? God didn't get exhausted after 6 days of creation. The Sabbath was never about a specific day or a time set aside to physically rest. The implication was to cease from your own labors, your own efforts, your own activity, your own works, to depend and rely on the work of another. Our rest comes from the Lord, our comfort comes from his Holy Spirit, the Sabbath simply represented he who was Lord of it, it was symbolically implemented for the Hebrews, but became a reality when Christ said 'It is finished".

Just as animal sacrifice was symbolic of the ultimate sacrifice, the Sabbath was representative of our ultimate rest. The Sabbath keeping statute was fulfilled when Christ said "It is finished" on Calvary. Now the commandment is written in the hearts of believers, our comfort is in his Holy Spirit and our rest is our redemption through his work. When we receive the Lord, we automatically keep the Sabbath.

Worshipping Saturdays now is tantamount to worshipping a rock, imo its idolatry. If you find your rest on Saturdays instead of Christ, why not sacrifice animals and ignore the cross too? I think your confusing physical rest from spiritual rest?

Raeneske

Sep 18, 2012
Dan57 said:
So your saying Jesus was not Lord of the Sabbath? Sounds like you just want another day off of work to worship Saturdays :)

I disagree.. Do you find rest on Saturdays or in Christ? God didn't get exhausted after 6 days of creation. The Sabbath was never about a specific day or a time set aside to physically rest. The implication was to cease from your own labors, your own efforts, your own activity, your own works, to depend and rely on the work of another. Our rest comes from the Lord, our comfort comes from his Holy Spirit, the Sabbath simply represented he who was Lord of it, it was symbolically implemented for the Hebrews, but became a reality when Christ said 'It is finished".

Just as animal sacrifice was symbolic of the ultimate sacrifice, the Sabbath was representative of our ultimate rest. The Sabbath keeping statute was fulfilled when Christ said "It is finished" on Calvary. Now the commandment is written in the hearts of believers, our comfort is in his Holy Spirit and our rest is our redemption through his work. When we receive the Lord, we automatically keep the Sabbath.

Worshipping Saturdays now is tantamount to worshipping a rock, imo its idolatry. If you find your rest on Saturdays instead of Christ, why not sacrifice animals and ignore the cross too? I think your confusing physical rest from spiritual rest?
Without citing scripture, you're quoting it out of context. You're applying "it is finished" to Commandment Number 4.

Now one does find rest in Christ, but it is the same way one found rest in Christ BEFORE the Cross. They sought Him early in the morning (King David's Psalms), they had faith in the Redeemer TO Come (before the knowledge was lost about what the Saviour was actually going to do). Now, I am not implying that God got tired, and therefore had to rest. No, God rested purposefully on the Sabbath Day. You also cannot say the Sabbath was not about a specific day or time set aside, because there are zero, I repeat, zero, Scriptures which back you up on that. Specifically in Genesis, we see that God rested and set the day apart for Holy Use. In the Commandments, we see why we keep the Sabbath, because we copy our Creator in character, and in things that we do and do not do. We also find that Jesus states the SABBATH was made for man, not for the Jew. And certainly, not pointing to the Cross. And nowhere do the Scriptures declare that the 7th Day Sabbath had anything to do with the cross. Again, I emphasize turning to Genesis 2:1-3 and Exodus 20:8-11. It was not a SHADOW of something to come. The commandment itself points BACK to Creation week. It is not as the other Sabbaths which do not find their place within the eternal moral law. The other holy days did in fact point to what Jesus would do on the cross.

You cannot apply "it is finished" to the Sabbath Commandment. To do so, you must then apply the EXACT same logic to all the other commandments. All of them, or none of them, as per James 2:10. This is a "grouping" issue. What we are seeing is taking the moral law, stripping out the 4th one, and placing that with the ceremonial law. You simply cannot do that. That is picking and choosing what you can and will obey, and that is what is spoken of again in James Chapter 2 (early on). If you teach obedience to any part of that law, you must obey all of it. There is no picking and choosing.

The Word "Remember" appears within the fourth commandment. It is the only commandment which Christiandom has forgotten to keep. One can see the Creator's wisdom in placing THIS word into that commandment. So, will you say "Remember" the Sabbath, actually means "Forget it"?

So no, Jesus is not "the Sabbath". Jesus is - the Saviour - of those obedient Christians who keep the Sabbath.

I mean no disrespect, but I must point out that the stance that Jesus is the Sabbath, doesn't make any sense. One cannot provide for me a shred of Biblical Text in context that says, "Therefore, Jesus is your Sabbath". Scripture emphasizes keeping God's Commandments, keeping the entire law, and it emphasizes Jesus did not change anything within that lie. It also emphasizes to Remember the Sabbath - TO KEEP IT HOLY. The commandment continues and points out the requirement of resting the seventh day.

