Wise vs. Foolish Virgins

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Faith is the beginning, foundation, and root of justification, and the first of all other virtues, without which it is impossible to please God.

Not what I asked YOU directly though, was it?

A TRUE Christian is a believer on the Blood of Jesus Christ shed upon His cross for the remission of sins. And no TRUE Christian would ever skirt the question when asked. Thus YOUR Faith is still in doubt at this point.

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I can be funny, sometimes like it too, especially to those who don't take The Word of God seriously, ESPECIALLY THE NEW TESTAMENT WITNESS.

You need to not only take the NT seriously, you need to actually read its contents. Anybody who thinks they will be judged according to their beliefs is indoctrinated by false preachers...and does NOT read the Bible for what it says.

Before you try instructing others...and bringing condemnation on yourself for your prejudices...READ the Bible and pray for understanding.

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You need to not only take the NT seriously, you need to actually read its contents. Anybody who thinks they will be judged according to their beliefs is indoctrinated by false preachers...and does NOT read the Bible for what it says.

Before you try instructing others...and bringing condemnation on yourself for your prejudices...READ the Bible and pray for understanding.

You first!

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Good! So I hope you're beginning to understand Scripture about the difference between God's saving Grace and our works (Ephesians 2:8-9). Our good works in Christ follow us to Heaven, per Revelation 14. If our works is not a foundation in Christ, then it will be burned up along with the rest of the world's works.

James Macbeth

May 17, 2022
College Station
m.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Good! So I hope you're beginning to understand Scripture about the difference between God's saving Grace and our works (Ephesians 2:8-9). Our good works in Christ follow us to Heaven, per Revelation 14. If our works is not a foundation in Christ, then it will be burned up along with the rest of the world's works.
Ok but it sounds like your teaching no works, only faith doctrine. Which saint James teaches against.

You have to ask yourself who were the Ephesians?

What did they believe in before being converted?

Maybe the Ephesians were teaching that you didn't need to accept Jesus as your Lord & Saviour, but to get to Heaven all you needed were good works. That's why Saint Paul corrected them.

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Ok but it sounds like your teaching no works, only faith doctrine.

Nah, you well understood me, and Apostle Paul. I don't believe you don't understand the difference between God's Salvation which is by His Grace vs. our works which do not save us.

Eph 2:8-9
8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:
9 Not of works, lest any man should boast.
KJV

If you didn't understand the above, then it would mean you never did understand what The Gospel of Jesus Christ is about. And if that is so, then why have you come here to create consternation on a Christian forum?

James Macbeth

May 17, 2022
College Station
m.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Nah, you well understood me, and Apostle Paul. I don't believe you don't understand the difference between God's Salvation which is by His Grace vs. our works which do not save us.

Eph 2:8-9
8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:
9 Not of works, lest any man should boast.
KJV

If you didn't understand the above, then it would mean you never did understand what The Gospel of Jesus Christ is about. And if that is so, then why have you come here to create consternation on a Christian forum?
Then why have the Gospels?
Why didn't our Lord go around repeating: "For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast!"

Did he not say: Repent! For the Kingdom of God is at hand?

One simply cannot compact the whole Christine doctrine into 2 verses...

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Then why have the Gospels?
Why didn't our Lord go around repeating: "For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast!"

Did he not say: Repent! For the Kingdom of God is at hand?

One simply cannot compact the whole Christine doctrine into 2 verses...

Evidently, while you appear... to speak against absolutism, that actually is what you show you follow, which reveals a lack of understanding in God's Word.

Take for example the case in 1 Corinthians 5 with the member at the Church of Corinth that Apostle Paul rebuked for having sex with his mother. Paul actually rebuked the other members of that Church more, because they should have disciplined that one themselves instead of waiting for Paul to do it. Paul said to send that one to Satan for the destruction of the flesh so that his spirit may be saved in the day of the Lord.

