Will we have to rethink the age of the universe?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
I don’t understand that. What does “An image of God” mean?
a ref to us being “made in God’s image” from “the dust of the earth?”
which i am not saying is correct, necessarily, but to show how different thinking might be needed to interpret

usually i post a handy image of “circular galaxy” for that one, but for whatever reason images have decided not to UL here today for me

Reactions: GaryAnderson

Curtis

Apr 6, 2021
KC
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The big bang theory comes from mathematical equations... In these equations they cheat by throwing in given constants.

A lot of it comes from red shifting of distant light, which they interpreted as the expansion of the universe from a single point in space.

As for more stars being found. Does it mean that the earth is older? Not necessarily, God might of still done it in 7 days

God could have created it all in a micro second.

He took six days and rested on the seventh days as a prophetical foreshadow of the millennium, per the sabbath- millennium doctrine of the early church.

Maranatha

Last edited:

Curtis

Apr 6, 2021
KC
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And when I see light from a telescope that took 13.7 billion years to get here, what should I do with that?

What you do with that is quit assuming that science empirically knows exactly what happened with the creation of the universe and it’s expansion, or knows what the boundary conditions of the laws of physics were very shortly after the universe was created, as “the heavens were stretched forth by the hand of God”, in the beginning.

They don’t.

But they act as if they do.

GaryAnderson

Aug 10, 2021
Massachusetts
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What you do with that is quit assuming that science empirically knows exactly what happened with the creation of the universe and it’s expansion, or knows what the boundary conditions of the laws of physics were very shortly after the universe was created, as “the heavens were stretched forth by the hand of God”, in the beginning.

They don’t.

But they act as if they do.

My friend, I don’t assume they have the answers but it’s about seeing through a telescope. You’re asking me to be blind?

Curtis

Apr 6, 2021
KC
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Oh yeah? Jesus confirmed that the universe was created in 6 days?

Jesus affirmed everything in the law and the prophets was literal and factual, which so obviously includes Genesis and the creation of all things in six days, with each day being a morning and evening, which only applies to 24 hour earth time periods.

And the New Testament apostles affirmed the literal six days of creation.

God easily could have created everything in a micro second - He took six days and rested on the seventh as a prophetical foreshadow of the millennium, per the sabbath-millennial doctrine of the early church.

Reactions: Cassandra

GaryAnderson

Aug 10, 2021
Massachusetts
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus affirmed everything in the law and the prophets was literal and factual, which so obviously includes Genesis and the creation of all things in six days, with each day being a morning and evening, which only applies to 24 hour earth time periods.

And the New Testament apostles affirmed the literal six days of creation.

God easily could have created everything in a micro second - He took six days and rested on the seventh as a prophetical foreshadow of the millennium, per the sabbath-millennial doctrine of the early church.

So how do I reconcile this with what we see?

Curtis

Apr 6, 2021
KC
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
How do you know the light took 13 billion years to get here?

That was my point: science does not know what the boundary of the laws of physics were when God created the universe and “stretched it forth like a curtain” at a speed far faster than the speed of light is now.

I guarantee that God didn’t take 14 billion years to get the stars 14 billion light years away from us - He stretched forth the heavens in six 24 hour days, or less, and I’m sure those stars left a trail of light behind them as they were stretched forth by God from the point of creation, to their position today.

Thus their present distance away and the light that we see from them, does not prove the age of the universe.

GaryAnderson

Aug 10, 2021
Massachusetts
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That was my point: science does not know what the boundary of the laws of physics were when God created the universe and “stretched it forth like a curtain” at a speed far faster than the speed of light is now.

I guarantee that God didn’t take 14 billion years to get the stars 14 billion light years away from us - He stretched forth the heavens in six 24 hour days, or less, and I’m sure those stars left a trail of light behind them as they were stretched forth by God from the point of creation, to their position today.

Thus their present distance away and the light that we see from them, does not prove the age of the universe.

Okay this is one explanation and I guess this makes you interpret Genesis literally but I thought that the point of Genesis was to show creation by God and it’s not supposed to be a science book. So the fact that you have to invent this theory in your mind to fit the Genesis view is an interesting one but no one can prove you wrong here.

Curtis

Apr 6, 2021
KC
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So how do I reconcile this with what we see?
You realize you have no way to know what you see and how it relates to the way God crested the universe.

Science SAW the universe and said it always existed and therefore was not created, but now science admits Genesis was right, and they were wrong - the universe had a creation in one moment of time, and with the BB theory, they now admit it had a beginning.

I’ll take the Bible over what you SEE and how you interpret what you see, every time.

