You do nothing Good

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, you are right @Wynona.

Though remember those good things are coming from God above through you by the Holy Spirit/ spirit of Christ with-in you.

As a believer in the Gospel of Christ in the life, death, burial and resurrection one is dying with Christ and burying the old man with Christ but raised again to walk in newness of life which is walking by the spirit in faith.

As long as one doesn’t ascribe it to themselves that they are thankful and thanking God for the things he produces in the life of a person that is the good work. Abiding in Christ which by faith produces love. (1 Corinthians 13).

“Do not be deceived, my beloved brethren. Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, and comes down from the Father of lights, with whom there is no variation or shadow of turning. Of His own will He brought us forth by the word of truth, that we might be a kind of firstfruits of His creatures.”
‭‭James‬ ‭1:16-18‬ ‭NKJV‬‬

With love to you in Christ sister,
Matthew G.

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Amen! Adam lost life for his prodigy, Jesus redeemed. Keep in mind however, Jesus' sacrifice redeemed all mankind, but like Adam, life depends upon obedience. Therefore like Adam, those who choose disobedience will not benefit from the ransom.

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Amen! Adam lost life for his prodigy, Jesus redeemed. Keep in mind however, Jesus' sacrifice redeemed all mankind, but like Adam, life depends upon obedience. Therefore like Adam, those who choose disobedience will not benefit from the ransom.
Obedience to what Robert? I agree with you, that life depends on obedience, but we aren't justified by it. We are justified by faith. Yet obedience is essential to life... Obedience to what?

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Obedience to what Robert? I agree with you, that life depends on obedience, but we aren't justified by it. We are justified by faith. Yet obedience is essential to life... Obedience to what?

the obedience of trust (faith).

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
the obedience of trust (faith).
Yes. Here's a quote from Desire of Ages...
In every gentle and submissive way, Jesus tried to please those with whom He came in contact. Because He was so gentle and unobtrusive, the scribes and elders supposed that He would be easily influenced by their teaching. They urged Him to receive the maxims and traditions that had been handed down from the ancient rabbis, but He asked for their authority in Holy Writ. He would hear every word that proceeds from the mouth of God; but He could not obey the inventions of men. Jesus seemed to know the Scriptures from beginning to end, and He presented them in their true import. The rabbis were ashamed to be instructed by a child. They claimed that it was their office to explain the Scriptures, and that it was His place to accept their interpretation. They were indignant that He should stand in opposition to their word.
They knew that no authority could be found in Scripture for their traditions. They realized that in spiritual understanding Jesus was far in advance of them. Yet they were angry because He did not obey their dictates. Failing to convince Him, they sought Joseph and Mary, and set before them His course of noncompliance. Thus He suffered rebuke and censure.
At a very early age, Jesus had begun to act for Himself in the formation of His character, and not even respect and love for His parents could turn Him from obedience to God's word. "It is written" was His reason for every act that varied from the family customs. But the influence of the rabbis made His life a bitter one. Even in His youth He had to learn the hard lesson of silence and patient endurance.
His brothers, as the sons of Joseph were called, sided with the rabbis. They insisted that the traditions must be heeded, as if they were the requirements of God. They even regarded the precepts of men more highly than the word of God, and they were greatly annoyed at the clear penetration of Jesus in distinguishing between the false and the true. His strict obedience to the law of God they condemned as stubbornness. They were surprised at the knowledge and wisdom He showed in answering the rabbis. They knew that He had not received instruction from the wise men, yet they could not but see that He was an instructor to them. They recognized that His education was of a higher type than their own. But they did not discern that He had access to the tree of life, a source of knowledge of which they were ignorant. DA 85.1 - DA 86.2

Reactions: stunnedbygrace

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
“for it is God who works in you both to will and to do for His good pleasure. Do all things without complaining and disputing, that you may become blameless and harmless, children of God without fault in the midst of a crooked and perverse generation, among whom you shine as lights in the world, holding fast the word of life, so that I may rejoice in the day of Christ that I have not run in vain or labored in vain.”
‭‭Philippians‬ ‭2:13-16‬ ‭NKJV‬‬

“Not that we are sufficient of ourselves to think of anything as being from ourselves, but our sufficiency is from God,”
‭‭II Corinthians‬ ‭3:5‬ ‭NKJV‬‬

“Now may the God of peace who brought up our Lord Jesus from the dead, that great Shepherd of the sheep, through the blood of the everlasting covenant, make you complete in every good work to do His will, working in you what is well pleasing in His sight, through Jesus Christ, to whom be glory forever and ever. Amen.”
‭‭Hebrews‬ ‭13:20-21‬ ‭NKJV‬‬

Here are more scriptures pertaining how it is God working in and through us my brother and sisters in Christ.

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, you are right @Wynona.

Though remember those good things are coming from God above through you by the Holy Spirit/ spirit of Christ with-in you.

As a believer in the Gospel of Christ in the life, death, burial and resurrection one is dying with Christ and burying the old man with Christ but raised again to walk in newness of life which is walking by the spirit in faith.

As long as one doesn’t ascribe it to themselves that they are thankful and thanking God for the things he produces in the life of a person that is the good work. Abiding in Christ which by faith produces love. (1 Corinthians 13).

“Do not be deceived, my beloved brethren. Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, and comes down from the Father of lights, with whom there is no variation or shadow of turning. Of His own will He brought us forth by the word of truth, that we might be a kind of firstfruits of His creatures.”
‭‭James‬ ‭1:16-18‬ ‭NKJV‬‬

With love to you in Christ sister,
Matthew G.

a believer is only a catechumen not a Christian
Faith and baptism Mk 16:16 acts 8:36-38

Christians still have free will and can chose to sin

Ziggy

Oct 19, 2020
Maine, USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Made in the image and likeness of God? What are these?

