Why do so many Christians vehemently disagree?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Soverign Grace

Sep 15, 2018
Palmyra
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Having spent my childhood reading no I other Bible but The KJV has been a boon to me in one respect. It would be almost impossible for me to fluently and smoothly read and easily understand Old English (Elizabethan-style writing) such as the original writings of John Calvin, if it were not for those years of reading things in the KJV that are often counter to the structure of Modern English. (It also helped with wading through Shakespeare in High School.)

You're lucky that's the only Bible you were brought up on. I muddled through various versions until now I don't like reading anything but KJV. I became concerned about interpreters possibly slant on it and I wanted to really know exactly what God was conveying.

Soverign Grace

Sep 15, 2018
Palmyra
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
As a matter of fact you will find that the King James Bible has faithfully translated the texts, and separated inserted words from the words in the text through the use of italics. In fact they transliterated the Greek equivalent of Hebrew names rather than translating them e.g. Esaias (Ἠσαΐας) for Isaiah (which was not such a good idea).

As for knowing the original languages, Strong's and the lexicons on Bible Hub will give you sufficient insight into any problematic issues. But Bible language is generally simple and straightforward, and Bible language is not exactly the same as the language spoken and written at that time. Compare "The Translators to the Reader" (original preface to the KJV) with the language within the Bible.

Thanks for the tip. This sticking to the KJV just developed this past year and I bought a KJV. Not saying I'm right it's just something I did. I bought one for a family member who doesn't like the language and finds it hard to follow. I don't. I wasn't sure how accurately the KJV was translated but I thought it would be the closest. The pastors we know use the NKJV. I've never used that one and don't know how good it is. I used to use the NAS. I took writing and learned that sometimes even one small change can alter the meaning of a sentence/ idea. There are many inflections and tones that can alter a sentence/ meaning which was why I really wanted the closest to what was intended.

I've seen the "Pure Word" Bible advertised. I'd appreciate anyone's thoughts if they've used this version.

Soverign Grace

Sep 15, 2018
Palmyra
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Belial does his work and many don’t see it under their nose

I miss it often. Something will happen and I'll try to figure out why someone all of a sudden said or did something and then after suffering awhile I'll figure out it was a spiritual attack. Or I'll be attacked within by the accuser. The Celestial City is going to be heaven just escaping from earthly attacks from the evil one.

Willie T

Heaven Sent
Staff member
Sep 14, 2017
St. Petersburg Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You're lucky that's the only Bible you were brought up on. I muddled through various versions until now I don't like reading anything but KJV. I became concerned about interpreters possibly slant on it and I wanted to really know exactly what God was conveying.
My wife speaks 7 languages, and I attempt 3. One thing we both agree on is that the last thing you need if you are searching for true meaning is a "literal" translation. A "dynamic" translation conveys far more of the meaning that was originally intended. This is one of the reasons I have become so enthralled with The Passion Translation.
Take a few minutes to look up the 23rd Psalm in that version.

Bible Gateway passage: Psalm 23 - The Passion Translation

Reactions: Soverign Grace

Willie T

Heaven Sent
Staff member
Sep 14, 2017
St. Petersburg Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Has anyone stopped to remember back over their lives to recall just how many passages in the KJV actually had to be explained (re-translated) to you before you understood what they were actually trying to say? So much time has gone by for most of us that we honestly do now think that we originally understood those passages before someone explained them to us. But, after some reflection, we remember that usually wasn't the case. And sometimes we still don't understand them; we just repeat them as though we do understand.

We have to realize there is something very wrong when that so often proves to be the case.

Reactions: Soverign Grace
B

Butterfly

My wife speaks 7 languages, and I attempt 3. One thing we both agree on is that the last thing you need if you are searching for true meaning is a "literal" translation. A "dynamic" translation conveys far more of the meaning that was originally intended. This is one of the reasons I have become so enthralled with The Passion Translation.

What a lovely translation - I love the 23rd psalm anyway , that made me quite emotional
Rita

Reactions: Willie T

Soverign Grace

Sep 15, 2018
Palmyra
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

That's a lot of languages! It's a benefit - one of my family members has to use a translation tool in work due to having so many people from other countries she has to deal with in work.

