Why Do People Lose Their Religion?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

This Vale Of Tears

Indian Papist
Jun 13, 2013
Idaho
(originally posted by saintmichaeldefendthem [me])

Matthew 24:12
And because lawlessness will abound, the love of many will grow cold.

I'm seeing it everywhere in people I talk to. If anyone is over 40 years old, they'll talk about how they were "raised Christian" but have grown past it and adopted a philosophy that allows them to look down at the whole faith thing with disinterest. When they were twenty something, they were in the streets handing out pamphlets, on a mission in a foreign country, reading their Bible daily and fellowshipping several times a week.

But what causes people to become embittered and jaded over time, losing the zeal that once put a fire in their belly?

Taking myself for instance, I believe just as strongly as before, maybe even more so today. My roots have grown deep and nothing can dislodge me from my sure belief in Christ and his holy Church. But I don't pray as much, read the Bible as much, volunteer at missions, and work actively to lead people to Christ. I've somewhat cooled as well, not to the degree that I've stopped trying, like the people I'm talking about, but to a degree that I can sympathize with those who experience a little slack in their sails as they grow older.

But why and does it have to be so?

JB_Reformed Baptist

Many are called but few are chosen.
Feb 23, 2013
AUSTRALIA
This Vale Of Tears said:

I'm seeing it everywhere in people I talk to. If anyone is over 40 years old, they'll talk about how they were "raised Christian" but have grown past it and adopted a philosophy that allows them to look down at the whole faith thing with disinterest. When they were twenty something, they were in the streets handing out pamphlets, on a mission in a foreign country, reading their Bible daily and fellowshipping several times a week.

But what causes people to become embittered and jaded over time, losing the zeal that once put a fire in their belly?

Taking myself for instance, I believe just as strongly as before, maybe even more so today. My roots have grown deep and nothing can dislodge me from my sure belief in Christ and his holy Church. But I don't pray as much, read the Bible as much, volunteer at missions, and work actively to lead people to Christ. I've somewhat cooled as well, not to the degree that I've stopped trying, like the people I'm talking about, but to a degree that I can sympathize with those who experience a little slack in their sails as they grow older.

I assume you're talking to the ecumanists.

Dodo_David

Melmacian in human guise
Jul 13, 2013
1 John 2:19 says the following: "They went out from us, but they did not really belong to us. For if they had belonged to us, they would have remained with us; but their going showed that none of them belonged to us."

This Vale Of Tears

Indian Papist
Jun 13, 2013
Idaho
Dodo_David said:
1 John 2:19 says the following: "They went out from us, but they did not really belong to us. For if they had belonged to us, they would have remained with us; but their going showed that none of them belonged to us."
I don't think that's very relevant to what I'm discussing here.

Rex

Oct 17, 2012
Kingman AZ
Why Do People Lose Their Religion?
Because that is where there faith is based.
At the first gust of wind their tent folds up like a cheep umbrella

Dodo_David

Melmacian in human guise
Jul 13, 2013
Dodo_David said:
I don't think that's very relevant to what I'm discussing here.
Perhaps it isn't. My mistake.

This Vale Of Tears

Indian Papist
Jun 13, 2013
Idaho
Dodo_David said:
Perhaps it isn't. My mistake.
After the crucifixion of Jesus, Peter fell back on his established trade and routine. He went back to the boats and began fishing. This was before he realized that Jesus had indeed risen as prophesied. How many of us go back to fishing and forget the fire that once spurred us to something greater than a quotidian life?

Selene

Apr 12, 2010
In my house
This Vale Of Tears said:

With me, it was the opposite. I've always taken for granted my own faith until I met a convert who came to Guam. He discovered on his own (most likely guided by the Holy Spirit) what I have always taken for granted. His enthusiam and zeal over our faith was something I didn't quite understand, but I paid attention. So, I started learning more about my faith.

Today, I give God an hour every day in prayer. I go to Church every day (except on Thursday because Father doesn't have Mass on Thursday). I volunteered to be a Minister of the word (Lector), and Father recruited me to take charge of the CCD program. I only wanted to teach CCD......not take charge of it, but apparently God had other plans. I also go out to evangelize, but I do this only after Easter. I am also a member of an anti-abortion organization whose goal is to reduce the number of abortions through legislation.

