Yield or Resistance

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Urok

Feb 4, 2024
NY
10581813.blogspot.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
For Christian Believers that Believe life is Destiny created by God:
Would it be true that every Behavior and Word spoken is either Yielding to the Holy Spirit or Resisting the Holy Spirit?

JohnDB

Feb 7, 2010
TN
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Demand resistance takes over....nope.

Scott Downey

Dec 19, 2021
New Brunswick
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Luke 20:17-19
New King James Version
17 Then He looked at them and said, “What then is this that is written:

‘The stone which the builders rejected
Has become the chief cornerstone’?

18 Whoever falls on that stone will be broken; but on whomever it falls, it will grind him to powder.”

19 And the chief priests and the scribes that very hour sought to lay hands on Him, but they [a]feared the people—for they knew He had spoken this parable against them.

Scott Downey

Dec 19, 2021
New Brunswick
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Stumble (fall) on the rock which is Christ.
Note that 1 Peter 2, 7-8 is the same thing when Jesus talks of Himself being the rock of stumbling in Luke 20

Matthew 26:33
Peter answered and said to Him, “Even if all are made to stumble because of You, I will never be made to stumble.”

But Peter did stumble on the rock when he denied Christ three times saying he never knew Him and started swearing. He did just as Christ told him he would, just as was foretold. Christ knows all men and all things before they ever happened. He knew all men from the beginning before they were even created, and everything that would happen. All God's works were finished from the foundation of the world, including He foreknew those He would save, in eternity past He knew everyday of their life. We who are saved are elect according to foreknowledge. God knew exactly what He would do before the world was, before anyone had done anything good or bad.

Mark 4:17
and they have no root in themselves, and so endure only for a time. Afterward, when tribulation or persecution arises for the word’s sake, immediately they stumble.

Mark 9:42

Jesus Warns of Offenses​

“But whoever causes one of these little ones who believe in Me to stumble, it would be better for him if a millstone were hung around his neck, and he were thrown into the sea.

Mark 14:27

Jesus Predicts Peter’s Denial​

Then Jesus said to them, “All of you will be made to stumble because of Me this night, for it is written: ‘I will strike the Shepherd, And the sheep will be scattered.’

John 16:1

Jesus Warns and Comforts His Disciples​

“These things I have spoken to you, that you should not be made to stumble.

Romans 9:32
Why? Because they did not seek it by faith, but as it were, by the works of the law. For they stumbled at that stumbling stone.

1 Peter 2:8
7 Therefore, to you who believe, He is precious; but to those who [a]are disobedient,

“The stone which the builders rejected
Has become the chief cornerstone,”

8 and

“A stone of stumbling
And a rock of offense.”

They stumble, being disobedient to the word, to which they also were appointed.

Last edited:

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
For Christian Believers that Believe life is Destiny created by God:
Would it be true that every Behavior and Word spoken is either Yielding to the Holy Spirit or Resisting the Holy Spirit?
God gave man free volition and has restored free will to believers.

He gives us the path to walk on but does not direct the day to day choices we make like what we eatr, wear, etc. If God desires a certain food on a certain day, He tells us otherwise it is left to us.

As for words? God gives us the rule on how our conversation should be, but does allow us free reign to present our speech within the guidelines He dictated.

Urok

Feb 4, 2024
NY
10581813.blogspot.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yeah thanks for everybody’s input.

I personally think the whole Destiny/FreeWill/Fate thing could be a Formula that our Minds Hearts and Brains Cannot Comprehend.

For we as humans Cannot determine the Origin of God other than: He is the Origin.

Maybe what we can comprehend will Change in Eternity. Peace

Reactions: Scott Downey

Scott Downey

Dec 19, 2021
New Brunswick
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Yeah thanks for everybody’s input.

I personally think the whole Destiny/FreeWill/Fate thing could be a Formula that our Minds Hearts and Brains Cannot Comprehend.

For we as humans Cannot determine the Origin of God other than: He is the Origin.

Maybe what we can comprehend will Change in Eternity. Peace
Psalm 139 is a good read about God's perfect foreknowledge. And Him in charge of our days. This is written from the perspective of Those God has foreknown as belonging to Him, so for saved people.

Your eyes saw my substance, being yet unformed.
And in Your book they all were written,
The days fashioned for me,
When as yet there were none of them.

