Will we have to rethink the age of the universe?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Curtis

Apr 6, 2021
KC
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think you've confused "solar system" and "galaxy." I don't think we're yet good enough to see which way planets in other solar systems rotate.

Taking into account the factors mentioned above, as well as tidal effects from other planets, the team concluded that Venus's axis could have shifted to a variety of positions throughout the planet's evolution. Regardless of whether it flipped or not, it is bound to settle into one of four stable rotation statestwo in either direction. The researchers add that Venus would be more stable in one of the two retrograde rotational states. So in essence, it was just a question of time before Venus started spinning the wrong way.
Why Venus Spins the Wrong Way

Gravitational forcings do all sorts of things like that. This seems to be why Uranus is tilted sideways and goes the wrong way.

So why, if a solar system is formed by gravity pulling pieces together, does almost everything rotate (and revolve) the same way? Conservation of angular momentum. Even if particle movement is chaotic intially, eventually, almost everything will be rotating and revolving in the same direction.

To see this effect, go to 2:48 on the video. Or watch it all. Worth checking out.

There are many different theories of planetary and solar system formation, and they all have problems, such as the sun has 95% of the solar systems mass, but the planets have 95% of the angular momentum.

Large gas planets should be close to the sun instead of the rocky planets, which should be far from the sun.

If you think retrograde rotation is hard to explain, there are entire galaxies that rotate backwards. The arms of those galaxies instead of being swept rearward by the rotation of the galaxies, face forward.

This is God having a sense of humor and pointing out to those who will pay attention, that the universe had a creator, and did not form via nebulae coalescing, by causing some Planets and galaxies to rotate the wrong way.

Last edited:

Cristo Rei

Apr 30, 2020
In Christ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Be careful... Many fields in science has been hijacked by God hating atheists, astrophysics/cosmology is one of them...
Their objective is to prove that God doesn't exist and many will go to great lengths to do that.

The big bang theory comes from mathematical equations... In these equations they cheat by throwing in given constants.
They then change these constants until the equation works for them... The multiverse theory is another one designed to push people away from God

Where did all this matter come from??? The earth, the sun, the moon and all the matter in the universe...
Science says it came from nothing... I agree it came from nothing... Only God can create something from nothing...
If we build a house we need materials. God doesn't need materials...

As for more stars being found. Does it mean that the earth is older? Not necessarily, God might of still done it in 7 days

So how old is the universe? Much of the bible is written metaphorically so its hard to say for sure...
Science says that the earth is billions of years old but there is no proof of that...
They say we evolved from apes but there is no proof of that either...

So just be careful my friends in accepting everything "science" tells us... Many times it is the evil one in disguise

Reactions: Curtis

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Will we have to rethink the age of the universe? "Hubble Reveals Observable Universe Contains 10 Times More Galaxies Than Previously Thought"

Hubble Finds 10 Times More Galaxies Than Thought

Even the big bang theory is up for debate!

Where is the centre of the universe?

If the universe contains 10 times more galaxies than originally thought then the 15 billion year theory goes out the window, it would be much older than that!

They have said the universe is expanding and it makes perfect sense to me as Jesus said, I go to prepare a place for you.

GaryAnderson

Aug 10, 2021
Massachusetts
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Why do you not take Genesis literally? He spake, and it came to pass

Kent Hovind said (and I believe this is in the Defender's Bible) That Gen 1:1 explains it all "In the beginning (TIME) God created the heavens (SPACE) and the earth. (MATTER)"

Ps33:9 "For he spake, and it was done; he commanded, and it stood fast." This is our God, who can do anything.

How do you know the light took 13 billion years to get here?

Do you not believe the Flood story either? Even Jesus references it :

Matthew24:38-39 "For as in the days that were before the flood they were eating and drinking, marrying and giving in marriage, until the day that Noe entered into the ark, And knew not until the flood came, and took them all away; so shall also the coming of the Son of man be."

And Luke 17:27 "They did eat, they drank, they married wives, they were given in marriage, until the day that Noah entered into the ark, and the flood came, and destroyed them ..."

