Why do so many Christians vehemently disagree?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
That's something that may have something to do with divisions. I stopped using all translations other than the KJV. Then I read something about that. But for right now it's the only version I use. I wanted what I thought would be the purest form of what God inspired men to write.

We had several people leave our bible study because they didn't agree with the pastor's teaching. There seem to be so many Christians going in separate directions. I'm watching all this and wondering why they all can't unite against the real evils in the world instead of fighting each other.
I do appreciate and use the KJV, but I'm not strictly KJV-Only.

Soverign Grace

Sep 15, 2018
Palmyra
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Wherever a seed is planted it is Satans determined effort to stamp it out. The Gospel is operative in the devils domain... any threat to it will get a reaction. He sows confusion.......the regular smoke screens of making mountains out of mole hills and mole hills out of mountains.

Among Satans agents are pliable, obstinate and worldly wise man not to mention civility and legality and of course there's the saboteur ....they are ever so nice but call them on their game and you'll see a different face, some slippery, some agro and some vindictive.

Jesus is no pacifist......as he steps up to the mark stiff resistance is experienced, he tells us it will be no different for his followers.

If we think God has an organisation which does not have Satans plants we need to awaken from slumber and pray for courage, discernment, discretion and wisdom.

I read in War on the Saints by Jessie Penn-Lewis that when you rise higher spiritually that's when the greatest attacks from Satan will come.

That's astute to realize that God's organization has Satan's plants. It seems indeed a tricky path to the celestial city.

Prayer Warrior

Sep 20, 2018
U.S.A.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I wonder what you should do when dealing with carnal Christians who refuse to walk by the Spirit?
Good question. I would say we need to make sure that we're walking according to the Spirit and pray for our fellow Christians that they will be able to discern between living according to the flesh or Holy Spirit.

I have found that walking by the Spirit is a moment-by-moment choice to let the Holy Spirit direct and guide me as I submit myself to Him. I'm not perfect at it by any means, but this is how I try to live on a daily basis.

Reactions: Soverign Grace

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Good question. I would say we need to make sure that we're walking according to the Spirit and pray for our fellow Christians that they will be able to discern between living according to the flesh or Holy Spirit.

I have found that walking by the Spirit is a moment-by-moment choice to let the Holy Spirit direct and guide me as I submit myself to Him. I'm not perfect at it by any means, but this is how I try to live on a daily basis.
The point is to get into the Scripture reading and meditation and prayer habit individually, and then the Holy Spirit is likely to change the person from the inside outwards (not by others imposing supposed 'rules').

Prayer Warrior

Sep 20, 2018
U.S.A.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The point is to get into the Scripture reading and meditation and prayer habit individually, and then the Holy Spirit is likely to change the person from the inside outwards (not by others imposing supposed 'rules').
I agree. That's why Paul said that trying to keep the Mosaic law doesn't benefit us. This law was never meant to bring life, but the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus has set us free from the law of sin and death (Rom 8:2).

Reactions: farouk

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
'The Screwtape Letters' by C.S. Lewis is about 'Screwtape's' disciple 'Wormwood' infiltrating a church and sewing seeds of dissent.

Soverign Grace

Sep 15, 2018
Palmyra
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
'The Screwtape Letters' by C.S. Lewis is about 'Screwtape's' disciple 'Wormwood' infiltrating a church and sewing seeds of dissent.

I never read the "Screwtape Letters" and wish I had. I didn't know it covered the topic of Satan (in the form of a character "Wormwood") infiltrated a church.

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I never read the "Screwtape Letters" and wish I had. I didn't know it covered the topic of Satan (in the form of a character "Wormwood") infiltrated a church.
The Satan character is Screwtape and Wormwood his disciple who is being taught to disrupt. It is still in print. It's quite an eye opener with lots of recognisable scenarios. My copy is very old and brown with small print so I might get a new copy and read it again.

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Because we don't put Romans 14 into practice:
"Accept the one whose faith is weak, without quarrelling over disputable matters." (verse 1)
"One person considers one day more sacred than another; another considers every day alike. Each of them should be fully convinced in their own mind." (verse 5)
"Therefore let us stop passing judgement on one another." (verse 13)
"Let us therefore make every effort to do what leads to peace and to mutual edification." (verse 19)

Wonderful verses. Concerning v.1 and v.5, there are instances where more serious and dangerous matters arise, and addressing them becomes a necessity. But boy, oh boy do we break v.19. Relentlessly. "Every effort" involves overlooking things like personal insults and others "cursing" you (James 3:8-9), which takes training and discipline. Not easy, but something you have to get accustomed to when speaking the truth in love.

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
How did you come to the conclusion that there were far more controversies in the NT than people like to admit? I've never read Josephus so don't know any church history.
I get the feeling that some people think everything was fine and dandy between the Apostles and other Christian leaders, as well in the individual Churches themselves, but that is not the case. Two Epistles were written because there was dissention in the Churches (1 Corinthians and Galatians). There was also the council at Jerusalem.

There were personal flair ups as well between Paul and Peter as well as Paul and Mark and Barnabas. It is also mentioned that Titus left Paul, at least for a while. Not saying they were enemies and most of it was handled. It was however there.

Josephus was a Jewish historian and spoke very little of Christian history. When you read some of the early church father's such as Tertillian (sp?) and Augustine you see them combating what they called heresies in the Church. One of my favorite books as a much easier read is by William J. Bennett called Tried by Fire. It details alot of problems the Church had in the first 1000 years, and not all of it was external.

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Are pastors/ Christians refusing to look at their own sin or the sin in their congregations?
Yes, that is certainly the case. And then we have the entire Catholic hierarchy protecting the clerical perverts within their church.

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I get the feeling that some people think everything was fine and dandy between the Apostles and other Christian leaders, as well in the individual Churches themselves, but that is not the case.
That may be so, but that was certainly not according to the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit. The New Testament is perfectly clear that there must be unity of the Spirit and the bond of peace among all Christians.

The problem today is that the unity being promoted is false. Unless there is agreement on the fundamentals of the Christian faith, there can be no unity. So those who are in error must be willing to repent of their erroneous beliefs. And as is evident on this (and other Christian forums, as well as in Christendom in general), those who hold to false teachings invariably double down on their delusions. In fact they fight tooth and nail to hang on to what is totally unscriptural.

Reactions: FHII

DoveSpirit05

Jul 19, 2019
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
its simple, there are real Christians who have the holy spirit and walk in the spirit, and there are tho's who profess 2 be Christians and walk in the flesh!!