Now if you disagree with all that I said, I would like to take another look at simple common sense, and contradictions.

Letter of the Law Commandment Number Six Spirit of the Law
Do not literally murder Thou shalt not kill Do not hate your brother within your heart

As a Christian you keep this commandment quite literally, to the letter, yes? You also have the help of Jesus to keep this commandment within your heart as well. You are therefore keeping the letter of the law, and the Spirit of the law. Let's look at another commandment

Letter of the Law Commandment Number Seven Spirit of the Law
Do not literally commit adultery Thou shalt not commit adultery Do not look after a man or woman with lust

As a Christian you keep this commandment also quite literally. You also have the help of Jesus to keep this spiritually as well. You can do that with EVERY single commandment and find that you keep the letter and the spirit of the law. Now, think about commandment number 4. Does it make, any sense, whatsoever, to claim to be keeping a law spiritually, if you quite honestly refuse to keep it literally? Think about that. How does that even make sense? How can you claim to keep the Sabbath, even claiming that Jesus is your Sabbath, if you do not "Rest the Sabbath Day According to the Commandment"? Even John the Revelator was found keeping the LORD's day in Revelation 1:10. What is the LORD's Day? The World refers to it as Sunday. I do not, I let Scripture say that Jesus is LORD of the Sabbath Day, and that it is HIS Holy DAY (Isaiah 58:13-14). It's an absolute contradiction. We keep literally and spiritually all the other laws. There is not a Scriptural reason that the same logic does not apply to the 4th Commandment. The 4th Commandment testifies of itself that it would be later forgotten. And again I repeat, keep the whole law, Jesus did not change the law, and we are to REMEMBER to keep the Sabbath Day.

JB_Reformed Baptist

Many are called but few are chosen.
Feb 23, 2013
AUSTRALIA
Raeneske said:
Without citing scripture, you're quoting it out of context. You're applying "it is finished" to Commandment Number 4.

Now one does find rest in Christ, but it is the same way one found rest in Christ BEFORE the Cross. They sought Him early in the morning (King David's Psalms), they had faith in the Redeemer TO Come (before the knowledge was lost about what the Saviour was actually going to do). Now, I am not implying that God got tired, and therefore had to rest. No, God rested purposefully on the Sabbath Day. You also cannot say the Sabbath was not about a specific day or time set aside, because there are zero, I repeat, zero, Scriptures which back you up on that. Specifically in Genesis, we see that God rested and set the day apart for Holy Use. In the Commandments, we see why we keep the Sabbath, because we copy our Creator in character, and in things that we do and do not do. We also find that Jesus states the SABBATH was made for man, not for the Jew. And certainly, not pointing to the Cross. And nowhere do the Scriptures declare that the 7th Day Sabbath had anything to do with the cross. Again, I emphasize turning to Genesis 2:1-3 and Exodus 20:8-11. It was not a SHADOW of something to come. The commandment itself points BACK to Creation week. It is not as the other Sabbaths which do not find their place within the eternal moral law. The other holy days did in fact point to what Jesus would do on the cross.

You cannot apply "it is finished" to the Sabbath Commandment. To do so, you must then apply the EXACT same logic to all the other commandments. All of them, or none of them, as per James 2:10. This is a "grouping" issue. What we are seeing is taking the moral law, stripping out the 4th one, and placing that with the ceremonial law. You simply cannot do that. That is picking and choosing what you can and will obey, and that is what is spoken of again in James Chapter 2 (early on). If you teach obedience to any part of that law, you must obey all of it. There is no picking and choosing.

The Word "Remember" appears within the fourth commandment. It is the only commandment which Christiandom has forgotten to keep. One can see the Creator's wisdom in placing THIS word into that commandment. So, will you say "Remember" the Sabbath, actually means "Forget it"?

So no, Jesus is not "the Sabbath". Jesus is - the Saviour - of those obedient Christians who keep the Sabbath.

I mean no disrespect, but I must point out that the stance that Jesus is the Sabbath, doesn't make any sense. One cannot provide for me a shred of Biblical Text in context that says, "Therefore, Jesus is your Sabbath". Scripture emphasizes keeping God's Commandments, keeping the entire law, and it emphasizes Jesus did not change anything within that lie. It also emphasizes to Remember the Sabbath - TO KEEP IT HOLY. The commandment continues and points out the requirement of resting the seventh day.

Now if you disagree with all that I said, I would like to take another look at simple common sense, and contradictions.