1 Cor 5:4-5
4 In the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, when ye are gathered together, and my spirit, with the power of our Lord Jesus Christ,

5 To deliver such an one unto Satan for the destruction of the flesh, that the spirit may be saved in the day of the Lord Jesus.

KJV

Many believers are going to fall away because of spiritual deception from having listened to men instead of Christ in His Word. That is either because God has put blindness upon them for this time, or they do it to themselves by not listening to His Word.

But that does not mean those are forever lost, because they did profess belief on Jesus Christ as their Saviour. When Jesus returns, those will be treated like the five foolish virgins, and Jesus will close the door upon them. That still does not mean He will cast them away to the lake of fire. Ezekiel 44 shows the Levites that went astray when Israel went astray will be made to do all the menial duties in His future sanctuary after Christ's future return. Those will not be allowed to approach Christ at His table to serve Him. But the Just (Zadok) will be allowed to approach Christ.

James Macbeth

May 17, 2022
College Station
m.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Evidently, while you appear... to speak against absolutism, that actually is what you show you follow, which reveals a lack of understanding in God's Word.

Take for example the case in 1 Corinthians 5 with the member at the Church of Corinth that Apostle Paul rebuked for having sex with his mother. Paul actually rebuked the other members of that Church more, because they should have disciplined that one themselves instead of waiting for Paul to do it. Paul said to send that one to Satan for the destruction of the flesh so that his spirit may be saved in the day of the Lord.

1 Cor 5:4-5
4 In the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, when ye are gathered together, and my spirit, with the power of our Lord Jesus Christ,

5 To deliver such an one unto Satan for the destruction of the flesh, that the spirit may be saved in the day of the Lord Jesus.

KJV

Many believers are going to fall away because of spiritual deception from having listened to men instead of Christ in His Word. That is either because God has put blindness upon them for this time, or they do it to themselves by not listening to His Word.

But that does not mean those are forever lost, because they did profess belief on Jesus Christ as their Saviour. When Jesus returns, those will be treated like the five foolish virgins, and Jesus will close the door upon them. That still does not mean He will cast them away to the lake of fire. Ezekiel 44 shows the Levites that went astray when Israel went astray will be made to do all the menial duties in His future sanctuary after Christ's future return. Those will not be allowed to approach Christ at His table to serve Him. But the Just (Zadok) will be allowed to approach Christ.
Ok, that's all good.

But back to what is in the flasks.

You say the Oil is knowledge, but I say it is grace.

If someone is full of grace, can he not be emptied of it?

And if someone is full of knowledge, how can he be emptied of it?

How did the foolish virgins burn through their knowledge, and then needed more?

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Ok, that's all good.

But back to what is in the flasks.

You say the Oil is knowledge, but I say it is grace.

You don't really... know how to be honest, do you? You well know that I NEVER said the Oil in the lamps of the ten virgins represent 'knowledge'! I said it represents The Holy Spirit. And what did Lord Jesus say that The Holy Spirit would do for us? (John 14:26).

James Macbeth

May 17, 2022
College Station
m.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You don't really... know how to be honest, do you? You well know that I NEVER said the Oil in the lamps of the ten virgins represent 'knowledge'! I said it represents The Holy Spirit. And what did Lord Jesus say that The Holy Spirit would do for us? (John 14:26).
Ok my mistake, someone here said it was knowledge.
Let me ask again.

You say the Oil is The Holy Spirit, but I say it is Grace.

And if someone is full of The Holy Spirit, how can he be emptied of it?

How did the foolish virgins burn through The Holy Spirit, and then needed more?

