Why do you believe the Bible is 100% inspired?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The teachings in the bible are not irrelevant to a non believer because they affect society in general when it is believed to be inspired. Belief in the bible has caused people to hate others, hurt others, deprive people of civil rights etc.
No...you have that backwards. Societies have always been warring and hurting each other, most of which is ungodly. In truth, society is simply harder and more hateful when it comes to the weightier things in life like life and death, which would include the scope of religion. But that puts the non-religious and phony religions against the truth, not the truth against the world. On the contrary, the Truth, is for the world.

Reactions: Bobby Jo

Vince

Feb 20, 2019
Ft Worth
Faith
Atheist
Country
United States
No...you have that backwards. Societies have always been warring and hurting each other, most of which is ungodly. In truth, society is simply harder and more hateful when it comes to the weightier things in life like life and death, which would include the scope of religion. But that puts the non-religious and phony religions against the truth, not the truth against the world. On the contrary, the Truth, is for the world.
75% of people in the US consider themselves Christians, yet our country is very divided, depressed and angry. Look at his board how the discussions over doctrines between Christians become very nasty just like the worlds discussions over politics. I see no advantage of a christian society over a secular one.

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
75% of people in the US consider themselves Christians, yet our country is very divided, depressed and angry. Look at his board how the discussions over doctrines between Christians become very nasty just like the worlds discussions over politics. I see no advantage of a christian society over a secular one.
In spite of the differences and the squabbling, the advantage of a true Christian society, is that of the end result. In the end, it is better to have been hanging on to the truth with one little finger, than not at all or being completely off the mark. Whether it be pushing up daisies or basking in the halls of the Almighty, the end result...is eternal.

But the 75%...is not accurate. Phonies, counterfeits, and would-be christians, are not actually children of God, even if they say so - especially if they say so. That is what is meant by "taking the Lords name in vain." They are accursed.

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I guess MaterHoss must just be a 1-post-wonder, a drive-by, never to return.

Reactions: Dave L

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In spite of the differences and the squabbling, the advantage of a true Christian society, is that of the end result. In the end, it is better to have been hanging on to the truth with one little finger, than not at all or being completely off the mark. Whether it be pushing up daisies or basking in the halls of the Almighty, the end result...is eternal.

But the 75%...is not accurate. Phonies, counterfeits, and would-be christians, are not actually children of God, even if they say so - especially if they say so. That is what is meant by "taking the Lords name in vain." They are accursed.
Indeed, many people spend time sitting in pews but have never strived to really be like Jesus. Others have not sat in the pews, but hoping perhaps for political or financial advantage or other secular advantage have called themselves Christians while probably not even understanding what that means or should mean.

Reactions: ScottA and Bobby Jo

Vince

Feb 20, 2019
Ft Worth
Faith
Atheist
Country
United States

But the 75%...is not accurate. Phonies, counterfeits, and would-be Christians, are not actually children of God, even if they say so - especially if they say so. That is what is meant by "taking the Lords name in vain." They are accursed.
I agree that 75% cannot be real Christians due to the vast differences on theologies out there. I don't believe there is any way to determine what a real Christian is though since Christians cannot come to a consensus on what the bible says on the fundamentals of the faith. See this site for evidence.

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I agree that 75% cannot be real Christians due to the vast differences on theologies out there. I don't believe there is any way to determine what a real Christian is though since Christians cannot come to a consensus on what the bible says on the fundamentals of the faith. See this site for evidence.
Why do you expect a consensus?

We are one body, but many [different] members, each rightly having its own unique perspective. (See this site for evidence.)

The squabbling is not evidence of division, but rather a lack of faith...as if a knee should not believe what the eye reports of the road ahead. That is a humanity problem, not a Christianity problem.

Vince

Feb 20, 2019
Ft Worth
Faith
Atheist
Country
United States
Why do you expect a consensus?

We are one body, but many [different] members, each rightly having its own unique perspective. (See this site for evidence.)

The squabbling is not evidence of division, but rather a lack of faith...as if a knee should not believe what the eye reports of the road ahead. That is a humanity problem, not a Christianity problem.
I don't expect agreement on everything but I would expect a consensus on the fundamentals of how we are saved. There are conflicting theologies of salvation each contradicting each other. So if I choose the wrong one I am not saved. Seems pretty serious to me. Every christian says they have the correct theology of salvation, that they got this from the bible. So how do Christians as a whole really know what salvation entails?

Why would god allow this confusion on such a serious topic?

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don't expect agreement on everything but I would expect a consensus on the fundamentals of how we are saved. There are conflicting theologies of salvation each contradicting each other. So if I choose the wrong one I am not saved. Seems pretty serious to me. Every christian says they have the correct theology of salvation, that they got this from the bible. So how do Christians as a whole really know what salvation entails?

You "expect" what you don't understand. God is the greatest most complex master of creation, design, and development...and little old you are judging Him on his methods. I will say it again - things don't work that way. How many times do you need to be told?

