Why do we blame God?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Robbie

Jan 4, 2011
Huntington Beeach
I've noticed that a lot of people say that God allows things to happen. Now I understand in a sense God is allowing everything to happen in that He gave us free will but He also told us what not to do. I kind of see it like any Father... your kid turns 18 and what are you going to do? keep them locked in the closet? So you let the kid go out with certain instructions of what is OK and what is not. For instance you give your 18 year old freedom to drive but tell them not to drink and drive. The kid goes out and get's drunk and crashes their car. Is that the Father allowing the child to go out and drink and drive? I see it the same way with God. People are like, "God allowed this to happen" when the cause of the issue was humanities rebellion against Him. I don't see how we can say God is allowing something when that thing was caused by disobedience to His command.

Any thoughts?

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I've noticed that a lot of people say that God allows things to happen. Now I understand in a sense God is allowing everything to happen in that He gave us free will but He also told us what not to do. I kind of see it like any Father... your kid turns 18 and what are you going to do? keep them locked in the closet? So you let the kid go out with certain instructions of what is OK and what is not. For instance you give your 18 year old freedom to drive but tell them not to drink and drive. The kid goes out and get's drunk and crashes their car. Is that the Father allowing the child to go out and drink and drive? I see it the same way with God. People are like, "God allowed this to happen" when the cause of the issue was humanities rebellion against Him. I don't see how we can say God is allowing something when that thing was caused by disobedience to His command.

Any thoughts?

I think the issue becomes difficult if you become a victim of another person's sin. Through no fault of your own, you end up hurt by someone's sinful choice; it sounds a bit cavalier to assign blame to all humanity; some might even say we are blaming the victim.

tomwebster

Dec 11, 2006

Any thoughts?

Read Job 1.

Robbie

Jan 4, 2011
Huntington Beeach
Yeah... I agree Aspen... I think that's one of the hardest things about life is how much we all effect each other... it can also be one of the most beautiful things when the effects are positive... but yeah... the fact that some people use their free will in a way that hurts those around them can really suck... I guess that's one of the reason God gave us the Law? To protect people? And that's why the whole Law is summed as Love your Neighbor as yourself?

I've read Job a bunch of times... and once again I don't see God doing anything to hurt anyone... I see satan tweaking Job... not God...

martinlawrencescott

Servant Prince
Apr 6, 2011
Ventura, California
As I see it, when we are in Christ, God can use different circumstances in our lives to test us with different responsibilities and around different people. Sometimes I think as Christians we can blame God for being against us when we are handling these responsibilities and relationships negatively when God is bringing them into our paths to build us up. Then there is the enemy. I believe any and all attacks against us by Satan have to pass through God in order to reach us when we are in Christ. God isn't going to take the freewill of the enemy away from him but will limit his destructive power upon those who trust in Christ. In fact, for those in Christ, the enemy can do nothing but benefit those who are obedient to God. It's a crazy paradox that even what the enemy tries to accomplish for evil, God can turn for our good and show His faithfulness by pressing his foot harder on the enemy's head. When we are outside of Christ, we aren't promised protection, and the enemy I think sometimes prefers to manipulate his prey into ministers of his work which I think can be just as bad as destroying them completely.

WhiteKnuckle

Mar 29, 2009
I've read Job a bunch of times... and once again I don't see God doing anything to hurt anyone... I see satan tweaking Job... not God...

Read it again hoss. Sooner or later you'll come across the part where God says to Satain, "Have you considered my servant Job?" Then, you'll come across the part where God says Satan can do this and that but not kill him. That might help you understand a little more.

The fact of the matter is, God allows things to happen to us as believers, though no fault (or seeming) fault of our own. There's a purpose and a reason behind it. Sometimes we may never fully understand it, but, there's still a reason. And God allows it.

However, Let's say you don't wax your board, you slip, your chord tangles around your wrist and you sprain it. Do you say "God allowed it to happen"? or do you say, I made a mistake?

On the other hand, sometimes things just happen, flat tires, broken windows, stubbed toes, eye pokes, head aches, broken pencil lead,,, that's just life.

Robbie

Jan 4, 2011
Huntington Beeach
satan could do whatever he wanted... he had free will... so God actually restricted him...

and nope... my Father doesn't allow satan to molest me... sorry bud... not buying that lie ever again...

My Father delivers me from His enemies, not to them...

It's like Jesus says to pray this to God, "Deliver us from our enemies" and all the while God's got a plan of how He's going to do the opposite of what Jesus is telling us to pray for... that's garbage... Jesus is going to tell us to pray for exactly what the Father wants to give us... and Jesus wouldn't tell us to pray for God to deliver us from enemies if God's will was to deliver us to them... that would be retarded and make God and Jesus a couple of sadistic hypocrites...

