Why do you feel it is so hard to be good?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Gospel Believer

Aug 2, 2019
Columbus Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And, yet, he will judge each of us according to what we have done.
Saving faith is measured by what it does, not by what it says. That's why each of us has to know if we have real faith and are ready to meet Jesus when he comes back. We know that by how we live. That's why we are told to make our calling and election sure by doing things. If you find you can't live a righteous life then you know that you are not saved and are not ready to meet Jesus when he comes back. The Bible tells us this for our sake.

Sounds great, doesn’t it? Unfortunately it is Unbiblical......

God’s Word * TELLS* us what we will be Judged by! Paul said it ! We are ALL going to be JUDGED BY * HIS GOSPEL * ( Romans 2:16).....

NOBODY can live a “ Righteous Life”..... if they did it would mean that “ Christ died in Vain” .....the ONLY way to be “Righteous” is to have Christ’s Righteousness IMPUTED to you! You get this by simply BELIEVING the Gospel .....we indeed are to “examine” ourselves from time to time.....NOT to see if we are “ Worthy” or not—— NOT to see if we are “ righteous” or not......but to see if we are “ in the FAITH”.......

The proper examination is to look inside yourself and know that you have God’s Indwelling Spirit.....do you Believe that Jesus was “ God in the Flesh—- God’s Anointed Son and YOUR Savior” ....If you Believe that you are His Child—— Saved, Sealed and Secure Forever .......Failure to Believe that Truth proves that you are “ NONE of His” .......

“ How we live” determines our blessings in this life and the life to come.....it has nothing to do with Salvation—— it was a “ GIFT” remember ?

“ For by Grace you have been Saved—- NOT of yourselves —- it is the *GIFT* of God .....

“ Thanks Be To God for His INDESCRIBABLE GIFT! “

Don’t you know what a “ Gift” is . You turn it into a TRADE! God would have to say, “ Give me your Good Performance and I will trade that for your Salvation....”

Why do you reject the Grace Of God? It’s the ONLY thing that will ever save you...... NOT your “ doing things”......This Confused Thinking shows a complete misunderstanding as to what True Christianity really is....It’s GRACE, Newbies! NEVER FORGET THAT ! Never confuse Salvation with Sanctification like many here do.....

The ONLY “ thing you HAVE to do” to get and stay Saved is to do God’s Will .....and what is God's Will? All you gotta do is “ BELIEVE in the ONE that He sent” .....Believe and Rest in the Gospel Of 1Cor15:1-4 and you are “ Home -Free” as far as your Salvation is concerned.....” Those That Believe In me ALREADY HAVE Eternal Life and shall NEVER come under Condemnation”... see how easy Salvation is ? Easy for us and Horrible for the God that Loved us......God gets ALL of the Glory for our Salvation....some just can’t resist trying to “ muscle in” with their Stellar Character and Wonderful Performance Of “ Doing Stuff” for God to prove that threat are Worthy......Me? I am the True “ Chief Of Sinners” , *MADE* WORTHY by the Blood Of The Lamb......

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What are Christian morals?

First off all and all, you have to get rid of the concept of Law. The teachings of Christ are more like a philosophy backed by the authority of God. A matter of the mind and heart. The Law was ridged and unyielding and full of holes. Unlike the Mosaic Law, a Christian that sins has not transgressed all the teachings of Christ and the Apostles.

What is the difference?

Just as an example, under the Law you could get stoned for tending to someone that was sickly on the Sabbath. You might get stoned for cooking a potato on the Sabbath…. picking the potato would be a separate sin. Not allowed to harvest on the Sabbath. Same goes for fishing and cooking fish.

Sabbath food preparation refers to the preparation and handling of food before the Sabbath, (also called Shabbat, or the seventh day of the week), the rule of rest as defined by the Mosaic Law, when cooking, baking, and the kindling of a fire are prohibited by the Jewish law. Nothing that accomplishes anything.

With Christ the circumstances maybe taken into account, and you can tend the fire if you are cold. Because they are a higher order….they make more sense. Christ is not going to give us the command to separate our livestock by color or kill all that breaths and keep the virgins for ourselves. Higher order!

