woman wearing pants

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I think people must take responsibility for their own thoughts and feelings and reactions. There is nothing wrong with women wearing any type of clothing as long as it covers them.

Do you mean that the clothing has to cover them completely? :D

Grams

Jul 11, 2017
brown city
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There sure must have been some thing back in the 1940's ,,, we did not all wear slacks.
My Mother would not let me,,,, so one day I went to the store bought a pair and wore them home so I could not
take them back, she had a fit over this.... and I was not able to wear them again for a few years.

Prayer Warrior

Sep 20, 2018
U.S.A.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
lets see if this will stir anyone.. does this scripture below say women are not to wear pants. your pentecostals and some baptist live and breath this.. i am not necessarily asking this out ofnot knowing.. but curious as to what prof yea or nay

The woman shall not wear that which pertaineth unto a man, neither shall a man put on a woman's garment: for all that do so are abomination unto the Lord thy God.Deuteronomy 22:5
Did men wear pants in Bible times when the scriptures pertaining to attire were written?

Reactions: bbyrd009

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Yes they did. Especially the priests serving in the temple 'that their nakedness not appear'.
Exodus 48:22 among others.

You have given a furphy and backed it up with a reference that does not exist unless you have the long pants version with all of the other laws that have been removed from my copy of Exodus.

God told them that they were not to have steps going up to his altar in this verse: -

Exodus 20:26: - Nor shall you go up by steps to My altar, that your nakedness may not be exposed on it.'​

Seems to suggest that the priests wore robes in this verse.

Truth

May 31, 2017
AZ, Quartzsite
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
lets see if this will stir anyone.. does this scripture below say women are not to wear pants. your pentecostals and some baptist live and breath this.. i am not necessarily asking this out ofnot knowing.. but curious as to what prof yea or nay

The woman shall not wear that which pertaineth unto a man, neither shall a man put on a woman's garment: for all that do so are abomination unto the Lord thy God.Deuteronomy 22:5

Culturally, when these Instructions were given most Garments were very similar. so when we try to determine what was Masculine and Feminine in that day and time what was expectable, are we even able to determine what is even expectable Today. I was just out today, this evening at the store, and there was a young couple ahead of me in line, and the young women was wearing a skirt, and my first thought was that, the two of them looked wholesome, they were not your typical young people of today. I am not trying to be critical, but they were different in appearance, which I found pleasant? Modesty should be the Key!

Reactions: Nancy

Preacher4Truth

Feb 15, 2019
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It's about men wearing culottes, so, they renamed them knickers and it's been good since. No one told the fundies though. Shhhh.

Reactions: SovereignGrace

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Culturally, when these Instructions were given most Garments were very similar. so when we try to determine what was Masculine and Feminine in that day and time what was expectable, are we even able to determine what is even expectable Today. I was just out today, this evening at the store, and there was a young couple ahead of me in line, and the young women was wearing a skirt, and my first thought was that, the two of them looked wholesome, they were not your typical young people of today. I am not trying to be critical, but they were different in appearance, which I found pleasant? Modesty should be the Key!
...then there will be Fundies who start claiming: Yes, but was the skirt floppy enough? Then others will start arguing that knee length is fine; then others will argue that, wait a minute, it's got to be knee length when sitting down, so in effect long and floppy when standing up; then the young lady in desperation - tired of all the Fundamentalists arguing about skirts - might put on her jeans again...

Last edited:
Reactions: Truth

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Not quite the Sydney Harbour bridge, but daughter and granddaughter were surprised the other day to see a kangaroo hop through the local traffic lights, just two weeks after moving to a new home. A suburb of Melbourne, but certainly not inner city .
Up here it's skunks, not kangaroos...

Truth

May 31, 2017
AZ, Quartzsite
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
...then there will be Fundies who start claiming: Yes, but was the skirt floppy enough? Then others will start arguing that knee length is fine; then others will argue that, wait a minute, it's got to be knee length when sitting down, so in effect long and floppy when standing up; then the young lady in desperation - tired of all the Fundamentalist arguing about skirts - might put on her jeans again...

Yes, I am old enough to have already heard these kind of stipulations, I am really not too concerned about what people wear, as it will always be what the Master excepts, an finds expectable, for you see I am not the Judge. Each and every Soul that proclaims that the Savior is their Master has to come to the place when They themselves consider what their Master think's about their Appearance. Scripture Stipulates!!! Modesty! Above All, Modesty!

