Why do so many Christians vehemently disagree?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

marksman

My eldest granddaughter showing the result of her
Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I've been in churches that have broken up and those that have remained stable. Yet one theme I see constantly running through churches and Christian forums are Christians who vehemently disagree - about Scripture, about prophecy, about whether we're to act or be passive, and about the color of the moon.

I know that not all have the Holy Spirit and that there are false brethren. But why so much disagreement among professing believers?

I'm curious to know others' beliefs about this.

I have a simple answer for this so forgive me if it is too simple. The church, by and large, is totally ignoring scripture. Paul spoke about the for want of better word denominations in the church at Corinth (divisions). I am of Paul, I am of Apollos, etc (same as denominations). His teaching was no, no, it is not to be.

The backdrop in those days was one church in each town who met in homes and were led by a plurality of Elders with apostolic and prophetic input.

Today we have multiple churches in a town with all sorts of beliefs and names. In the town I live in with 17,000 residents and the next one 7 ks away with 15,000 residents we have 45 different churches. Apart from a few special occasions like Carols by Candlelight they never talk to each other.

Everyone is very fierce in protecting their brand names and beliefs. Every Friday I attend a men's lunchtime coffee and chat group. We all come from different churches and we don't give a damn. We talk about everything under the sun and we are allowed to disagree with each other. Sometimes it is spiritual talk and sometimes it is talk of a general nature. And we have lots of jokes.

Most of the men have a jaundiced view of churches because they don't like all the differences and arguing. A few weeks ago we had a new member who had escaped the holocaust so we asked him to tell us a bit about it. He was so fascinating, especially as he had personally met Hitler.

We will impact this world when we have one church in each town which means that we are all pulling in the same direction. Add to that a plurality of Elders, not pastors that so often use the church as a platform for their ministry not everyone else's.

Enuf zaid.

B

Butterfly

Well, if you and SG were in disagreement, he is saying it about at least one of you.... is he not?

I know he may have meant that just the atmosphere of "ignorance" is to blame.... but just throwing that one word out there like that doesn't cut it.
I didn't really take it that way Willie, there is a big chance that people will have different opinions about why Christians disagree - every thought adds to the mix in reasoning something out. In all honesty I doubt it is any one thing, but a combination of all the thoughts on the subject. I mean it's highly unlikely we will ' agree '
I had just come home from work and just read the post, after reading yours- I just read it and interpreted the post in a different way.
Rita

Last edited by a moderator:

Sabertooth

Sep 17, 2019
Northern Wisconsin
transcendiary.blogspot.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I've been in churches that have broken up and those that have remained stable. Yet one theme I see constantly running through churches and Christian forums are Christians who vehemently disagree - about Scripture, about prophecy, about whether we're to act or be passive, and about the color of the moon.

I know that not all have the Holy Spirit and that there are false brethren. But why so much disagreement among professing believers?

I'm curious to know others' beliefs about this.
I see two reasons:
  1. We are all in turmoil as God builds His Church. We are all in different places in personal development and with regards to our ultimate place in the Body (having not arrived, yet). All of us are in transition, all the time.
  2. There are "pretenders" in our midst whose only goal is to disrupt that process.* They will be present until Jesus returns.
*Satan succeeded in killing Jesus, once. That didn't go as he planned. ;)
Likewise, these are being used for God's endgame, too.

Reactions: Soverign Grace

Truth

May 31, 2017
AZ, Quartzsite
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
For the simply reason that Satan is actively at work sowing (a)seeds of spiritual confusion, (b) false doctrines, (c) false practices, and (d) the works of the flesh (carnality) (Gal 5:19-21).

Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are these;
Adultery,
fornication,
uncleanness,
lasciviousness,
Idolatry,
witchcraft,
hatred,
variance,
emulations,
wrath,
strife,
seditions,
heresies,
Envyings,
murders,
drunkenness,
revellings, and such like:
...of the which I tell you before, as I have also told
you in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God.
Although what you have posted is true, and I do agree, there is what has become a mind set among different Denominations, and that is the__ We are right, We have the Truth, What we Hold to is what we stand on and We will not be Swayed by any other Doctrine of other Denomination's!
You see we are separated and out of Unity in the Simplicity of the Gospel, you could say we are Prejudice to each other!
We need to get a grip on Who laid down His Life for All, and search for Unity within the Community of Believer's and Agree to hold fast to that which is Good!

Reactions: Soverign Grace