Nonetheless, I will also explain again: You cannot wrongly "choose" what is within you - regardless of what misguided ministers are producing. The tail does not wag God. By design, those who serve God are doing a perfect job, in spite of your outlook, and in spite of counterfeits. No one is in charge of God's business, except Him. Only He has providence over all things.

How does it work then?

What is in you is manifest in the world, and will determine your future...not according to you, but according to just how God has determined. You are who you are, and you will do what you will do...and that is what determines just how or if you favorably fit into God's eternal plans. Therefore, relax, be yourself, except who and what your desires are...and if it does not align, you will get just what you have desired. You won't get yourself wrong - you can't. We are who we are. But now is the time of your decision. This is the time allotted for where it is that you are going. If you are going to change directions - do it now. This is your second chance. After this, there are no do-overs. Commit...and He will do the rest.

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
1. Think about the set of books in the Bible (the canon):
Historically, the way we got our canon of books is that humans got together, made up some criteria that made sense to them, and decided which books were in and which were out. Now, I don’t know about you, but I have very low faith in the fallibility of humans. To err is human, after all! So how do we know they didn't make mistakes?

I have no issue with 24 books of the Hebrew/Jewish Bible being divided into 39 books, multiple chapters, and multiple verses of the Christian Bible.

If one wants to discover and read Additional Literature from other scribes and writers, go ahead.

Mistakes to me are not in the number of books, but rather Literature that conflicts with the word God, in which I find no issue.

Maybe we have too little -- There could be books that God inspired, that were lost or left out of the cannon.
Maybe we have too much -- There could be books that are NOT inspired, that made it in.
(Maybe NONE of it is actually inspired.... !?)

Too little, Too much...nah.
None inspired...nah.

2. Think about the passages in the Bible:
Maybe God inspired some "chunks" of thought in the Bible, but not all. He was using human instruments.

Sure, willing human instruments, with His Power!

And we see down through history that he allows his human instruments to make errors - sometimes enormous, egregious errors. The good gets mixed with the bad.

Sure mankind can make errors. Humans are not all knowing.

Why should we assume the Bible is any different?

Power of God directing.

3. Think about the words in the Bible:
Maybe God didn't "inspire" any of it, in the sense that it came from him infallibly. Maybe all of the words in the Bible are really just the writings of wise, godly men.

Writings of "wise, godly men"; without the Inspiriation and Power of God? Pretty much an oxymoron.

These men were venerated because they were held to be saints and leaders, and thus their works took on a revered quality. It's easy to see how something could go from starting out as a wise writing by your mentor, to being a useful guide advising your church, to being THE guide for faith and practice, to being divinely inspired.

It seems you have somewhat of a lack of distinction BETWEEN Scripture, and Individual Churches literature, teaching methods, customs and practices....(which very greatly).

Glory to God,
Taken

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Salvation pertains to "specifically" Saving of ones "soul"....
(Because of Gods Grace; BY a mans Choice to Accept, Restoration of his soul; Effected Through Gods Power)

All "souls" are SAVED, by and through the same "Method"....
"IF" one believes in; and Continues in Belief during his Natural Lifetime;
IN Thee Heavenly Spirit God and His WORD...
Such man SHALL BE SAVED.

The difference between the OT "offer" and the NT "offer" of Salvation IS:

OT men Received their Salvation at the time of their Physical Bodily Death.

NT & forward, men can Receive the Lords Offer of Salvation of their "soul", BEFORE Physical Death, and ALSO, "Quickening" (rebirth, of their natural spirit to a born again spiritual spirit); And SHALL be KEPT "Saved and Quickened" By the POWER (Spirit) of God, dwelling within that individual.

Every Historical (since Jesus' appearence ON Earth) and Modern "Christian" Church is in agreement; Salvation is Offered, and Given, By and Through Christ Jesus to Individuals.

FYI ~
Jesus IS Lord and the Word of God
Christ IS Jesus and the Power of God.

Glory to God,
Taken

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Divided...Not a shock.

Jesus came to cause Division. That was an Intent. It was foretold, and you notice the Division is coming to pass.

Depressed...Not a shock.

Nearly all in the US have Debt.
Approx. 70% in the US take prescrip. Drugs.
A great number take illegal drugs.
A great majority in US live pay to paycheck.
A great deal in the US live in fear in their homes and neighborhoods.
Cheating, lying, pill popping, ill-behaviors are glamorized and promoted.

Angry...Not a shock.
People are sick of govt oppression and the long arm of govt poking in everyone's life.

The US is not a religious Christian "society".
The US is a political Communist "society".

Individual Converted Christians have their Peace and Comfort "within" regardless of what religious, political and worldly organizations and individuals believe and do IN the World.

Glory to God,
Taken

Vince

Feb 20, 2019
Ft Worth
Faith
Atheist
Country
United States
You "expect" what you don't understand. God is the greatest most complex master of creation, design, and development...and little old you are judging Him on his methods. I will say it again - things don't work that way. How many times do you need to be told?
This is the same as saying I don't know, so just say that.