That's interesting Willie - "dynamic" vs "literal." I haven't heard of The Passion Translation but the word usage is very rich and beautiful. We were talking about just this topic last night in bible study: trying to find the most accurate meaning that was trying to be conveyed by the writers of the various books. I know in law, even the placement of a period can change the entire thought conveyed I was told. There are so many subtle word usages, inflections and intonations that can change the meaning of a thought which is why I began being concerned about the truest version of the Bible.

Last edited:
Reactions: Willie T

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I've been in churches that have broken up and those that have remained stable. Yet one theme I see constantly running through churches and Christian forums are Christians who vehemently disagree - about Scripture, about prophecy, about whether we're to act or be passive, and about the color of the moon.

I know that not all have the Holy Spirit and that there are false brethren. But why so much disagreement among professing believers?

I'm curious to know others' beliefs about this.

Amos 8:9-13
9 And it shall come to pass in that day, saith the Lord GOD, that I will cause the sun to go down at noon, and I will darken the earth in the clear day:
10 And I will turn your feasts into mourning, and all your songs into lamentation; and I will bring up sackcloth upon all loins, and baldness upon every head; and I will make it as the mourning of an only son, and the end thereof as a bitter day.
11 Behold, the days come, saith the Lord GOD, that I will send a famine in the land, not a famine of bread, nor a thirst for water, but of hearing the words of the LORD:
12 And they shall wander from sea to sea, and from the north even to the east, they shall run to and fro to seek the word of the LORD, and shall not find it.
13 In that day shall the fair virgins and young men faint for thirst.
KJV

Verse 1 links the last days (Isaiah 13:9-11; Matthew 24:29).

Verse 2 more about "the end".

Verse 3 for the end, a famine of hearing the words of The LORD, i.e., not understanding.

Verse 4 looking everywhere for understanding in God's Word and not finding it.

Verse 5 the thirst is for the Truth of God's Word

This was prophesied for today's time at the end of this world. This is why so many doctrines of men are rife in the Churches.

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I've been in churches that have broken up and those that have remained stable. Yet one theme I see constantly running through churches and Christian forums are Christians who vehemently disagree - about Scripture, about prophecy, about whether we're to act or be passive, and about the color of the moon.

I know that not all have the Holy Spirit and that there are false brethren. But why so much disagreement among professing believers?

I'm curious to know others' beliefs about this.
It all, in general, started with the Reformation. The reformers taught that The Church didn't have authority and generally taught that each individual could read Scripture and interpret it for themselves. Funny thing is once other men started disagreeing with the reformers they (the reformers) basically said that the "other men" were wrong. They were ok with questioning Catholic teaching but they didn't want anyone questioning their teaching. :(

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It all, in general, started with the Reformation. The reformers taught that The Church didn't have authority and generally taught that each individual could read Scripture and interpret it for themselves. Funny thing is once other men started disagreeing with the reformers they (the reformers) basically said that the "other men" were wrong. They were ok with questioning Catholic teaching but they didn't want anyone questioning their teaching. :(
The word of the Lord is the standard by which we judge all teaching.

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Wow....what 7 languages does she speak? I wish I could speak more than one....:)

The Passion "Translation" is NOT a translation. It's a paraphrase that takes great liberties with the original text. It is the work of one man, Brian Simmons, who claims that he got his new ideas directly from Jesus, who personally visited him in his room and gave him "downloads." The Passion Translation of the Bible not only reflects Simmons’ New Apostolic Reformation (NAR) theology, but it appears to be deliberately written in order to promote it.

My two cents worth....Mary

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

You should RUN from Brian Simmons instead of embracing him.....IMO.

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Luk 6:22, Blessed are ye, when men shall hate you, and when they shall separate you from their company, and shall reproach you, and cast out your name as evil, for the Son of man's sake.
Luk 6:23, Rejoice ye in that day, and leap for joy: for, behold, your reward is great in heaven: for in the like manner did their fathers unto the prophets.

Luk 6:26, Woe unto you, when all men shall speak well of you! for so did their fathers to the false prophets.

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Luk 6:22, Blessed are ye, when men shall hate you, and when they shall separate you from their company, and shall reproach you, and cast out your name as evil, for the Son of man's sake.
Luk 6:23, Rejoice ye in that day, and leap for joy: for, behold, your reward is great in heaven: for in the like manner did their fathers unto the prophets.

Luk 6:26, Woe unto you, when all men shall speak well of you! for so did their fathers to the false prophets.