Why John 6:37 is grossly misunderstood and misapplied

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We do receive Christ, only after He receives us. Only after he changes our hearts and wills can we even see and accept Him.

Verses about Man's Depravity
~ Gen. 6:5
~ Gen. 8:21
~ Jer. 17:9
~ Mark 7:21-23

Verses about our Bondage to Sin
~ Jhn. 8:44
~ Jhn 8:34
~ Titus 3:3

Verses about our inability to Change
~ Job 14:4
~ Jer. 13:23
~ Matt. 7:16-18

By all means, explain to me how the sinners described all throughout the Scriptures could ever receive Christ and make the 'correct choice', apart from God changing out wills and actually seeking and doing the saving. I'm all ears.
Simple...when the heavenly Father draws them to Christ through the preaching of the gospel.

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You worship a one person god you call Jesus. Islam calls the same one person god Allah. The Jews call the same one person god YAHWEH. But Christianity is the only religion that worships God in trinity. You want to drag Christ's name away from the Church, call them liars, and say the truth was unknown until the Pentecostals kicked you and your bunch out of their group as heretics in the 1940s.
I believe in the true Trinity. You are a Tritheist.

I believe in a distinction between Father, Son, and Holy Ghost.

Often, when the devil is rebuked, he puts up more of a fight because he wants to prove that the rebuking was to no avail. However, the Holy Ghost is surely going to convict you, @Dave L.

You have now slandered me now at least twenty times telling me and everyone else that I don't believe in the Trinity. I affirm that I do. but apparently you think you know what I believe better than I do. Obviously you are God and know the intricacies of my thought patterns.

D

Dave L

The church has been telling me for millennia that I don't believe in the Trinity? Get a brain!
You do not agree with the ecumenical creeds of Christendom. But with a bunch even the Pentecostals kicked out of their church as heretics in the 1940s.

Mjh29

May 28, 2017
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Because this then makes your choice the saving factor in your conversion, not God's grace, which means you believe that your choice is what saves, which is work's righteousness.

So this means that you believe in work righteousness?

Reactions: Dave L

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There is nothing in the creeds that contradicts my pov, how many times do I have to tell you that? You are simply trying to instigate an angry response out of me.

re #187

D

Dave L

There is nothing in the creeds that contradicts my pov, how many times do I have to tell you that? You are simply trying to instigate an angry response out of me.
You've never read the creeds. And you always hedge on agreeing and would rather attack them when I post them.

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Because this then makes your choice the saving factor in your conversion, not God's grace, which means you believe that your choice is what saves, which is work's righteousness.

So this means that you believe in work righteousness?
It is still the grace of the Lord that saves me, even though I have a choice in the matter; for He died on the Cross and shed forth the Holy Ghost.

We receive the Holy Ghost through faith. Faith is not works, they are mutually exclusive.

However, God gives the Holy Ghost to those who obey Him (Acts 5:32).

The grace of God comes in in that He gives the Holy Ghost to those who ask Him for the Holy Ghost (Luke 11:9-13).

If you don't make the decision to ask, well, I'm sorry, you are out of luck.

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You've never read the creeds. And you always hedge on agreeing and would rather attack them when I post them.
I have read the creeds.

In my understanding there is exception to some of your statements, but the creeds generally do agree with my understanding.

And what I hedge on agreeing with is not the creeds themselves, but your understanding of them.

Mjh29

May 28, 2017
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It is still the grace of the Lord that saves me, even though I have a choice in the matter; for He died on the Cross and shed forth the Holy Ghost.

We receive the Holy Ghost through faith. Faith is not works, they are mutually exclusive.

However, God gives the Holy Ghost to those who obey Him (Acts 5:32).

The grace of God comes in in that He gives the Holy Ghost to those who ask Him for the Holy Ghost (Luke 11:9-13).

If you don't make the decision to ask, well, I'm sorry, you are out of luck.

Here is the problem; God's grace is conditional upon your correct choices, which means that it cannot be the grace that saves you. If you have to choose the grace, then your choice is the root and therefore cause of your salvation, not the grace itself. And faith, by your definition has to be a work; is it not something that you must do? If it is, not matter what you may want to call it, it is a work. So even if you say we choose faith, and then by faith grace, then we are still the root of our conversion, which is works righteousness.

So you believe in works righteousness?

Reactions: Dave L
D

Dave L

I have read the creeds.

In my understanding there is exception to some of your statements, but the creeds generally do agree with my understanding.

And what I hedge on agreeing with is not the creeds themselves, but your understanding of them.
Possibly you've read a few excerpts since we first began this discussion. But you in no way reflect what they say in your Sabellianism.

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Here is the problem; God's grace is conditional upon your correct choices, which means that it cannot be the grace that saves you. If you have to choose the grace, then your choice is the root and therefore cause of your salvation, not the grace itself. And faith, by your definition has to be a work; is it not something that you must do? If it is, not matter what you may want to call it, it is a work. So even if you say we choose faith, and then by faith grace, then we are still the root of our conversion, which is works righteousness.

Jesus stands at the door and knocks. If you open the door, He will come in and sup with you and you with Him.

The grace is in that He comes in and dwells within us when we open the door; so we are not saving ourselves; He is saving us by coming in to our hearts when we ask Him to.

This is not works but a response of faith.

Mat 7:7, Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you:
Mat 7:8, For every one that asketh receiveth; and he that seeketh findeth; and to him that knocketh it shall be opened.

Mjh29

May 28, 2017
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus stands at the door and knocks. If you open the door, He will come in and sup with you and you with Him.

The grace is in that He comes in and dwells within us when we open the door; so we are not saving ourselves; He is saving us by coming in to our hearts when we ask Him to.

This is not works but a response of faith.

But of course you have to open the door, which means that it your opening of the door that saves you, not the grace you receive afterwards. This means that it was your work of opening the door that saved you...

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Possibly you've read a few excerpts since we first began this discussion. But you in no way reflect what they say in your Sabellianism.
You say that I believe in Sabellianism.

I believe in the Trinity with an emphasis on the Oneness of the Lord, based on scripture.

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
But of course you have to open the door, which means that it your opening of the door that saves you, not the grace you receive afterwards. This means that it was your work of opening the door that saved you...

Rev 3:20, Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: if any man hear my voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and will sup with him, and he with me.

Also, I edited #195 (Why John 6:37 is grossly misunderstood and misapplied)

Last edited:

Mjh29

May 28, 2017
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Rev 3:20, Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: if any man hear my voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and will sup with him, and he with me.

Yes! And who allows us to hear? Who opens our ears to the truth? The Holy Spirit. The Spirit changes our wills and makes us willing to hear the knock, and makes us willing to sit and eat with Christ. The faith we receive is given to us by the spirit by grace, and thus opens our eyes to the knock of Christ.

D

Dave L

You say that I believe in Sabellianism.

I believe in the Trinity with an emphasis on the Oneness of the Lord, based on scripture.
If you believe in the trinity doctrine as stated in the early or later Christian creeds, say so.