I have heard that bullshiz interpretation of Job mostly from pastors who's churches are 501c3 incorporated with the world... and why would I ever trust or listen to a man who's incorporated with the world that God says is His enemy... never again...

WhiteKnuckle

Mar 29, 2009
satan could do whatever he wanted... he had free will... so God actually restricted him...

and nope... my Father doesn't allow satan to molest me... sorry bud... not buying that lie ever again...

It's like Jesus says to pray this to God, "Deliver us from our enemies" and all the while God's got a plan of how He's going to do the opposite of what Jesus is telling us to pray for... that's garbage... Jesus is going to tell us to pray for exactly what the Father wants to give us... and Jesus wouldn't tell us to pray for God to deliver us from enemies if God's will was to deliver us to them... that would be retarded and make God and Jesus a couple of sadistic hypocrites...

I have heard that bullshiz interpretation of Job mostly from pastors who's churches are 501c3 incorporated with the world... and why would I ever trust or listen to a man who's incorporated with the world that God says is His enemy... never again...

I think you're misunderstanding Job.

Satan couldn't even touch Job until God gave him permission. How do you see it different? How is it that God is the enemy in Job, or even "my" interpretation?

Rach1370

Apr 17, 2010
Australia

Hey Robbie. I know this is a really hard topic, because there are so many bad things happening out there: to ourselves and to others. And when push comes to shove God is our refuge and strong tower. The thought that He may allow His children to go through pain, or to allow others to sin against us...well it's scary and it feels like something a loving Father wouldn't do.

But the thing is, God has His hand in everything. He is personally involved in our world. He causes the sun to rise and set, the grass to grow and the rain to fall. He is with us every moment of the day, He feels our pain and our joy. Do you think that such an almight and all present God wouldn't know about, or couldn't stop, such sin from happening? Is He powerless to stop it from happening? He's not, He can do anything. He has already ultimately defeated Satan, so there is no reason why He cannot keep us completely from him and his evil works. So there must be a reason that He chooses not to stop it. It's not that it pleases Him...we know that sin grieves and angers Him. It certainly doesn't come from Him...He is completely good and nothing bad comes from Him. So why would our loving Father not stop this worldly and sinful pain from reaching us and others? Could it be because He already knows that it is not too much for us to bear, and that if we lean on Him through it we will become stronger in our faith, and in doing that glorify God?

I know that my own hardships have brought me closer to Him. You have talked a bit on your hardships too Robbie, and while I can't know what you went through exactly....where are you now? You are safe in you faith and loving Jesus! Would you change anything, as terrible as it was, if you thought you might now be in a different place? A place away from Jesus? I wouldn't trade all the good health in the world for my relationship with Christ!

So while I do understand your point of view, I'm afraid it comes down to two sides: either God allows us to go through hardships...for whatever reason. Or He is helpless to stop it. I'd much prefer my God to have a heavenly reason behind my 'trial by fire' rather than be powerless and unable to stop evil from hurting me. What do you reckon??

WhiteKnuckle

Mar 29, 2009
Hey Robbie. I know this is a really hard topic, because there are so many bad things happening out there: to ourselves and to others. And when push comes to shove God is our refuge and strong tower. The thought that He may allow His children to go through pain, or to allow others to sin against us...well it's scary and it feels like something a loving Father wouldn't do.

But the thing is, God has His hand in everything. He is personally involved in our world. He causes the sun to rise and set, the grass to grow and the rain to fall. He is with us every moment of the day, He feels our pain and our joy. Do you think that such an almight and all present God wouldn't know about, or couldn't stop, such sin from happening? Is He powerless to stop it from happening? He's not, He can do anything. He has already ultimately defeated Satan, so there is no reason why He cannot keep us completely from him and his evil works. So there must be a reason that He chooses not to stop it. It's not that it pleases Him...we know that sin grieves and angers Him. It certainly doesn't come from Him...He is completely good and nothing bad comes from Him. So why would our loving Father not stop this worldly and sinful pain from reaching us and others? Could it be because He already knows that it is not too much for us to bear, and that if we lean on Him through it we will become stronger in our faith, and in doing that glorify God?

I know that my own hardships have brought me closer to Him. You have talked a bit on your hardships too Robbie, and while I can't know what you went through exactly....where are you now? You are safe in you faith and loving Jesus! Would you change anything, as terrible as it was, if you thought you might now be in a different place? A place away from Jesus? I wouldn't trade all the good health in the world for my relationship with Christ!