Letter of the Law Commandment Number Six Spirit of the Law
Do not literally murder Thou shalt not kill Do not hate your brother within your heart

As a Christian you keep this commandment quite literally, to the letter, yes? You also have the help of Jesus to keep this commandment within your heart as well. You are therefore keeping the letter of the law, and the Spirit of the law. Let's look at another commandment

Letter of the Law Commandment Number Seven Spirit of the Law
Do not literally commit adultery Thou shalt not commit adultery Do not look after a man or woman with lust

As a Christian you keep this commandment also quite literally. You also have the help of Jesus to keep this spiritually as well. You can do that with EVERY single commandment and find that you keep the letter and the spirit of the law. Now, think about commandment number 4. Does it make, any sense, whatsoever, to claim to be keeping a law spiritually, if you quite honestly refuse to keep it literally? Think about that. How does that even make sense? How can you claim to keep the Sabbath, even claiming that Jesus is your Sabbath, if you do not "Rest the Sabbath Day According to the Commandment"? Even John the Revelator was found keeping the LORD's day in Revelation 1:10. What is the LORD's Day? The World refers to it as Sunday. I do not, I let Scripture say that Jesus is LORD of the Sabbath Day, and that it is HIS Holy DAY (Isaiah 58:13-14). It's an absolute contradiction. We keep literally and spiritually all the other laws. There is not a Scriptural reason that the same logic does not apply to the 4th Commandment. The 4th Commandment testifies of itself that it would be later forgotten. And again I repeat, keep the whole law, Jesus did not change the law, and we are to REMEMBER to keep the Sabbath Day.
Nicely laid out. :)

HeRoseFromTheDead

Not So Advanced Member
Jan 6, 2012
Raeneske said:
The 4th Commandment testifies of itself that it would be later forgotten. And again I repeat, keep the whole law, Jesus did not change the law, and we are to REMEMBER to keep the Sabbath Day.
Actually, there has been a change of law. People who say otherwise are in denial:

Thus if perfection was through the Levitical priesthood, for on the basis of it the people received the law, what further need [is there] for another priest to arise according to the order of Melchizedek and not said to be according to the order of Aaron? For [when] the priesthood changes, of necessity there is a change of the law also. Hebrews 7:11-12

The priesthood has changed. Of necessity, then, the law has also changed.

Do you realize that if you drive a car to church on Saturday, according to the law you are breaking the 4th commandment? Driving is work; many earn a living that way. If you cook a meal, you are breaking the law because cooking is work.

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Hi KCID, ill explain the best as I can,

The OT Law. You are driving up a hill, speed limit is 60 KMH , so you drive up teh hill no intention on breaking the law, as you get to teh top and go over the peak, the car accelrats a little. There is a cop, there, he pulls you over. He says to you, you where doing 60.000000000000000000001 kmh, you broke the law. He handcuffs you thriows you in the paddie wagon and off you go to server your sentnce. So now to keep this law, most drivers will just dive slowly so they can never get that fast but many will try to drive on teh edge, trying to sit at 60.00000000000000000000000000000 kmh thinking how good they are, but forever getting busted and thrown in jail. That is teh law, no compromises.
Than came grace, same hill, you go over the top, you reach 62 kmh, cop smile at you, shakes his head as a warning and lets you go on. But there is always teh bad cop, next day same hill cop busts you throws you in jail, go to court stand before teh judge, prosecutor cries guilty, Jesus stands up says, judge the fine is paid he is free to go. so off you go. So you drive that same way everyday, never intentionally breaking teh law but no longer worried for all teh fines have being already paid in full.

Now God is a nother story, see He has never changed but theer is a big diff between God in the OT and teh God that Jesus showed us. Now to put it into terms as the Lord has shown me.

I have a grand child, I usually get her in teh morning on teh weekend and quiet a bit during teh day when I am home. Now she wakes up around 7, I go get her, change her, get her a bottle and sit down and feed her. She doesnt ask, doesnt cry she just accepts that pop knows her needs and wqill do what is neccessary. Now occasioaly she throws up, its cool, but no one gets mad, we get a cloth wipe up the mess and go on. When she poohs her nappy, we change her we dont get mad at her for doing what comes naturally, and that is how God is, why do you think we are supposed to come to Him as little children. People wont always trying to prove themselves to God., instead of just trusting that He know our every need and wont yell at us when we mess up. Thas why we have grace.

In all His Love

Axehead

May 9, 2012
Raeneske said:
Jesus is Lord of the Sabbath. That does not make Him the Sabbath. That's like saying the Queen of England is not just the queen, but she is England herself. That doesn't make any sense. The reason He is LORD, is because it is HIS day. And the Sabbath points to what happens in Creation Week, and not at the cross. Therefore it simply cannot be a shadow of the cross.

And it is not possible to keep the Sabbath everyday, dear Dan. Isaiah 58:13-14 can show you that.

Consider the Scriptures when Moses pointed out exactly THE Sabbath Day, and God did not rain manna from Heaven. God has a specific day in mind, and is not allowing mankind to arbitrarily establish a day for himself, whensoever he may find it convenient to do so. There is ONE specific day dear Excubitor.
Jesus is not only the Lord of the Sabbath, but He has become our Sabbath everyday for "in Him we live and move and have our being" and that is not a one day a week exercise. The Queen of England cannot make such a claim of her subjects.