Romans 8,9, 10, 11 is also good as is 1 Peter 1
14 What shall we say then? Is there unrighteousness with God? Certainly not! 15 For He says to Moses, “I will have mercy on whomever I will have mercy, and I will have compassion on whomever I will have compassion.” 16 So then it is not of him who wills, nor of him who runs, but of God who shows mercy. 17 For the Scripture says to the Pharaoh, “For this very purpose I have raised you up, that I may show My power in you, and that My name may be declared in all the earth.” 18 Therefore He has mercy on whom He wills, and whom He wills He hardens.

19 You will say to me then, “Why does He still find fault? For who has resisted His will?” 20 But indeed, O man, who are you to reply against God? Will the thing formed say to him who formed it, “Why have you made me like this?” 21 Does not the potter have power over the clay, from the same lump to make one vessel for honor and another for dishonor?

Last edited:

Scott Downey

Dec 19, 2021
New Brunswick
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada

What does Romans 9:21 mean?​

Paul is responding to imagined questions from readers of his letter. He has been making the case that God can and does give mercy to whomever He wishes. He does this based on nothing more than His own purposes and glory (Romans 9:15–16). Nobody "deserves" grace and mercy, by definition (Romans 3:10; 3:23). So there's nothing unfair or unjust about God granting mercy to some, and none to others. Nor is there anything wrong with God purposefully using His creations to demonstrate His glory (Romans 9:17–18).

Paul's last example was that of Pharaoh, in the Exodus, who experienced a God-hardened heart which contributed to God raining more plagues down on Egypt. Paul imagines his readers asking, in essence, "How could God blame Pharaoh for being resistant if Pharaoh had no choice in the matter?"

In the prior verse, Paul turned the tables: Who are we, as mere humans, to question God? More to the point, how can we, as created things, question our Maker?

Following that idea, Paul asks if a potter has the right to make whatever he wants from the clay. Is he allowed to make from the same lump one pot for "honorable" things, such as holding flowers or valuables, and another pot for "dishonorable" things, such as a toilet or waste bin? Of course, the potter has an absolute right to do whatever he wants with the clay. And God has an absolute right to do whatever He wants with man.

Paul's case that God can do as He likes corrects our usual thinking about God and us. The Maker gets to decide what He will make and what He will do with it. The thing which has been made has no say in that, morally or otherwise, no matter how loudly we might complain.

Paul's response is harsh, but it's absolutely beyond argument. That combination of truth and humility is why his point is hard for us to take. Paul will modify this point slightly in the verses to follow, emphasizing God's love and mercy to some, but not to all. His larger point will be that though God is loving, kind, and just, He does not owe anything to any human person. Everything He gives to us is a gift of grace.

This, in fact, is a key point in appreciating the gospel. If God owed some people, or any people His mercy, then it would remove the element of grace (Romans 4:2–5; 11:6). The reason Scripture speaks of God's love in such amazing terms (John 3:16) is because that love is unearned and undeserved. These are two inseparable sides of the same coin: God has the sovereign right to do anything He wants with His own creation, and yet He chooses to show some of us profound mercy through salvation.

Urok

Feb 4, 2024
NY
10581813.blogspot.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Scott hey man thanks for the info and help.

I have a hard time believing that all Eternity is Already Determined by God.

If Everything is Already Determined it would be like we as People are Not actually making Choices or doing things ourselves because God is doing it all. That is because we are all just living out what is to be.

Also if everything is created by God, that would mean the devil was created by God to be evil and do evil. It would seem that the devil is less of a fallen evil angel and more like simply a test created by God.

I am sticking to my opinion and theory that life is a combination of fate, free will, destiny, God’s works, our choices, etc

It is like a formula that God can understand but we as humans currently do not have the capacity to understand. Peace

Scott Downey

Dec 19, 2021
New Brunswick
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
@Scott hey man thanks for the info and help.

I have a hard time believing that all Eternity is Already Determined by God.

If Everything is Already Determined it would be like we as People are Not actually making Choices or doing things ourselves because God is doing it all. That is because we are all just living out what is to be.

Also if everything is created by God, that would mean the devil was created by God to be evil and do evil. It would seem that the devil is less of a fallen evil angel and more like simply a test created by God.

I am sticking to my opinion and theory that life is a combination of fate, free will, destiny, God’s works, our choices, etc

It is like a formula that God can understand but we as humans currently do not have the capacity to understand. Peace
I view this sort of like we make choices as we are taught to understand them. Not all are personally taught by God to come to Christ as obviously some never heard the gospel and not everyone who does hear believes, as they did not hear from God personally inside their spirits.

