Why do we call it the RAPTURE?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

afaithfulone4u

Dec 7, 2012
California
Didn't Paul call it CAUGHT UP? Jesus ASCENDED, he was not caught up as in quick, within the twinkling of an eye.
2 Cor 12:2-4
2 I knew a man in Christ above fourteen years ago, (whether in the body, I cannot tell; or whether out of the body, I cannot tell: God knoweth;) such an one caught up to the third heaven.
3 And I knew such a man, (whether in the body, or out of the body, I cannot tell: God knoweth;)
4 How that he was caught up into paradise, and heard unspeakable words, which it is not lawful for a man to utter.
KJV
1 Thess 4:15-18
15 For this we say unto you by the word of the Lord, that we which are alive and remain unto the coming of the Lord shall not prevent them which are asleep.
16 For the Lord himself shall descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trump of God: and the dead in Christ shall rise first:
17 Then we which are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air: and so shall we ever be with the Lord.
18 Wherefore comfort one another with these words.
KJV
Rev 12:4-6
4 And his tail drew the third part of the stars of heaven, and did cast them to the earth: and the dragon stood before the woman{HEAVENLY JERUSALEM THE CHURCH} which was ready to be delivered {THE TRUE BODY BIRTHED IN CHRIST'S IMAGE}, for to devour her child as soon as it was born.
5 And she brought forth a man child{TRUE BODY OF CHRIST WHO'S HEAD IS MALE BEING CHRIST WHO WILL RULE AND REIGN

WITH CHRIST THE WORD}, who was to rule all nations with a rod of iron: and her child was caught up unto God, and to his throne.
6 And the woman{THE CHURCH, MOTHER} fled into the wilderness, where she hath a place prepared of God, that they should feed her there a thousand two hundred and threescore days. {THE LAST 3-1/2 YRS OF THE GREAT TRIBULATION}
KJV

These are they, the rest of her offspring that were not spiritually READY at his appearing to make the heavenly kingdom.

forrestcupp

Feb 10, 2013
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If you want to be technical about it, "caught up" isn't in the Bible, either. The word in the Bible is ἁρπάζω. Our word "rapture" comes from the Latin word "rapturo", which is the Latin translation of the Greek word ἁρπάζω, which is in the Bible.

So "rapture" actually means "caught up".

afaithfulone4u

Dec 7, 2012
California
forrestcupp said:
If you want to be technical about it, "caught up" isn't in the Bible, either. The word in the Bible is ἁρπάζω. Our word "rapture" comes from the Latin word "rapturo", which is the Latin translation of the Greek word ἁρπάζω, which is in the Bible.

So "rapture" actually means "caught up".
I wasn't really being so peticular about the wording as I was about how people miss where the event takes place in Rev. Rev 12:5 calls it "caught up" just as Paul said, but most seem to believe this is talking about Jesus' natural birth and his ascention. However, Jesus is telling this to John YEARS after his ascention and it is of FUTURE things to come also, Jesus was on earth for 33-1/2 yrs and he Ascended into the clouds as they watched him. But the body of Christ will be caught up as in quickly because the devil is coming down.
So Caught up is the rapture in Rev 12:5

the stranger

Mar 12, 2011
Grand Rapids, MI
I wasn't really being so peticular about the wording as I was about how people miss where the event takes place in Rev. Rev 12:5
calls it "caught up" just as Paul said, but most seem to believe this
is talking about Jesus' natural birth and his ascention. However, Jesus
is telling this to John YEARS after his ascention and it is of FUTURE
things to come also, Jesus was on earth for 33-1/2 yrs and he Ascended
into the clouds as they watched him. But the body of Christ will be
caught up as in quickly because the devil is coming down.

So Caught up is the rapture in Rev 12:5

<< Acts 1 >>
New International Version 1984

9After he said this, he was taken up before their very eyes, and a cloud hid him from their sight.
10They were looking intently up into the sky as he was going, when suddenly two men dressed in white stood beside them. 11“Men
of Galilee,” they said, “why do you stand here looking into the sky?
This same Jesus, who has been taken from you into heaven, will come back
in the same way you have seen him go into heaven.”

Referring to the words used to define rapture or taken up these words very much though they often represent the same meaning and time placement in my opinion. In fact, two different Greek words are used for taken in the scriptures above.

After checking into things, I cannot locate another place in Revelation where it seems to be talking about a past event. However in this case, it is hard to see it any other way. We can identify Israel with Genesis 37:9-10 and the dragon with Satan in Revelation 12:9 and it does seem to leave this open with Revelation 1:19 and more so if John was John the Apostle. Also, most prophecy books in the OT relate to the past, present, and future. It very well could be as believed as a quick history guide of the past to help us interpret future events as they happen.

Perhaps most puzzling to me, though I can interpret Revelation no better than the next guy, as you placing Revelation 12:5 as the rapture. I understand in part, but remember, Jesus is sitting at the right hand of the Father now on the throne, and will rule the earth in person after the rapture (in my take on scripture) so I would have a very hard time placing that passage as the rapture.

Depending or relying on the Greek words used for this occasion will lead to more confusion because there are many and many seem to be talking of this same event.

God bless you my brother

forrestcupp

Feb 10, 2013
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yeah, Revelation chapter 12 is a tough one to try and interpret. My view of Rev 12 is that it is a brief synopsis of the entire history of the earth from Satan's banishment when he appeared as a serpent in the beginning, to God's calling of the children of Israel, to the Savior's coming, to God saving His people through the Great Tribulation. If that's what it is, then that's a pretty big timeline. Where does verse 5 fit into that timeline? That's the part that's debatable. As big of a timeline as it is, I suppose it could either be the ascension or the rapture. Personally, I believe it's the ascension. As far as not using the same Greek words, why is it necessary that John, years and years later, uses the exact same wording as Luke did? They're different people in different times of their lives. Just because John described it using different words than Luke did doesn't mean it's not talking about the same thing.

Also, "harpazo" doesn't only mean rapture, and it's not talking about the rapture every single time that word is used. A great example is the parable of the sower. Jesus said that the seed that fell on the stony path is like someone who hears the Word and doesn't understand it. The evil one comes and "snatches away" what has been sown. That's the same word harpazo. That scripture is definitely not talking about the rapture.

I'm not saying that Rev. 12:5 is definitely not talking about the rapture. But I personally don't see it that way.