WHY IS THE CHURCH GOING OUT BACKWARD?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

marksman

My eldest granddaughter showing the result of her
Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I totally agree! It says in Acts that as many as were saved were added to the church....Peter was out evangelizing and saving people and THEN they joined the church...
Yes, yes, yes. I read an article recently that said we should never bring unbelievers to the church because the church is for God's chosen people. Get them saved and THEN bring them into the life of the church.

FollowHim

Aug 22, 2019
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I know that this is a very overarching heading/comment and many will say it is not because of this church and that church and that lot are doing a good job. But that as it may be, and I don't decry the fact, but if one is to be honest with themselves overall, the church is going out backward.

As I said elsewhere I was talking to a friend and he said that his church has no one under 55 years of age and only two teenagers who are children of members. The church of the same denomination in the next town has no one under 50 years of age.

Most of the churches in my area (45) do not have anyone under 40 years of age. In days gone by I cannot remember being part of any church that did not have teenagers in attendance.

To overcome this, I approached both ministers fraternals in both towns about uniting in evangelism projects. The first one said, "Go away, we are the ones paid to do things around here." The second one said, "We don't have time to do evangelism we are too busy running our churches."

The first one I think got upset because I asked them how many people had been saved in the last year amongst all their churches. The answer was three. My reply was "Doesn't that speak for itself."

"You naughty boy. How dare you suggest we are not perfect."

So, why are so many churches stuck in the mud and are controlled by the status quo especially as the NTC saw things like 3,000 getting saved at one meeting?

There must be reasons and answers so let's see what we can come up with. And can I ask that you think about this before adding your thoughts as I would rather not have off the cuff ideas that are shallow?
Greed and self indulgence.
It costs to be real and to preach redemption. It is easier to be a group together with no focus.

Our church is growing, loving, with young people and a focus on the things of Christ. Our life is abiding in Christ.

Facing emotional reality and tough things of life are not what the older generation are good at. Playing roles, hoping for the best, not getting upset is their way. Superficial faith is dying, but real faith is going strong, God bless

marksman

My eldest granddaughter showing the result of her
Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Greed and self indulgence.
It costs to be real and to preach redemption. It is easier to be a group together with no focus.

Our church is growing, loving, with young people and a focus on the things of Christ. Our life is abiding in Christ.

Facing emotional reality and tough things of life are not what the older generation are good at. Playing roles, hoping for the best, not getting upset is their way. Superficial faith is dying, but real faith is going strong, God bless

A thoughtful post. Just one slight correction. I am not hoping for the best. I have it in Jesus Christ. That enables me to cope with anything the world throws at me.

Stan B

Jul 21, 2019
Toronto
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
As I said elsewhere I was talking to a friend and he said that his church has no one under 55 years of age and only two teenagers who are children of members. The church of the same denomination in the next town has no one under 50 years of age.

Most of the churches in my area (45) do not have anyone under 40 years of age. In days gone by I cannot remember being part of any church that did not have teenagers in attendance.
So, why are so many churches stuck in the mud and are controlled by the status quo especially as the NTC saw things like 3,000 getting saved at one meeting?

There must be reasons and answers so let's see what we can come up with. And can I ask that you think about this before adding your thoughts as I would rather not have off the cuff ideas that are shallow?
The reason is, that teenagers are intelligent, and when it comes to hunting, they know the best place to find their prey.

I remember going to church with my son after he finished his undergrad. Our church had a modest congregation of about 400. But on our way to church that morning we passed a church of about 1500. My son said, Why don't we go there?? So we did. They had a whole section of the church filled with teenagers who were there to "connect"!

My future DIL had the same idea. Although they were the best part of an hour away, this is the church to spend her teen years, and that is where my son and DIL first met. That was over 20 years ago. They were a perfect match for one another; a match that could have only happened at that church! Oh!! and my other son married her sister!! :)

Now that their children are coming of age, What to do?? It is a strategy parents will have to work out. I suspect they will take them to the same church, like their parents did before them.

OzSpen

Mar 30, 2015
Brisbane, Qld., Australia
spencer.gear.dyndns.org
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I know that this is a very overarching heading/comment and many will say it is not because of this church and that church and that lot are doing a good job. But that as it may be, and I don't decry the fact, but if one is to be honest with themselves overall, the church is going out backward.

