World out of oil in 38 years

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Does this concern you?

• yes

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • no

Votes: 4 80.0%
  • I could care less

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I did the research; Now you help me get the word out (BEFORE IT'S TOO LATE!!!)

The World’s Largest Oil Reserves By Country

Proven oil reserves are those that have a reasonable certainty of being recoverable under existing economic and political conditions, with existing technology.

10. United States - 39,230 million barrels
9. Libya - 48,363 million barrels
8. Russia - 80,000 million barrels
7. United Arab Emirates - 97,800 million barrels
6. Kuwait - 101,500 million barrels
5. Iraq - 142,503 million barrels
4. Iran - 158,400 million barrels
3. Canada - 169,709 million barrels
2. Saudi Arabia - 266,455 million barrels
1. Venezuela - 300,878 million barrels
The World’s Largest Oil Reserves By Country

the above adds up to---- 1,304,838 million barrels

The total worldwide oil consumption was 93 million barrels per day (bbl/day) on average in 2015 according to the International Energy Agency (IEA).
List of countries by oil consumption - Wikipedia

93 million a day X 356 days = 33,945 a year

1304838/33945 = 38 years then it's all gone!!!

Help us create a better future for our children NOW!!!!!

That is 38 years to deplete the 'reserves'. I don't understand the worry. As long as oil is still being pumped out of the ground, the reserves are in tact. You can't count the 38 years till there is no more oil being pumped out of the ground.

Perhaps I am not seeing something here.

Stranger

Lady Crosstalk

Feb 16, 2019
Ontario
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada

LOL China? The pollution capital of the world? That China? They had to do something about their horrible air pollution (thus the ban on cars). It was either that or outfit everyone in Beijing with scuba gear. You can't safely breathe the air in most Chinese cities, you can't drink the water, and you really can't safely eat the food grown there. They have whole industrial cities that the Chinese call "cancer cities". Wealthy Chinese individuals make sure that they only eat imported food. They would never eat food grown in China.

Last edited:

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That is 38 years to deplete the 'reserves'. I don't understand the worry. As long as oil is still being pumped out of the ground, the reserves are in tact. You can't count the 38 years till there is no more oil being pumped out of the ground.

Stranger
Hi Stranger,

They mean the amount of oil they believe to be in the ground and will be recoverable.

But then, there seems to be reason to think there's more to it:

Are Oil Wells Recharging Themselves? | OilPrice.com

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There is the notion that oil is a "fossil fuel", and, if that's what it is, and fossils take so long to form, then we run out. But if that assumption isn't true, then all this is based on a faulty premise. If oil and gas fields are in fact refilling, perhaps as an action between the crust and the mantle, as some theorize, then there could be oil for who knows how long. If the earth produces oil as a byproduct of some interior chemical reaction - there are supposedly hydrocarbons throughout the galaxy, with or without dinos - then oil may continue being produced as long as the earth remains.

Some interesting stuff!

One really good point I've heard speaking of coal as a "fossil fuel" is the fact of actual fossils found within coal, including extremely tiny, delicate, fragile fern leaves, the structure intact, with coal both inside and outside the fossilized cell walls, with the plant structure, again, fully intact.

This tells us that the leaf was engulfed in a liquid, which seeped into the plant, and which then turned to a solid. You can't really have a coal seam in the ground that is there because a massive layer of dinos et al decomped into goo which turned to coal, but you have this tiny little leaf that didn't.

Much love!

Reactions: Lady Crosstalk

Lady Crosstalk

Feb 16, 2019
Ontario
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Hi Stranger,

They mean the amount of oil they believe to be in the ground and will be recoverable

The Russians have been researching "abiotic" oil for some decades already and are fairly confident that the theory is true based on their experiments. They would have no reason to fake it because it would make their own oil less valuable if the supply is as unlimited as it appears. The main reason why I believe that the theory of abiotic oil (not made of living organisms and constantly welling up from deeper in the earth's crust) is probably accurate is because the universe appears to be full of hydrocarbons. There were no dinosaurs on the other planets even in our own solar system--in fact, no life at all. Yet they all have some measure of hydrocarbons.

Reactions: marks

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi Stranger,

They mean the amount of oil they believe to be in the ground and will be recoverable.

