Why is it somehow ok for people to force their kids to play sports even when they don’t want to?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

May 31, 2023
West Liberty
Faith
Atheist
Country
United States

https://www.reddit.com/r/Negareddit/comments/7p5rfs

I’ve recently heard articles such as these and it’s making me think “ugh why”. People somehow think it’s ok for parents to force their children to play sports when they don’t want to because they believe they’re allowing their children to lose weight and that it gives the parents the interests THEY want. For example, a dad demanded his daughter to play soccer for several hours every day so she can lose 50 pounds. It absolutely makes me sick when parents say forcing kids to play sports keeps them active and prevents them from getting sick and fat. It’s utter fat shaming.

It’s also fat shaming when people say that their child is fat because they eat too much junk food and sugar and all that garbage. They tells parents they’re bad for letting their children eat junk food and have a lot of screen time because for some stupid reason junk food equals death and screens equals brainwashed children. Then there’s the ridiculous defense saying their parents are right to force children to play sports and exercise and they shouldn’t hate them for that.

Of course we’re not supposed to hate our parents, it’s the actions they do that make us feel anger and a lack of respect towards us. I’m tired of people defending their actions that are inconsiderate towards their children and somehow make them justifiable. If people force me to do a hobby I don’t like and I protest and they reply with “but hobbies are good for you, why can’t you just do what we say and enjoy them like we’ve always wanted you to?”, they’re completely ignoring my wishes and being downright selfish. Even if soccer moms keep defending their garbage with “it’s not selfish, it’s getting your kids to get motivated”, they’re still ignorant of their actions and the effects they have on their children. Denying the fact that their acts are selfish even proves that they really ARE selfish.

In short, it’s nothing but an excuse to hide emotional abuse. Now I’ve also heard of instances of children who ARE interested in sports but their parents won’t let them participate. That itself is another example of emotional abuse. I’m definitely sure this also provides a similar consequence to children when comparing to vice versa.

I apologize if I sound like I’m complaining. I just need to get this off my chest. No advice needed. Thank you.

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel
-
Regarding Children, and others.

1.) Lack of Discipline is the art of failure.

2.) Consistency, in the right thing, is the key to correct success, or any other type.

3.) Train up a child in the way they SHOULD GO....... and when they are older, they won't depart from it.

4.) "Jesus learned obedience by the things He suffered"...

5.) "Suffered".... = doing what is right when you dont feel like it. Doing what is right, because its the right thing to do.

6.) Life is a TEST, and few pass it with a perfect score, but some pass it with a very high Grade of Character.

There are 2 kinds of people in this world.......

A.) Doer's

B.) Watchers

You dont want your child to be a watcher, so you make them DO early in life. = Because, You want them to be a Doer. So, If they are taught to be a Doer, early on, they'll always be one.

Make them finish what they start. NO quitters allowed.

Teach them to be compassionate and giving, as this is to be "God like".

Teach the Child that there is a difference between being meek and being weak.

Be a DOER of the word...of God., and not just a hearer.... = (not just a watcher).

7.) Failure is not the same thing as making the same mistake again. Failure is the art of finding the way to perfect, whatever you need to do, or want to do., or have to do.

8.) Parenting a child, is literally creating the adult's behavior.

If you have a Son, then remember : they are going to one day be someone's husband and father.....so, create him to be A GOOD Man.

If You have a Daughter, then remember that they are one day going to be someone's wife and mother.....so, create her to be A GOOD Woman.

Good = Godly MORALITY,.... + thoughtful, + helpful, + generous, + faithful, and disciplined.

= Thats on you., "Parent".
Get that right in the beginning of their life, and it'll last in them, always.

Last edited:
May 31, 2023
West Liberty
Faith
Atheist
Country
United States
-
Regarding Children, and others.

1.) Lack of Discipline is the art of failure.

2.) Consistency, in the right thing, is the key to correct success, or any other type.

3.) Train up a child in the way they SHOULD GO....... and when they are older, they won't depart from it.

