Why Study Bible Prophecy

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Trekson

Jul 24, 2012
Kentucky
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If you were to consider the biblical prophecies as mostly symbolic, than I understand why a person could get frustrated trying to understand things that could have a myriad of possibilities to their fulfillment. Personally, while acknowledging some symbolism is used, I believe in taking the literal approach. If I were to break it down I would say that biblical prophecy in general is 90% literal and 10% symbolic but usually with an explanation given for the symbolism somewhere later in the text.

The most obvious reason to study bible prophecy is in obedience to this verse: 2 Tim. 2:15 – “Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.”

I believe the implication is that we are to study the whole of scripture, not just the parts that are easy or seem obvious to the Christian life. Another reason is this verse: 1 Pet. 3:15 – “But sanctify the Lord God in your hearts: and be ready always to give an answer to every man that asketh you a reason of the hope that is in you with meekness and fear:”

Of course having a knowledge of how to present the gospel is important but that’s only the beginning, people will want to know, what’s coming next! Picture this scenario: Poverty levels are at an all-time high, famine and starvation are on the rise, the world economies are collapsing, an earth-destroying war looms on the horizon, there is rioting and looting going on in almost every major city and there you sit seemingly not fazed by any of it. People will ask you, “Why aren’t you scared to death?” “Why are you so calm?” “Why do have a reason for hope?”

Your answer should be, that you’ve been expecting all this as it was prophesied in the bible, thousands of years ago! It hasn’t caught you by surprise because your hope is in God and not in man. You have taken this verse to heart: Titus 2:13 – “Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ.”

The “blessed hope” isn’t in the timing of His return, it’s in the fact of it! Why were you expecting all this in the first place, some might ask and you should be able to reply that the bible practically gives us a play-by-play account of how the end times will unfold and you should be able to tell them.

We also have this verse: 2 Thess. 2:3 – “Let no man deceive you by any means: for that day shall not come, except there come a falling away first…”

This is known as the “apostasy” and don’t deceive yourself into believing that this is some organized religion like Catholicism or the worldliness of some of the Church in general. For someone to become apostate that had to have had a relationship with God to begin with. They have to do a complete 180 in their beliefs. So when these things begin to happen and people start asking questions, these answers will be unacceptable: “Uh, I don’t know, my pastor taught us that we’d be out of here by now” or “I don’t know, I never thought it important enough to study.”

To be fore-warned is to be fore-armed and the scripture says: Hosea 4:6 – “My people are destroyed for lack of knowledgeThe latter days Church may be the world’s and some Christian’s who may have lost faith, last hope in hearing the gospel message and in being prepared, in all areas, why we have this hope in Christ to begin with and that’s why an understanding of eschatology is vital for all believers.

If you were to take a poll on any given street in America and ask those you spoke to if they have ever heard of various biblical end-times terms such as; the rapture, the millennium or tribulation period, I’m sure most of them would reply in the affirmative. While they may not know exactly what those words meant, the words would be familiar to them.
If you were to ask them their opinions about bible prophecies, the answers would range from them being fairy tales to being the absolute truth from God and everywhere in between, most, however, would agree that the topic holds some interest for them. There have been many tele-vision documentaries about this subject with the majority of them being one-sided affairs against the probability of these prophetic events, mostly from the Book of Revelation, ever actually occurring. The consensus among the intellectuals they interview is; they are either symbolic in nature or just a bad dream from a lunatic named John. The bible does mention that there would be scoffers in the latter days.