2Co 4:4 In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not, lest the light of the glorious gospel of Christ, who is the image of God, should shine unto them.

Mat 5:16 Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven.

Mat 5:48 Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect.

Light and Love. Mercy and Kindness. Justice and Peace.
We were made in God's image and likeness, but fell from grace and sinned against him.
We became darkness and hateful, unmerciful and unkind, injustice and war.
We became our own god's, in our own image.

Repent and be converted, return from where we have fallen.
Remember our first Love.. and charity and hospitality...
Be ye perfect as our Father in heaven is perfect, for he created us in his image and likeness,
amen.

Hugs

Reactions: MatthewG

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
2Co 4:4 In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not, lest the light of the glorious gospel of Christ, who is the image of God, should shine unto them.

Mat 5:16 Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven.

Mat 5:48 Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect.

Light and Love. Mercy and Kindness. Justice and Peace.
We were made in God's image and likeness, but fell from grace and sinned against him.
We became darkness and hateful, unmerciful and unkind, injustice and war.
We became our own god's, in our own image.

Repent and be converted, return from where we have fallen.
Remember our first Love.. and charity and hospitality...
Be ye perfect as our Father in heaven is perfect, for he created us in his image and likeness,
amen.

Hugs

it refers to intellect & will

Ziggy

Oct 19, 2020
Maine, USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
it refers to intellect & will
Not quite sure how much treasure is in the intellect and the will,
but I do know there is treasure in heaven, and where your heart is that's where your treasure is.
We are to have the mind of Christ, which is the express image of God.
And God created us for this hope..
Col 1:27 To whom God would make known what is the riches of the glory of this mystery among the Gentiles; which is Christ in you, the hope of glory:

The Saducees and Pharisees leaned on their own itellect and will...
they lost the kingdom.

Hugs

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Not quite sure how much treasure is in the intellect and the will,
but I do know there is treasure in heaven, and where your heart is that's where your treasure is.
We are to have the mind of Christ, which is the express image of God.
And God created us for this hope..
Col 1:27 To whom God would make known what is the riches of the glory of this mystery among the Gentiles; which is Christ in you, the hope of glory:

The Saducees and Pharisees leaned on their own itellect and will...
they lost the kingdom.

Hugs

That’s why the Christian faith is revealed by God

reason without faith is atheism

Reactions: MatthewG and Ziggy

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Believe, in the existence of God that the person was created by God. That would be my answer @Ziggy. Though someone recent shared an experience where his friend was 10 years Christian then started to entertain the idea that none of it was real anymore and told him just recently that he doesn’t believe anymore.

Hope you and your family are well friend.

Reactions: Ziggy

Ziggy

Oct 19, 2020
Maine, USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I hope my friend is well also.
He comes by on occasion with all kinds of questions.
I think he is going through hard times right now and looking for answers.
If not, he could be just a troll.
But I tend to want to see the best in people even when they try to hide it.

Sorry if I sidetracked the thread..
Thank You
HUGS

Pythagorean12

Oct 8, 2021
Laurel
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Are we to believe we were not good people, or did no good thing in our life before we were saved?

If we're only good after accepting Christ, and then we're only good because his holy spirit indwells us, how do we consolidate those ideas with what Jesus, who was God, said of himself? "But Jesus said to him, “Why do you call Me good? No one is good except God alone." Mark 10:18

Reactions: MatthewG and Ziggy

Ziggy

Oct 19, 2020
Maine, USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Are we to believe we were not good people, or did no good thing in our life before we were saved?

If we're only good after accepting Christ, and then we're only good because his holy spirit indwells us, how do we consolidate those ideas with what Jesus, who was God, said of himself? "But Jesus said to him, “Why do you call Me good? No one is good except God alone." Mark 10:18

The first thought that came to mind was the seed sown on good ground.

Mat 13:23 But he that received seed into the good ground is he that heareth the word, and understandeth it; which also beareth fruit, and bringeth forth, some an hundredfold, some sixty, some thirty.

Luk 1:17 And he shall go before him in the spirit and power of Elias, to turn the hearts of the fathers to the children, and the disobedient to the wisdom of the just; to make ready a people prepared for the Lord.

The seed is the word of God, where did the good ground come from?

Interesting questions..
Thank You
Hugs

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Human beings can do what is considered good things in the worldly sense. However, in our natural state even doing good things for others can lead to having a prideful overture against others who you would deem not good or fitting for ones criteria.

That is why is necessary for when it comes to believers that one understands that they do nothing good because we can not compare ourselves to the goodness of God.

So through the believer God is working in them through the spirit for them to have and produce love by abiding in the Lord Jesus Christ who is the vine.

Here are some scriptures in case you did not see them about how it is God working in and through a person; who is abiding in Christ by faith.

“for it is God who works in you both to will and to do for His good pleasure. Do all things without complaining and disputing, that you may become blameless and harmless, children of God without fault in the midst of a crooked and perverse generation, among whom you shine as lights in the world, holding fast the word of life, so that I may rejoice in the day of Christ that I have not run in vain or labored in vain.”
‭‭Philippians‬ ‭2:13-16‬ ‭NKJV‬‬

“Not that we are sufficient of ourselves to think of anything as being from ourselves, but our sufficiency is from God,”
‭‭II Corinthians‬ ‭3:5‬ ‭NKJV‬‬

“Now may the God of peace who brought up our Lord Jesus from the dead, that great Shepherd of the sheep, through the blood of the everlasting covenant, make you complete in every good work to do His will, working in you what is well pleasing in His sight, through Jesus Christ, to whom be glory forever and ever. Amen.”
‭‭Hebrews‬ ‭13:20-21‬ ‭NKJV‬‬

Here are more scriptures pertaining how it is God working in and through us my brother and sisters in Christ.