James Macbeth

May 17, 2022
College Station
m.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The ten virgins parable Lord Jesus gave in Matthew 25 is often not truly understood in its simplicity. In the attempt of many to 'try' and explain it, they actually create many more little parables within their explanation, leading brethren to have more questions about it. I'll not do that here. So for those who want it, this explanation will be very simple, and to the point, no guilding the Lilly one might say...This means then... the five WISE virgins are to have THAT spare vessel of The Oil that gives understanding... in those 7 Signs Jesus gave us to be WATCHING at the end of this world.
Ver. 1. Ten virgins. By these are signified all mankind. By the bridegroom, Christ; by the bride, the Church; by oil, grace and charity. (Witham) --- The kingdom of heaven is not unfrequently compared to the Church militant; which, as it is composed of both just and wicked, reprobate and elect, is deservedly compared to five wise and five foolish virgins: the wise constantly aspiring after their blessed country; the foolish, with all their fasts and austerities, wishing to procure nothing more than the empty esteem of men. (St. Gregory) --- Went out to meet the bridegroom and the bride; in the Greek, it is simply, before the bridegroom. The custom among the Jews was, that the bridegroom should go to fetch his spouse, and conduct her with solemnity to his house. (Bible de Vence) --- This was the conclusive ceremony, and done in the night-time. The young women of the vicinity, in order to do her honour, went to meet her with lighted lamps. Modern travellers inform us, that this custom still obtains with the eastern nations, particularly the Persians. Hence the Latin phrase, ducere uxorem, to marry.

Ver. 4. But the wise took oil. Under this parable, we have the state of all Christians in their mortal pilgrimage justly delineated. The wise took oil in their lamps, the necessary qualifications of grace and charity, joined with divine faith, and an additional supply of oil in their vessels; i.e. they laid up in store for themselves a solid foundation of good works. St. Gregory teaches, that by the lamps, faith is meant; and by the light, good works. Hence he concludes that the bad, although they have lamps, i.e. faith, no less than the good, shall be excluded; because their lamps are out, i.e. their faith is dead, without charity and good works to enlighten them. (hom. xii.) --- St. Augustine also declares, that these lighted lamps are good works, viz. works of mercy and good conversation, which shine forth before men. (ep. 120. chap. xxxiii.) --- And, that this oil is a right inward intention, directing all our works to the greater glory of God, and not to the praise of ourselves in the sight of men. (Idem. ibid. [St. Augustine, ep. 120. chap. xxxiii.]) --- The foolish virgins had a little oil in their lamps at first, sufficient to shine before men, by some little external shew of piety, or certain works done through fear, profit, or human respects; but had made no provision of oil in their vessels, i.e. in their hearts and conscience, no provision of solid piety and charity, by means of which they might, like the prudent virgins, produce good works to salvation. (Jansenius)

Ver. 5. And while the bridegroom (Jesus Christ) tarried, i.e. delayed his coming, and thus protracted the time of repentance, they all slumbered and slept; viz. they all died. Hence St. Paul, nolo vos ignorare de dormientibus. But the reason why Jesus Christ says they slumbered is, because they were to rise again: and by the expression, whilst the bridegroom tarried, Christ wishes to shew us that a very short time will elapse between his first and second coming. (St. Jerome)

Ver. 6. There was a cry. So shall we all have to rise again at the sound of the last trumpet, to meet our judge, either like the wise virgins, who having their oil ready, and their lamps trimmed and burning, soon prepare themselves to give in their accounts to their Lord; or, like the foolish, who having made no provision of the oil of good works, are compelled to seek it at the time they are to be judged. (St. Augustine) --- It is said he will come at midnight; i.e. when least expected.