I see. Well, excuse the pun, the U.S. imports a lot of oil. Many ask why? Much better to use up other peoples oil and save ours for later.

If and when the oil runs out, the A-raabs are back to riding camels. Their influence is over. Silver lining behind every cloud.

Stranger

Lady Crosstalk

Feb 16, 2019
Ontario
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I see. Well, excuse the pun, the U.S. imports a lot of oil. Many ask why? Much better to use up other peoples oil and save ours for later.

If and when the oil runs out, the A-raabs are back to riding camels. Their influence is over. Silver lining behind every cloud.

Stranger

One thing that I can tell you from a Canadian perspective (the U.S. is now an oil-exporting nation btw) is that the only reason why the U.S. imports oil from Canada is because they get it at bargain-basement prices. But the domestic market for Canadian oil is tiny compared to the supply, so Uncle Sugar comes through and takes it off our hands at the "appropriate" discount, of course. :rolleyes: But then, it does us no good if it just sits there underground anyway, so it's all good.

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
One thing that I can tell you from a Canadian perspective (the U.S. is now an oil-exporting nation btw) is that the only reason why the U.S. imports oil from Canada is because they get it at bargain-basement prices. But the domestic market for Canadian oil is tiny compared to the supply, so Uncle Sugar comes through and takes it off our hands at the "appropriate" discount, of course. :rolleyes: But then, it does us no good if it just sits there underground anyway, so it's all good.

Uncle Sam is like that. My personal opinion is the oil shortage is much like climate change. Something to use to create more unnecessary laws and restrictions and money for oil companies.

Stranger

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Reports from researchers in the last decade have discovered oil reproducing in abundance...so who knows. But if it does they already have alternate sources of energy that have been invented or discovered. I do believe we will see less dependence on oil in the future. Especially in the automotive industry.

tooldtocare

Jan 24, 2014
far side of the moon
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Correct. And, in fact, those who actually understand science and technology, say that any plan to use solar and/or wind energy (as a replacement for oil/hydrocarbons) is something of a pipe dream.
Get a grip, wind and solar can produce electric energy that can be stored for future use.

The problem of getting wind and solar electrical power from where it is produced to where it is needed, is not a trivial one.
We already have the power grid in place.

The junkiest idea so far, is the "bright idea" of using all-electric vehicles (there is a reason why the early electric cars at the dawn of the auto age, gave way to gasoline-powered vehicles).
Electric cars were not economical way back then because gasoline was cheaper. The point of this discussion is simple enough, we are running out of oil; so what's next-?
The people who actually know (electrical engineers) say it is utterly impractical to think that we will be able to do all-electric transportation any time soon.
The drive towards all electric is already taking place in other countries. Maybe it would be best if you went back to your (electrical engineers) and ask them if all electric transportation is as impractical as you wrongly believe.
1) Our aging electrical grid could never supply the power we would need.
It's doing just fine right now.
2)The generation of electricity is NOT "carbon free"--coal and natural gas are the two biggest fuels for generating electricity.
Wake up!!! Coal and natural gas are finite fuels.
Nuclear power is also impractical for several reasons--that of public concern about safety and there is a real shortage in the supply of uranium
We use nuclear electric generation plants right now and we will continue to do so.
(and thanks to the Dems--especially Hillary Clinton, what we do produce, goes to the Russians).
Hillary and the Dems have nothing to do with this topic. Take your cry baby ranting elsewhere.
3)There is a severe shortage of supply of rare earth elements (thanks again to the Dems) which is needed to supply any new battery technology created here.
Oh poor baby, still ranting about the dems and Hillary. Wake up !!
Guess who has a lock-up on the supply of rare earth elements? China.
China is switching it's economy to run on renewables & if they have rare earth elements so what-?

tooldtocare

Jan 24, 2014
far side of the moon
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Stranger

The graphs show oil well production decline over time

OIL WELLS DECLINE.jpg
Oil depletion - Wikipediaoil decline.png

Last edited:

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

tooldtocare

Jan 24, 2014
far side of the moon
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Didnt Carter or one of the presidents back in the late 70s and early 80s order production cut in half because of fear of depleting our resources?
Fossil fuels (oil) is "finite"; period.
I didn’t come here to post doom and gloom. I researched known reserves and the amount we use on an annual basis. From there I posted my results. The fact is more oil wells are drying up than new ones being found. I’m only posting this stuff because ----

I am concerned for my grandchildren’s future; I’ll be dead before the panic arrives. My hope is people wake up and make the needed changes before the panic is at our door step.