But what we do not have are specific Laws…. We certainly have, love God and love one another. The summary of what you should do, but there are specifics. A Driver’s Manual that has one page and big letters that say DRIVE GOOD.

So what are the morals of Christianity?….Well first off they are in the New Testament, set by either words and or examples. Which means you could know all of the morals of Christianity….even if your Bible did not include the Old Testament….

So to open the discussion; Where do we look in the New Testament to know the morals of Christianity? Again it is a discussion.

We can discuss the Sermon on the Mount.

We can discuss the parable of the Sheep and the Goats.

The red letters of Christ in the Gospels, and just as important are His examples and the storyline….and from that the understanding and feeling of the Spirit of Christ.

Then we move on to the Apostles and again it is not just the words but the storyline, the circumstances, and the spirit.

Things we should do and things we should not do. But the most clear examples of immorality and sin are in these scriptures….the crux of the matter.

1st Corinthians 6:9-10 “Or do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived; neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor homosexuals, nor thieves, nor the covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers, will inherit the kingdom of God.”

Galatians 5:21 “Now the deeds of the flesh are evident, which are: immorality, impurity, sensuality, idolatry, sorcery, enmities, strife, jealousy, outbursts of anger, disputes, dissensions, factions, envying, drunkenness, carousing, and things like these, of which I forewarn you, just as I have forewarned you, that those who practice such things will not inherit the kingdom of God.”

Revelation 21:8
But for the cowardly and unbelieving and abominable and murderers and immoral persons and sorcerers and idolaters and all liars, their part will be in the lake that burns with fire and brimstone, which is the second death.”

Now if you start making a list of these transgressions, you will find that most Christians are not going to have issues with a lot of these, not even a temptation. Honest, hard working, family oriented Christians don’t even think about a lot of these things.

The over all methodology of beliefs, you could call it….Fundamentalism….focuses on the Bible.

The methodology of Christian morals is the New Testament.

Still a matter of study and discussion because these English words come from Greek words. A language that was produced by a culture that had a different way of looking at morality. So still some room for study and discussion.

Philip James

May 4, 2018
Brandon
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
some guys in here need to be careful of what they teach!

Hello GB,

Indeed...

The apostle John warns us not to follow those who have separated themselves from the community of the apostles:

They went out from us, but they were not really of our number; 10 if they had been, they would have remained with us. Their desertion shows that none of them was of our number.

Peace be with you!

Reactions: Gospel Believer

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Neither Christ, nor I or Apostles said the LAW "was do away with" Still there for the Jews. Still there, but they do not apply to Christians. If you knew more about the Mosaic Law, you would know this.
I don't think so. You assume that I know little of the law of Moses because I do not share your view. That is not wise.

Ephesians 4:14 || That we henceforth be no more children, tossed to and fro, and carried about with every wind of doctrine, by the sleight of men, and cunning craftiness, whereby they lie in wait to deceive;

Last edited:
Reactions: marks

Paul Christensen

Mar 2, 2020
Christchurch
www.personal-communication.org.nz
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
BE GOOD AND DO GOOD has become my slogan on this forum.
I feel like the Johnny Appleseed of be good.
Why has it come to this on this forum?.
Probably one of the most worth while discussion we could have.
I CONTEND THAT IT IS NOT THAT HARD TO BE GOOD!
I CONTEND THAT IT IS NOT THAT HARD TO LIVE A NEARLY SINLESS LIFE!
NOW PROVE ME WRONG!

The truth will set you free! Be honest.
Paul found it hard to be good. He said that there was nothing good in him, that is, in his flesh. If we are trying to be good to please God then we are barking up the wrong tree! Repentance is all about what we stopped doing, rather than adding good works to our already level of righteousness, which are actually filthy rags in God's sight.

Reactions: marks

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hello GB,

Indeed...

The apostle John warns us not to follow those who have separated themselves from the community of the apostles:

They went out from us, but they were not really of our number; 10 if they had been, they would have remained with us. Their desertion shows that none of them was of our number.