Ver. 8. For our lamps are gone out. Thus too many trusting to their faith alone, and leading a tepid indifference life, are negligent in preparing themselves by good works for the coming of the bridegroom. But when they perceived themselves called away from this life, to go and meet their judge, they then begin to find their lamps extinguished, and to think of procuring for themselves the oil of good works, by bequeathing their effects to the poor. Though we ought not to despair of the salvation of these, still there is great room to fear; for, a death-bed repentance is seldom sincere, more seldom, or never perfect, and always uncertain. (Jansenius)

Ver. 9. Go ye rather to them that sell. The wise virgins do not here advise the foolish to go and buy, but upbraid them for the poor store of good works they have laid up. They had before only sought the praises of men in their good actions, and therefore are answered by the wise: "go now to those to whom you have given all your actions; go and see what their praises will avail, what peace of conscience they can give you: and, if they have praised you, and made you esteemed in the eyes of men, see if they can do the same before God." (St. Augustine)

Ver. 10. And the door was shut. After the final day of judgment, there will be no room for prayers and good works. (St. Jerome) --- For, after having received those within its walls, who have put on in some degree the nature of the angels, the gate to the city of bliss is closed for ever. (St. Augustine)

Ver. 13. Watch ye. St. Augustine asks, how can we be always watching, it being necessary for each one to give himself sufficient time to sleep and rest from his many labours? He answers the question in these words: We may always keep watching to our hearts by faith, hope, charity, and all other good works. But when we awake, like the five wise virgins, we must arise and trim our lamps, by supplying them with the oil of good works. Then they will not go out, nor will the soothing oil of a good conscience be wanting to us. Then will the bridegroom come and introduce us to his house, where we shall never need sleep or rest; nor will our lamps ever be in danger of going out. Whilst we are in this life, we labour; and our lamps, blown about by the winds of innumerable temptations, are always in danger of being extinguished; but soon their flame shall become more brilliant, and the temptations we have suffered here shall not diminish, but increase its lustre. (St. Augustine, serm. xxiv.)

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Ok my mistake, someone here said it was knowledge.
Let me ask again.

You say the Oil is The Holy Spirit, but I say it is Grace.

And if someone is full of The Holy Spirit, how can he be emptied of it?

How did the foolish virgins burn through The Holy Spirit, and then needed more?

Where you getting that 'emptied of it' idea? That shows you still... do not understand the parable.

Did you not look at that John 14:26 reference I gave? What is one of the things The Holy Spirit is given to us for? To TEACH us.

Jesus speaking...

John 14:26
26 But the Comforter, Which is the Holy Ghost, Whom the Father will send in My name, He shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you.

KJV

How did God give His Word through His servants to write down? By The Holy Spirit (2 Peter 1:21). So The Holy Spirit must have something to do with understanding God's Word, right?

What was Christ's subject He was covering in the Matthew 24 Chapter just prior to His giving of the ten virgins parable in Matthew 25? The Signs of the end of this world leading up to His future return that He COMMANDED us to 'watch' for.

The Oil represents The Holy Spirit, because Jesus and His Apostles promised the gift of The Holy Spirit by Faith on Jesus Christ (Acts 2:38).

But how many believers actually listen and heed... The Holy Spirit when He is trying to TEACH us? I see more brethren busy listening to the world and men's teachings instead of getting understanding by listening to The Holy Spirit. There's the case with the five foolish virgins. The Holy Spirit is there for them, but they don't listen to or heed Him. They listen and heed men more instead, and the more worldly credentials those men have, the more they trust in them.

James Macbeth

May 17, 2022
College Station
m.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Where you getting that 'emptied of it' idea? That shows you still... do not understand the parable.

Did you not look at that John 14:26 reference I gave? What is one of the things The Holy Spirit is given to us for? To TEACH us.

Jesus speaking...

John 14:26
26 But the Comforter, Which is the Holy Ghost, Whom the Father will send in My name, He shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you.

KJV

How did God give His Word through His servants to write down? By The Holy Spirit (2 Peter 1:21). So The Holy Spirit must have something to do with understanding God's Word, right?

What was Christ's subject He was covering in the Matthew 24 Chapter just prior to His giving of the ten virgins parable in Matthew 25? The Signs of the end of this world leading up to His future return that He COMMANDED us to 'watch' for.

The Oil represents The Holy Spirit, because Jesus and His Apostles promised the gift of The Holy Spirit by Faith on Jesus Christ (Acts 2:38).