4.) "Jesus learned obedience by the things He suffered"...

5.) "Suffered".... = doing what is right when you dont feel like it. Doing what is right, because its the right thing to do.

6.) Life is a TEST, and few pass it with a perfect score, but some pass it with a very high Grade of Character.

There are 2 kinds of people in this world.......

A.) Doer's

B.) Watchers

You dont want your child to be a watcher, so you make them DO early in life. = Because, You want them to be a Doer. So, If they are taught to be a Doer, early on, they'll always be one.

Make them finish what they start. NO quitters allowed.

Teach them to be compassionate and giving, as this is to be "God like".

Teach the Child that there is a difference between being meek and being weak.

Be a DOER of the word...of God., and not just a hearer.... = (not just a watcher).

7.) Failure is not the same thing as making the same mistake again. Failure is the art of finding the way to perfect, whatever you need to do, or want to do., or have to do.

8.) Parenting a child, is literally creating the adult's behavior.

If you have a Son, then remember : they are going to one day be someone's husband and father.....so, create him to be A GOOD Man.

If You have a Daughter, then remember that they are one day going to be someone's wife and mother.....so, create her to be A GOOD Woman.

Good = Godly MORALITY,.... + thoughtful, + helpful, + generous, + faithful, and disciplined.

= Thats on you., "Parent".
Get that right in the beginning of their life, and it'll last in them, always.
Are you saying they should go into a sport ANYWAY, because it’s God’s bidding, in other words, because God told the parents their children SHOULD be into sports whether they like it or not? When does sport and weight have to do with morality?

You might need to rethink that, because forcing someone to get into a hobby against their will is morally wrong. God would truly not like it either.

Reactions: Cassandra

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel
Are you saying they should go into a sport ANYWAY, because it’s God’s bidding,

Children turn into adults.

So, we have to train them so that they grow up productive, useful, and honest.

Its all about developing strong moral character in the kid.
You cant do that with a cell phone, Netflix, and no boundaries or discipline, applied.

Kids need to be put in situations that help them grow.
A cell phone helps them rot.

Give them...

sports.
Books
learning an instrument
learning languages.
learning how to cook
competition

Before Jesus was in the Ministry, he had learned how to build using wood.
That's not easy., as in those days there were no power tools, or a Truck to haul the wood back to the shop.
It was hard work for a little boy......and for a grown man.
Jesus worked with wood all day and then died nailed to some wood.

I.O.U

Aug 8, 2021
Brisbane
Faith
Agnostic
Country
Australia
Are you saying they should go into a sport ANYWAY, because it’s God’s bidding, in other words, because God told the parents their children SHOULD be into sports whether they like it or not? When does sport and weight have to do with morality?

You might need to rethink that, because forcing someone to get into a hobby against their will is morally wrong. God would truly not like it either.
Forcing people to do anything, even something that is beneficial for them causes the opposite to occur in the end "With every action there is an equal and opposite reaction" My mother forced me to play the piano every afternoon, every day. So now when I look at a musical instrument and would love to learn how to use it, I don't, I can't seem to feel a passion for it. Scary thought that it just may work that way. Think of all the slack lazy people in the world today, could it be they are that way because their parents forced a lifestyle of the exact opposite on them?

Last edited:

ButterflyJones

Feb 19, 2023
USA
youtube.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Maybe the parent seeks to live vicariously through the child they force into a particular sport.

I think forcing a child to enter a sport is ludicrous and a form of abuse. If a child's heart isn't in it they'll likely not excell at that sport.

Reactions: Debp

Debp

Jul 5, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think the child should go into a sport or hobby that he or she has an interest in.

I was never athletic but had an interest in art.

Reactions: Josho

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Hello,

Sport involvement, particularly in team sports helps the young develop team skills for the young participants in the sport. Unfortunately, the parents on the sideline can be a problem where, in their enthusiasm for the team to win, they tend to put unrealistic expectation on the whole team there by sucking the participation enjoyment out of the sport for the young children. As a result, younger people tend to leave team sports by around the age of 13-15.

