Why the cross actually saves

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Preacher4Truth

Feb 15, 2019
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In the sense that men have tried to tempt Him, yes; but in the sense that God could have sinned, no...!

"Jesus said unto him, It is written again, Thou shalt not tempt the Lord thy God." Matt 4:7

OK, you answered a question! So, YHWH can't sin?

CoreIssue

Oct 15, 2018
USA
christiantalkzone.net
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Satan tempted Christ the man. Not God his Spirit.

And yes, God can do evil, but he won't.

He has free will which he shared with us.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sigh...now you're misusing "respecter of persons." Try to use Scripture correctly instead of just liberally misapplying many texts. 2 Timothy 2:15?
So you have defined precisely what is meant the scripture reads that God is no respecter of persons. Is this wise?

I guess I am outside of your theological position. Sorry!

"And further, by these, my son, be admonished: of making many books there is no end; and much study is a weariness of the flesh." Ecc 12:12

Can you answer the question? It was plain and simple.
Thank you.
You already have my answer.

Preacher4Truth

Feb 15, 2019
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So you have defined precisely what is meant the scripture reads that God is no respecter of persons. Is this wise?

You're not making sense. You've misused respecter of persons. Study what it really means, you're using a common misunderstanding as a definition.

I guess I am outside of your theological position. Sorry!

Ok.

"And further, by these, my son, be admonished: of making many books there is no end; and much study is a weariness of the flesh." Ecc 12:12

Is this some sort of jab for being studious? Yes, it is!

2 Timothy 2:15? All it is saying is study is hard, not that it's wrong. You should try it!

Certainly God will not take a jab at anyone for study, and much of the problem today is that too many don't and think ignorance is to be spiritual. Let's not help facilitate such a notion! The Scripture is to be studied, not used flippantly as you are doing. No offense meant, but that is what you're doing. Have more respect for God's word, sir.

You already have my answer.

No, not yet, your next post proves this. :)

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Methinks you're being disingenuous. And what's wrong with being theologians? You are one, by the way.
I did not say it wrong to be one. I said it was not necessary. If a person with mediocre or even below average mental ability loves God and has faith and Him and in His Son, is he lost with understanding all of the details?

If a believer in God and His Son knows more than the average person, does not God require more of him than of the average person?

"But he that knew not, and did commit things worthy of stripes, shall be beaten with few stripes. For unto whomsoever much is given, of him shall be much required: and to whom men have committed much, of him they will ask the more." Luke 12:48

"Then said Jesus unto his disciples, Verily I say unto you, That a rich man shall hardly enter into the kingdom of heaven.
And again I say unto you, It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God." Matt 19:23-24

Of course Jesus speaks of material riches here, but he also speaks of people too rich in their own abilities or talents or education or etc....

The judgment of each person ultimately will be based on what he has done with all that he has been given: time, education, opportunity, material riches, high IQ, place of birth, position of natural parents... of the lack in each of these and all the rest that God has provided...

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You're not making sense. You've misused respecter of persons. Study what it really means, you're using a common misunderstanding as a definition.

Am I?

Is this some sort of jab for being studious? Yes, it is!
2 Timothy 2:15? All it is saying is study is hard, not that it's wrong. You should try it!

God requires us to study but that is to be obedient as per that verse, but the following verse describes where one receives truth.

"But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you." John 14:6

The verse, II Tim 2:15 explains the need to eat His Flesh ,but without also drinking the Blood the result will be as per the Ecc 12:12 I quoted above...

Certainly God will not take a jab at anyone for study, and much of the problem today is that too many don't and think ignorance is to be spiritual. Let's not help facilitate such a notion! The Scripture is to be studied, not used flippantly as you are doing. No offense meant, but that is what you're doing. Have more respect for God's word, sir.
For many years I studied presuming that I learned the scriptures well enough it would be like attending a university to obtain a degree. God does not work that way. God showed me another way...