Peace be with you!
Peace? Or division?

"community of the apostles" doesn't appear in the passage, but it does appear in your comment, I'm thinking for one reason only. Am I wrong?

Much love!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
God knows your Heart....He does not need to see anything external so that you can prove your Faith to Him.....James is talking proving your Faith so that MEN might see it...

A man with NO FAITH ever in his lifetime will be damned.....

A man with Dead Faith will Receive No rewards....
It's as if people think that when your children come for Christmas, they have to prove they are your children? Of course not! You know who your kids are, and do we think God is less than that somehow?

Much love!

Reactions: Gospel Believer

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Paul found it hard to be good. He said that there was nothing good in him, that is, in his flesh. If we are trying to be good to please God then we are barking up the wrong tree! Repentance is all about what we stopped doing, rather than adding good works to our already level of righteousness, which are actually filthy rags in God's sight.

This is what I am talking about....so much can be missed and misunderstood.
Bible only....at least you have to understand that leaves out somethings....some very big things.
Now I don't think a smart guy like you is going to assume that Paul thinks that being good and doing good is not an important element and character of Christians and Christianity.

What causes some of the confusion are the scriptures between James and Paul.....a lot of people think they are contradicting each other. And they are not. They are not even talking about the same thing.

And this statement.... If we are trying to be good to please God then we are barking up the wrong tree! Is absolutely wrong! It is wrong from the perspective of theology. It is wrong from the perspective of common sense. Oh my gosh! What is the alternative?
We can debate on how it happens or what motivates it, but being good and doing good does please God, but a good part of it is obeying Christ.

Pleasing God....Christ

1st John 3:22 And whatever we ask we receive from him, because we keep his commandments and do what pleases him.

Hebrews 13:16 Do not neglect to do good and to share what you have, for such sacrifices are pleasing to God.

2nd Corinthians 5:9 So whether we are at home or away, we make it our aim to please him.

John 8:29 And he who sent me is with me. He has not left me alone, for I always do the things that are pleasing to him.

1st Thessalians 4:1 Finally, then, brothers, we ask and urge you in the Lord Jesus, that as you received from us how you ought to walk and to please God, just as you are doing, that you do so more and more.

2nd Thessalians 2:4 But just as we have been approved by God to be entrusted with the gospel, so we speak, not to please man, but to please God who tests our hearts.

Ephesians 5:8-10 For at one time you were darkness, but now you are light in the Lord. Walk as children of light (for the fruit of light is found in all that is good and right and true), and try to discern what is pleasing to the Lord.

Hebrews 13:15-16 Through him then let us continually offer up a sacrifice of praise to God, that is, the fruit of lips that acknowledge his name. Do not neglect to do good and to share what you have, for such sacrifices are pleasing to God.

Philippians 2:13 For it is God who works in you, both to will and to work for his good pleasure.

Colossians 1:10 So as to walk in a manner worthy of the Lord, fully pleasing to him, bearing fruit in every good work and increasing in the knowledge of God.

1st Timothy 5:3-5 Honor widows who are truly widows. But if a widow has children or grandchildren, let them first learn to show godliness to their own household and to make some return to their parents, for this is pleasing in the sight of God. She who is truly a widow, left all alone, has set her hope on God and continues in supplications and prayers night and day,

Now I do not know how you came up with the idea that being good and doing good does not please the Lord, but these scriptures prove that Paul had his head on straight. Is this where the term screw loose comes from?

As far as being good and doing good.....that is not what saves you....but if you are thinking that heaven is going to be like Hotel California, you are wrong. You can in fact sin your way to hell. And doing good is not what gets you to heaven but not doing good can get you hell. Read the ending of the Sheep and the Goats.

This is not rocket science. God makes sense. What Christ teaches us makes sense. Christianity is not a religion of non-sense.

Last edited:
Reactions: Philip James

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
not being under law doesn't make us "good" -- of a certainty, there was sin before the law

LOL Flush it! Sin before the Law!!! LOL Wrong thinking.
We are not under the Law! We are not under any part of the Old Testament. We are under the teachings of Christ. Good is matter of behavior or character....now is that influenced by Christ....I would say yes....Do the scriptures say....Don't even try to be good, it will all happen automatically? No. They tells us to be good and do good. The Mosaic Law means nothing to Christians.