To overcome this, I approached both ministers fraternals in both towns about uniting in evangelism projects. The first one said, "Go away, we are the ones paid to do things around here." The second one said, "We don't have time to do evangelism we are too busy running our churches."

The first one I think got upset because I asked them how many people had been saved in the last year amongst all their churches. The answer was three. My reply was "Doesn't that speak for itself."

marksman,

I suggest you broaden your horizons: 'Christianity's future lies in Africa'.

If you look to what's happening in Australia, it's much like Europe and some parts of USA and Canada. Go to Africa and South America and the scene changes. Why do you think that is?

Oz

Reactions: Pathfinder7

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I think God is finished appeasing religion.

He is determined now to finish the reformation back to the original, Acts 2 church.

Put on your seat belt.

Reactions: Heart2Soul

Earburner

Feb 2, 2019
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

The answers are found in the following scriptures:
Luke 18[8] I tell you that he will avenge them speedily. Nevertheless when the Son of man cometh, shall he find faith on the earth?

2 Thessalonians 2[3] Let no man deceive you by any means: for that day [of Christ's return] shall not come, except there come a falling away first, and that man of sin be revealed, the son of perdition;

Hebrews 11[6] But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him.

> If therefore no one has faith to believe that God is, neither shall they come to repentance to Him through Jesus!
Revelation 9[20] And the rest of the men which were not killed by these plagues yet repented not of *the works of their hands, that they should not worship devils, and idols of gold, and silver, and brass, and stone, and of wood: which neither can see, nor hear, nor walk:

*Note: "the works of their hands" are all our electronic marvels, especially that which I am communicating with now!

Chris1964

Jun 13, 2020
Illinois
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think God is finished appeasing religion.

He is determined now to finish the reformation back to the original, Acts 2 church.

Put on your seat belt.
I think God is doing what Hes always done. Letting things go as they are to see who loves Him. Just like in Deuteronomy where He lets false prophets and false teachers remain. This was so the people who loved Him would demonstrate that by keeping their eyes on God not the false teachers. Same today. Whenever i hear of someone swimming the tiber (becoming catholic) or the ever increasing number of people flat out saying they no longer believe in God, i say good riddance. Its the last days and the battle lines are being drawn. Whose side are we on? Those keeping their eyes on Jesus and doing work of the kingdom won't succumb to the lies of the world. Press on people!

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think God is doing what Hes always done. Letting things go as they are to see who loves Him. Just like in Deuteronomy where He lets false prophets and false teachers remain. This was so the people who loved Him would demonstrate that by keeping their eyes on God not the false teachers. Same today. Whenever i hear of someone swimming the tiber (becoming catholic) or the ever increasing number of people flat out saying they no longer believe in God, i say good riddance. Its the last days and the battle lines are being drawn. Whose side are we on? Those keeping their eyes on Jesus and doing work of the kingdom won't succumb to the lies of the world. Press on people!
I understand completely what you are saying.

I just think it is fishy with this coronavirus thing and the banning of church services.

I hope God is relieving mankind of their reliance of pastors as their source to hear from the real Shepherd.

I hope that folks realize how these folks capitulated to the govt. etc, and that they are not shepherds, because only Jesus is the one Shepherd..

I know if I were Jesus, I would not relinquish my authority to these false shepherds.

Chris1964

Jun 13, 2020
Illinois
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I understand completely what you are saying.

I just think it is fishy with this coronavirus thing and the banning of church services.

I hope God is relieving mankind of their reliance of pastors as their source to hear from the real Shepherd.

I hope that folks realize how these folks capitulated to the govt. etc, and that they are not shepherds, because only Jesus is the one Shepherd..

I know if I were Jesus, I would not relinquish my authority to these false shepherds.
Well, i partially agree. Jesus is the chief shepherd but there are given in the church; apostles, prophets, teachers/pastors...for the equipping of the saints and the building up of the body of Christ. So while God has given us pastors (the greek word means shepherd) they are not our only source of learning. I think one of the many problems in todays christianity is many think its a sunday from 9-12 kinda thing. When it should be a 24/7 kinda thing.

Reactions: Hidden In Him

Agios

Jun 2, 2020
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Agios a very good post. One that is telling us to wake up to reality. I have to admit that the church, in general, is not good at waking up to reality.
It is still living in the past and has a mentality of it you want what we have got you will have to come and get it which as you said does not work.

