Why Hell is not a place of eternal conscious torment.

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

robert derrick

Apr 13, 2021
Houston, tx
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I like having spaces where you can have an actual dialogue and discuss and counter argue your points without 20 pages of stuff plopped down.

Also it’s good to examine this concept of eternal fire. A eternal fire with endless smoke correct? So what does that mean? Is it literal? Or is it something God used metaphorically?
And now symbolism from the Symbol Man's Bible.

Jude 7
New American Standard Bible

7 just as Sodom and Gomorrah and the cities around them, since they in the same way as these angels indulged in sexual perversion and went after strange flesh, are exhibited as an example in undergoing the punishment of eternal fire.

so here it says that the people of Sodom and Gomorrah also experienced this eternal fire.
It's called Hell. Which will also be cast into the Lake of Fire.

Those places are not still on fire. Those places have not been on fire for thousands of years. The fire burned the city all up.
The fire and brimstone cast down upon them by God, was not eternal, but temporary natural fire, until burned itself out into smoke and ashes.

You are inserting your error into the Scripture, that is not there. Genesis says nothing of eternal fire nor eternal brimstone.

Then the LORD rained upon Sodom and upon Gomorrah brimstone and fire from the LORD out of heaven;

And brimstone is mentioned first.

So eternal fire seems to be war poetry for destruction.
In the poetry of the Symbol Man's Bible.
with a eternal fire we would expect endless smoke. We see this same “ war speech” used for Edom.

Isaiah 34:6-12

6 The sword of the Lord is filled with blood,
It drips with fat, with the blood of lambs and goats,
With the fat of the kidneys of rams.
For the Lord has a sacrifice in Bozrah,
And a great slaughter in the land of Edom.
7 Wild oxen will also fall with them
And young bulls with strong ones;
So their land will be soaked with blood,
And their dust become greasy with fat.
8 For the Lord has a day of vengeance,
A year of retribution for the cause of Zion.
9 Its streams will be turned into pitch,
And its loose earth into brimstone,
And its land will become burning pitch.
This is of course the sword of the Lord and the brightness of His coming again, destroying all the armies gathered against Him around Judea and Jeruslaem.

God's war speech ends in war exactly as prophesied.

10 It will not be extinguished night or day;
Its smoke will go up forever.
From generation to generation it will be desolate;
None will pass through it forever and ever.
11 But pelican and hedgehog will possess it,
And owl and raven will dwell in it;
And He will stretch over it the line of desolation
And the plumb line of emptiness.
12 Its nobles—there is no one there
Whom they may proclaim king—
And all its officials will be nothing.

Those verses say that Edom will be filled with blood. There rivers turned to pitch. A endless fire with endless smoke forever and ever. No new generation will live there.
Until fire melts all this heaven and earth of course.

It's another earthy fire kept going, as a testimony of the Lord's wrath over His enemies.

The sacred eternal flame of Rome was kept burning, until it was not.

Endlessly on this earth is not eternal, but only kept going until the end with scorching fire and passes away.

No more Edom, nor Edom burning, nor earthly fire smoking Edom for all to see.

well Edom is not on fire. It’s rivers are not pitches of blood. It’s not still smoking either.
Nor has the Lord come again to earth.

The Jewish writers used a lot of metaphors. “ land flowing with milk and honey “ and so on.
And so we see the unbelief, that Scripture is not God's written words, but only the metaphors of Jewish men.

so when you see endless fire, smoke that never ends, it’s highly poetic and symbolic.
In the mind of the Symbol Man's Bible only.

which brings us to revelation. Revelation is probably the most symbolic book in the Bible. It’s full of poetic imagery. Sea dragons, horse men of death, dragons with horns, Jesus riding a horse in the sky. It’s all imagery.
And more unbelief, treating the Lord's return in the air as mythical sea-dragons.

The first resurrection of the saints is not myth. Neither is meeting Him in the air.

Such faith is not in Jesus and His word, but only in one's own poetry.

For we have not followed cunningly devised fables, when we made known unto you the power and coming of our Lord Jesus Christ, but were eyewitnesses of his majesty.

It’s not literal. It means something.
If it's not literal, then it means nothing to God.

Myths of men mean something to men, not to God.

And they shall turn away their ears from the truth, and shall be turned unto fables.

The Symbol Man's Bible of poetic imagery only, is not God's written word at all.

Imagery only is as faith alone to God: Dead and meaningless myth of men.