We do for example receive Christ as our choice, as we have been taught by God to know who Christ is, meaning our savior.
This is not 'forced', God does not believe for us, we do believe, but then again, our belief God has granted to us.

" It is written in the prophets, ‘And they shall all be taught by God.’ Therefore everyone who [i]has heard and learned from the Father comes to Me. "

The above quote from Christ is referring all of the group God will save. All of that group, which is a subgroup of all people, are the ones God teaches, they learn from the Father God and come to Christ as in believe in Christ.

examples here, and the ones who did recive Him, had been born of God.
John 1
10 He was in the world, and the world was made through Him, and the world did not know Him. 11 He came to His [c]own, and His [d]own did not receive Him. 12 But as many as received Him, to them He gave the [e]right to become children of God, to those who believe in His name: 13 who were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God.

John 6
41 The Jews then [g]complained about Him, because He said, “I am the bread which came down from heaven.” 42 And they said, “Is not this Jesus, the son of Joseph, whose father and mother we know? How is it then that He says, ‘I have come down from heaven’?”

43 Jesus therefore answered and said to them, [h]“Do not murmur among yourselves. 44 No one can come to Me unless the Father who sent Me draws him; and I will raise him up at the last day. 45 It is written in the prophets, ‘And they shall all be taught by God.’ Therefore everyone who [i]has heard and learned from the Father comes to Me. 46 Not that anyone has seen the Father, except He who is from God; He has seen the Father. 47 Most assuredly, I say to you, he who believes [j]in Me has everlasting life. 48 I am the bread of life.

Then here is some more about God granting to us our believing in Christ
Philippians 1
27 Only let your conduct be worthy of the gospel of Christ, so that whether I come and see you or am absent, I may hear of your affairs, that you stand fast in one spirit, with one mind striving together for the faith of the gospel, 28 and not in any way terrified by your adversaries, which is to them a proof of perdition, but [f]to you of salvation, and that from God. 29 For to you it has been granted on behalf of Christ, not only to believe in Him, but also to suffer for His sake, 30 having the same conflict which you saw in me and now hear is in me.

John 6
60 Therefore many of His disciples, when they heard this, said, “This is a [m]hard saying; who can understand it?”

61 When Jesus knew in Himself that His disciples [n]complained about this, He said to them, “Does this [o]offend you? 62 What then if you should see the Son of Man ascend where He was before? 63 It is the Spirit who gives life; the flesh profits nothing. The words that I speak to you are spirit, and they are life. 64 But there are some of you who do not believe.” For Jesus knew from the beginning who they were who did not believe, and who would betray Him. 65 And He said, “Therefore I have said to you that no one can come to Me unless it has been granted to him by My Father.”

66 From that time many of His disciples went [p]back and walked with Him no more.

Scott Downey

Dec 19, 2021
New Brunswick
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Whether people agree with or disagree with various scriptures and their resultant differing beliefs, simply has no bearing on what actually simply is.
Like God says, I Am that I Am.

Luke 10

Jesus Rejoices in the Spirit​

21 In that hour Jesus rejoiced in the Spirit and said, “I thank You, Father, Lord of heaven and earth, that You have hidden these things from the wise and prudent and revealed them to babes. Even so, Father, for so it seemed good in Your sight.

22 All[g] things have been delivered to Me by My Father, and no one knows who the Son is except the Father, and who the Father is except the Son, and the one to whom the Son wills to reveal Him.

23 Then He turned to His disciples and said privately, “Blessed are the eyes which see the things you see; 24 for I tell you that many prophets and kings have desired to see what you see, and have not seen it, and to hear what you hear, and have not heard it.

Scott Downey

Dec 19, 2021
New Brunswick
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
John 6
35 And Jesus said to them, “I am the bread of life. He who comes to Me shall never hunger, and he who believes in Me shall never thirst.

36 But I said to you that you have seen Me and yet do not believe.

37 All that the Father gives Me will come to Me, and the one who comes to Me I will [f]by no means cast out

38 For I have come down from heaven, not to do My own will, but the will of Him who sent Me.

39 This is the will of the Father who sent Me, that of all He has given Me I should lose nothing, but should raise it up at the last day.

40 And this is the will of Him who sent Me, that everyone who sees the Son and believes in Him may have everlasting life; and I will raise him up at the last day.”