Wisdom is the principal thing;

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Miss Hepburn

Oct 28, 2009
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well... I certainly agree with THAT! ☺
I don' take that lightly since one verse changed the direction of my focus
years ago and has made me the person I am today.
Jeremiah 9 all around v23...But he who does boast, let him boast of this,
That He knows and understands me, so saith the Lord....off the top.

My mouth dropped because here He was saying I COULD...so I went for it...
And today despite the naysayers....I know and understand God Himself.
He drew me to Jeremiah and jumped off the page to my soul...gave me the drive
and has given me many Divine Revelations only about Him personally ever since.
*humble emoji*

Reactions: lforrest

truthquest

May 23, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I believe that love is the greatest. Knowledge and wisdom will cease and vanish away but love will endure and never fail.

1 Cor.13:1Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, and have not love, I am become as sounding brass, or a clanging cymbal.
2And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries, and all knowledge; and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, and have not love, I am nothing.
3And though I bestow all my goods to feed the poor, and though I give my body to be burned, and have not love, it profits me nothing.
7Bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things.
8Love never fails: but whether there be prophecies, they shall fail; whether there be tongues, they shall cease; whether there be knowledge, it shall vanish away.
13And now abides faith, hope, love, these three; but the greatest of these is love.

Gal. 5:14 For all the law is fulfilled in one word, even in this; You shall love your neighbor as yourself.

Miss Hepburn

Oct 28, 2009
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding. Proverbs 4:7
As far as love being the most imp...its funny because all of these all go together so much!
When you have love you are wise...when you have wisdom or knowledge...
It includes beauty, love, happiness, that manifests as patience, charity...etc...so whether wisdom or love is the principle thing...I would agree with BOTH!

As far as knowledge vanishing away ....I'm talking about knowledge of God...any knowledge about things of this earth bore even me! It will surely vanish away...thats why the intellect isn't that imp to me....where does it get you?
Better job, so better toys (things)? So what?
All that God gives me I'm taking with me for eternity!

WalterandDebbie

Dec 14, 2009
USA
firstthings1sttab.tripod.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
As far as love being the most imp...its funny because all of these all go together so much!
When you have love you are wise...when you have wisdom or knowledge...
It includes beauty, love, happiness, that manifests as patience, charity...etc...so whether wisdom or love is the principle thing...I would agree with BOTH!

As far as knowledge vanishing away ....I'm talking about knowledge of God...any knowledge about things of this earth bore even me! It will surely vanish away...thats why the intellect isn't that imp to me....where does it get you?
Better job, so better toys (things)? So what?
All that God gives me I'm taking with me for eternity!
I have just read both of your post on this page, and I find that they are very good, I would say that:

Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moths and vermin destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moths and vermin do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.

But anyway, I remember what Jesus said about loving him to keep his commandments. But as far as The OP: Proverbs 4:7

Proverbs 4 Commentary - Adam Clarke Commentary

Last edited:

Miss Hepburn

Oct 28, 2009
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moths and vermin destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moths and vermin do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.
Yes.
It is the invisible that is the important thing. You can't see love or kindness or compassion or joy or devotion...sure you have smiles and gifts....but the feelings of the heart are the treasures...the hidden secret charities and gentle eyes that comfort and the time spent listening...everything else is like dust in the wind really...folly. Yup.
I know what is imp now. And I thank God for it.

Reactions: WalterandDebbie

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
.thats why the intellect isn't that imp to me....where does it get you?
well to be fair it got us to realizing that photons can be influenced by your eyes alone, simply by witnessing them they act differently. hardly what one might call "boring?" ha well i guess it depends

Miss Hepburn

Oct 28, 2009
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
well to be fair it got us to realizing that photons can be influenced by your eyes alone, simply by witnessing them they act differently. hardly what one might call "boring?" ha well i guess it depends
Thank you for bringing that up...maybe more will read about quantum physics.
The intellect doesn't bring "me' happiness or joy or love or connect me to my Father.
Of course, it has made medical discoveries, and good!
And it can take someone pretty far if they open up to the wonders of this creation...
subatomic particles that are really light being effected by just our presence...and how nothing is what it appears to be to the naked eye; a good tool for expanding our small mind...to be left behind at a point. :)
But, in debating things spiritual it's boring to me, personally.