But it says that Satan is tossed into the lake of fire. What else is tossed into the lake?

Them not written in the Lamb's book of life.
Revelation 20:14

14 Then Death and Hades were thrown into the lake of fire. This is the second death, the lake of fire.

So it says both death and hades was tossed in the fire as well. But is death and hades actual beings?
Souls of those cast into the LOF fire are actual beings.

God destroys both the body and soul in hell. Does not say torment.
Now you contradict your own symbology.

If torment is symbolic, then so is destroy. And so, your symbology doctrine says God never destroys anyone, contrary to the Scripture.

We see how people use symbology, to make Scripture say the exact opposite of what it says.

apolesai is aorist active infinitive: an event to begin and still continues without change: God is destroying both body and soul in hell. It's a continued destruction, until they are resurrected to live again and be judged.

The same is used of the two witnesses, who stand and continue standing in sight of all, until they ascend with the church into the air with clouds.

Says destroys. Kills. Makes dead. Hell, the second death, is where those thing cast into it comes to a end and is destroyed.
LOF is second death.

That really make sense because what is the wages of sin? Death. The wages of sin is death?

Death of the soul, not the body, which dies naturally. The soul that sins is spiritually dead and separated from God on this earth. It will be forever if sinning unto death of the body.

The fact that death of the soul by sinning, is a continued separation from God, proves it's death is an end to fellowship with God. Not an end to the soul itself.

Adam and Eve died the die they sinned, even as God warned they would. They did not die bodily for hundreds of years after.

The symbolic poetry teaching is blind to the true things of the Spirit. It's a natural-minded philosophy, not doctrine of Christ.
Matthew 13:30

30 Allow both to grow together until the harvest; and at the time of the harvest I will say to the reapers, “First gather up the weeds and bind them in bundles to burn them; but gather the wheat into my barn.”’”

I mean here is a metaphor that is less confusing for modern people

That's because metaphor in the Bible is obvious metaphor.

who don’t understand the symbolism for eternal fire, endless smoke and torture day and night.
Turning plain meaning of things in Scripture into metaphor, to change the Scriptural truth, is also obvious.

In the end, if torment is symbol, then so is destroy, and so teaches God does not destroy both body and soul in hell.

Not 'really' anyway. Such is the meaningless and unreal worthlessness of the Symbol Man's Bible.

robert derrick

Apr 13, 2021
Houston, tx
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Right. Probably not.
From that perspective he isn't water, wind, or earth. (soil) But...

At Pentecost He came like a rushing wind, with tongues of fire atop heads.
Out of us flow rivers of living water. He created humankind from the dust of the earth,
By His Spirit.

Maybe He is the fire and the water and the wind and the earth.
He's the Creator of all things. He's not in all things. That's Pagan spiritism. The river god Scamander is myth only.

And after the earthquake a fire; but the LORD was not in the fire: and after the fire a still small voice.

Like the wind, a sound is made when blowing, that ears can here. So is the voice of the Spirit to the hearts of men. But who's listening?

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
By His Spirit.

He's the Creator of all things. He's not in all things. That's Pagan spiritism. The river god Scamander is myth only.

And after the earthquake a fire; but the LORD was not in the fire: and after the fire a still small voice.

Like the wind, a sound is made when blowing, that ears can here. So is the voice of the Spirit to the hearts of men. But who's listening?
When was the last time you agreed with anyone on the forum?

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Body + Breath of Life = Living Soul
(Living Soul comes into existence only as a consequence of the union of the Body and the Breath of Life.)
Perhaps this only applies to Adam, the first man?
What about Eve? And Cain and Abel?
You and I for that matter. ???

Furthermore, there are 29 references to the realm of the dead in the NIV Bible.
I don't believe in a state of unconscious nonexistence in the afterlife.

cc: @Patrick1966

Reactions: Patrick1966

Patrick1966

Dec 21, 2022
Orlando, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well, the Bible tells us that whoever believes in Jesus will NEVER die, which certainly implies that those who don't believe will die. But does that mean that they're literally DEAD or might it mean that they have been sent to Hell?

I sometimes think that those in Christ go to Heaven and others go to Hell for refinement. Continuing on this thought, perhaps by the time we get to the Great White Throne Judgment, everybody has been brought under Christ and that the "judgment" is actually a celebration wherein Jesus announces that sin and death is defeated and then the kingdom is given to God.