But how many believers actually listen and heed... The Holy Spirit when He is trying to TEACH us? I see more brethren busy listening to the world and men's teachings instead of getting understanding by listening to The Holy Spirit. There's the case with the five foolish virgins. The Holy Spirit is there for them, but they don't listen to or heed Him. They listen and heed men more instead, and the more worldly credentials those men have, the more they trust in them.
St. Gregory teaches, that by the lamps, faith is meant; and by the light, good works. Hence he concludes that the bad, although they have lamps, i.e. faith, no less than the good, shall be excluded; because their lamps are out, i.e. their faith is dead, without charity and good works to enlighten them. (hom. xii.)

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Ver. 1. Ten virgins. By these are signified all mankind. By the bridegroom, Christ; by the bride, the Church; by oil, grace and charity. (Witham) --- The kingdom of heaven is not unfrequently compared to the Church militant; which, as it is composed of both just and wicked, reprobate and elect, is deservedly compared to five wise and five foolish virgins: the wise constantly aspiring after their blessed country; the foolish, with all their fasts and austerities, wishing to procure nothing more than the empty esteem of men. (St. Gregory) --- Went out to meet the bridegroom and the bride; in the Greek, it is simply, before the bridegroom. The custom among the Jews was, that the bridegroom should go to fetch his spouse, and conduct her with solemnity to his house. (Bible de Vence) --- This was the conclusive ceremony, and done in the night-time. The young women of the vicinity, in order to do her honour, went to meet her with lighted lamps. Modern travellers inform us, that this custom still obtains with the eastern nations, particularly the Persians. Hence the Latin phrase, ducere uxorem, to marry.

Ver. 4. But the wise took oil. Under this parable, we have the state of all Christians in their mortal pilgrimage justly delineated. The wise took oil in their lamps, the necessary qualifications of grace and charity, joined with divine faith, and an additional supply of oil in their vessels; i.e. they laid up in store for themselves a solid foundation of good works. St. Gregory teaches, that by the lamps, faith is meant; and by the light, good works. Hence he concludes that the bad, although they have lamps, i.e. faith, no less than the good, shall be excluded; because their lamps are out, i.e. their faith is dead, without charity and good works to enlighten them. (hom. xii.) --- St. Augustine also declares, that these lighted lamps are good works, viz. works of mercy and good conversation, which shine forth before men. (ep. 120. chap. xxxiii.) --- And, that this oil is a right inward intention, directing all our works to the greater glory of God, and not to the praise of ourselves in the sight of men. (Idem. ibid. [St. Augustine, ep. 120. chap. xxxiii.]) --- The foolish virgins had a little oil in their lamps at first, sufficient to shine before men, by some little external shew of piety, or certain works done through fear, profit, or human respects; but had made no provision of oil in their vessels, i.e. in their hearts and conscience, no provision of solid piety and charity, by means of which they might, like the prudent virgins, produce good works to salvation. (Jansenius)

Ver. 5. And while the bridegroom (Jesus Christ) tarried, i.e. delayed his coming, and thus protracted the time of repentance, they all slumbered and slept; viz. they all died. Hence St. Paul, nolo vos ignorare de dormientibus. But the reason why Jesus Christ says they slumbered is, because they were to rise again: and by the expression, whilst the bridegroom tarried, Christ wishes to shew us that a very short time will elapse between his first and second coming. (St. Jerome)

Ver. 6. There was a cry. So shall we all have to rise again at the sound of the last trumpet, to meet our judge, either like the wise virgins, who having their oil ready, and their lamps trimmed and burning, soon prepare themselves to give in their accounts to their Lord; or, like the foolish, who having made no provision of the oil of good works, are compelled to seek it at the time they are to be judged. (St. Augustine) --- It is said he will come at midnight; i.e. when least expected.