Dodo_David

Melmacian in human guise
Jul 13, 2013
This Vale Of Tears said:
After the crucifixion of Jesus, Peter fell back on his established trade and routine. He went back to the boats and began fishing. This was before he realized that Jesus had indeed risen as prophesied. How many of us go back to fishing and forget the fire that once spurred us to something greater than a quotidian life?
So, it is not a case of one losing one's religion. Instead, it is a case of one not being as zealous as one used to be.

The last time that I checked, "zeal" is not in the Apostle Paul's list of the fruit of the Holy Spirit ( Galatians 5:22-23 ).

Therefore, my Brother, I suggest that you not condemn yourself for not feeling zeal or for not going through the motions, for the Apostle Paul says in Ephesians 2:8-9,"For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God— not by works, so that no one can boast."

Sure, as we get older, we may not habitually perform the same religious tasks that we did when we were younger, but whenever we enter a new stage in life, our work in God's kingdom can also change. Instead of looking behind, look forward.

Reactions: jiggyfly

This Vale Of Tears

Indian Papist
Jun 13, 2013
Idaho
Selene said:
With me, it was the opposite. I've always taken for granted my own faith until I met a convert who came to Guam. He discovered on his own (most likely guided by the Holy Spirit) what I have always taken for granted. So, I started learning more about my faith.

Today, I give God an hour every day in prayer. I go to Church every day (except on Thursday because Father doesn't have Mass on Thursday). I volunteered to be a Minister of the word (Lector), and Father recruited me to take charge of the CCD program. I only wanted to teach CCD......not take charge of it, but apparently God had other plans. I also go out to evangelize, but I do this only after Easter. I am also a member of an anti-abortion organization whose goal is to reduce the number of abortions through legislation.
You are in the place I would like to be. As a truck driver, it's more difficult to live the devout life, but I miss it. My wife says she is devout enough for both of us LOL. I do try to pray the Rosary in my truck (there's an app for that too) but I feel so disconnected sometimes to the point I (embarrassingly) say, "Shoot! Lent just started last Tuesday!" Reminded so because over Skype, my 9 year old asked me what I gave up. The few times I can make it to holy mass, I pray for strength for the journey, reminded of the story of Elijah being given a meal by angels and surviving on that meal for 40 days. I do feel the sustaining power of the Eucharist for however long it takes.

I really miss the devout life and I hope I don't have to drive too much longer. I'm just missing too much.

Dodo_David said:
So, it is not a case of one losing one's religion. Instead, it is a case of one not being as zealous as one used to be.

The last time that I checked, "zeal" is not in the Apostle Paul's list of the fruit of the Holy Spirit ( Galatians 5:22-23 ).

Therefore, my Brother, I suggest that you not condemn yourself for not feeling zeal or for not going through the motions, for the Apostle Paul says in Ephesians 2:8-9,"For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God— not by works, so that no one can boast."

Sure, as we get older, we may not habitually perform the same religious tasks that we did when we were younger, but whenever we enter a new stage in life, our work in God's kingdom can also change. Instead of looking behind, look forward.
Actually, it's both. I'm not just talking about a less than afterburner faith, I'm talking about people I run into who have been unchurched for quite some time and have philosophized away their simple Christian faith. They've grown cold, something I refuse to ever let happen to me. I wonder what causes this and how it can be fixed.

Rex

Oct 17, 2012
Kingman AZ
Dodo_David said:

Very good
Proverbs 19:2

Dodo_David

Melmacian in human guise
Jul 13, 2013
I'm not just talking about a less than afterburner faith, I'm talking about people I run into who have been unchurched for quite some time and have philosophized away their simple Christian faith. They've grown cold, something I refuse to ever let happen to me. I wonder what causes this and how it can be fixed.
I would say that it takes the Holy Spirit to turn people's hearts back to the Savior. Meanwhile, we can nurture such people by demonstrating to them the grace of God.