I want to share an example of going out to where the people are that was amazingly successful. A young man I know from a church I used to attend decided that God was telling him to go to Melbourne every weekend and minister to the homeless. He did this week in and week out, spending all night on the streets. As a result of his ministry, a church began for the homeless. He passed it on to others to run and went to Sydney. The same thing happened there so there are two churches now meeting the needs of the homeless. Nuf zed.

Stepping outside the camp (the church buildings), would be a good thing for sure. After listening to Christians over the years, what they say about their churches, I do see their security lies with their churches, they feel secure when they are inside the building with others, people haven't been able to do that with COVID, so hopefully they find security in God instead (hopefully), not saying everyone is like this, but some people were over the top about not being able to meet. We can still meet God and He's the one who counts, right?

My point being, maybe we need to get back to basics, seek God and His will, not the next best entertainment experience, it's shallow, there isn't anything to hang on to. Most Christians don't even know what the Bible says, let alone share it with others. Getting rid of man made programs, entertainment, prepared sermons and really seeking God would be a start, we need to be empowered by God, imo.

Only God can transform a person, not anything man can entertain them with.

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
We can still meet God and He's the one who counts, right?
True. But that does not mean Christians dismiss gathering for worship. Indeed that is what the Bible teaches. As far as I'm concerned, all churches (of whatever denomination) should totally reject the ban on their meetings and continue meeting as usual. If evildoers can gather in the hundreds or thousands without repercussions, so can Christians. There is now sufficient evidence to disprove all the nonsense about COVID-19.

Reactions: Earburner

Stan B

Jul 21, 2019
Toronto
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
True. But that does not mean Christians dismiss gathering for worship. Indeed that is what the Bible teaches. As far as I'm concerned, all churches (of whatever denomination) should totally reject the ban on their meetings and continue meeting as usual. If evildoers can gather in the hundreds or thousands without repercussions, so can Christians. There is now sufficient evidence to disprove all the nonsense about COVID-19
You are very bold, holding up your middle finger, shaking it in defiance to God and the Law.

"Every person is to be in subjection to the governing authorities. For there is no authority except from God, and those which exist are established by God. Therefore whoever resists authority has opposed the ordinance of God; and they who have opposed will receive condemnation upon themselves." Romans 13

What kind of evil person would suggest what you are suggesting!!?? If you hate God that much, what purpose does attending church serve??

Last edited:

Agios

Jun 2, 2020
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
True. But that does not mean Christians dismiss gathering for worship. Indeed that is what the Bible teaches. As far as I'm concerned, all churches (of whatever denomination) should totally reject the ban on their meetings and continue meeting as usual. If evildoers can gather in the hundreds or thousands without repercussions, so can Christians. There is now sufficient evidence to disprove all the nonsense about COVID-19.
We shouldn't dismiss fellowship and many of the people I know here do zoom meetings. There are many cases throughout the world where the church can not meet at all. I don't think we're judged on if we attended church every Sunday, for there are many people who do so and don't know Christ.

We are judged by our works. What do we do OUTSIDE of a 4 walled in building?

Reactions: Stan B

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
You are very bold, holding up your middle finger, shaking it in defiance to God and the Law.
Actually, you should take a closer look at two things:

1. First of all this whole business of social distancing is totally BOGUS.
"If social distancing was truly responsible for ending epidemics then we would expect it to do so everywhere. The fact that in Manchester and the North West the region saw exponential growth in infections while it was busy socially distancing, and continued growth in infections while in lockdown, suggests that even social distancing may have little – or less than has been thought – impact on the spread of the virus.

That’s certainly the view of Nobel laureate Professor Michael Levitt, who points out that in every country a similar mathematical pattern is observable regardless of government interventions and public responses, so that after around a two-week exponential growth of cases,some kind of brake kicks in that curbs growth."

