not necessarily Preterism

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sometimes it is honestly thought that I'm a Preterist for believing in the historical interpretation of the Olivet Discourse.
I thought that's what "preterist" meant, that some prophecies have already been fulfilled. I don't see it as name calling, just labeling.

You believe that the Olivette Discourse has been historically fulfilled, that is preterism, I believe it has future fulfillment, that's futurism.

Much love!

Randy Kluth

Apr 27, 2020
Pacific NW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I've given up on labels. Happy Easter Randy!
I've wondered how you were doing, and worried that when I commented on your great videos that I left a negative impression? I really liked them, and commenting on them only indicated that they did a good job of provoking thought and real interest. I hope you and yours enjoy Easter as well! :)

Truth7t7

Jan 2, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No, you're a living example of what I'm talking about. But I already explained the differences. I don't know whether you're just rebellious or you just don't get it?

I'm not a Partial Preterist because I don't believe the book of Revelation, Antichrist, or the Salvation of Israel were already fulfilled. And I'm a Premillennial. Partial Preterists believe these things were fulfilled in the past and are not Premillennialists.

As I've already pointed out, those who view much of the Olivet Discourse in an historical way were *not* Preterists before Louis of Alcazar came along (1554–1613). The Church Fathers, who held to this view, were *not* Preterists, though they and you may want to read that school back into the past, where it did not yet exist.
Preterism is gaged in the events of the Olivet Discourse seen in Matthew chapter 24, do you believe Daniel's AOD Matt 24:15 or the Great Tribulation Matthew 24:21 has taken place already?

Last edited:

Randy Kluth

Apr 27, 2020
Pacific NW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Preterism is gaged in the events of the Olivet Discourse seen in Matthew chapter 24, do you believe Daniel's AOD Matt 24:15 or the Great Tribulation Matthew 24:21 has taken place already?
I can't make you understand.

Randy Kluth

Apr 27, 2020
Pacific NW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I thought that's what "preterist" meant, that some prophecies have already been fulfilled. I don't see it as name calling, just labeling.

You believe that the Olivette Discourse has been historically fulfilled, that is preterism, I believe it has future fulfillment, that's futurism.

Much love!
Yes, Truth doesn't get it either, apparently. I'm trying not to judge. But I know you normally mean well, so I'll try to explain again.

Preterism isn't defined simply by believing some prophecies have been fulfilled in the past. Do you believe that Jesus fulfilled prophecy at the cross? Of course you do. Does that make you a Preterist? No, of course not.

You see, Preterism is a system of interpretation introduced by Louis of Alcazar (in the modern era), and it involved much more than just seeing prophecies fulfilled in the past. It was more than seeing the Olivet Discourse fulfilled in 70 AD. Instead, it was an entire system of prophetic interpretation in which most *everything* is viewed as fulfilled in the time right after the earthly ministry of Christ.

Obviously, those who believe that prophecy is still being fulfilled today are not Preterists. Preterism is *not* just those who believe the AoD was the Roman Army. Preterism is not just those who believe that the "beginning signs" of the Olivet Discourse were fulfilled in Jesus' generation.

Much more, Preterism sees the book of Revelation, as well as the Antichrist, as fulfilled in the time of the ancient Roman Empire and the Early Church. It is a system of prophetic interpretation in which it views most all of prophecy fulfilled in that time period, whether the Antichrist or Israel's Salvation.

The view that the Olivet Discourse was largely fulfilled historically in 70 AD is therefore *not* owned by Preterism, which is a school of prophetic interpretation which came centuries after the Early Church Fathers who largely believed in the historical interpretation of the Olivet Discourse.

It's sad that there are so many misinformed about this, and so it needs to be carefully and patiently explained. Many do not give it 2 thoughts because they don't hold to anything but Futurism regardless.

I consider myself a Futurist interpreter, except that I agree with the Church Fathers that the AoD was the Roman Army, just as Dan 9.26-27 appears to suggest. I also hold to *future* interpretations of biblical prophecy, including the Antichrist, the Salvation of Israel, and the Millennium. I hope you get it?

Truth7t7

Jan 2, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I can't make you understand.
Your a (Partial Preterist) get over it, we have been posting for years I know your doctrine

You will closely note you didn't answer the questions in post #23

Jesus Is The Lord

Randy Kluth

Apr 27, 2020
Pacific NW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Your a (Partial Preterist) get over it, we have been posting for years I know your doctrine

You will closely note you didn't answer the questions in post #23

Jesus Is The Lord
No, you still don't get it. You don't respond to any of the points I made. I've answered all of your questions.

If you know my doctrines, you already know my answers. Yes, I believe the AoD is the Roman Army, which is something I've said many times.

So I will ask you a question: Did you know that most of the Church Fathers also believed that the AoD was fulfilled in the Roman judgment against Jerusalem in 70 AD or thereabouts? If so, do you identify them as Preterists because of this?

If you identify the Church Fathers as Preterists for believing the AoD is the Roman Army or something in that time period I have good reason to ignore you. Preterism did not exist at that time.

Reactions: WPM and covenantee

covenantee

Feb 22, 2022
Canada
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Alcazar's Vestigatio arcani sensus in Apocalypsi was a commentary on Revelation which attempted to identify The Antichrist as other than the apostate papacy.

His commentary did not deal with Matthew 24.

Last edited:
Reactions: WPM

Randy Kluth

Apr 27, 2020
Pacific NW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Alcazar's Vestigatio arcani sensus in Apocalypsi was a commentary on Revelation which attempted to identify The Antichrist as other than the apostate papacy.