Rex

Oct 17, 2012
Kingman AZ
This Vale Of Tears said:
Actually, it's both. I'm not just talking about a less than afterburner faith, I'm talking about people I run into who have been unchurched for quite some time and have philosophized away their simple Christian faith. They've grown cold, something I refuse to ever let happen to me. I wonder what causes this and how it can be fixed.
And their lies the problem, they have never experienced Jer 31:31-34
Don't get me completely wrong because there is a value in listening to others, but it's never going to save you. And without it your never going to able to discern the wheat from the BS
If you get my drift.

This Vale Of Tears

Indian Papist
Jun 13, 2013
Idaho
Rex said:
And their lies the problem, they have never experienced Jer 31:31-34
Don't get me completely wrong because there is a value in listening to others, but it's never going to save you. And without it your never going to able to discern the wheat from the BS
If you get my drift.
Quite often I hear from these people a belief that one does not need to go to church to be a good Christian. I could quote Hebrews 10:25 to them, but it misses the point. They don't go to church, feel guilty, and assuage that guilt by mitigating the importance of going to church. It isn't an issue of doctrine, it's an issue of rationalizing one's neglect of their faith.

Rex

Oct 17, 2012
Kingman AZ
This Vale Of Tears said:
Quite often I hear from these people a belief that one does not need to go to church to be a good Christian. I could quote Hebrews 10:25 to them, but it misses the point. They don't go to church, feel guilty, and assuage that guilt by mitigating the importance of going to church. It isn't an issue of doctrine, it's an issue of rationalizing one's neglect of their faith.
It is an issue of doctrine there is very little food to found in the churches today.

Reactions: day

Dodo_David

Melmacian in human guise
Jul 13, 2013
This Vale Of Tears said:
Hebrews 10:24-25 says, "And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds, not giving up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but encouraging one another—and all the more as you see the Day approaching."

If Christians cannot meet together face-to-face, then they can use modern communication technology to do so. The purpose of meeting together is to "spur one another on toward love and good deeds", to encourage one another. However, a person has to want to meet with other Christians.

For example, a Christian OTR truck driver may not be able to meet at a church building, but the person can still meet by using a website such as this one. Such a person can still exhibit God's grace to others no matter where that person is. We are to act out our faith wherever God has placed us.

Sure, we are blessed when we meet together face to face, and doing so is the best way to meet. However, our inability to do so doesn't prevent God from using us. It doesn't prevent us from being a light to the world.

Reactions: day

This Vale Of Tears

Indian Papist
Jun 13, 2013
Idaho
Dodo_David said:
Hebrews 10:24-25 says, "And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds, not giving up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but encouraging one another—and all the more as you see the Day approaching."

If Christians cannot meet together face-to-face, then they can use modern communication technology to do so. The purpose of meeting together is to "spur one another on toward love and good deeds", to encourage one another. However, a person has to want to meet with other Christians.

For example, a Christian OTR truck driver may not be able to meet at a church building, but the person can still meet by using a website such as this one. Such a person can still exhibit God's grace to others no matter where that person is. We are to act out our faith wherever God has placed us.

Sure, we are blessed when we meet together face to face, and doing so is the best way to meet. However, our inability to do so doesn't prevent God from using us. It doesn't prevent us from being a light to the world.
Fellowship is great and I certainly participate on forums like this for that reason, but as a Catholic, there is no substitute for a physical encounter with the risen body of Christ vis a vis the Eucharist. It's a corporal interaction that can't be duplicated online. But that's for us Catholics. Regarding Christians in general, they aren't meeting together because they don't want to, whether in a brick and mortar building or otherwise. Drifting away from God runs concurrent to drifting away from other Christians because our relationship to God is both personal and corporate. I am keen in identifying the problem but impoverished on solutions.

JB_Reformed Baptist

Many are called but few are chosen.
Feb 23, 2013
AUSTRALIA
Let it be known. No One ever "loses their religion". It merely metamorphosis into something(whatever) or someone(self etc) else that took their eye. Idolatry is idolatry no matter how you wrap it.

Suhar

Mar 28, 2013
Western WA
[SIZE=medium]Because Christianity is not a religion. Christianity did not save one person but Jesus saved many. Christianity is not a religion that saves, it only guides to Savior.[/SIZE]