Reactions: Pearl and Nancy
B

brakelite

You have given a furphy and backed it up with a reference that does not exist unless you have the long pants version with all of the other laws that have been removed from my copy of Exodus.

God told them that they were not to have steps going up to his altar in this verse: -

Exodus 20:26: - Nor shall you go up by steps to My altar, that your nakedness may not be exposed on it.'​

Seems to suggest that the priests wore robes in this verse.
Quite right. The real text was exodus 28:42. And yep, had nothing to do steps to the altar... Yet had the same effect.

Dan57

Sep 25, 2012
Illinois
Faith
Country
United States
I prefer women without pants......

Seriously though, I think the bible is just telling women to be women and men to be men. Its a shame for a man to try and look like a woman and vice versa.. We should identify with the sex that we were born to be, not transition into the sex we wish to be.

Reactions: Pearl

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Quite right. The real text was exodus 28:42. And yep, had nothing to do steps to the altar... Yet had the same effect.

Exodus 28:42-43: - 42 "Make linen undergarments as a covering for the body, reaching from the waist to the thigh. 43 Aaron and his sons must wear them whenever they enter the Tent of Meeting or approach the altar to minister in the Holy Place, so that they will not incur guilt and die.
NIV

Exodus 28:42-43: -
42 And you shall make for them linen trousers to cover their nakedness; they shall reach from the waist to the thighs. 43 They shall be on Aaron and on his sons when they come into the tabernacle of meeting, or when they come near the altar to minister in the holy place, that they do not incur iniquity and die. It shall be a statute forever to him and his descendants after him.
NKJV

So were they allowed to show their knees then when dressed up for their Priestly duties?

Was not the High priest required to change his garments after entering the temple before entering the Holy of Holies?

So were the undergarments required for them changing their robes within the temple so that their nakedness was not on show during tis activity?

Still, did they not also wear a robe as their outer garment which covered their ankles?

Where not pomegranates attached to the hem of the High Priest's robe before he entered the Holy of Holies along with a bell in case he fell over dead while in there?

So should we have a room next to the church's entry to check if the people entering the sanctuary of the church are wearing under garments or not? :p:D:rolleyes:

SovereignGrace

Certified Flunky
Feb 15, 2019
Crum, WVa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes they did. Especially the priests serving in the temple 'that their nakedness not appear'.
Exodus 48:22 among others.

In Exodus 28:42, the KJV call them 'breeches', the NASB calls them undergarments. These were not pants like we wear today, but rather, more like long drawers worn under pants during winter. They wore these undergarments under their robes. Plus, they were more like shorts, seeing they were “Make linen undergarments as a covering for the body, reaching from the waist to the thigh".[Exodus 28:42 NIV]

Reactions: Prayer Warrior

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Modesty is measured differently in various cultures, ranging from complete cover up to hardly-there clothing but these are extremes and neither is right for the Christian woman. And whether we choose to wear trousers or jeans, skirts or dresses our choice is nobody's business but our own.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Modesty is measured differently in various cultures, ranging from complete cover up to hardly-there clothing but these are extremes and neither is right for the Christian woman. And whether we choose to wear trousers or jeans, skirts or dresses our choice is nobody's business but our own.
It's indeed actually rather mainstream to wear jeans:

Womens-Bible-Study-MAIN.jpg
calvarychurch dot com

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I wouldn't say completely, but some women could stand to cover more than they do. :(
Jeans are a staple for so many situations and I guess a lot of women would say they are a really good idea.

Fact is also, that reputable wardrobe consultants may now stipulate the following:

"Skirt Length for Office
For the office, your skirt length must not be below your knees."
What Is The Perfect Skirt Or Dress Length? – Fair Reporters

Hyper-conservative religious people can wear what they themselves want, but they cannot give today's young ppl a hard time because of things like now reasonable hemlines, earrings, or whatever it may be.

Soverign Grace

Sep 15, 2018
Palmyra
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I don't interpret that verse to mean women aren't to wear pants. I used to have to wear a uniform to work - a dress - and in the winter when the doors of the store would open, ice cold air used to freeze all of the female cashiers who were forced to wear a dress. I don't think God would hold it against women to dress comfortably. I think the verse means that women shouldn't dress to look like a man.

Reactions: Pearl and Truth