Why do so many Christians vehemently disagree?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That may be so, but that was certainly not according to the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit. The New Testament is perfectly clear that there must be unity of the Spirit and the bond of peace among all Christians.

The problem today is that the unity being promoted is false. Unless there is agreement on the fundamentals of the Christian faith, there can be no unity. So those who are in error must be willing to repent of their erroneous beliefs. And as is evident on this (and other Christian forums, as well as in Christendom in general), those who hold to false teachings invariably double down on their delusions. In fact they fight tooth and nail to hang on to what is totally unscriptural.

I absolutely agree on all accounts. One thing I would add is that some of the controversies or problems were overall part of God's plan, as was the solutions. Keeping in mind that all things work together for good for them that love God, had the Corinthians not misbehaved like they did, 2 Epistles would not have been written, or at least one of them.

You of course, realize the problem with all believing the fundamentals... I agree with you of course, but the problem is not many will say they don't. In other words, everyone believes they are right.

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
Perhaps if we didn't search out hundreds of negative things to post, declaring them as "FACTS", we wouldn't incite argument?
Perhaps if we didn't search out hundreds of negative things to post, declaring them as "FACTS", we wouldn't incite argument?
("Crosseyed and Painless")
Lost my shape
Trying to act casual!
Can't stop
I might end up in the hospital
I'm changing my shape
I feel like an accident
They're back!
To explain their experience
Isn't it weir
Looks too obscure to me
Wasting away
And that was their policy
I'm ready to leave
I push the fact in front of me
Facts lost
Facts are never what they seem to be
Nothing there!
No information left of any kind
Lifting my head
Looking for danger signs
There was a line
There was a formula
Sharp as a knife
Facts cut a hole in us
There was a line
There was a formula
Sharp as a knife
Facts cut a hole in us
I'm still waiting...I'm still waiting...I'm still waiting...
I'm still waiting...I'm still waiting...I'm still waiting...
I'm still waiting...I'm still waiting...
The feeling returns
Whenever we close out eyes
Lifting my head
looking around inside
The island of doubt
It's like the taste of medicine
Working by hindsight
Got the message from the oxygen
Making a list
Find the cost of opportunity
Doing it right
Facts are useless in emergencies
The feeling returns
Whenever we close out eyes
Lifting my head
Looking around inside.
Facts are simple and facts are straight
Facts are lazy and facts are late
Facts all come with points of view
Facts don't do what I want them to
Facts just twist the truth around
Facts are living turned inside out
Facts are getting the best of them
Facts are nothing on the face of things
Facts don't stain the furniture
Facts go out and slam the door
Facts are written all over your face
Facts continue to change their shape

Soverign Grace

Sep 15, 2018
Palmyra
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Satan character is Screwtape and Wormwood his disciple who is being taught to disrupt. It is still in print. It's quite an eye opener with lots of recognisable scenarios. My copy is very old and brown with small print so I might get a new copy and read it again.

I'd like to read it - our library gets books in through our inter-library loan program. I do think that Satan's most concentrated efforts are in the body of believers as well as whenever saints begin to grow. It's happened to me like clockwork - yet I usually don't recognize it until afterwards - he uses various people - and they don't even know why or that they're being used.

OzSpen

Mar 30, 2015
Brisbane, Qld., Australia
spencer.gear.dyndns.org
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I've been in churches that have broken up and those that have remained stable. Yet one theme I see constantly running through churches and Christian forums are Christians who vehemently disagree - about Scripture, about prophecy, about whether we're to act or be passive, and about the color of the moon.

I know that not all have the Holy Spirit and that there are false brethren. But why so much disagreement among professing believers?

I'm curious to know others' beliefs about this.

What about the spelling of Soverign? :confused:

Soverign Grace

Sep 15, 2018
Palmyra
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I get the feeling that some people think everything was fine and dandy between the Apostles and other Christian leaders, as well in the individual Churches themselves, but that is not the case. Two Epistles were written because there was dissention in the Churches (1 Corinthians and Galatians). There was also the council at Jerusalem.

There were personal flair ups as well between Paul and Peter as well as Paul and Mark and Barnabas. It is also mentioned that Titus left Paul, at least for a while. Not saying they were enemies and most of it was handled. It was however there.

Josephus was a Jewish historian and spoke very little of Christian history. When you read some of the early church father's such as Tertillian (sp?) and Augustine you see them combating what they called heresies in the Church. One of my favorite books as a much easier read is by William J. Bennett called Tried by Fire. It details alot of problems the Church had in the first 1000 years, and not all of it was external.

I've read all the verses but never really gave much thought to the conflicts between the churches and apostles. I sometimes wish the Bible spelled things out more clearly - but I guess God had a reason for it.

I'm glad you shared that - one of the reasons I like coming on here is to learn the wisdom that others have distilled through what they read and learn and the points they make help me understand everything more. It's funny - an old saint taught us bible study one time and what she taught still comes back to me at various times and I'm grateful for the wisdom that she had.