There is a whole swag of sport participation that help increase the dexterity skill of the young people in a variety of ways that is beneficial for them.

For some just spending time with their dad in his workshop helps their motor skills. Not every activity is beneficial for all young people.

But then again encouraging participation to introduce a wide spectrum of activities for the younger children to experience is also good for them.

Shalom

Patrick1966

Dec 21, 2022
Orlando, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hello,

Sport involvement, particularly in team sports helps the young develop team skills for the young participants in the sport. Unfortunately, the parents on the sideline can be a problem where, in their enthusiasm for the team to win, they tend to put unrealistic expectation on the whole team there by sucking the participation enjoyment out of the sport for the young children. As a result, younger people tend to leave team sports by around the age of 13-15.

There is a whole swag of sport participation that help increase the dexterity skill of the young people in a variety of ways that is beneficial for them.

For some just spending time with their dad in his workshop helps their motor skills. Not every activity is beneficial for all young people.

But then again encouraging participation to introduce a wide spectrum of activities for the younger children to experience is also good for them.

Shalom

The best sports for kids are when a bunch of kids get together on their own and play for their own enjoyment. I was fortunate to grow up in the country and in a neighborhood that just happened to have a lot of boys around my age in it. We played baseball, football, and basketball all year round without an adult anywhere in sight.

Reactions: Debp

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
Forcing people to do anything, even something that is beneficial for them causes the opposite to occur in the end "With every action there is an equal and opposite reaction" My mother forced me to play the piano every afternoon, every day. So now when I look at a musical instrument and would love to learn how to use it, I don't, I can't seem to feel a passion for it. Scary thought that it just may work that way. Think of all the slack lazy people in the world today, could it be they are that way because their parents forced a lifestyle of the exact opposite on them?

I.O.U

Aug 8, 2021
Brisbane
Faith
Agnostic
Country
Australia
It's the parents personal belief about exercise that is forced on the child. There is little or no attempt to instruct the child as in the evident why it's healthy to exercise. Just do what I believe is good for you switches the child's positive thought polarity to a negative.

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
My parents allowed and encouraged me to play sports (baseball, basketball, football and Chess.) My athleticism prevented me from playing most sports for long.

To play or not to play? That is the question.

No one forced me one way or the other.

(I did have to obtain permission from my parents and the school board once in order to play in a state championship tournament that would have kept me from attending my High School Baccalaureate service - and did. It was granted.)

Gardorath

Jul 22, 2023
Canada
Faith
Other Faith
Country
Canada
Parents may be doing this to instill discipline in their child and also to instill a love of playing sports. Perhaps parents should sometimes relax and play baccarat here or spin the slots. After that, they might not be so picky about their children.

Last edited:

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
It's the parents personal belief about exercise that is forced on the child. There is little or no attempt to instruct the child as in the evident why it's healthy to exercise. Just do what I believe is good for you switches the child's positive thought polarity to a negative.

Why is it somehow ok for people to force their children to eat vegetables? To brush their teeth? To go to bed at a set time? To wear the clothes they are provided? To do their school homework? To do household chores? To exercise good manners? To obey the law?

Why is it somehow ok for people to parent their children?

Roelyntha

Aug 4, 2023
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Country
Australia
Why is it somehow ok for people to force their children to eat vegetables? To brush their teeth? To go to bed at a set time? To wear the clothes they are provided? To do their school homework? To do household chores? To exercise good manners? To obey the law?

Why is it somehow ok for people to parent their children?
It pisses me off, too. When I have kids, I'm going to be their friend, not tell them what to do and how to do it.

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
It pisses me off, too. When I have kids, I'm going to be their friend, not tell them what to do and how to do it.

This is a recipe for disaster for your future children. Trust me, it is our example of how we conduct ourselves while parenting in front of our children that will mould and shape who they become.