Curtis

Apr 6, 2021
KC
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The 4th commandment is a time commandment. God wrote the Ten commandments with His finger (Exodus 31:18"And he gave unto Moses, when he had made an end of communing with him upon mount Sinai, two tables of testimony, tables of stone, written with the finger of God.') and in them He says "For in six days the LORD made the heavens and the earth, the sea, and all that is in them, and rested the seventh day. Therefore the LORD blessed the Sabbath day and hallowed it." Ex 20:11
So God says He did it in 6 days. Good enough.

GaryAnderson,. I still want to know if you believe in the Flood?

Jesus did.

And in Adam and Eve, in Jonah in the fish, etc, as literal facts.

Which settles it for me.

Shalom

Curtis

Apr 6, 2021
KC
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes I believe in the flood but not a global flood but a local one. Jewish scholars have said that a great flood happened in the Mediterranean era.
The point of the Old Testament to me is to convey messages and it’s not a history or science book.
The Bible is part poetry, part narration and part dialogue. I take the essence from the Bible and don’t interpret many thing literally from the Old Testament.

1. If the flood was only local, then God had Noah waste 100 years building the ark, when he could have just left the area.
  2. If the flood was only local, then a local flood somehow managed to cover the tops of the highest mountains.
  3. If the flood was only local, then God had animals walk into the flood area and be put on the ark, when they could have just stayed away or left the area.
  4. If the flood was only local, then Noah spent a year on the ark waiting for local floodwaters to go down.
  5. If the flood was only local then God lied when He created the rainbow as a sign He would never again destroy the whole earth with water - since local floods happen all the time.
  6. If the flood was only local then God unnecessarily raised the mountains and lowered the valleys to recede local floodwaters, per Psalm 104.
Psa 104:6 Thou hadst covered it with the deep, as with a vesture; the waters stood above the mountains:

Psa 104:7 At thy rebuke they fled, at the voice of thy thunder they hasted away; —

Psa 104:8 The mountains rose, the valleys sank, unto the place which thou hadst founded for them; —

Psa 104:9 Thou hast set a boundary which they may not pass over, that they turn not again to cover the earth.

GaryAnderson

Aug 10, 2021
Massachusetts
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
  1. If the flood was only local, then God had Noah waste 100 years building the ark, when he could have just left the area.
  2. If the flood was only local, then a local flood somehow managed to cover the tops of the highest mountains.
  3. If the flood was only local, then God had animals walk into the flood area and be put on the ark, when they could have just stayed away or left the area.
  4. If the flood was only local, then Noah spent a year on the ark waiting for local floodwaters to go down.
  5. If the flood was only local then God lied when He created the rainbow as a sign He would never again destroy the whole earth with water - since local floods happen all the time.
  6. If the flood was only local then God unnecessarily raised the mountains and lowered the valleys to recede local floodwaters, per Psalm 104.
Psa 104:6 Thou hadst covered it with the deep, as with a vesture; the waters stood above the mountains:

Psa 104:7 At thy rebuke they fled, at the voice of thy thunder they hasted away; —

Psa 104:8 The mountains rose, the valleys sank, unto the place which thou hadst founded for them; —

Psa 104:9 Thou hast set a boundary which they may not pass over, that they turn not again to cover the earth.

“The world” during this timeframe from a human perspective is very small so it’s local. They had no idea of other continents or what lay further than a 5000 mile radius. Also I’m not sure how the logistics of every animal would work out especially between the predatory and non predatory animals while trying to keep them fed.
If you want to take “The world” literally though from the perspective of the people living back then…than that’s cool.

Curtis

Apr 6, 2021
KC
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Curtis

Apr 6, 2021
KC
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
“The world” during this timeframe from a human perspective is very small so it’s local. They had no idea of other continents or what lay further than a 5000 mile radius. Also I’m not sure how the logistics of every animal would work out especially between the predatory and non predatory animals while trying to keep them fed.
If you want to take “The world” literally though from the perspective of the people living back then…than that’s cool.
The people living back then didn’t write the Bible - God did, and He knows exactly what happened.

Everything Moses wrote was given to him to write by God Himself during the 40 days Moses spent on the mountain with Him.

None of it came from ignorance.

BTW science says all animals have potential to hibernate. That takes care of food storage and predator animals being any problem.

Last edited:

Curtis

Apr 6, 2021
KC
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
They have said the universe is expanding and it makes perfect sense to me as Jesus said, I go to prepare a place for you.
That place is the city New Jerusalem that will descend from heaven on the new earth, where God and His people will dwell forever with Him. Revelation 21.

Maranatha