So while I do understand your point of view, I'm afraid it comes down to two sides: either God allows us to go through hardships...for whatever reason. Or He is helpless to stop it. I'd much prefer my God to have a heavenly reason behind my 'trial by fire' rather than be powerless and unable to stop evil from hurting me. What do you reckon??

Great point!

Just because God allows hardship absolutely doesn't mean he's the enemy. That's how he builds us, helps us, and draws us to Him.

Robbie

Jan 4, 2011
Huntington Beeach
Trying to tell me God's in some way responsible for satan's attacks on me is blaming God for satan's rebellion and wickedness... you might as well be trying to tell me that when I was a kid my Mom wanted to take me to the child molesters house and cruised and watched while he had his way with me because she thought it might be good for me. Here's the deal... I don't care what anyone says... I won't believe that about my righteous Father because I know Him and His character and He wouldn't do that just like I know my Mom and know she wouldn't do that.

I've heard all that nonsense ever since I accepted Jesus and men tried to set themselves up as my teacher and I now know it's all lies because I know my Father... He delivers from the enemy... not to him...

tomwebster

Dec 11, 2006
Yeah... I agree Aspen... I think that's one of the hardest things about life is how much we all effect each other... it can also be one of the most beautiful things when the effects are positive... but yeah... the fact that some people use their free will in a way that hurts those around them can really suck... I guess that's one of the reason God gave us the Law? To protect people? And that's why the whole Law is summed as Love your Neighbor as yourself?

Your statement in the OP was, "I've noticed that a lot of people say that God allows things to happen.? That is what I was commenting on when I suggested you read Job.

Robbie

Jan 4, 2011
Huntington Beeach
No... my original statement was ,

"I've noticed that a lot of people say that God allows things to happen. Now I understand in a sense God is allowing everything to happen in that He gave us free will but He also told us what not to do. I kind of see it like any Father... your kid turns 18 and what are you going to do? keep them locked in the closet? So you let the kid go out with certain instructions of what is OK and what is not. For instance you give your 18 year old freedom to drive but tell them not to drink and drive. The kid goes out and get's drunk and crashes their car. Is that the Father allowing the child to go out and drink and drive? I see it the same way with God. People are like, "God allowed this to happen" when the cause of the issue was humanities rebellion against Him. I don't see how we can say God is allowing something when that thing was caused by disobedience to His command.

Any thoughts?"

Context helps... when communicating with people and reading the bible.... and my point being God allowing free will isn't Him allowing rebellion. Rebellion in and of itself is doing what you're not allowed. As a person you're allowed the freedom to walk into a store... and because of that freedom if you wished you could steal something... does that mean the stores allowing you to steal something? of course not... it means that you used your freedom to break the law... and when satan or humanity does wickedness to each other that's breaking God's law... breaking the law isn't being allowed... it's using free will to rebel. My experience is this is one of the main causes of people to hate God... because they look around them at all the pain and suffering and some know it all christian says, "God's in control of it all" and people say, "Well then God sucks so it's easier for me to believe He doesn't even exist" The truth is God isn't in control of our rebellion... and rebellion is the cause of all trials and suffering whether that be satan's or humanities.

gregg

Oct 16, 2009
arab
job said the things i have feared have come upon me. and again robbie you are thinking right :rolleyes: God is good and all good is from above.people always want to blame someone else but never themselves.God does not temp us with evil or teach us lessons with it. :D

WhiteKnuckle

Mar 29, 2009
Trying to tell me God's in some way responsible for satan's attacks on me is blaming God for satan's rebellion and wickedness... you might as well be trying to tell me that when I was a kid my Mom wanted to take me to the child molesters house and cruised and watched while he had his way with me because she thought it might be good for me. Here's the deal... I don't care what anyone says... I won't believe that about my righteous Father because I know Him and His character and He wouldn't do that just like I know my Mom and know she wouldn't do that.

I've heard all that nonsense ever since I accepted Jesus and men tried to set themselves up as my teacher and I now know it's all lies because I know my Father... He delivers from the enemy... not to him...

Did paul have a messenger from Satan, that He called a thorn in his side? Did Paul pray 3 times for God to remove it, and the Lord said, "My grace is sufficient for you"?

Like it or not, bad things happen.

I don't believe that God is not in control 100% of the time. I also don't believe that God allows anything to happen without reason. I also believe that God causes all things to work for the good of those that love Him.

I don't know why God allows things such as child molestation or rape or abuse, but, the fact of the matter is, these things happen.

To be honest, I grew up abuseed and I was molested. I don't blame God one bit. Why it happened I have no idea. Do I think it was allowed to happen to me? Yes absolutely. God could've jumped down at any second and put an end to it. Why didn't He? Who knows. Maybe if nothing happened I wouldn't be the person I am today.