The study as I said is necessary for obedience, NOT to learn God's Way and to eventually become like Him. If that were so, the most intelligent and studious Bible students would be the ones closest to God. That is NOT how God works. Again He is no respecter of persons. His judgment is in accord with what person has or has not done with what was given or available to him.

Preacher4Truth

Feb 15, 2019
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I did not say it wrong to be one. I said it was not necessary.

You used a verse to belittle it, so yes, in essence you said it is wrong to be a theologian, and all the while you give us your theology. Everyone is a theologian. Or, can you tell me about Jesus without theology? My guess is, you think you can, and think it is not needed. Wrong, sir.

And, you're incorrect on theology, being a theologian, it is necessary; 2 Timothy 2:15. There are many more passages, and everyone can study and learn, because it is God who imparts the things of the Spirit to man; 1 Corinthians 2:14. God makes the unlearned learned, note carefully 1 Corinthians 1:26-31.

If a person with mediocre or even below average mental ability loves God and has faith and Him and in His Son, is he lost with understanding all of the details?
If a believer in God and His Son knows more than the average person, does not God require more of him than of the average person?

"But he that knew not, and did commit things worthy of stripes, shall be beaten with few stripes. For unto whomsoever much is given, of him shall be much required: and to whom men have committed much, of him they will ask the more." Luke 12:48

Now you're talking about a different subject and offering a straw man argument. This discussion isn't about salvation and just think for a minute about what you're saying -- you're equating theological understanding with salvation. You're making several errors here.

And another mistake you are making which is glaring: All saved know who the true Christ is; John 8:24. Those who do not agree with the biblical Christ are not believers. You've said they are, in the past, Christ says they are not. Do we need this theology? Yes. Do we need to ask who is correct, you or Christ?

"Then said Jesus unto his disciples, Verily I say unto you, That a rich man shall hardly enter into the kingdom of heaven.
And again I say unto you, It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God." Matt 19:23-24

Of course Jesus speaks of material riches here, but he also speaks of people too rich in their own abilities or talents or education or etc....

You're all over the place, the above is yet another subject...

The judgment of each person ultimately will be based on what he has done with all that he has been given: time, education, opportunity, material riches, high IQ, place of birth, position of natural parents... of the lack in each of these and all the rest that God has provided...

Sooooo...you see each person being judged by their works, or, works salvation?

Nope. Concerning salvation all will be judged as either in Christ, or not in Christ. There are no degrees of status in Christ, we are all one.

Preacher4Truth

Feb 15, 2019
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Yes, you most certainly are.

God requires us to study but that is to be obedient as per that verse, but the following verse describes where one receives truth.

"But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you." John 14:6

That is to the apostles. Context. God is not revealing truth in this way to men today. Today we have his revealed will via completed Scripture.

The verse, II Tim 2:15 explains the need to eat His Flesh ,but without also drinking the Blood the result will be as per the Ecc 12:12 I quoted above...

Incorrect, sorry! That is absolutely not what the passage means.

Do you use any study helps, or do you just guess at meanings, and are one who thinks that you need no man to teach you? (Taking 1 John 2:27 completely out of context).

There are many study helps available, many are free, and are orthodox.

Please spend more time reading, and in study than arguing what you think Scripture says on a forum. You will be enriched by doing so!

For many years I studied presuming that I learned the scriptures well enough it would be like attending a university to obtain a degree. God does not work that way. God showed me another way...

Keep searching, you need others to teach you, but you do not see this. Look at Ephesians 4:11ff.

The study as I said is necessary for obedience, NOT to learn God's Way and to eventually become like Him.

What is this, some sort of rebuke at Mormons who think they will be like God?

We are to be like Christ, conformed to his image, so, in essence we are to be like him; note Romans 8:28-39. We cannot know who he is without his revealed word, Scripture.

If that were so, the most intelligent and studious Bible students would be the ones closest to God.

Do you think you think you would know who God is, never hearing one thing from his revealed word?