Because the point of Genesis is to convey a simple message that the Universe was created by God.
It’s not an explanation on quantum mechanics, tectonic plates or thermodynamics.
So God created this universe but years and time are not supposed to be interpreted literally.

Reactions: bbyrd009

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
And when I see light from a telescope that took 13.7 billion years to get here, what should I do with that?
Do something with it? You've already done something haven't you. You've accepted it as absolute Truth and used it as a source of doubt in the credibility of Moses, and ultimately, the Spirit that inspired him.

Reactions: Cassandra

GaryAnderson

Aug 10, 2021
Massachusetts
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Do something with it? You've already done something haven't you. You've accepted it as absolute Truth and used it as a source of doubt in the credibility of Moses, and ultimately, the Spirit that inspired him.

Well see my other post above but I’m not blind.

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Well see my other post above but I’m not blind.
That you see, and still doubt scripture, is even less in your favor.
Doubting Genesis is but the first step. How far along the track of doubt have you progressed since first doubting Genesis?
The rejection of the creation sequence and an acceptance of theistic evolution?
The rejection of the fall and an acceptance of...
Rejection of the plan of salvation...?
Everything in the NT has it's beginning in Genesis. To deny Genesis is to deny the foundations of the whole Christian paradigm.

GaryAnderson

Aug 10, 2021
Massachusetts
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That you see, and still doubt scripture, is even less in your favor.
Doubting Genesis is but the first step. How far along the track of doubt have you progressed since first doubting Genesis?
The rejection of the creation sequence and an acceptance of theistic evolution?
The rejection of the fall and an acceptance of...
Rejection of the plan of salvation...?
Everything in the NT has it's beginning in Genesis. To deny Genesis is to deny the foundations of the whole Christian paradigm.

The point of Genesis is to convey a message that the universe was created by God.
It’s not an encyclopedia on quantum mechanics, tectonic plates or thermodynamics.

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm not suggesting the Genesis is the answer to all your science questions. It was never intended to be.

Im not so sure all those answers aren’t in there but not yet uncovered…
There are men insisting again that the world is flat when it plainly states in at least two places in the Bible that it is round! But a dog always returns to his vomit and…”the fools burnt finger goes wabbling back to the fire.”

GaryAnderson

Aug 10, 2021
Massachusetts
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm not suggesting the Genesis is the answer to all your science questions. It was never intended to be.

Exactly my friend. This is why I take the essential message from the Bible that God created the universe. That’s the message and that’s important and that’s what I believe.
‘I don’t interpret it literally basically to give some numerical value to the age of our universe.

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
And when I see light from a telescope that took 13.7 billion years to get here, what should I do with that?
test everything, and keep what is good
:D

“Image of God” and “dust of the earth” might be anything, too…except my image UL just died lol

Last edited:

GaryAnderson

Aug 10, 2021
Massachusetts
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The 4th commandment is a time commandment. God wrote the Ten commandments with His finger (Exodus 31:18"And he gave unto Moses, when he had made an end of communing with him upon mount Sinai, two tables of testimony, tables of stone, written with the finger of God.') and in them He says "For in six days the LORD made the heavens and the earth, the sea, and all that is in them, and rested the seventh day. Therefore the LORD blessed the Sabbath day and hallowed it." Ex 20:11
So God says He did it in 6 days. Good enough.

GaryAnderson,. I still want to know if you believe in the Flood?

Yes I believe in the flood but not a global flood but a local one. Jewish scholars have said that a great flood happened in the Mediterranean era.
The point of the Old Testament to me is to convey messages and it’s not a history or science book.
The Bible is part poetry, part narration and part dialogue. I take the essence from the Bible and don’t interpret many thing literally from the Old Testament.

Reactions: bbyrd009

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
Yes I believe in the flood but not a global flood but a local one. Jewish scholars have said that a great flood happened in the Mediterranean era.
The point of the Old Testament to me is to convey messages and it’s not a history or science book.
The Bible is part poetry, part narration and part dialogue. I take the essence from the Bible and don’t interpret many thing literally from the Old Testament.
a lot of particularly OT is written in “conquest genre,” i guess? Never meant to be taken literally iow

https://biblicalhistoricalcontext.c...raelite-origins-putting-away-childish-things/
its in there somewhere