Last edited:

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Fossil fuels (oil) is "finite; period.
I didn’t come here to post doom and gloom. I researched known reserves and the amount we use on an annual basis. From there I posted my results. The fact is more oil wells are drying up than new ones being found. I’m only posting this stuff because ----

I am concerned for my grandchildren’s future; I’ll be dead before the panic arrives. My hope is people wake up and make the needed changes before the panic is at our door step.
I don't see the end of oil as an energy source to be such a major concern. With the technology today developing new sources of energy we should be fine. They have discovered how to make fuel out of algae.
How to Make Biofuel With Algae

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Fuel to power our engines is not the only thing we get from a barrel of oil. For one, we get plastics from oil and then the list goes on--
View attachment 6532
We will adjust...but to stress over what the future will be like when or if we do run out is hardly the most immediate concern which is war...it is imminent...just a matter of time. That concerns me more than the oil shortage.

Lady Crosstalk

Feb 16, 2019
Ontario
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Get a grip, wind and solar can produce electric energy that can be stored for future use.
Yes, but at what cost? At $1 billion for a storage facility, not too likely that enough will be built to make much of a difference in the energy basket.

We already have the power grid in place.
Yes, but it is carrying at peak capacity in some areas already. It will never be able to carry enough power to supply the needs of the transportation sector. It will have to be replaced and the costs will be enormous.

Electric cars were not economical way back then because gasoline was cheaper. The point of this discussion is simple enough, we are running out of oil; so what's next-?
The Russians believe that petroleum is "abiotic" and that it is unlimited. They have no political axe to grind in stating that, because if there was "peak oil," it would make their own oil worth more per barrel. hint: Economics 101--if there is a scarcity or perceived scarcity, a commodity will be more highly valued. Some other poster has pointed out that "peak oil" has been projected for several decades already and we were supposed to have run out by now. Yet, there are more proven reserves than ever.

The drive towards all electric is already taking place in other countries. Maybe it would be best if you went back to your (electrical engineers) and ask them if all electric transportation is as impractical as you wrongly believe.
Don Quixote thought it was a good idea to go charging at windmills too. My skepticism comes from discussions with several electrical engineers who work in the power generating sector!

The cynics in the debate say that, like the "climate change" scam, "peak oil" is about making some people rich off the backs of hard-working middle class people. The elites have always looked on the productive middle classes as "cash cows".

It's doing just fine right now.
LOL. Wait till every home is charging up little electric cars every night--not to mention the trains, planes and trucks that the Don Quixotes want to electrify.

Wake up!!! Coal and natural gas are finite fuels.
We have so much natural gas under the land of N. America that it is a wonder it doesn't spontaneously blow up (joke). There is at least a 200-year supply. It is cheap and clean burning--why not use it until we can come up with a better idea?

We use nuclear electric generation plants right now and we will continue to do so.
When the uranium runs out (and it actually IS in short supply) we will be out of the nuclear energy business--which can't come soon enough for me considering the enormous disasters that it causes. Granted, there aren't very many but when things do go bad in nuclear facilities, it gets VERY bad. Do you realize how many nuclear power generating plants are on geological fault lines?

Hillary and the Dems have nothing to do with this topic. Take your cry baby ranting elsewhere.
Yes, it does--it relates to the shortage of uranium in the U.S. Meanwhile, she and hubby have cornered the uranium market in Kazakhstan. Surprise, surprise. :rolleyes:

China is switching it's economy to run on renewables & if they have rare earth elements so what-?
LOL--what do you think is necessary to further develop and manufacture storage batteries? (Gee--did you guess rare earth elements?) Will China supply us only on the condition that they can continue to rob us of industry and jobs?

Last edited:

tooldtocare

Jan 24, 2014
far side of the moon
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We will adjust...but to stress over what the future will be like when or if we do run out is hardly the most immediate concern which is war...it is imminent...just a matter of time.
Wars will just accelerate the burning of what energy resources we have which as you know brings dooms day sooner rather than later. The best approach is to gather together working on solutions towards a renewable energy future.