Why is it somehow ok for people to force their kids to play sports even when they don’t want to?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Freedm

Aug 3, 2023
Edmonton
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
It pisses me off, too. When I have kids, I'm going to be their friend, not tell them what to do and how to do it.
Yikes! Please don't have kids. Kids need parents, and if you're going to consciously choose to not be a parent, then you're robbing your own kids of the stable leadership they need. Kids are not adults. Don't treat them like adults.

Reactions: Wrangler

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Just cause they don't want to do it, doesn't mean it's not a good idea, and as parents it is our responsibility to make these decisions for our kids.
My point exactly.
That’s rooted in the idea that kids are not the boss and have to do what they are told by their parents.

People somehow think it’s ok for parents to force their children to <INSERT BEST INTEREST> when they don’t want to .., it works on so many levels.
The point of sports is to build the person. First, the body. Then, over time, the character.

It is not about how well you play the sport. It's about learning discipline. In High School, I used to run 5 miles before school. On days that I worked but did not run before school, I ran 7 miles after work.

Can one learn disciple without playing sports? Sure, what of the body? Why is our culture so intellectual that we're letting go of the foundation our life - which is physical. As Christians, we know our body is a temple of God. We shouldn't treat it like a waste container.

Reactions: Freedm

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It pisses me off, too. When I have kids, I'm going to be their friend, not tell them what to do and how to do it.
THEN you are abdicating the most important responsibility that God will ever give you.

Yikes! Please don't have kids. Kids need parents, and if you're going to consciously choose to not be a parent, then you're robbing your own kids of the stable leadership they need. Kids are not adults. Don't treat them like adults.
Agreed. The 10C do not say to honor your friend.

Why honor parents? It is precisely because they cared for you enough teach you right from wrong after giving you life. :Happy:

It's easy and fun to make life, "make love" as they say. It's not easy or fun to take responsibility for the moral development of an otherwise wild child until they are an adult.

This past weekend, I was blessed to hold in my arms my 18th grandchild! While visiting, her 3 yo and 6 yo older brothers played with me for hours. During that time, their parents gave them continuous doses of loving discipline.
  • Not to go out with a new gift that might get lost or ruined.
  • Not to climb on the changing table.
  • Not to jump off the couch.
  • Not to climb on the love seat back.
  • Not to swing the bat when your 3 yo brother is near.
  • Eat your dinner.
There was probably more that I forget or was not a witness to that day.

As the grandfather, I am no longer responsible for disciplining the next generation but am so proud of my daughter and son-in-love (that's what my church calls 'in-laws'. 'In-love' is so much more an appropriate description of the relationship.) The kids do not know better. It is hateful to "let them learn the hard way," when the reality of bad choices catches up with them. Far better to be guided by loving parents.

And one of the very best gifts any parent can give is discipline. You cannot be successful in ANY aspect of life without it. Was there conflict with me and my daughters growing up? Were there battles of will? YES. And being there, fighting those battles is HOW I SHOWED I loved them. And it has made all the difference. There respect for me is enormous because they now know as adults the importance of daily loving fatherly discipline.

• Love
Reactions: Freedm