Eschatology is the official word that means, the study of end-time events and the purpose of this is to explore what the bible has to say about the end-times, especially the Book of the Revelation of Jesus Christ. This is the proper name but from here on I will simply refer to it as Revelations as that is how most of us refer to it anyways. Many have been taught that it is too difficult to understand on your own but it is not. These are Christ’s last words to His church and He really wants you to understand it, but it does take some study and research to fully comprehend all that He is warning us about. He doesn’t want the church to approach this subject lightly. Revelations is the only book in the bible that offers a special blessing to those who read and understand it:

Rev. 1:3 “ “Blessed is the one who reads the words of this prophecy, and blessed are those who hear it and take to heart what is written in it, because the time is near.” (NIV)

The bible is loaded with prophetic scriptures in both the old and new testaments. Many prophets foretold of the coming of Christ, the Messiah of Israel. There are over forty OT prophecies that were fulfilled in the life of Jesus Christ. These prophecies were given hundreds and in a few cases, thousands of years before His birth. The test as to whether a prophet is of God or not is, 100% accuracy. The biblical prophets have all passed this test so far, however there are several prophecies remaining to be fulfilled.

Old testament prophets such as Daniel, Ezekiel, Isaiah, Joel and Zechariah and NT authors such as Matthew, Mark, Luke, Peter, Paul and of course John all wrote about what would happen in the last days or the end of the age. There is an abundance of “doom and gloom” in these prophecies but there are blessings, rewards and victory there as well.
People either believe in Christ’s claim, that He was the Son of God or they just consider Him a great Teacher equal to Buddha, Confucius, Mohammed, etc. The problem with this view is also the difference between Christianity and all other religions. These other teachers all said that if you follow this path, you will find enlightenment or if you travel this way you will find Nirvana but the interesting thing is that you can go visit each of their graves and wonder if they were truly satisfied.

Jesus Christ, however, is the only one who said: “I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man comes to the Father, but by me.” John 14:6. (NIV) (emphasis mine) You can’t, however, visit Christ’s grave because He is risen and has ascended up to heaven until the appointed time of His return.

In the near future all humanity will have to decide whether they will follow Christ or an imposter we have come to call, the Anti-Christ. I urge you to not take this topic lightly because I believe we will see the culmination of these prophecies in our lifetime. The world is heading towards destruction at an alarming rate. No previous period in history has seen so many world-wide changes in war, economics, weather, geography, seismology, politics or religion than has the twentieth century. Now that we are in the twenty-first century the pace is ever increasing towards the fulfillment of God’s plan.

Remember; 2 Peter 3:9 - “The Lord is not slow in keeping his promise, as some understand slowness. He is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance.” (NIV)

God doesn’t want anyone to perish or die, however that is the fate for those who continue to reject the truth that Jesus Christ is His Son and refuse to worship Him as such. When man first sinned in the personhood of Adam, through the temptation of Satan, God declared that man’s sin could only be covered by a blood sacrifice. God set up a plan whereby all mankind could receive forgiveness for their sins through the life and death of one man. One perfect man who had never sinned. There was only one problem. Mankind, since the fall, has possessed a basic sin nature that renders him incapable of perfection. Seeing as how humanity can never evolve to the point of being totally sinless, who could ever be the perfect sacrifice?

Jesus, being part of the Godhead said, in effect, “Here I am Father, send me” and God in His bountiful goodness and mercy towards man said He would. The only thing left was to await God’s perfect timing so the forces of evil would be thoroughly defeated.

God waited as history unfolded then founded a nation, through a righteous man named Abraham and called it Israel. This would be the bloodline through which Jesus Christ would be born for the benefit of sinful humanity. As history continued to unfold, he spoke to several of His faithful servants and told them to write down the words that He spoke to them. This is how the book we call the bible was created. Included were the stories of creation and how God first judged the earth and destroyed most of humanity because of their wickedness. We know this story as Noah and the Ark. Other inclusions are historic accounts of the nation of Israel, the Ten Commandments and biographies of various personages throughout Israeli history. After thou-sands of years; the time finally came for the Messiah to be born but despite all the prophecies that He fulfilled in His lifetime; the nation of Israel rejected Him as Messiah. That rejection paved the way for the salvation of all of humanity. They rejected him because many of the prophecies about the Messiah were not fulfilled during His life on earth. They didn’t realize that His coming was a two stage event, first as the suffering Messiah, then as the conquering Messiah.