He is the King of Heaven and He is Heaven for Heaven is not Heaven without Jesus. England will still be England without the Queen.

The Bible says, "He is our peace, our righteousness, our salvation, our truth, our resting place". In short, He is our ALL in ALL even if you are laboring 7 days a week in prison or out of prison.

I believe you have clearly come out and said in this thread in many and sundry ways that those who follow Christ and don't "keep the sabbath" as you do on Saturday are disobedient Christians.

If you are so right about this, then what is that angry thing that keeps rising up inside of you? Why is there so much "fight" in you? Is that from the Lord?

Axehead

Raeneske

Sep 18, 2012
ChristRoseFromTheDead said:
Actually, there has been a change of law. People who say otherwise are in denial:

Thus if perfection was through the Levitical priesthood, for on the basis of it the people received the law, what further need [is there] for another priest to arise according to the order of Melchizedek and not said to be according to the order of Aaron? For [when] the priesthood changes, of necessity there is a change of the law also. Hebrews 7:11-12

The priesthood has changed. Of necessity, then, the law has also changed.

Do you realize that if you drive a car to church on Saturday, according to the law you are breaking the 4th commandment? Driving is work; many earn a living that way. If you cook a meal, you are breaking the law because cooking is work.
Okay first, no. There is no sin in driving to church on Sabbath. That is not "work". It is simply the way we travel to get to church nowadays, as opposed to them simply walking to church. Some also walk for living, like walking dogs. Is this now sin to walk? No.

Next, I am aware that actually cooking food on Sabbath would be sin. I therefore do cook my meals beforehand. Why? Because to prepare and cook a meal takes much time away from the Sabbath, especially to cook and prepare 3 meals. The emphasis is about work.

Next, the law is talking about the Levitical Priesthood, he is referring to THAT law. And nowhere will you find a mention of the 10 Commandments within that passage. What was the law that was changed? Hebrews 7:26 shows that we don't need a daily offer up a sacrifice as the old time priests. This is speaking of how the levitical priesthood is abolished because Jesus became the new High Priest, who shall be one forever and ever. He has the oath, which the other high priests did not, that He is a priest forever and ever after the order of Melchisedec.

Axehead said:
Jesus is not only the Lord of the Sabbath, but He has become our Sabbath everyday for "in Him we live and move and have our being" and that is not a one day a week exercise. The Queen of England cannot make such a claim of her subjects.

He is the King of Heaven and He is Heaven for Heaven is not Heaven without Jesus. England will still be England without the Queen.

The Bible says, "He is our peace, our righteousness, our salvation, our truth, our resting place". In short, He is our ALL in ALL even if you are laboring 7 days a week in prison or out of prison.

I believe you have clearly come out and said in this thread in many and sundry ways that those who follow Christ and don't "keep the sabbath" as you do on Saturday are disobedient Christians.

If you are so right about this, then what is that angry thing that keeps rising up inside of you? Why is there so much "fight" in you? Is that from the Lord?

Axehead
You, and many others, may interpret my absolute bluntness as anger. This is why I emphasize calling someone "dear" and saying "I mean no disrespect" in my posts sometimes. We are on a message board. I could post a picture of me giving all of you a big warm smile, but still continue to speak as I do, and you could still attempt to interpret it as, "You're so angry". No Axehad, I am not angry.

Again, Jesus has always been our righteousness, our Salvation, etc. Jesus also gives rest to the weary. But this refers to the burdens of life, whatever they may be that you or anyone else has carried on their shoulders before hand. This never dimished your requirement, or anyones requirement, to obey the Sabbath Day Commandment. Plenty of people have found rest with Christ and God in the OT and the NT. How does this diminish from obedience? God says take six days and work, but stop your secular labour upon my Holy Day, and come rest with me.

Jesus is heavenly. He is not the place we all hope to be in one day. Jesus's heavenly character, helps make heaven what is heaven. Jesus is not heaven. As I stated Jesus is Lord of the Sabbath. He is NOT the Sabbath. My Queen of England example still stands. She is the queen, and not england itself. Jesus is the Lord, and not the Sabbath itself. Again, I repeat, Him giving us rest does not all of a sudden mean "Hey forget to keep the seventh day holy as it is written". That is a pure contradiction of His character. He kept the commandments of God. He emphasizes those who keep the commandments are blessed. And again I emphasize looking at the commandment. Exodus 20:8-11 does not point to the cross, like all the other sabbath days did. It points back to creation. And I emphasize the fact that it exists within the eternal moral law (as it is the only commandment that specifies be holy), and not within the ceremonies. I also emphasize that it says REMEMBER THE SABBATH, no forget it as it is written down. And please don't take me out of context. I am not saying were holy only one day a week, and never again. This is simply the only commandment that emphasizes walking in only holy things (only holy, and not secular) and copying the character of the Creator God.