Ver. 8. For our lamps are gone out. Thus too many trusting to their faith alone, and leading a tepid indifference life, are negligent in preparing themselves by good works for the coming of the bridegroom. But when they perceived themselves called away from this life, to go and meet their judge, they then begin to find their lamps extinguished, and to think of procuring for themselves the oil of good works, by bequeathing their effects to the poor. Though we ought not to despair of the salvation of these, still there is great room to fear; for, a death-bed repentance is seldom sincere, more seldom, or never perfect, and always uncertain. (Jansenius)

Ver. 9. Go ye rather to them that sell. The wise virgins do not here advise the foolish to go and buy, but upbraid them for the poor store of good works they have laid up. They had before only sought the praises of men in their good actions, and therefore are answered by the wise: "go now to those to whom you have given all your actions; go and see what their praises will avail, what peace of conscience they can give you: and, if they have praised you, and made you esteemed in the eyes of men, see if they can do the same before God." (St. Augustine)

Ver. 10. And the door was shut. After the final day of judgment, there will be no room for prayers and good works. (St. Jerome) --- For, after having received those within its walls, who have put on in some degree the nature of the angels, the gate to the city of bliss is closed for ever. (St. Augustine)

Ver. 13. Watch ye. St. Augustine asks, how can we be always watching, it being necessary for each one to give himself sufficient time to sleep and rest from his many labours? He answers the question in these words: We may always keep watching to our hearts by faith, hope, charity, and all other good works. But when we awake, like the five wise virgins, we must arise and trim our lamps, by supplying them with the oil of good works. Then they will not go out, nor will the soothing oil of a good conscience be wanting to us. Then will the bridegroom come and introduce us to his house, where we shall never need sleep or rest; nor will our lamps ever be in danger of going out. Whilst we are in this life, we labour; and our lamps, blown about by the winds of innumerable temptations, are always in danger of being extinguished; but soon their flame shall become more brilliant, and the temptations we have suffered here shall not diminish, but increase its lustre. (St. Augustine, serm. xxiv.)

Sorry, I don't follow Catholic teachings. I'm a Protestant Christian. I've got a whole lot of old Bible commentaries too, and many of them are simply outdated because if they lived in our times, they would 'see' with spiritual eyes more clearly.

James Macbeth

May 17, 2022
College Station
m.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Matthew 18:17 And if he will not hear them: tell the church. And if he will not hear the church, let him be to thee as the heathen and publican.

You have been warned, quit your tomfoolery.

Listen to the elders who have gone before you.

The servant is not above the master.

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
St. Gregory teaches, that by the lamps, faith is meant; and by the light, good works. Hence he concludes that the bad, although they have lamps, i.e. faith, no less than the good, shall be excluded; because their lamps are out, i.e. their faith is dead, without charity and good works to enlighten them. (hom. xii.)

You could take up years... on just reading all those old commentaries. Once you ask God directly for understanding and then discipline yourself in His Word, you then begin to see a lot of speculations in those old commentaries.

Look at what Apostle Paul taught in 2 Corinthians 11 about the "another Jesus", and notice how he used the idea of presenting us to Christ as "a chaste virgin", not being deceived. Paul was pointing to the same idea of a false-Messiah imposter coming to deceive that Jesus was revealing in His Olivet discourse (Matthew 24:23-26). So why did Aoostle Paul use the idea of "a chaste virgin" for us?

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Matthew 18:17 And if he will not hear them: tell the church. And if he will not hear the church, let him be to thee as the heathen and publican.

You have been warned, quit your tomfoolery.

Listen to the elders who have gone before you.

The servant is not above the master.

I will NOT listen to Catholic teaching! And may God bless the Catholics who know better than heed all the Roman Church teaches too!!!

My ancestors in 15th century France were Huguenots, the first French Protestants. They fled France because of Catholic persecution, so GOD REBUKE YOU FOR TRYING TO PUSH YOUR CATHOLICISM UPON ME, you white-washed wall!