Presently, the prophecies seem to tell us that we are nearing the time of His second advent (coming). The time when prophesied events will begin and Christians the world over should be watching as all the signs He forewarned us about; begin to occur.

boldncourageous

Dec 6, 2014
You got 2 Peter 3:9, but vs.10-16 hit home the strongest for me.

10 But the day of the Lord will come as a thief in the night, in which the heavens will pass away with a great noise, and the elements will melt with fervent heat; both the earth and the works that are in it will be burned up. 11 Therefore, since all these things will be dissolved, what manner of persons ought you to be in holy conduct and godliness, 12 looking for and hastening the coming of the day of God, because of which the heavens will be dissolved, being on fire, and the elements will melt with fervent heat? 13 Nevertheless we, according to His promise, look for new heavens and a new earth in which righteousness dwells. 14 Therefore, beloved, looking forward to these things, be diligent to be found by Him in peace, without spot and blameless; 15 and consider that the longsuffering of our Lord is salvation--as also our beloved brother Paul, according to the wisdom given to him, has written to you, 16 as also in all his epistles, speaking in them of these things, in which are some things hard to understand, which untaught and unstable people twist to their own destruction, as they do also the rest of the Scriptures. 17 You therefore, beloved, since you know this beforehand, beware lest you also fall from your own steadfastness, being led away with the error of the wicked; 18 but grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. To Him be the glory both now and forever. Amen. NKJV

Interesting that in the context of eschatology, Peter states that those who don't get it correctly, twist the Scriptures as they always do. That in essence tells me the foundational nature of the doctrine of eschatology.

Retrobyter

Oct 29, 2011
Tampa Bay, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Shalom, Trekson.

The best reason for studying prophecy is to take Yeshua`s warnings to heart. It changes how a person will act and react to situations around him. When one understands the brevity of life and the soon return of our Master, it colors how a person lives from day to day. We should be anticipating the Return like a little child anticipates Christmas! How much longer ’til the Resurrection?!

pom2014

Dec 6, 2014
" We should be anticipating the Return like a little child anticipates Christmas! How much longer ’til the Resurrection?!"

I find this repugnant and a violation of the second great command.

To be excited by the impending death of your lost family members is repulsive.

Retrobyter

Oct 29, 2011
Tampa Bay, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Shalom, pom2014.

pom2014 said:
" We should be anticipating the Return like a little child anticipates Christmas! How much longer ’til the Resurrection?!"

I find this repugnant and a violation of the second great command.

To be excited by the impending death of your lost family members is repulsive.
Nonsense. Who said anything about being excited by death?! I said that we look THROUGH death toward the RESURRECTION! (And, that’s the resurrection of our FLESH, btw!)

[email protected]

Choir Loft
Apr 2, 2009
West Central Florida
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
The Biblical definition of 'prophecy' is not confined to predicting the future.

When the Holy Spirit fell upon King Saul (1 Samuel 10:9-10) he 'prophesied' - meaning to glorify the Lord, to speak wisdom and to illuminate the Word of God with His truth. Typically, then, the prophetic word was one that encouraged the people and gave them the impassioned push to go out and live righteously.

But why study Bible prophecy? Apart from knowing the content of the Good Book, I submit that it is the least challenging topic these days. One can study eschatology all day and all night and not be required to actually DO anything with one's life. It's rather like reading a comic book. It's really entertaining, but has little literary value and fewer moral implications.

Why? Because everything is either in the future or in debate. Either way one can safely consider all the various spins and forecasts without any sort of moral requirement at all. Christian predictions can be studied by anyone, including atheists and hardened sociopaths without fear of conviction of anything. The most flagrant violation of any sort of moral conviction and Christian principle, for example, is the dogma of the rapture.

The rapture convicts no one of sin, encourages no one to live rightly and threatens no one with judgment simply because its all about escaping the odds. Those who hold to rapture dogma have accepted the tale and use scripture to justify it, instead of studying scripture to see where it will lead. Typically scripture leads to Godly living - not wallowing in fantasy. It is for this reason that Jesus told His disciples it wouldn't happen.