HeRoseFromTheDead

Not So Advanced Member
Jan 6, 2012
Raeneske said:
Okay first, no. There is no sin in driving to church on Sabbath. That is not "work". It is simply the way we travel to get to church nowadays, as opposed to them simply walking to church. Some also walk for living, like walking dogs. Is this now sin to walk? No.

Next, I am aware that actually cooking food on Sabbath would be sin. I therefore do cook my meals beforehand. Why? Because to prepare and cook a meal takes much time away from the Sabbath, especially to cook and prepare 3 meals. The emphasis is about work.

Next, the law is talking about the Levitical Priesthood, he is referring to THAT law. And nowhere will you find a mention of the 10 Commandments within that passage. What was the law that was changed? Hebrews 7:26 shows that we don't need a daily offer up a sacrifice as the old time priests. This is speaking of how the levitical priesthood is abolished because Jesus became the new High Priest, who shall be one forever and ever. He has the oath, which the other high priests did not, that He is a priest forever and ever after the order of Melchisedec.
You're exercising a rationalization of convenience by picking and choosing what you want to obey based on what suits your lifestyle.

The law of Moses is a whole. You can't pick and choose what parts of it you want to obey. It was bound to both the covenant and priesthood that have both passed away. It came into existence through the Levitical priesthood; Moses was a Levite. So replacement of that priesthood with another required a new law - the law of faith.

You can't hear because you stumble at the stumbling stone.

Raeneske

Sep 18, 2012
You're exercising a rationalization of convenience by picking and choosing what you want to obey based on what suits your lifestyle.

The law of Moses is a whole. You can't pick and choose what parts of it you want to obey. It was bound to both the covenant and priesthood that have both passed away. It came into existence through the Levitical priesthood; Moses was a Levite. So replacement of that priesthood with another required a new law - the law of faith.

You can't hear because you stumble at the stumbling stone.
First, I have not been keeping Sabbath my entire life. I state this because of your comment on what's convenient. All my life I have been used to working 7 days. No, not a job, I've never had one. But between schoolwork and training for sports etc, it was a 7 day thing. Upon finding out the Sabbath, I have realized many things. I have one day less in which I can get my work done. This encourages me to be more diligent and less slothful. I also have lost the day of which I performed at track meets. Do you want to talk more about convenience my friend? But no, I am not complaining. I am simply explaining, because to be honest with you, I'm happier than I was before. I am with my Creator for one full day. Yes, I am with Him everyday, but the Sabbath Day is a blessing. I read more, I pray more, I study more. This truth has been a blessing to behold.

Next, picking and choosing. The 10 Commandments are part of the eternal moral law. All of Gods laws are based off of that law. It is the foundation. Simply because Moses spoke or something, or because Moses handled it, does not immediatly make it the law of Moses. It is the Law of God, the eternal 10 Commandments. Every other point in there is eternal. So why isn't the fourth one? Convenience.

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Raeneske said:
First, I have not been keeping Sabbath my entire life. I state this because of your comment on what's convenient. All my life I have been used to working 7 days. No, not a job, I've never had one. But between schoolwork and training for sports etc, it was a 7 day thing. Upon finding out the Sabbath, I have realized many things. I have one day less in which I can get my work done. This encourages me to be more diligent and less slothful. I also have lost the day of which I performed at track meets. Do you want to talk more about convenience my friend? But no, I am not complaining. I am simply explaining, because to be honest with you, I'm happier than I was before. I am with my Creator for one full day. Yes, I am with Him everyday, but the Sabbath Day is a blessing. I read more, I pray more, I study more. This truth has been a blessing to behold.

Next, picking and choosing. The 10 Commandments are part of the eternal moral law. All of Gods laws are based off of that law. It is the foundation. Simply because Moses spoke or something, or because Moses handled it, does not immediatly make it the law of Moses. It is the Law of God, the eternal 10 Commandments. Every other point in there is eternal. So why isn't the fourth one? Convenience.

But one who seeks to fulfill a law of God according to the flesh is avoiding doing the commandment perfectly through the Spirit.

sabbath keeping, along with circumcision in the flesh and kosher eating..etc.. are works of the law. These are condemned by Paul as sidetracking the true faith in Christ. However if you want to observe one day over the other...do so...but never teach others to. Don't teach works of the law for righteousness.

Axehead

May 9, 2012
Raeneske,

You don't have enough life's experience (marriage, family, work) to really understand why Jesus is our Sabbath rest. Your "rules" will continue to evolve as your situations in life change.

Who are you to say what is work or what is not work on the Sabbath? Your rules disagree with the Bible's rules.

Have you no understanding that those who have experienced the new birth in Christ there is no such thing as "secular" work anymore. We take Jesus everywhere we go and our entire life is a ministry unto Him, our reasonable service of worship. (Romans 12:1).

