Why do you believe God is good?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

IanLC

Encounter Team
Mar 22, 2011
North Carolina
I have so many reasons that I can not list them all! I am just going to post some lyrics to a song that sums it up!

Beverly Crawford- He's Done Enough

lead:
if the lord never does anything else for me
he's done enough
if the lord never does anything else for me
he's done enough
he's blessed me once
and he's blessed me twice
the lord keeps on blessing me everyday of my life

ohh if the lord
(if the lord--doesnt do anything else for me....he's--done enough--)

ohh the lord has been good to me...
and the lord,
the lord has made so many ways for me
oh--
the lord has opened so many doors oh--
brand new mercies i see over and over and over again--
he blessed me once
and he blessed me twice
ooo the lord keeps on blessing me everyday of my life

ohhh if the lord
(if the lord--doesnt do anything else for me...he's done enough--)

he's done enough
(choir repeats several times and the lead ad libs)

thank you
(choir repeats sveral times and the lead ad libs)

he's done enough(same as above)
thank you(same as above

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
While many people feel that God is indifferent to the sufferings we inflict on each other and on ourselves....the sheer patience of God and His continued blessings towards the ungrateful is empirical proof of the goodness of God.

Then we have the selfless sacrifice of Christ who dies to save those who mocked and tortured and killed Him.

I would ask...who else can claim to be good but God?

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
God is good - despite a literal reading of the OT, written about God from man's perspective, which makes Him look cruel, at times.

WhiteKnuckle

Mar 29, 2009
God gave me life. God healed my family from the destruction my alcoholism caused. He's given me hope and love and laughter. He's been there when I had no one and nothing. He forgives me for my sins and is infinatly patient with me. He teaches me things no one else bothers to show.

The other things, He created warm weather so we can enjoy the earth and grow food. He created cold weather so we can enjoy eachother and eat our food.

Mountains are awesome. He created fish for us to catch. Supid dumb dogs that love us unconditionaly. Although the Ocean and I have an agreement,,, The Ocean is cool too.

Oh yeah, and the Deserts of the US are freaking great!

Then there's, strawberries and banannas and pineapple and cucumbers and broccoli and rice. Those are all delicious and very healthy.

I guess i could go on and on and on and on.

th1b.taylor

Dec 4, 2010
SE Texas
Up front, I do not believe God is good... I know He is!

I am bound to this silly device and will die because of my disease. Isn't that the common perspective? The truth is that God is providing for my wife, my daughter and myself and has counted me worthy for Satan to test me ad that means I am blessed of God in a mighty way. My entire life has been lived under the hand of God... even before I submitted to His leadership. In late '68 I spent two days on Stand-Down repairing the damage of 300 countable rounds that passed through my Huey and killed and injured NONE! Si, "Is God good... You betcha!"

Reactions: WhiteKnuckle

Miss Hepburn

Oct 28, 2009
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
From my direct experience of Him - there is no "bad" - there is only Him - I mean, there is only
such magnificence and beauty and love - there is nothing else
There is nothing else, but what leaves me in awe.

Good? ----- I dare say that is a paltry word.

Thank you for this thread.

Reactions: Miss Hepburn

Rach1370

Apr 17, 2010
Australia
I doubt anyone who really has God working within their lives, the Holy spirit within them, would doubt that God is good. We can know He is from what the Bible tells us, but we also experience it every day. Every morning when we wake and grace abounds anew, we know He is good!

Reactions: Miss Hepburn

prism

Blood-Soaked
Jan 24, 2011
So. Cal
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
For at just the right time, while we were still powerless, the Messiah died for the ungodly. For it is rare for anyone to die for a righteous person, though somebody might be brave enough to die for a good person. But God demonstrates his love for us by the fact that the Messiah died for us while we were still sinners. Now that we have been justified by his blood, how much more will we be saved from wrath through him! For if, while we were enemies, we were reconciled to God through the death of his Son, how much more, having been reconciled, will we be saved by his life!
(Rom 5:6-10)

[email protected]

Choir Loft
Apr 2, 2009
West Central Florida
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
God is good - despite a literal reading of the OT, written about God from man's perspective, which makes Him look cruel, at times.

A different perspective.