Nonetheless, I will also explain again: You cannot wrongly "choose" what is within you - regardless of what misguided ministers are producing. The tail does not wag God. By design, those who serve God are doing a perfect job, in spite of your outlook, and in spite of counterfeits. No one is in charge of God's business, except Him. Only He has providence over all things.

How does it work then?

What is in you is manifest in the world, and will determine your future...not according to you, but according to just how God has determined. You are who you are, and you will do what you will do...and that is what determines just how or if you favorably fit into God's eternal plans. Therefore, relax, be yourself, except who and what your desires are...and if it does not align, you will get just what you have desired. You won't get yourself wrong - you can't. We are who we are. But now is the time of your decision. This is the time allotted for where it is that you are going. If you are going to change directions - do it now. This is your second chance. After this, there are no do-overs. Commit...and He will do the rest.
This is your theology. I can go find many different theologies of Christianity and they will claim they are correct based on the same things you base your theology on. I am not asking how to be saved, I am asking why no one know how we are saved?

Vince

Feb 20, 2019
Ft Worth
Faith
Atheist
Country
United States
Salvation pertains to "specifically" Saving of ones "soul"....
(Because of Gods Grace; BY a mans Choice to Accept, Restoration of his soul; Effected Through Gods Power)

All "souls" are SAVED, by and through the same "Method"....
"IF" one believes in; and Continues in Belief during his Natural Lifetime;
IN Thee Heavenly Spirit God and His WORD...
Such man SHALL BE SAVED.

The difference between the OT "offer" and the NT "offer" of Salvation IS:

OT men Received their Salvation at the time of their Physical Bodily Death.

NT & forward, men can Receive the Lords Offer of Salvation of their "soul", BEFORE Physical Death, and ALSO, "Quickening" (rebirth, of their natural spirit to a born again spiritual spirit); And SHALL be KEPT "Saved and Quickened" By the POWER (Spirit) of God, dwelling within that individual.
I will repeat what I told Scott A. This is your theology. I can go find many different theologies of Christianity and they will claim they are correct based on the same things you base your theology on. I am not asking how to be saved, I am asking why no one know how we are saved?

Every Historical (since Jesus' appearence ON Earth) and Modern "Christian" Church is in agreement; Salvation is Offered, and Given, By and Through Christ Jesus to Individuals.
The historical churches or "christian" churches are the ones that you agree with. I bet if I came up with a church that believes in another salvation theology you would just claim they are not really christian. There are many historical and modern christian churches that do not believe what you just wrote.

Vince

Feb 20, 2019
Ft Worth
Faith
Atheist
Country
United States
Divided...Not a shock.

Jesus came to cause Division. That was an Intent. It was foretold, and you notice the Division is coming to pass.
I am not asking about why there is division but why god is not clear on the most important thing, how one is saved.

The US is not a religious Christian "society".
The US is a political Communist "society".
We are far from the definition of a political communist society.

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I will repeat what I told Scott A. This is your theology. I can go find many different theologies of Christianity and they will claim they are correct based on the same things you base your theology on. I am not asking how to be saved, I am asking why no one know how we are saved?

Know HOW? Already said, By an Individual Believing, and the Lords Power.

The historical churches or "christian" churches are the ones that you agree with.

Already said; the BASIC Tenents of Common Belief of Christian Churches.
And Additional Individual Christian Church's Doctrines; beyond the Basic Tenents; are what Individuals DISAGREE WITH, including myself.

I bet if I came up with a church that believes in another salvation theology you would just claim they are not really christian.

Well ya. Because they would not BE Christian Churches.

There are many historical and modern christian churches that do not believe what you just wrote.

Many eh? Perhaps you could list a few of them.

Glory to God,
Taken

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I am not asking about why there is division but why god is not clear on the most important thing, how one is saved.

Believe, Heartfully Submit to the Lord.

We are far from the definition of a political communist society.

Uh, ya it is, as well is the mindset of a large percentage of individuals alien and domestic living in the US.

Glory to God,
Taken

Vince

Feb 20, 2019
Ft Worth
Faith
Atheist
Country
United States
Know HOW? Already said, By an Individual Believing, and the Lords Power.
I understand this is how you think you are saved. There are many Christians that would disagree. Why are you right and they are wrong?

Many eh? Perhaps you could list a few of them.

You said:

Assembly of God doctrine says you need to have repentance.
Catholic Doctrine requires baptism and works.
Church of Christ requires repentance and baptism.
John MacArthur and many non denominational churches require Lordship Salvation. This requires submission (works) along with belief.
Mormons would agree with your statement but they also require keeping gods commands.

These 4 examples may agree with your generic salvation statement above, but they don't agree on how we are saved beyond that.

Vince

Feb 20, 2019
Ft Worth
Faith
Atheist
Country
United States
Uh, ya it is, as well is the mindset of a large percentage of individuals alien and domestic living in the US.

Well maybe you should support your claim then. You must mean something different than historical communism. We have a massive amount of privately owned property in the US.