Whatsoever ye do, ye do unto the Lord not unto man.

When did you receive the Spirit of God and how did you receive it? By faith or by works?

HeRoseFromTheDead

Not So Advanced Member
Jan 6, 2012
Raeneske said:
All of GOD's laws are based on Christ, not the 10 commandments; the law through Moses was just a shadow that has passed away. The new foundation is the law of faith based on the new covenant made with the 12 apostles, of which we partake through faith.

I think that's great that you take a day off. To work all of the time is unhealthy, physically and spiritually. Hopefully, you'll recognize at some point that it is something you choose to do for whatever reason(s), and not something that is required to please GOD. Faith pleases GOD.

For one person prefers [one] day over [another] day, and another person regards every day [alike]. Each one must be fully convinced in his own mind. The one who is intent on the day is intent on [it] for the Lord, and the one who eats eats for the Lord, because he is thankful to God, and the one who does not eat does not eat for the Lord, and he is thankful to God. Romans 14:5-6

Raeneske

Sep 18, 2012
Episkopos said:
But one who seeks to fulfill a law of God according to the flesh is avoiding doing the commandment perfectly through the Spirit.

sabbath keeping, along with circumcision in the flesh and kosher eating..etc.. are works of the law. These are condemned by Paul as sidetracking the true faith in Christ. However if you want to observe one day over the other...do so...but never teach others to. Don't teach works of the law for righteousness.
Those who do seek the keep the law through the flesh, do miss the Spirit. I don't disagree with that. What I disagree with, is claiming to keep the law through the Spirit, but you are blatantly disregarding the seventh day. When you are prompted to keep a law through the Spirit, you will clearly be keeping the letter of the law. For example, when the LORD blesses you with the ability to love your brethren, that you hate them not in your heart, you obviously will not be going around and murdering people as well. It is such with every commandment. But when you get to commandment number four, all of a sudden it doesn't become something out of love, but a work one is seeking to do to get saved. No one is teaching that righteousness comes from keeping the Sabbath. We are simply stating the necessity of obedience to this commandment, much like any other commandment. It is Christ our righteousness. We obey simply because we love Him, because we have His Spirit. Not to get saved, but because we are saved.

HeRoseFromTheDead

Not So Advanced Member
Jan 6, 2012
The law of Christ is so much higher than the 10 commandments. Instead of do not kill, it's now, do not hate. Instead of do not steal, give. Instead of do not commit adultery, do not even have impure thoughts about someone; instead of don't work on the sabbath, rest in the finished work of Christ and do not do the works of the flesh. The 10 commandments were just a shadow pointing to a pure heart that only comes through faith.

Raeneske

Sep 18, 2012
Axehead said:
Raeneske,

You don't have enough life's experience (marriage, family, work) to really understand why Jesus is our Sabbath rest. Your "rules" will continue to evolve as your situations in life change.

Who are you to say what is work or what is not work on the Sabbath? Your rules disagree with the Bible's rules.

Have you no understanding that those who have experienced the new birth in Christ there is no such thing as "secular" work anymore. We take Jesus everywhere we go and our entire life is a ministry unto Him, our reasonable service of worship. (Romans 12:1).

Whatsoever ye do, ye do unto the Lord not unto man.

When did you receive the Spirit of God and how did you receive it? By faith or by works?
What on earth would my age have to do with my understanding of the Word? There are babes in Christ that would blow theologians out of the water by simple truth. Because that's all it is, is simple truth. Truth does not carry contradictions. Men's words do. They claim to keep the Sabbath, whether they claim it can be any day, or whether they claim Jesus is the Sabbath, all of it contains the same exact contradiction. They absolutely refuse to Remember the Sabbath Day, to keep Holy the Seventh Day. No matter their reasons, it is all the same. They will agree that keeping the other commandments literally is okay. They will even state the necessity of spiritually keeping the law. But when they get to the only one that emphasizes to remember it, they pull every Scripture that they can think of out of context, to state they don't have to remember to keep the seventh day holy. Whether taking the moral commandment themselves and putting it with the ceremonial law, or claiming that Jesus came thus they have no need of obedience to this law, it is all the same. It is a blatant contradiction. Truth does not contradict. Simply the men's sayings that claim to keep the law, when anyone can read the law and see that they blatantly are not keeping it.

No, what I understand does not break the rules of the Sabbath.

What you stated about there being no secular work is purely a lie. Everything you do is not holy. Yes, you may glorify the LORD in many ways, like working diligently at your job, showing how you are a meek one. But here is the question. Is your job secular labour or is it spiritual? Is it business work, or is it something Holy? Are you working specifically with something Holy? No, you are not. As a matter of fact, you will find nowhere within the Scriptures that state there is no "secular" work.