Reactions: FHII

Soverign Grace

Sep 15, 2018
Palmyra
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What about the spelling of Soverign? :confused:

When I joined, as I typed quickly - and carelessly - which I do when I work fast - I didn't hit the 'i' - and then was stuck with it because I tried to change it and couldn't. Then someone else came on and took the correct spelling so I got stuck with an incorrect spelling.

Soverign Grace

Sep 15, 2018
Palmyra
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I do appreciate and use the KJV, but I'm not strictly KJV-Only.

I don't even know where my non-KJV is anymore. I'm not saying I'm on the right track - I don't know; it was something that developed this past year - I wanted to really get to the pure Word and not someone's interpretation. I guess it would help if one knew the original language and then you'd really get to see if it's accurate but that wasn't afforded to me so for now I'm using the KJV.

Josho

Millennial Christian
Staff member
Jul 19, 2015
The Land of Aus
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I've been in churches that have broken up and those that have remained stable. Yet one theme I see constantly running through churches and Christian forums are Christians who vehemently disagree - about Scripture, about prophecy, about whether we're to act or be passive, and about the color of the moon.

I know that not all have the Holy Spirit and that there are false brethren. But why so much disagreement among professing believers?

I'm curious to know others' beliefs about this.

3 words come to mind

"Flesh Vs Spirit"

Willie T

Heaven Sent
Staff member
Sep 14, 2017
St. Petersburg Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
When I joined, as I typed quickly - and carelessly - which I do when I work fast - I didn't hit the 'i' - and then was stuck with it because I tried to change it and couldn't. Then someone else came on and took the correct spelling so I got stuck with an incorrect spelling.
I think we all already figured that out, and Oz probably really didn't mean anything derogatory by mentioning it. Humor is sometime difficult to convey in a post.

Reactions: Soverign Grace

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I'd like to read it - our library gets books in through our inter-library loan program. I do think that Satan's most concentrated efforts are in the body of believers as well as whenever saints begin to grow. It's happened to me like clockwork - yet I usually don't recognize it until afterwards - he uses various people - and they don't even know why or that they're being used.
I have found from my own experience and that of other Christians, when we are strong the enemy often attacks through our families.

Willie T

Heaven Sent
Staff member
Sep 14, 2017
St. Petersburg Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don't even know where my non-KJV is anymore. I'm not saying I'm on the right track - I don't know; it was something that developed this past year - I wanted to really get to the pure Word and not someone's interpretation. I guess it would help if one knew the original language and then you'd really get to see if it's accurate but that wasn't afforded to me so for now I'm using the KJV.
Having spent my childhood reading no other Bible but The KJV has been a boon to me in one respect. It would be almost impossible for me to fluently and smoothly read and easily understand Old English (Elizabethan-style writing) such as the original writings of John Calvin, if it were not for those years of reading things in the KJV that are often counter to the structure of Modern English. (It also helped with wading through Shakespeare in High School.)

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I guess it would help if one knew the original language and then you'd really get to see if it's accurate but that wasn't afforded to me so for now I'm using the KJV.
As a matter of fact you will find that the King James Bible has faithfully translated the texts, and separated inserted words from the words in the text through the use of italics. In fact they transliterated the Greek equivalent of Hebrew names rather than translating them e.g. Esaias (Ἠσαΐας) for Isaiah (which was not such a good idea).

As for knowing the original languages, Strong's and the lexicons on Bible Hub will give you sufficient insight into any problematic issues. But Bible language is generally simple and straightforward, and Bible language is not exactly the same as the language spoken and written at that time. Compare "The Translators to the Reader" (original preface to the KJV) with the language within the Bible.

Heavenbound

Oct 26, 2019
Nj
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
For the simply reason that Satan is actively at work sowing (a)seeds of spiritual confusion, (b) false doctrines, (c) false practices, and (d) the works of the flesh (carnality) (Gal 5:19-21).

Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are these;
Adultery,
fornication,
uncleanness,
lasciviousness,

Idolatry,
witchcraft,
hatred,
variance,
emulations,
wrath,
strife,
seditions,
heresies,
Envyings,
murders,
drunkenness,
revellings, and such like:
...of the which I tell you before, as I have also told
you in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God.
Belial does his work and many don’t see it under their nose

Reactions: Soverign Grace

Heavenbound

Oct 26, 2019
Nj
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I would add that it seems that so many Christians have not been taught to identify the flesh (sin nature) when it's at work. We are to count the flesh as crucified, but how can we do this if we don't understand it?

Also, Christians need to be taught to walk by the Spirit (i.e. submit to the Holy Spirit's working in our daily lives) so that His fruit can be developed in us. If all Christians were to walk by the Spirit and not the flesh, there would be no dissensions in the body of Christ. This is something we can learn to do as we grow in Him through the process of sanctification.

Galatians 5:15-- So I say, walk by the Spirit, and you will not gratify the desires of the flesh.
Insight of yours should stay with all

Reactions: Prayer Warrior

Soverign Grace

Sep 15, 2018
Palmyra
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have found from my own experience and that of other Christians, when we are strong the enemy often attacks through our families.

That's the truth I've found as well. Attacks come out of nowhere.

Reactions: Pearl