Reactions: St. SteVen

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
St. SteVen said:
Well, the Bible tells us that whoever believes in Jesus will NEVER die, which certainly implies that those who don't believe will die. But does that mean that they're literally DEAD or might it mean that they have been sent to Hell?
It's complicated. (perhaps)

There are two kinds of death, of course.
1) Physical death
2) Spiritual death

Therefore, what does it mean to be dead?
Likewise, what does it mean to be alive?

We are born spiritually dead.
We find spiritual life in Christ.
But we still die physically. (or do we?)

Those who die physically that are spiritually dead will still face judgment.
Therefore are still alive in a sense. Can a dead person answer for their earthly deeds?

Those who die physically that are spiritually ALIVE will still face judgment.
Therefore are still NOT dead in a sense. Can a dead person answer for their earthly deeds?

It's complicated. (perhaps) - LOL
I sometimes think that those in Christ go to Heaven and others go to Hell for refinement.
I think everyone will need refinement. And religious people more than others.

Matthew 21:31 NIV
... Jesus said to them, “Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are entering the kingdom of God ahead of you.
Continuing on this thought, perhaps by the time we get to the Great White Throne Judgment, everybody has been brought under Christ and that the "judgment" is actually a celebration wherein Jesus announces that sin and death is defeated and then the kingdom is given to God.
That would be great.

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well, the Bible tells us that whoever believes in Jesus will NEVER die, which certainly implies that those who don't believe will die.
I don't think that is what is implied. (though many would arrive at that conclusion)
It's more complicated than that.

Luke 20:37-38 NIV
But in the account of the burning bush,
even Moses showed that the dead rise, for he calls the Lord
‘the God of Abraham, and the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob.’[a]
38 He is not the God of the dead, but of the living, for to him all are alive.”

Romans 14:9
For this very reason, Christ died and returned to life so that
he might be the Lord of both the dead and the living.

robert derrick

Apr 13, 2021
Houston, tx
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
When was the last time you agreed with anyone on the forum?
When they were right according to Scripture. And I do so every chance I get.

If you don't want to risk correction, then go elsewhere. I consider a matter of honor to take someone seriously enough, and respond to them truthfully, which is what I want from them.

If you're just playing around, go elsewhere. I don't like having my time wasted.

For do I now persuade men, or God? or do I seek to please men? for if I yet pleased men, I should not be the servant of Christ.

Patrick1966

Dec 21, 2022
Orlando, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think everyone will need refinement. And religious people more than others.
I believe that those who are in Christ will be purified but it won't be anything like a trip to the Lake of Fire.

1 John 3:3 esv

And everyone who thus hopes in him purifies himself as he is pure.

Patrick1966

Dec 21, 2022
Orlando, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
When they were right according to Scripture. And I do so every chance I get.

If you don't want to risk correction, then go elsewhere. I consider a matter of honor to take someone seriously enough, and respond to them truthfully, which is what I want from them.

If you're just playing around, go elsewhere. I don't like having my time wasted.

For do I now persuade men, or God? or do I seek to please men? for if I yet pleased men, I should not be the servant of Christ.

My brother, I think it's good that we discuss scripture and that we yearn to understand it. But let's not become hostile to our brothers and sisters here. Let's remain brothers and sisters in Christ.

Bible Highlighter

Feb 17, 2022
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Denial of the Doctrine of Hell By The Cults
I remember defending Eternal Torment way back when I first was wet behind the ears in studing the Bible.
Now, I look back and I realize I was just blindiy following what others said and I did not truly dig deep on this study myself.
I remember reading one article when I studied this issue and they said cults believe in Annihialation.
But keep in mind that a blind squirrel can find a nut. Truth is not always determined by a vote of popularity or just because a church is evangelical and good on other topics. There is no church today with a perfect set of doctrines. Scripture and God’s good character must determine the truth on this topic.

I believe in Dualistic Conditional Immortality. This is the biblical view that hell is a real and literal place of torment, but the wicked will be destroyed or erased from existence in the Lake of Fire after the Judgment.