I understand, whatsoever you do, do unto the LORD. But this does not mean that all of a sudden there is no such thing as secular work. It simply means the LORD can be glorified at your job. That you should not squander your time, you are bought with a price.

Axehead, I am reluctant to answer this question. Because we have been down this path multiple times. I have made it clear that I believe faith saves. The only difference is, when you believe that we only have 9 of the moral law to keep (literally), I believe keeping all 10 (literally). We both know that acts of obedience doesn't save a soul. It is simply the fruit of a soul. You know that refusing the murder and hate is an act of love from the Christian of obedience. The same logic is applied to the other commandments. Yet when we get to Commandment number 4, you and I see differently.

The law of Christ is so much higher than the 10 commandments. Instead of do not kill, it's now, do not hate. Instead of do not steal, give. Instead of do not commit adultery, do not even have impure thoughts about someone; instead of don't work on the sabbath, rest in the finished work of Christ and do not do the works of the flesh. The 10 commandments were just a shadow pointing to a pure heart that only comes through faith.
It is not "instead" but, "I say unto you, do this ...". In other words, we obey the law quite literally, by not literally murdering. But we also obey spiritually by not hating within our hearts. That same logic flows to all the other commandments. Yet #4 is still the only one contradicted. It is the only one that is taken to mean "forget" and not "remember", the only one that gets stuck with the ceremonial law, the only one that is claimed to not have to be kept. It is all contradictory of what is written, and no amount of twisting the Scriptures can wrest the 4th Commandment from it's proper place within the Eternal Moral 10 Commandment Law.

Revelation 14:12.

All of GOD's laws are based on Christ, not the 10 commandments; the law through Moses was just a shadow that has passed away. The new foundation is the law of faith based on the new covenant made with the 12 apostles, of which we partake through faith.

I think that's great that you take a day off. To work all of the time is unhealthy, physically and spiritually. Hopefully, you'll recognize at some point that it is something you choose to do for whatever reason(s), and not something that is required to please GOD. Faith pleases GOD.

For one person prefers [one] day over [another] day, and another person regards every day [alike]. Each one must be fully convinced in his own mind. The one who is intent on the day is intent on [it] for the Lord, and the one who eats eats for the Lord, because he is thankful to God, and the one who does not eat does not eat for the Lord, and he is thankful to God. Romans 14:5-6
Romans 14:1 Starts of speaking of doubtful disputations. Keeping the Law of God is not a doubtful disputation. Doubtful, is something that he speaks of which one must be fully convinced in their own mind. Never was the law of God considered 'doubtful' until these very last days. Obedience was always a staple. But that's of course what shall happen in these last days. Who are those who do not get the Mark of the Beast? They are mentioned in Revelation 14:12, right after those who DO receive the Mark of the Beast receive.

The foundation of God's government is based off the 10 Commandments, which are also found in Heaven (revelation 11:19). These commandments are a perfect transcript of the character of God, when rightfully understood. This is why we obey these commandments, because we keep His image, completely. So no, these 10 Commandments are not a shadow. They are eternal because we shall obey every single one of these throughout all eternity.

HeRoseFromTheDead

Not So Advanced Member
Jan 6, 2012
Christ brought in a new law with new commandments when he said, 'Moses said this, but I say to you...' When that those commandments are obeyed, the righteousness required by the 10 is met.

Axehead

May 9, 2012
Raeneske said:
What on earth would my age have to do with my understanding of the Word? There are babes in Christ that would blow theologians out of the water by simple truth. Because that's all it is, is simple truth. Truth does not carry contradictions. Men's words do. They claim to keep the Sabbath, whether they claim it can be any day, or whether they claim Jesus is the Sabbath, all of it contains the same exact contradiction. They absolutely refuse to Remember the Sabbath Day, to keep Holy the Seventh Day. No matter their reasons, it is all the same. They will agree that keeping the other commandments literally is okay. They will even state the necessity of spiritually keeping the law. But when they get to the only one that emphasizes to remember it, they pull every Scripture that they can think of out of context, to state they don't have to remember to keep the seventh day holy. Whether taking the moral commandment themselves and putting it with the ceremonial law, or claiming that Jesus came thus they have no need of obedience to this law, it is all the same. It is a blatant contradiction. Truth does not contradict. Simply the men's sayings that claim to keep the law, when anyone can read the law and see that they blatantly are not keeping it.

No, what I understand does not break the rules of the Sabbath.

What you stated about there being no secular work is purely a lie. Everything you do is not holy. Yes, you may glorify the LORD in many ways, like working diligently at your job, showing how you are a meek one. But here is the question. Is your job secular labour or is it spiritual? Is it business work, or is it something Holy? Are you working specifically with something Holy? No, you are not. As a matter of fact, you will find nowhere within the Scriptures that state there is no "secular" work.