Reactions: bbyrd009

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
"Research shows that human language is mostly used for social bonding (in stead of the exchange of information, as one would intuitively guess) and the wisdom tradition, the preservation of useful information, appears to have been a side effect of the advantage of strong social bonds. Art was probably a side effect of the wisdom tradition, because a wisdom tradition includes skills and thus must precede art, and hieroglyphic text logically came from art.

The "breach from Egypt" occurred when the existing wisdom tradition met the Semitic alphabet..."
Patterns in the Bible
"The Gift of Gab"

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
The intellect doesn't bring "me' happiness or joy or love
"The ancients didn't have space telescopes and electron microscopes but they had something better. After eons of careful observation they had been able to deduce that the whole of creation is a giant fractal, and could derive the whole of it from the small parts that could be seen with the naked eye. We moderns may be able to see further and peer deeper but up until now the bigger picture has eluded us. We have archeology and literary criticism, and even though many of us believe that the Bible came to us via divine revelation, rarely do we entertain the notion that we might actually be substantially less advanced than the Bible writers were. Not more so."
Patterns in the Bible

seemed to speak to your pov? which btw i also share

Reactions: Miss Hepburn

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
again,

"...Trees are natural shelters and symbolize skills, scientific theories and entire systems of belief, which are wonderfully helpful things until one actually believes that one's knowledge is going to save one, or bring one closer to the divine (which is what Gnosticism teaches, in violation of Genesis 2:16-17)..."

The amazing name Tarsus: meaning and etymology

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
The intellect doesn't bring "me' happiness or joy or love or connect me to my Father.
ah, and this whole page might interest you
"...is what Chaos Theory looks at. Why? Because in stead of being boring and translucent, nature is marvelous and mysterious. And Chaos Theory has managed to somewhat capture the beauty of the unpredictable and display it in the most awesome patterns. Nature, when looked upon with the right kind of eyes, presents herself as one of the most fabulous works of art ever wrought."
Chaos Theory for Beginners; An Introduction

Miss Hepburn

Oct 28, 2009
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"The ancients didn't have space telescopes and electron microscopes ...We moderns may be able to see further and peer deeper ... we might actually be substantially less advanced than the Bible writers were. Not more so."
Patterns in the Bible
seemed to speak to your pov? which btw i also share
Good post, bb.
Just to say...the intellect and logic is a gift from God, in my opinion.
But...it can just take us "so far", that's really my point in the past posts... that is why I say the intellect bores me.
To me its the difference between playing with a pure child and feeling the wonder...and talking to a scientist that is all full of logic and probably an atheist.
Logic and intellect vs heart and direct experience, that has no logic or even proof...except for the smile on your face..hahaha. ;)

Direct experience, I often call Grace, can take a person to a transcendent place.
Has logic or my intellect ever done that? No.
Intellect is great..it just can't take ya to a Divine "zone", let's call it,

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Good post, bb.
Just to say...the intellect and logic is a gift from God, in my opinion.
But...it can just take us "so far", that's really my point in the past posts... that is why I say the intellect bores me.
To me its the difference between playing with a pure child and feeling the wonder...and talking to a scientist that is all full of logic and probably an atheist.
Logic and intellect vs heart and direct experience, that has no logic or even proof...except for the smile on your face..hahaha. ;)

Direct experience, I often call Grace, can take a person to a transcendent place.
Has logic or my intellect ever done that? No.
Intellect is great..it just can't take ya to a Divine "zone", let's call it,
Einstein has a reflection on this, i just posted it the other day, something like "the intuitive mind is a gift, and the logical mind is a servant, but we have made the servant into the master, and forgotten the gift," something like that

Reactions: Miss Hepburn

Miss Hepburn

Oct 28, 2009
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Einstein has a reflection on this, i just posted it the other day, something like "the intuitive mind is a gift, and the logical mind is a servant, but we have made the servant into the master, and forgotten the gift," something like that
Oh my! GREAT MINDS THINK ALIKE!

cap lock, don't care lol!

Reactions: bbyrd009

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country