The achilles heel of ECT (Eternal Conscious Torment) is that it cannot be made into a real life parable (or real world example) that demonstrates it to be fair justice. Try as you may, it will just never happen. You will never be able to create a real world example that shows God’s good character and fairness by the idea that He would torture alive others in flames for all eternity for a finite amount of crimes committed. This is important because Jesus accepted the extende Parable of the Canaanite woman about how even the dogs eat the crumbs. If only Jesus could make parables, our Lord would have rebuked her. This means we can also make parables or real world examples to illustrate spiritual truth, too. The Canaanite woman’s parable was also not some fictional event that took place on some fantasy world that does not exist, either. The woman gave our Lord a real world example in reply to Jesus’ parable (real example). Dogs actually do eat crumbs from a table. That is a real truth. But if you cannot demonstrate ECT by a parable in how it is fair in regards to justice then it is totally bankrupt no matter what verses you throw down. In fact, it may shock you, that there really are only five verses that appear to teach ECT, and I have great explanations with them involving Scripture that is not bent towards the popular church view.

Matthew 25:41 (WORDS OF JESUS) “Then He will also say to those on His left, ‘Depart from Me, accursed ones, into the eternal (aionios) fire which has been prepared for the devil and his angels;

Matthew 25:46 (WORDS OF JESUS) “These will go away into eternal (aionios) punishment, but the righteous into eternal (aionios) life.”

COMMENT - What is Jesus contrasting? Eternal punishment and eternal life. Correct? According to Jesus how long is life? Eternal. According to Jesus how long is punishment? Eternal. One can parse Jesus' words or attempt specious, clever word games, but His words are very simple and straightforward and clearly indicate that there are two states of every man ever born, either eternal punishment or eternal life. There is no middle ground. And if one argues that aionios does not mean "eternal" than they are painting themselves into a theological corner, because if eternal punishment is not forever, then eternal life is not forever and we are all in a hopeless situation!
Explaining Matthew 25:46:

“And these shall go away into everlasting punishment: but the righteous into life eternal.” (Matthew 25:46).

What does “eternal judgment” mean in Hebrews 6:2? It’s pretty simple; God judges, and the result is everlasting. Few traditionalists (i.e. Eternal Torment proponents), if any, argue that this verse teaches that God is continually judging for eternity, banging his gavel and repeatedly declaring saved or unsaved the same finite number of existent people. But wait a minute; it doesn’t say “the eternal results of judgment.” It says “eternal judgment.” Following the reasoning applied to Matthew 25:46, this verse must teach that God is continually in the act of judging! In other words, the consequences of the punishment are everlasting, and not the act of punishing that is ongoing. In fact, if we compare Scripture with Scripture, we discover exactly what this“everlasting punishment” actually is.

In 2 Thessalonians 1:9. It says, “Who shall be punished with everlasting destruction from the presence of the Lord, and from the glory of his power;” (KJV).

So the wicked will be destroyed. Their everlasting punishment is…. everlasting destruction! (See again 2 Thessalonians 1:9). Destruction means it is not around anymore. Something that is destroyed is no more. If I tell you I will destroy a piece of paper, I will either shred it, or burn it, etc.; It will be no more from what it used to be. It will cease to function in the manner that it was. It was destroyed. So Matthew 25:46 is referring to an everlasting punishment. This punishment has everlasting consequences and it is everlasting destruction (i.e. something that will be no more). Just as there is an “eternal judgment” mentioned in Scripture. A one time judgment with eternal consequences, and not a court like judgment that will stretch out into eternity for all time. Therefore, there will also be an “everlasting punishment” (Matthew 25:46), or a punishment that has everlasting consequences by an “everlasting destruction” (2 Thessalonians 1:9). It will be a destruction or ruin, or end of the wicked that has everlasting consequences.

Now, some try to say that comparing “everlasting life with everlasting punishment” is proof of Eternal Torment.

However, if we were to look more closely at Matthew 25:46:

Everlasting is the parallel (which speaks of the eternal consequences).

Both life and death (destruction, i.e. the punishment) have eternal consequences or effects.

But life and death (punishment) is the contrast.

So the verse is one part parallel and one part contrast.

As I already pointed out, the "everlasting punishment" is said to be "everlasting destruction" in 2 Thessalonians 1:9, which is death.

So the contrast is life (reward) and death (punishment).

And everlasting is the parallel.

Anyways, if ECT (Eternal Conscious Torment) was true, the verse would say,

"And these shall go away into everlasting life to be tortured in flames: but the righteous into life eternal to be in peaceful bliss." (Matthew 25:46 ECT Influenced Translation).

But the verse doesn't really say that, though; So Matthew 25:46 is not a solid case in proving Eternal Torment. At first glance, a person may get this impression when reading it, but we know that many verses in Scripture can be easily misunderstood with a quick reading (if we are not careful to compare Scripture with Scripture).