"My prayer is not that you take them out of the world but that you protect them from the evil one."
- John 17:15

What part of NOT, does the rapturist NOT understand?

The study of Biblical prophecy is the Christian equivalent of the satisfaction of tickling ears spoken of by St. Paul. While the Greeks of Paul's day listened to other voices about other things, today's ear is pointed at fiction and fantasy - always looking at tomorrow and not concerned with the effort of today and how those actions may truly impact the future. Indeed, the Christian has a hope for a glorious future with Christ, but it is TODAY that Jesus is most concerned with. NOW is the day of salvation. NOW is the time to make peace with Christ.

Nobody cares much for today any more. The daily news is too gruesome. Our attention is focused elsewhere upon electronic gadgets, celebrity worship, and false gospels that do nothing except to pour resources of time and effort into a black hole of empty expectation. It's all about escapism, not about living for God and what that entails. The ultimate escapist mental 'fix' isn't the latest episode of Star Wars or Marvel comic, it's yet another version of the rapture tale. It is an extreme act of escapist cowardice. It profits one nothing.

When the future really does arrive, many will find it completely different from what they expected or predicted - and we will all be here to greet it.

and that's me, hollering from the choir loft...

Prophecy Countdown

Aug 4, 2014
It seems to me that nothing much, regarding some attitudes has changed concerning the testimony of Jesus, which is the spirit of prophecy ( Rev 12:17. 19:10 ) from a few thousand years ago. Those that keep the commandments and worship GOD and have the testimony of Jesus, Satan will target.
Way back negative words were spoken about prophecy, see Isaiah 30: 10. Today prophecy is given little attention or made out to be allegorical if not understood. Without the prophetic timed events being understood and seeing the patterns and parallels of Revelation, Daniel, Jeremiah, Zechariah, Matthew, Mark, Luke Isaiah, Joel, Ezekiel and others bringing them all together in harmony letting the scriptures explaining themselves will open eyes of the church body, which seem to be blind and the body stumbling. Daniel 12: 4 makes it clear that the book of Daniel is sealed until the time of the end but it also says knowledge will be increased which can also be related to 2 Timothy 2: 15.
I only have an I-pad at the moment, which makes it difficult in responding on the net so I do apologies for not quoting scripture in full.
PC
How the scriptures can explain themselves and identify the little horn?
When we see Daniel 8: 9 -10. We see the little horn' who casts some of the stars out of Heaven. Next in Revelation 1: 20 we read that the stars can mean angels. It is Revelation 12: 1 - 6, 9 that we are told that it is the red dragon/Satan that casts the stars/angels out of Heaven down to the Earth at the time of baby Jesus.
PC
Why is prophecy so very important you may ask.
How can the Time Of The End Signs and Last End warnings through His testimony being the spirit of prophecy be seen coming unless understood through prayerful pleading and diligent study after which we are made responsible to his people as watchmen, see Ezekiel 33: 1 - 9.
Since there are those that say studying lets them 'not to be required to do anything with one's life,' or 'that it is the last challenging topic these days,' and ' it's really entertaining but has little value and fewer moral implications.' Unquote.
These persons are unaware of the clear responsibilities we as His servants are required to undertake knowing prophecy, the warning ramifications from our Lord makes it manifestly clear what is required of me as a watchman not by choice but by what is said by our LORD'S own testimony, which is fearful.
Why would Satan come after certain people with a detailed description concerning what they do about the commandments and know about prophecy?
Revelation 12: 17. "And the dragon was wroth with the woman, and went to make war with the remnant of her seed, which keep the commandments of God, and have the testimony of Jesus Christ."

The Testimony Of Jesus Christ is prophecy.
Revelation 19: 10. "And I fell to his feet to worship him. And he said unto me, see thou do it not: I am of thy brethren who have the testimony of Jesus. Worship God! For the testimony of Jesus is the spirit of prophecy."

As I said earlier nothing much has changed about the attitude against the Lord's testimony.
But be assured if Satan comes after any person then they know that they are on the right side.
PC.