Philip James

May 4, 2018
Brandon
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Peace? Or division?

"community of the apostles" doesn't appear in the passage, but it does appear in your comment, I'm thinking for one reason only. Am I wrong?

Much love!

Hello marks,
Not sure what you're implying,
but if you think 'us' does not refer to the Church, established by Christ, through His apostles, pray tell who you think 'us' is?

Peace be with you!

Jun 13, 2021
_
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
LOL Flush it! Sin before the Law!!! LOL Wrong thinking.

My apologies; I took you at first for someone familiar with scripture.

Romans 5:13
sin indeed was in the world before the law was given

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hello marks,
Not sure what you're implying,
but if you think 'us' does not refer to the Church, established by Christ, through His apostles, pray tell who you think 'us' is?

Peace be with you!
I'm certain you know why you made that distinction. But will you be forthcoming? Apparently not.

Much love!

Ferris Bueller

Sep 9, 2020
Middle South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And "others" and "your neighbor" would include God, right? :)
Loving others is how we love God.

‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of Mine, you did for Me.’ Matthew 25:40

"If anyone says, “I love God,” but hates his brother, he is a liar. For anyone who does not love his brother, whom he has seen, cannot love God, whom he has not seen. And we have this commandment from Him: Whoever loves God must love his brother as well." 1 John 4:20-21

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
My apologies; I took you at first for someone familiar with scripture.

Romans 5:13
sin indeed was in the world before the law was given
LOL
It kind like the guy that brought a knife to a gun fight.
The discussion was not about the Old Testament.
Of course there was sin in the Old Testament.
Were talking about sin as defined in the New Testament.
How you define sin in the Old Testament is not what is going to get you to heaven.
God never offered heaven to anybody in the Old Testament.

Ferris Bueller

Sep 9, 2020
Middle South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sounds great, doesn’t it? Unfortunately it is Unbiblical.
At the judgment, faith, and love for God will be measured by one's works:

31When the Son of Man comes in His glory, and all the angels with Him, He will sit on His glorious throne. 32All the nations will be gathered before Him, and He will separate the people one from another, as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats. 33He will place the sheep on His right and the goats on His left.

34Then the King will say to those on His right, ‘Come, you who are blessed by My Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world. 35For I was hungry and you gave Me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave Me something to drink, I was a stranger and you took Me in, 36I was naked and you clothed Me, I was sick and you looked after Me, I was in prison and you visited Me.’

41Then He will say to those on His left, ‘Depart from Me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels. 42For I was hungry and you gave Me nothing to eat, I was thirsty and you gave Me nothing to drink, 43I was a stranger and you did not take Me in, I was naked and you did not clothe Me, I was sick and in prison and you did not visit Me.’
46And they will go away into eternal punishment, but the righteous into eternal life.” Matthew 25:31-46
That's why you can't get to the judgment with dead, works-less faith that is 'alone' (James 2:17). Because, ultimately, in the end, dead faith is no faith. No faith is signified by not having a life of the works of righteousness that accompanies true saving faith (Hebrews 6:9)). Your own lack of works will testify against you and condemn you as an unbeliever at the return of Christ (see passage quoted above).

This is not a different teaching than what Paul taught. For even he said that the faith that justifies all by itself apart from works is the faith that expresses itself in love...

"For in Christ Jesus neither circumcision nor uncircumcision has any value (towards justification). The only thing that counts is faith expressing itself through love." Galatians 5:6
Only the faith that finds it's expression in the obedience to the command to love others is the faith that justifies apart from works. Hyper Grace theology says that is not true. It says even dead faith that doesn't express itself through love is the faith that saves. Hyper Grace theology deceives people who aren't really saved into thinking they are really saved and ignores all the scriptures that warn us that we have to have the evidence of saving faith and love for Jesus to be saved when Jesus comes back. If we don't it will be evident that we don't really have saving faith and we will be condemned.