That is NOT how God works. Again He is no respecter of persons. His judgment is in accord with what person has or has not done with what was given or available to him.

You misunderstand and misuse a lot of Scripture sir. I say this with respect. Certainly, you wish to learn more, and to be sound in doctrine. So far you are not quite sound, but have a lot of mixed together thoughts.

Anyway, God bless!

Last edited:

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

On the other hand, the scripture declares:

Hos 4:6, My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge: because thou hast rejected knowledge, I will also reject thee, that thou shalt be no priest to me: seeing thou hast forgotten the law of thy God, I will also forget thy children.

Reactions: amadeus

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus was tempted in His humanity...if he had succumbed, He would not have been able to die on the Cross to pay the penalty for our sins; but in His Deity His integrity would have remained intact and He would have remained the unchangeable God. It would only be His human sinlessness that would have been compromised; thus His life would have been insufficient as a payment for our sins.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America

Hos 4:6, My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge: because thou hast rejected knowledge, I will also reject thee, that thou shalt be no priest to me: seeing thou hast forgotten the law of thy God, I will also forget thy children.
Sobering verse from Hosea...I remember being struck by it some 40 years ago or more.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You used a verse to belittle it, so yes, in essence you said it is wrong to be a theologian, and all the while you give us your theology. Everyone is a theologian. Or, can you tell me about Jesus without theology? My guess is, you think you can, and think it is not needed. Wrong, sir.
And, you're incorrect on theology, being a theologian, it is necessary; 2 Timothy 2:15. There are many more passages, and everyone can study and learn, because it is God who imparts the things of the Spirit to man; 1 Corinthians 2:14. God makes the unlearned learned, note carefully 1 Corinthians 1:26-31.

Now you're talking about a different subject and offering a straw man argument. This discussion isn't about salvation and just think for a minute about what you're saying -- you're equating theological understanding with salvation. You're making several errors here.

And another mistake you are making which is glaring: All saved know who the true Christ is; John 8:24. Those who do not agree with the biblical Christ are not believers. You've said they are, in the past, Christ says they are not. Do we need this theology? Yes. Do we need to ask who is correct, you or Christ?

You're all over the place, the above is yet another subject...

Sooooo...you see each person being judged by their works, or, works salvation?

Nope. Concerning salvation all will be judged as either in Christ, or not in Christ. There are no degrees of status in Christ, we are all one.
Give God the glory my friend and trust in Him alone! I'll not argue with you further on this as you have your mind made up that no further growth toward God is possible. Even Jesus grew and through the words of the Baptist we know that we [the old man] must decrease while by He [the new man] must increase.

Anything I have received from God is correct. Anything on the other hand that came from man, including me, is in error and must be purged or corrected by the Holy Spirit.

If we seek His Kingdom and His righteousness first, will He not keep His promise to add to us anything else that He knows to be needed?

Reactions: Helen

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, you most certainly are.

That is to the apostles. Context. God is not revealing truth in this way to men today. Today we have his revealed will via completed Scripture.

Incorrect, sorry! That is absolutely not what the passage means.

Do you use any study helps, or do you just guess at meanings, and are one who thinks that you need no man to teach you? (Taking 1 John 2:27 completely out of context).

There are many study helps available, many are free, and are orthodox.

Please spend more time reading, and in study than arguing what you think Scripture says on a forum. You will be enriched by doing so!

Keep searching, you need others to teach you, but you do not see this. Look at Ephesians 4:11ff.

What is this, some sort of rebuke at Mormons who think they will be like God?

We are to be like Christ, conformed to his image, so, in essence we are to be like him; note Romans 8:28-39. We cannot know who he is without his revealed word, Scripture.

Do you think you think you would know who God is, never hearing one thing from his revealed word?

You misunderstand and misuse a lot of Scripture sir. I say this with respect. Certainly, you wish to learn more, and to be sound in doctrine. So far you are not quite sound, but have a lot of mixed together thoughts.

