Will we have to rethink the age of the universe?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

GaryAnderson

Aug 10, 2021
Massachusetts
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
you walk by faith, not by sight. 2 Corinthians 5:7
Faith. That’s interesting that you mention that.
If someone were to hold a gun in my head and say “Deny Jesus or I’ll shoot” I would say “Shoot”. That’s where my faith level is.
But I’m not blind.

Desire Of All Nations

Jun 23, 2021
Troy
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That was my point: science does not know what the boundary of the laws of physics were when God created the universe and “stretched it forth like a curtain” at a speed far faster than the speed of light is now.

I guarantee that God didn’t take 14 billion years to get the stars 14 billion light years away from us - He stretched forth the heavens in six 24 hour days, or less, and I’m sure those stars left a trail of light behind them as they were stretched forth by God from the point of creation, to their position today.

Thus their present distance away and the light that we see from them, does not prove the age of the universe.
The whole problem with YEC is that it based entirely on people reading Gen. 1:1-3 as events that happened immediately after another while ignoring all of the other passages that proves this planet existed longer than 6,000 years.

The fact that Job. 38:4-8 shows God saying the universe was created after the angels were inherently proves this universe is a lot older than 6,000 years because that took place before Lucifer's rebellion. Gen. 1:1 describes the original creation, while Gen. 1:2 and Rom. 8:19-21 describes the condition of Earth and other planets after Lucifer's rebellion. Other parts of the Bible like Jude 1:6 shows Lucifer and the angels that were in his charge ruled this planet before humans existed. While Gen. 1:3-31 happened over the course of 6 literal days, this all took place years after Lucifer's rebellion, which could've taken place millions of years after he was created. At no point does the Bible ever say Gen. 1:1-2:2:2 happened in 6 days. YECs simply assume it does because they ignore or overlook everything else the Bible says about that period.

Could God have easily made this universe in 6 days? Certainly. But as God says in Job 38, He is a Master Builder, and He does nothing haphazardly, even with His ability to speak things into existence. Any professional architect would tell you that they don't haphazardly build something in a short amount of time just because they can. They plan everything out in detail long before the task of building a designed structure is ever carried out, and God is no different. He literally talked in detail about how much planning went into making this universe before actually executing the plan in Job 38. It is both laughable and sad that people actually believe God haphazardly made the universe in just 6 days on a whim with no prior planning just because He could.

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Okay this is one explanation and I guess this makes you interpret Genesis literally but I thought that the point of Genesis was to show creation by God and it’s not supposed to be a science book. So the fact that you have to invent this theory in your mind to fit the Genesis view is an interesting one but no one can prove you wrong here.
6 days Gary,6 days. Testified to by Moses in Genesis, testified to by Christ on Sinai. Repeated throughout the OT every Sabbath day as a memorial of creation... In 6 days.
You cannot reconcile what you see through a telescope with what you read in scripture? Why do you have to? You said yourself scripture isn't an issue of Science Journal. I suggest you simply believe scripture and wait for the explanations when you meet the Creator personally. You'll have plenty of time to ask, what's the rush that you need every question answered now?

Curtis

Apr 6, 2021
KC
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The fact that Job. 38:4-8 shows God saying the universe was created after the angels were inherently proves this universe is a lot older than 6,000 years because that took place before Lucifer's rebellion. Gen. 1:1 describes the original creation, while Gen. 1:2 and Rom. 8:19-21 describes the condition of Earth and other planets after Lucifer's rebellion. Other parts of the Bible like Jude 1:6 shows Lucifer and the angels that were in his charge ruled this planet before humans existed. While Gen. 1:3-31 happened over the course of 6 literal days, this all took place years after Lucifer's rebellion, which could've taken place millions of years after he was created. At no point does the Bible ever say Gen. 1:1-2:2:2 happened in 6 days. YECs simply assume it does because they ignore or overlook everything else the Bible says about that period.

The gap theory is not correct.

It’s in fact falsified by Exodus 20.

The gap theory is that the heavens and earth were created, then destroyed, with perhaps billions of years between Genesis 1:1 and the recreation of it over six days - thus making creation take billions of years from the heavens and earth being created, to God resting on the seventh day.

However Exodus 20 states that the total time period between creation of the heavens and the earth, and God resting, was six days.

Exo 20:11 because the LORD made the heavens and the earth and the sea, and all that is in them, in six days, then he rested on the seventh day. Therefore, the LORD blessed the Sabbath day and made it holy.

Total time lapse between the creation of the heavens and earth and God resting: SIX DAYS.

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
Jesus never got the memo that the Old Testament was not literal - He taught it as factual and literal truth - even Jonah and the fish which He said is a SIGN of His own death burial and resurrection after three days and nights.
no reason you cant believe that as long as you like, Curtis, imo it takes all kinds, we need diversity anyway. But i will point out that you say that gnostically? As if you knew? How do you know? Have you test everything… there yet? I suggest that Jesus just understood Conquest Genre, whereas we have forgotten it…even though it survives in our sports writing and our idiom