Thankyou. I've never studied Preterism, so I appreciate the deeper knowledge. :)

Reactions: covenantee

CadyandZoe

May 17, 2020
Phoenix
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I've wondered how you were doing, and worried that when I commented on your great videos that I left a negative impression? I really liked them, and commenting on them only indicated that they did a good job of provoking thought and real interest. I hope you and yours enjoy Easter as well! :)
Thank you Randy. I've been discouraged of late and haven't produced any videos. I appreciate your kind words. I've been thinking about producing more videos. I'll let you know.

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Thank you Randy. I've been discouraged of late and haven't produced any videos. I appreciate your kind words. I've been thinking about producing more videos. I'll let you know.
Imo, you have been discouraged because the enemy hates Gods truth,...stand on God’s word and post those videos that you believe he has placed on your heart to post.

If I’ve got the wrong end of the stick, apologies....I love reading your posts and I’ve learnt a lot from them,as in , the Lord has spoken to me through them...keep posting the word of God...he is number one and only LISTEN to HIM!...

Reactions: CadyandZoe

Randy Kluth

Apr 27, 2020
Pacific NW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thanks brother. About the only good thing I can say about times that are negative is that we tend to become more real and learn deeper truths. Looking forward to seeing more from you, the Lord willing.

Reactions: CadyandZoe

Truth7t7

Jan 2, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No, you still don't get it. You don't respond to any of the points I made. I've answered all of your questions.

If you know my doctrines, you already know my answers. Yes, I believe the AoD is the Roman Army, which is something I've said many times.

So I will ask you a question: Did you know that most of the Church Fathers also believed that the AoD was fulfilled in the Roman judgment against Jerusalem in 70 AD or thereabouts? If so, do you identify them as Preterists because of this?

If you identify the Church Fathers as Preterists for believing the AoD is the Roman Army or something in that time period I have good reason to ignore you. Preterism did not exist at that time.
Yes you believe Daniel's AOD Matthew 24:15 took place in 70AD "Fulfilled" and you believe in a future second coming of Jesus Christ

You're (Partial Preterist) in your belief of Daniel's AOD alone, you can claim otherwise all you want (Partial Preterist)

Preterism is looked at through the window of Matthew chapter 24 and the Olivet discourse, in relationship to the three items below

(Partial Preterist) believe 1 or 2 of the events below have been fulfilled

(Full Preterist) believe all of the 3 events below have been fulfilled

(Futurist) believe none of the 3 events below have been fulfilled

1.) Matthew 24:15 Daniel's AOD
2.) Matthew 24:21 The Great Tribulation
3.) Matthew 24:30 The Second Coming

Last edited:

Truth7t7

Jan 2, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I fully agree, and his work is outside the definition of what is seen in a preterist today

The Olivet Discourse in the "3 questions" below determines a person's eschatology beliefs, it's that simple

Randy and yourself are (Partial Preterist) my belief is (Futurist) Its that simple, my feelings aren't hurt are yours?

Preterism is looked at through the window of Matthew chapter 24 and the Olivet discourse, in relationship to the three items below

Truth7t7

Jan 2, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Much love!
Well stated!

Yes it's that simple, Randy believes Daniel's AOD Matthew 24:15 was fulfilled in 70AD (Partial Preterist) and we believe it's future, we are (Futurist) simple as sliced bread

Randy Kluth

Apr 27, 2020
Pacific NW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes you believe Daniel's AOD Matthew 24:15 took place in 70AD "Fulfilled" and you believe in a future second coming of Jesus Christ

You're (Partial Preterist) in your belief of Daniel's AOD alone, you can claim otherwise all you want (Partial Preterist)

I hold *some* beliefs in common with Mormons and JWs, but that does not make me one of them. I have friends in many more orthodox denominations, but that does not make me a member of them. To belong to a particular school of eschatology, there are certain things you must believe--not just hold some beliefs in common. You don't understand this. Sorry!

Perhaps the lines between the schools, Futurist, Historicist, and Preterist are not that clear to you? You seem to have a very limited view of Preterism, and a very limited view of Futurism.

I do not agree that Preterism is defined strictly by the historical view of the Olivet Discourse. I do not agree that Futurism excludes the historical view of the Olivet Discourse. We will continue to disagree on these matters, though I will admit that there is the tendency to lump these groups together in the way you look at them. Have a nice Easter!

Last edited:
Reactions: covenantee

Truth7t7

Jan 2, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Not completely true. Alcazar sought to identify The Antichrist as Nero. So does Preterism today.

I'm historicist.

The eschatology of the Reformation.
Reformed theology "Historicism" is "Preterist"

You believe 70AD in Roman armies destruction fulfilled Daniel's AOD?

Truth7t7

Jan 2, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Have a nice Easter!
I don't celebrate "Easterly" it's of pagan origin in spring fertility rites and has nothing to do with biblical instruction, same applies to Christmas in the pagan winter solstice and rebirth of the sun

CadyandZoe

May 17, 2020
Phoenix
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Imo, you have been discouraged because the enemy hates Gods truth,...stand on God’s word and post those videos that you believe he has placed on your heart to post.

If I’ve got the wrong end of the stick, apologies....I love reading your posts and I’ve learnt a lot from them,as in , the Lord has spoken to me through them...keep posting the word of God...he is number one and only LISTEN to HIM!...
Thank you for your words of encouragement. :)

• Love
Reactions: Ritajanice