Anyway, God bless!
And may God richly bless you as you walk with Him. I do appreciate a reasonable attitude on your part even though you misunderstand me and are so certain it is I that misunderstand. Fortunately, God knows our hearts and I believe the content of the heart is more important ultimately than the logic and understanding of the brain. God must lead us and we must follow. Certainly He is not finished with me yet... but consider that He is also not yet finished with you. Allow Him to work in you.

Give God the glory!

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Absolutely, which means that we are required to use all we have to do the work that He has for us to do. This means also to increase in knowledge, but there is not precise amount required, but what is required is according to the tools He has given and/or will be giving each of us. Consider here what is more important even than knowledge:

"Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal.
And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries, and all knowledge; and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, and have not charity, I am nothing.
And though I bestow all my goods to feed the poor, and though I give my body to be burned, and have not charity, it profiteth me nothing." I Cor 13:1-3

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Absolutely, which means that we are required to use all we have to do the work that He has for us to do. This means also to increase in knowledge, but there is not precise amount required, but what is required is according to the tools He has given and/or will be giving each of us. Consider here what is more important even than knowledge:

"Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal.
And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries, and all knowledge; and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, and have not charity, I am nothing.
And though I bestow all my goods to feed the poor, and though I give my body to be burned, and have not charity, it profiteth me nothing." I Cor 13:1-3
And even further:

1Co 8:1, Now as touching things offered unto idols, we know that we all have knowledge. Knowledge puffeth up, but charity edifieth.
1Co 8:2, And if any man think that he knoweth any thing, he knoweth nothing yet as he ought to know.
1Co 8:3, But if any man love God, the same is known of him.

Reactions: amadeus and Helen

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This means also to increase in knowledge, but there is not precise amount required, but what is required is according to the tools He has given and/or will be giving each of us.
I believe that we ought to continue to seek and be open to more knowledge from the Lord's hand:

Mat 7:13, Enter ye in at the strait gate: for wide is the gate, and broad is the way, that leadeth to destruction, and many there be which go in thereat:
Mat 7:14, Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it.

Jer 29:13, And ye shall seek me, and find me, when ye shall search for me with all your heart.

Deu 4:29, But if from thence thou shalt seek the LORD thy God, thou shalt find him, if thou seek him with all thy heart and with all thy soul.

Most assuredly, we ought to continue to seek to find and enter in through the narrow path until we know that we know that we know that we have found it and entered in by it. Even then, we might think we know, and yet not fully know as we ought to know.

For it is written,

Jas 4:6, But he giveth more grace. Wherefore he saith, God resisteth the proud, but giveth grace unto the humble.

Last edited:
Reactions: amadeus

SovereignGrace

Certified Flunky
Feb 15, 2019
Crum, WVa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Who was tempted? Was God tempted?

"Let no man say when he is tempted, I am tempted of God: for God cannot be tempted with evil, neither tempteth he any man:" James 1:13

Makes for a quandary when we try to resolve with logic alone. Jesus was tempted yet according to James, God cannot be tempted...

You imply that the temptations were real yet how would you explain what is written in Heb 4:15 and James 1:13?
What is reality and what is fiction? What is truth and what is a lie?

All this stems from your failure to see a Triune Godhead. The James 1:13 verse is referring to the Father, not the Son. We pray to the Father through the Son. That is why it says But if any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask of God, who gives to all generously and without reproach, and it will be given to him.[James 1:5] God in this passage is referring to the Father.

We can read No one has seen God at any time; if we love one another, God abides in us, and His love is perfected in us.[1 John 4:12] Yet, it was Moses who spoke face-to-face with God(yet I know He told Moses no one can look on His face and live, yet Moses saw Him). If you study this out, you will see that the Christ, God the Son, is Jehovah of the OT. No one has seen the Father, but many have seen God the Son.

Until you grasp the Trinity, this will keep you grasping at straws.