You and your Mother

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Rach1370

Apr 17, 2010
Australia
Usually, I called her mum. Still do!
If you're referring to when Jesus called his mother 'woman' I really think you need to take the culture into consideration. If we called our mothers 'woman' today, that would earn us a wack! But back then it was a term of respect, like calling them 'lady' or 'ma'am'...or perhaps 'daughter'. There was no tone infused into it as we'd hear today. I think when it comes down to it we can trust Jesus not to be sinful...which would include disrespecting his mother!!

winc

Jul 25, 2012
UK/England
If you're referring to when Jesus called his mother 'woman' I really think you need to take the culture into consideration. If we called our mothers 'woman' today, that would earn us a wack! But back then it was a term of respect, like calling them 'lady' or 'ma'am'...or perhaps 'daughter'. There was no tone infused into it as we'd hear today. I think when it comes down to it we can trust Jesus not to be sinful...which would include disrespecting his mother!!

it is still used today - if I introduced the woman I was with and said "this is my woman" what would I mean or if I said "me and my woman" - of course we must examine the context and the situation where it was used by Christ etc - winc

Mungo

May 23, 2012
England
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom

Jesus initially called Mary Magdalene "woman" (Jn 20:15) but according to one comentator I have read there is not one known instance in ancient literature of a son addressing his mother as "woman".

Teenagers address their mother as "mum" when they are in a good mood, or want something - "Mum can I borrow £5". But as "mother" then they have a complaint or are embarrased by something their mother has done - "Oh Mother"!............." (- fill in the dots). :D

winc

Jul 25, 2012
UK/England
Jesus initially called Mary Magdalene "woman" (Jn 20:15) but according to one comentator I have read there is not one known instance in ancient literature of a son addressing his mother as "woman".

Teenagers address their mother as "mum" when they are in a good mood, or want something - "Mum can I borrow £5". But as "mother" then they have a complaint or are embarrased by something their mother has done - "Oh Mother"!............." (- fill in the dots). :D

hello Mungo thanks for that info - so how would Mary react to this unless there was a common understanding regarding the beloved disciple not only beloved of Jesus but also beloved of His mother etc - winc

Mungo

May 23, 2012
England
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
hello Mungo - so how would Mary react to this unless there was a common understanding regarding the beloved disciple not only beloved of Jesus but also beloved of His mother etc - winc

I see you have joined the dots forwards to the cross.

Now join the dots backwards to the garden of Eden.

As to Mary's reaction - His mother said to the servants, "Do whatever he tells you."