Sources used in this post:
(Please take note that I do not agree with everything this Christian authors believe, say, or do).
Matthew 25:46 Does Not Prove Eternal Torment – Part 1 | Rethinking Hell

Jack

May 3, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Satan LOVES it when his messengers convince people that there is no everlasting fire! He wants our company, "forever and ever"!

Reactions: Michiah-Imla

Johann

Apr 2, 2022
Durban South Africa
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
So are the immortal souls created in His image. JW natural theology is false. The soul of man is not the mortal body. Jesus Christ was not dead with His body in a grave for three days.

The true God isn't naturally anything. He was made a natural body of men, but He's not naturally created.

Natural theology of JW's is false.

Philosophy without the soul, is man's wisdom, not God's.

Man is not created the same as animals, with spirit only, but is a soul created by the Spirit in the immortal image of God.

I remember defending Eternal Torment way back when I first was wet behind the ears in studing the Bible.
Now, I look back and I realize I was just blindiy following what others said and I did not truly dig deep on this study myself.
I remember reading one article when I studied this issue and they said cults believe in Annihialation.
But keep in mind that a blind squirrel can find a nut. Truth is not always determined by a vote of popularity or just because a church is evangelical and good on other topics. There is no church today with a perfect set of doctrines. Scripture and God’s good character must determine the truth on this topic.

I believe in Dualistic Conditional Immortality. This is the biblical view that hell is a real and literal place of torment, but the wicked will be destroyed or erased from existence in the Lake of Fire after the Judgment.

The achilles heel of ECT (Eternal Conscious Torment) is that it cannot be made into a real life parable (or real world example) that demonstrates it to be fair justice. Try as you may, it will just never happen. You will never be able to create a real world example that shows God’s good character and fairness by the idea that He would torture alive others in flames for all eternity for a finite amount of crimes committed. This is important because Jesus accepted the extende Parable of the Canaanite woman about how even the dogs eat the crumbs. If only Jesus could make parables, our Lord would have rebuked her. This means we can also make parables or real world examples to illustrate spiritual truth, too. The Canaanite woman’s parable was also not some fictional event that took place on some fantasy world that does not exist, either. The woman gave our Lord a real world example in reply to Jesus’ parable (real example). Dogs actually do eat crumbs from a table. That is a real truth. But if you cannot demonstrate ECT by a parable in how it is fair in regards to justice then it is totally bankrupt no matter what verses you throw down. In fact, it may shock you, that there really are only five verses that appear to teach ECT, and I have great explanations with them involving Scripture that is not bent towards the popular church view.

Explaining Matthew 25:46:

“And these shall go away into everlasting punishment: but the righteous into life eternal.” (Matthew 25:46).

What does “eternal judgment” mean in Hebrews 6:2? It’s pretty simple; God judges, and the result is everlasting. Few traditionalists (i.e. Eternal Torment proponents), if any, argue that this verse teaches that God is continually judging for eternity, banging his gavel and repeatedly declaring saved or unsaved the same finite number of existent people. But wait a minute; it doesn’t say “the eternal results of judgment.” It says “eternal judgment.” Following the reasoning applied to Matthew 25:46, this verse must teach that God is continually in the act of judging! In other words, the consequences of the punishment are everlasting, and not the act of punishing that is ongoing. In fact, if we compare Scripture with Scripture, we discover exactly what this“everlasting punishment” actually is.

In 2 Thessalonians 1:9. It says, “Who shall be punished with everlasting destruction from the presence of the Lord, and from the glory of his power;” (KJV).

So the wicked will be destroyed. Their everlasting punishment is…. everlasting destruction! (See again 2 Thessalonians 1:9). Destruction means it is not around anymore. Something that is destroyed is no more. If I tell you I will destroy a piece of paper, I will either shred it, or burn it, etc.; It will be no more from what it used to be. It will cease to function in the manner that it was. It was destroyed. So Matthew 25:46 is referring to an everlasting punishment. This punishment has everlasting consequences and it is everlasting destruction (i.e. something that will be no more). Just as there is an “eternal judgment” mentioned in Scripture. A one time judgment with eternal consequences, and not a court like judgment that will stretch out into eternity for all time. Therefore, there will also be an “everlasting punishment” (Matthew 25:46), or a punishment that has everlasting consequences by an “everlasting destruction” (2 Thessalonians 1:9). It will be a destruction or ruin, or end of the wicked that has everlasting consequences.

Now, some try to say that comparing “everlasting life with everlasting punishment” is proof of Eternal Torment.