There are many that adamantly insist that God is cruel, as you have deftly stated.

Are you aware of any good arguments that can be used to defeat such an assertion?

I collect such things,you see, and would be eager to add them to my files.

thanks

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
A different perspective.

There are many that adamantly insist that God is cruel, as you have deftly stated.

Are you aware of any good arguments that can be used to defeat such an assertion?

I collect such things,you see, and would be eager to add them to my files.

thanks

Well, I can give you my perspective.

1. After reading a great deal of ancient literature, I have been shocked to discover how unique the Bible is in it's portrayal of human restraint. As cruel as God may seem, as described in the OT to our modern eyes - He is compassionate when compared to the description of the Babylonian, Egyptian, and Assyrian gods. It maybe strange to us, but the OT is a book filled with examples of God limiting the brutality of human beings. Limiting revenge to 'an eye for an eye' was unheard of in ancient times and it probably really made the Jewish people feel like their hands were being tied.

2. The OT was written about God from a human perspective. It emphasizes God's sovereignty over all other qualities - yet it is also inspired by God and His true character shines through the words - His compassion, loyalty, and longing for His people are evident throughout the scriptures. I think an awkward comparison might be a 5 year olds description of their dad to another 5 year old - 'my dad is better than your dad or my dad can beat up your dad' might be the first things out of their mouth, but if questioned further, the child will include how much they love their father and how much their father loves them.

3. People are limited by their vocabulary - we only have words to describe a small silver of reality. God has to work within this framework to communicate His awesome character, love for us, and direction for leading us back to the purpose for our creation in the first place - to love God and our neighbor. Think about trying to communicate with a dog - dogs may only understand 20 words at the most and we need to teach them everything they need to know to live against their natural tendencies in a civilized world, based on their limited capacity for language acquisition and expression.

4. Finally, the cruelty of God in the OT tells us more about the limits of humankind than the true nature of God. These people were desert nomads - they were extremely nationalistic - they were raised to be slaves, herdsmen, and warriors - none of these skills were necessarily compatible with higher thought / spirituality / perspective taking skills. It is safe to say these people were not known for their meta-cognitive abilities; yet God used them - He preserved their culture / taught them how to operate in a hostile world / cared for them / communicated with them.

I have a high opinion of the Bible, but I am well aware that it is only a vague description of the God I follow and worship.

Kingdomfashionz

May 26, 2011
Florida
I would be on here all night if I listed all the reasons why God is good. The main reason......Christ died for me. There is a song that says, "Amazing love how can it be, that you my King would die for me. Amazing love I know its true. Its my joy to honor you, in all I do, I honor you!!"

th1b.taylor

Dec 4, 2010
SE Texas
From my direct experience of Him - there is no "bad" - there is only Him - I mean, there is only
such magnificence and beauty and love - there is nothing else
There is nothing else,

I do not wish a debate but what you have said here is in direct contradiction of Godś revelation of himself, could you explain, please?

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I do not wish a debate but what you have said here is in direct contradiction of Godś revelation of himself, could you explain, please?

Miss Hepburn is right. C.S. Lewis explains that evil is merely an absence of good rather than a force; it is like 'cold', which is the absence of heat. Sin is the misuse of God's good creation. To suggest that there is a force opposing God leads to dualism, which is a heresy.

Duckybill

Feb 12, 2010
There are MILLIONS starving, homeless, at war, etc. every day. Why do Christians want to ignore this??? Nearly all large cities are sewers of evil. This world is filled with evil. God allows it to be. Why are you folks ignoring this?

tomwebster

Dec 11, 2006
Miss Hepburn is right. C.S. Lewis explains that evil is merely an absence of good rather than a force; it is like 'cold', which is the absence of heat. Sin is the misuse of God's good creation. To suggest that there is a force opposing God leads to dualism, which is a heresy.

C.S. Lewis is your teacher! I will be watching when you are explaining that to God.

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
C.S. Lewis is your teacher! I will be watching when you are explaining that to God.

Right....I forgot.....some Protestants believe in re-inventing the wheel whenever they open their 'B-idols'

C.S. Lewis is simply a modernist Augustine. His theology is part of your history too, Tom.

blessings