I can say, that because of the wrongs that have happened to me, I'm 100% more likely to do something when I see a wrong commited, or if I know a wrong was commited to someone, than most people around me.

I can say, that because of the wrongs that have happened to me, I'm a man of action and not a man of words. I'm not the type to sit idoly by saying, "Oh, how horrible."

Sometimes as bad as things seem, they happen for a reason. I have to believe that, and I do believe that, and I have experienced that.

Dude, no offense, and not to put off your life experiences, but, you're still very young. Sorry to pull the "I'm older card", but, it took a few more years of living for me to realize things like this. When I was younger I thought the same thing as you on this subject.

gregg

Oct 16, 2009
arab
Did paul have a messenger from Satan, that He called a thorn in his side? Did Paul pray 3 times for God to remove it, and the Lord said, "My grace is sufficient for you"?

Like it or not, bad things happen.

I don't believe that God is not in control 100% of the time. I also don't believe that God allows anything to happen without reason. I also believe that God causes all things to work for the good of those that love Him.

I don't know why God allows things such as child molestation or rape or abuse, but, the fact of the matter is, these things happen.

To be honest, I grew up abuseed and I was molested. I don't blame God one bit. Why it happened I have no idea. Do I think it was allowed to happen to me? Yes absolutely. God could've jumped down at any second and put an end to it. Why didn't He? Who knows. Maybe if nothing happened I wouldn't be the person I am today.

I can say, that because of the wrongs that have happened to me, I'm 100% more likely to do something when I see a wrong commited, or if I know a wrong was commited to someone, than most people around me.

I can say, that because of the wrongs that have happened to me, I'm a man of action and not a man of words. I'm not the type to sit idoly by saying, "Oh, how horrible."

Sometimes as bad as things seem, they happen for a reason. I have to believe that, and I do believe that, and I have experienced that.

Dude, no offense, and not to put off your life experiences, but, you're still very young. Sorry to pull the "I'm older card", but, it took a few more years of living for me to realize things like this. When I was younger I thought the same thing as you on this subject.
PAULS THORNE WERE THE JEWS OF OLD

Robbie

Jan 4, 2011
Huntington Beeach
Hey whitknuckle... I might only be 37 but by the time I was 18 I had already been living on my own for 4 years, dealt with watching my grandma and grandpa die right in front of my face, a heroin addict mom, her boyfriend who shot holes in our house and then blew his brains out, and every other bad bullshiz thing that went along with it... by the time I was in my mid 20s I had already gotten paid to travel the world, been on the cover of magazines, ridden 20 foot+ waves and almost died from an infection that was behind my eye and 2mm from my brain... I could go on and on about all the trials and life experiences of this and that I've gone through even in my thirties but what's the point? That would probably just turn into some battle of the egos which is worthless. The bottom line is I could seriously care less even if you found a scripture in the bible that said, "God wants satan to hurt you" It wouldn't mean anything to me... because my belief about the Father is based on knowing Him... and not on reading a book.

My Father delivers me from the enemy, not to him... you can believe different... and share your opinion so I can maybe understand you more but if you're trying to persuade me into believing my Father is in some way responsible for satan's wickedness you might as well give up. Based on my faith I'd have to reject the revelation of the Father that's in Jesus to do so.

And trust me dude... when the person that molested you stands before God it isn't gonna be God saying to them, "I allowed you to do it" It's going to be God saying, "You broke my Law and hurt my child"

And I could care less about Paul's thorn... I don't know the Father through Paul's thorn... I know the Father through Jesus Christ... and based on that revelation I know my Father delivers me from the enemy... not to him...

tomwebster

Dec 11, 2006
No... my original statement was ,

"I've noticed that a lot of people say that God allows things to happen. ...

I was commenting on the first line only. Not even sure if I read past that, I don't read that much of your stuff.

Robbie

Jan 4, 2011
Huntington Beeach
wait... you didn't even read what I wrote but you had a response? That's such epic christianness!!!!!!! Thanks a lot for that... it actually made me literally LOL... hahahhaha

TeamJesus

May 9, 2011
New Zealand
People like to blame others for their own faults, God happens to be the most convenient one to blame, after all, most who do blame God don't think HE is real, they just like to do the blame game, for example when the earthquakes happen here in Christchurch New Zealand, Where i live, almost everyone including a good amount of Christians, Blamed God or " God is judging us " but really, God didn't do nothing fo the SORT! the earth itself is giving out, because we as man is sucking it dry, something has to give, if we keep taking stuff out, whats left behind? nothing, so yea.. there ya go :)