Some of my children are trying really hard not to make the same mistake that they perceive that I made with them, but the reality is that the harder they try to not be like me, the more they become like me with their children.

Living the good life example for others is a lot harder to do than we think.

Shalom

Reactions: Freedm

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
People somehow think it’s ok for parents to force their children to play sports when they don’t want to
That’s rooted in the idea that kids are not the boss and have to do what they are told by their parents.

People somehow think it’s ok for parents to force their children to <INSERT BEST INTEREST> when they don’t want to .., it works on so many levels.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
As long as there is no sexual abuse…

Maybe going to a ball game is not so bad.

My sister made her kids play ball, at least for a little while, or whatever.

If its sexual child abuse… call the law or tell someone! That something mom and dads should teach there children…

But some mom and dads dont… run! Get help. Some uncles may not either. Run! Get help. Check out the sex offender list in your local area and know who is around also keep your children safe.

Jun 23, 2023
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
While encouraging kids to be active and try new things is cool, pushing 'em into sports they're not into doesn't really add up. Just like how our faith is about free will, letting kids explore what makes 'em happy is key. It's all about finding that balance between encouragement and letting them follow their own path.

Freedm

Aug 3, 2023
Edmonton
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada

https://www.reddit.com/r/Negareddit/comments/7p5rfs

I’ve recently heard articles such as these and it’s making me think “ugh why”. People somehow think it’s ok for parents to force their children to play sports when they don’t want to because they believe they’re allowing their children to lose weight and that it gives the parents the interests THEY want. For example, a dad demanded his daughter to play soccer for several hours every day so she can lose 50 pounds. It absolutely makes me sick when parents say forcing kids to play sports keeps them active and prevents them from getting sick and fat. It’s utter fat shaming.

It’s also fat shaming when people say that their child is fat because they eat too much junk food and sugar and all that garbage. They tells parents they’re bad for letting their children eat junk food and have a lot of screen time because for some stupid reason junk food equals death and screens equals brainwashed children. Then there’s the ridiculous defense saying their parents are right to force children to play sports and exercise and they shouldn’t hate them for that.

Of course we’re not supposed to hate our parents, it’s the actions they do that make us feel anger and a lack of respect towards us. I’m tired of people defending their actions that are inconsiderate towards their children and somehow make them justifiable. If people force me to do a hobby I don’t like and I protest and they reply with “but hobbies are good for you, why can’t you just do what we say and enjoy them like we’ve always wanted you to?”, they’re completely ignoring my wishes and being downright selfish. Even if soccer moms keep defending their garbage with “it’s not selfish, it’s getting your kids to get motivated”, they’re still ignorant of their actions and the effects they have on their children. Denying the fact that their acts are selfish even proves that they really ARE selfish.

In short, it’s nothing but an excuse to hide emotional abuse. Now I’ve also heard of instances of children who ARE interested in sports but their parents won’t let them participate. That itself is another example of emotional abuse. I’m definitely sure this also provides a similar consequence to children when comparing to vice versa.

I apologize if I sound like I’m complaining. I just need to get this off my chest. No advice needed. Thank you.
You say "fat shaming" as though that's a bad thing. We should be ashamed of fat. That shame motivates us to get healthy, in the same way that pain motivates us to seek healing. It's a bad thing, with a good purpose.

So, when my boy was young, I put him in soccer because he liked to play soccer at school with his friends. Turns out he was a terrible soccer player, and he didn't actually want to play soccer, so I took him out. I didn't force my kids to play sports, but I don't see anything wrong with it either. It's no different than forcing your kids to brush their teeth or clean their room. Just cause they don't want to do it, doesn't mean it's not a good idea, and as parents it is our responsibility to make these decisions for our kids.

Here's another thing to consider. As I said, I never forced my kids to partake in activities, but now that my daughter is an adult she's frequently asked me "Why didn't you force me to do figure skating? Or piano? Or dancing? If you had, then I would be really good at it now.". In other words, my daughter now wishes that I had forced her when she was young, so that she could reap the benefits when she was older.