Has social distancing made much difference after all? | The Conservative Woman

2. Secondly, this Scripture from Acts 4 should be sufficient:
15 But when they had commanded them to go aside out of the council, they conferred among themselves,
16 Saying, What shall we do to these men? for that indeed a notable miracle hath been done by them
is manifest to all them that dwell in Jerusalem; and we cannot deny it.
17 But that it spread no further among the people, let us straitly threaten them, that they speak henceforth to no man in this name.
18 And they called them, and commanded them not to speak at all nor teach in the name of Jesus.
19 But Peter and John answered and said unto them, Whether it be right in the sight of God to hearken unto you more than unto God, judge ye.
20 For we cannot but speak the things which we have seen and heard.
21 So when they had further threatened them, they let them go, finding nothing how they might punish them, because of the people: for all
men glorified God for that which was done.

Christians should be prepared to DEFY Leftist/Communist/Fascist/Totalitarian governments who will try to stop their meetings for worship or muzzle their preaching and teaching publicly.

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
'Absolute monarchy': Catholics, Jews sue over double standards on worship and protests

“The governor and his agents, along with New York City’s mayor have employed favoritism and political platforms against people of faith,” Ferrara added. “Why is a large worship gathering deemed more dangerous than a mass protest, full of shouting, arm-waving people in close proximity to one another?”

'Absolute monarchy': Catholics, Jews sue over double standards on worship and protests - WND

Stan B

Jul 21, 2019
Toronto
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Actually, you should take a closer look at two things:

1. First of all this whole business of social distancing is totally BOGUS.
Christians should be prepared to DEFY Leftist/Communist/Fascist/Totalitarian governments who will try to stop their meetings for worship or muzzle their preaching and teaching publicly.
I have just been reading the Israeli News reporting the results of opening schools. It has caused a major spike in covid in Israel, with 461 students and school staff now being infected.

While you have declared it is our duty to defy God and defy the law, the total absence of any Biblical authority for doing so.

I have also noted the result of Sweden not invoking social distancing, resulting in 4X the infection rate compared to their neighbours in Norway and Finland.

What YOU believe about social distancing is unimportant to me, and what YOU believe about giving God the middle finger is unimportant to me. Iwill follow God's law, not yours!

Last edited:

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well, i partially agree. Jesus is the chief shepherd but there are given in the church; apostles, prophets, teachers/pastors...for the equipping of the saints and the building up of the body of Christ. So while God has given us pastors (the greek word means shepherd) they are not our only source of learning. I think one of the many problems in todays christianity is many think its a sunday from 9-12 kinda thing. When it should be a 24/7 kinda thing.
Pastors are NOT shepherds of Jesus' flock...period.

11 I am the good shepherd: the good shepherd giveth his life for the sheep.....

16 And other sheep I have, which are not of this fold: them also I must bring, and they shall hear my voice; and there shall be one fold, and one shepherd.

Timtofly

Apr 9, 2020
Mount Morris
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The church is dead, because it only gets fed one day a week. The church is supposed to feed the world 7 days a week. This world has figured out how to keep the church busy 95% of the time. God cannot work with 5%.

Reactions: marksman

Earburner

Feb 2, 2019
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

"Every person is to be in subjection to the governing authorities. For there is no authority except from God, and those which exist are established by God. Therefore whoever resists authority has opposed the ordinance of God; and they who have opposed will receive condemnation upon themselves." Romans 13

What kind of evil person would suggest what you are suggesting!!?? If you hate God that much, what purpose does attending church serve??
"What kind of evil person would suggest what you are suggesting!!??"
Ans. A person who IS walking (living) IN the Holy Spirit of God!

Yes, of course, in our flesh, we are to live and abide by the political/civil authorities that are ordained of God, but does that mean that when the political/civil authorities inform me that I must submit and comply to take the MoB, I must do so, in order to "buy or sell"?

No!! I will not be abiding by any such "rule of law" , or economic "guidance", in order to participate in THEIR new methods of a new "crypto currency", economic paradigm.
My "guidance" will be trusting in God's Holy Spirit within me, for my daily provisions.
John 16:13.

LOL!! So yes, THEN I will be "drawing a line in the sand", and guess by which "finger"!!

Wake up, you are still asleep in your flesh, aka your "body of death". Romans 7:24.
John 5
[25] Verily, verily, I say unto you, The hour is coming, and now is, when the dead [in their sins] shall hear the voice of the Son of God: and they that hear shall live.

Have you not yet been born again by God's Holy Spirit? Could it be that you are not in the KoG, but rather still only walking (living) parrallel to it? John 3:3-8