I understand, whatsoever you do, do unto the LORD. But this does not mean that all of a sudden there is no such thing as secular work. It simply means the LORD can be glorified at your job. That you should not squander your time, you are bought with a price.

Axehead, I am reluctant to answer this question. Because we have been down this path multiple times. I have made it clear that I believe faith saves. The only difference is, when you believe that we only have 9 of the moral law to keep (literally), I believe keeping all 10 (literally). We both know that acts of obedience doesn't save a soul. It is simply the fruit of a soul. You know that refusing the murder and hate is an act of love from the Christian of obedience. The same logic is applied to the other commandments. Yet when we get to Commandment number 4, you and I see differently.

It is not "instead" but, "I say unto you, do this ...". In other words, we obey the law quite literally, by not literally murdering. But we also obey spiritually by not hating within our hearts. That same logic flows to all the other commandments. Yet #4 is still the only one contradicted. It is the only one that is taken to mean "forget" and not "remember", the only one that gets stuck with the ceremonial law, the only one that is claimed to not have to be kept. It is all contradictory of what is written, and no amount of twisting the Scriptures can wrest the 4th Commandment from it's proper place within the Eternal Moral 10 Commandment Law.

Revelation 14:12.

Romans 14:1 Starts of speaking of doubtful disputations. Keeping the Law of God is not a doubtful disputation. Doubtful, is something that he speaks of which one must be fully convinced in their own mind. Never was the law of God considered 'doubtful' until these very last days. Obedience was always a staple. But that's of course what shall happen in these last days. Who are those who do not get the Mark of the Beast? They are mentioned in Revelation 14:12, right after those who DO receive the Mark of the Beast receive.

The foundation of God's government is based off the 10 Commandments, which are also found in Heaven (revelation 11:19). These commandments are a perfect transcript of the character of God, when rightfully understood. This is why we obey these commandments, because we keep His image, completely. So no, these 10 Commandments are not a shadow. They are eternal because we shall obey every single one of these throughout all eternity.
There are 4 things men need to be effective workers for Christ. Vision from the Lord as to what the Church is (not another man's vision), Experience, Time and the Work of the Cross in their life. 3 of these take time.

I sense from your posts that you are lacking in all 4. Do you have a vision for the Body of Christ (from the Lord)?

If you don't think this is true, study Paul the Apostle's life.

Raeneske

Sep 18, 2012
Axehead said:
There are 4 things men need to be effective workers for Christ. Vision from the Lord as to what the Church is (not another man's vision), Experience, Time and the Work of the Cross in their life. 3 of these take time.

I sense from your posts that you are lacking in all 4. Do you have a vision for the Body of Christ (from the Lord)?

If you don't think this is true, study Paul the Apostle's life.

Why has my age, experience, and my character become the topic of the posts? If you feel the need to share such things, then you may PM me. From this point on, please remain on the topic at hand.

Christ brought in a new law with new commandments when he said, 'Moses said this, but I say to you...' When that those commandments are obeyed, the righteousness required by the 10 is met.
No, Christ glorified the law, as promised as what was promised about Him. (as per Isaiah 42:21). It also speaks of those who were disobedient to that law as per verse 24. With carnal eyesight men cannot see passed the letter of thou shalt not kill. But with spiritual eyesight they can see Christ taught to love people, and not hate them. He didn't lessen the obligation of the Commandment. He simply made it more understood. The foundation, the perfect transcript of His Character, when rightly understood, is a blessing to many Christians. The truth existed in the old times. Leviticus 19:17 speaks of hatred within the heart. Yet no man was ever saved by that law. The just shall live by faith.

And they that have true faith do not believe they may abandon the law of God's government.

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Gal 2:14 But when I saw that they walked not uprightly according to the truth of the gospel, I said unto Peter before them all, If thou, being a Jew, livest after the manner of Gentiles, and not as do the Jews, why compellest thou the Gentiles to live as do the Jews?

Rom 9:30 What shall we say then? That the Gentiles, which followed not after righteousness, have attained to righteousness, even the righteousness which is of faith.
Rom 9:31 But Israel, which followed after the law of righteousness, hath not attained to the law of righteousness.
Rom 9:32 Wherefore? Because they sought it not by faith, but as it were by the works of the law. For they stumbled at that stumblingstone;
Rom 9:33 As it is written, Behold, I lay in Sion a stumblingstone and rock of offence: and whosoever believeth on him shall not be ashamed.

Come to me as little children, but christans are too grown up in there eyes to accept the simplicity of Christ. But you are getting there. Sad thing is to keep the Sabbath you actually have to brake the law for to keep the sabbath is a work as you are required to wok at keeping it. Its a contradiction. That is why we are free in Christ. No one is obligated to keep the sabbath, it is not pleasing to God though it may please the flesh. It is either " thank you Jesus for all you did", or " look at me God and see what I am doing"

In all His Love

Status
Not open for further replies.