However, if we were to look more closely at Matthew 25:46:

Everlasting is the parallel (which speaks of the eternal consequences).

Both life and death (destruction, i.e. the punishment) have eternal consequences or effects.

But life and death (punishment) is the contrast.

So the verse is one part parallel and one part contrast.

As I already pointed out, the "everlasting punishment" is said to be "everlasting destruction" in 2 Thessalonians 1:9, which is death.

So the contrast is life (reward) and death (punishment).

And everlasting is the parallel.

Anyways, if ECT (Eternal Conscious Torment) was true, the verse would say,

"And these shall go away into everlasting life to be tortured in flames: but the righteous into life eternal to be in peaceful bliss." (Matthew 25:46 ECT Influenced Translation).

But the verse doesn't really say that, though; So Matthew 25:46 is not a solid case in proving Eternal Torment. At first glance, a person may get this impression when reading it, but we know that many verses in Scripture can be easily misunderstood with a quick reading (if we are not careful to compare Scripture with Scripture).

Sources used in this post:
(Please take note that I do not agree with everything this Christian authors believe, say, or do).
Matthew 25:46 Does Not Prove Eternal Torment – Part 1 | Rethinking Hell
I really appreciate you responding brother--but I stand with what stands written, eternal is eternal, with numerous other passages confirming this--

Also--when you say "--but the verse doesn't REALLY say that"--alarm bells are going of, but I know that you are sincere and stay true to the Scriptures.

J.

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I believe that those who are in Christ will be purified but it won't be anything like a trip to the Lake of Fire.

1 John 3:3 esv

And everyone who thus hopes in him purifies himself as he is pure.
I agree.
Those who have already received Christ and have self-corrected themselves,
will require less correction and restoration. This is key.

However, for the "religious" who have not self-corrected, it will be a different story.
The ones who would even argue doctrine with Jesus to defend their religion. - LOL

Who was this written to? Believers, or unbelievers?

Mark 9:47-49 NIV
And if your eye causes you to stumble, pluck it out.
It is better for you to enter the kingdom of God with one eye
than to have two eyes and be thrown into hell, 48 where
“‘the worms that eat them do not die,
and the fire is not quenched.’[a]
49 Everyone will be salted with fire.

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think "death" might actually mean a trip to the LOF.
That's one way to look at it.

Ecclesiastes 7:1-2 NIV
A good name is better than fine perfume,
and the day of death better than the day of birth.
2 It is better to go to a house of mourning
than to go to a house of feasting,
for death is the destiny of everyone;
the living should take this to heart.

Johann

Apr 2, 2022
Durban South Africa
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
I agree.
Those who have already received Christ and have self-corrected themselves,
will require less correction and restoration. This is key.

However, for the "religious" who have not self-corrected, it will be a different story.
The ones who would even argue doctrine with Jesus to defend their religion. - LOL

Who was this written to? Believers, or unbelievers?

Mark 9:47-49 NIV
And if your eye causes you to stumble, pluck it out.
It is better for you to enter the kingdom of God with one eye
than to have two eyes and be thrown into hell, 48 where
“‘the worms that eat them do not die,
and the fire is not quenched.’[a]
49 Everyone will be salted with fire.
Isa 66:23 “And it will come to pass, that from one New Moon to another, and from one Shabbat to another, all flesh will come to bow down before Me,” says Adonai.
Isa 66:24 “As they leave, they will look on the corpses of the people who rebelled against Me. For their worm will not die, and their fire will not be quenched, and they will be a horror to all flesh.”

And they shall go forth, and look upon the pigrei ha’anashim that have rebelled against Me; for their tola'at (worm) shall not die, neither shall their eish be quenched; and they shall be dera'on (loathsome, an abomination) to kol basar [See also on Gehinnom Dan 12:2].

look: Isa_66:16; Psa_58:10-11; Eze_39:9-16; Zec_14:12, Zec_14:18-19; Rev_19:17-21
their worm: Isa_14:11; Mar_9:44-49; Rev_14:10-11
their fire: Isa_34:10; Mat_3:12
and they: Isa_65:15; Dan_12:2; 1Th_2:15-16

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Matthew 12:40 (WEB):
(40) For as Jonah was three days and three nights in the belly of the whale, so will the Son of Man be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth.​
Agree.
Interesting to note that Jesus was laid in an above ground tomb. Where is the heart of the earth? (the realm of the dead)