You do nothing Good

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You do nothing good. That goes for me too.

The only good you ever learn about comes from God… you can look at Gods commandments and see how they are good, holy, and just.

Some of those laws like the sabbath can not be kept except from resting in Christ so sabbath day is every day now for Gentiles not just Saturday which was the Sabbath for Jews.

You find out where good comes from; when Jesus said why do you call me good? There is only one good that is God.

If good only comes from God ; some of the actions by the spirit which are taken by you as a believer who has Christ Jesus in them - will be good but they will be because of God that the good choice you made came from Him.

The commandment of God according to 1 Timothy is live a life with sincere faith, good conscious, and having a pure heart.

Whatever that means to you is what it means to you: it might mean nothing and it might be okay to just lay them aside.

You choose and don’t believe me check the scripture and figure it out may God help and lead you by the spirit,

Praise God for the good He does in and through you working on your heart and mind as you live in faith of the Son of God having peace with the Father , saved by grace through faith.

With Love in Christ,

Matthew G.

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

That went for me too. I'm so glad that Jesus changed that completely by coming and indwelling me. Now He does righteousness through me. It is not the old man who is now dead doing anything, but Christ who abides in me keeping His own commandments. 1 John 3:24.

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

The only good you ever learn about comes from God… you can look at Gods commandments and see how they are good, holy, and just.

Some of those laws like the sabbath can not be kept except from resting in Christ so sabbath day is every day now for Gentiles not just Saturday which was the Sabbath for Jews.

You find out where good comes from; when Jesus said why do you call me good? There is only one good that is God.

If good only comes from God ; some of the actions by the spirit which are taken by you as a believer who has Christ Jesus in them - will be good but they will be because of God that the good choice you made came from Him.

The commandment of God according to 1 Timothy is live a life with sincere faith, good conscious, and having a pure heart.

Whatever that means to you is what it means to you: it might mean nothing and it might be okay to just lay them aside.

You choose and don’t believe me check the scripture and figure it out may God help and lead you by the spirit,

Praise God for the good He does in and through you working on your heart and mind as you live in faith of the Son of God having peace with the Father , saved by grace through faith.

With Love in Christ,

Matthew G.

Yes Jesus said that only God is good, but would not imitating Him be considered good as well? Jesus loved and praised his Father God for sure, but obviously there are many good people who do good things, so what did Jesus mean when he said that?

Didn't he really mean not to idolize any human above God? Think of how many humans are idolized over God today, some not even doing very much good, but simply because of something they have done, or do. Jesus recognized Jehovah as the Supreme Standard for all the universe, the definition and the sum of all goodness.

Reactions: MatthewG

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hello Robert,

You made some good comments there and it’s appreciated. There is nothing I believe that me and you do that is good without having love for God first.

“And we have known that to those loving God all things do work together for good, to those who are called according to purpose; because whom He did foreknow, He also did fore-appoint, conformed to the image of His Son, that he might be first-born among many brethren;”
‭‭Romans‬ ‭8:28-29‬ ‭YLT98‬‬

Jesus was pointing out that God is good above all other flesh, and God was with in Jesus by the spirit of God in which Jesus had performed good which came from his Father.

I believe it’s the same thing for us to; Good comes from above, from the Father. The spirit of Christ and the Holy Spirit of God with-in us causes us to have love for God and others when we accept the life, death, burial, of Christ.

So anything good you, me or anyone reading may do the glory should be given to God.

verse 17

“Happy the man who doth endure temptation, because, becoming approved, he shall receive the crown of the life, which the Lord did promise to those loving Him. Let no one say, being tempted — ‘From God I am tempted,’ for God is not tempted of evil, and Himself doth tempt no one, and each one is tempted, by his own desires being led away and enticed, afterward the desire having conceived, doth give birth to sin, and the sin having been perfected, doth bring forth death. Be not led astray, my brethren beloved;

17 every good giving, and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the lights, with whom is no variation, or shadow of turning;

having counselled, He did beget us with a word of truth, for our being a certain firstfruit of His creatures. So then, my brethren beloved, let every man be swift to hear, slow to speak, slow to anger, for the wrath of a man the righteousness of God doth not work; wherefore having put aside all filthiness and superabundance of evil, in meekness be receiving the engrafted word, that is able to save your souls; and become ye doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving yourselves, because, if any one is a hearer of the word and not a doer, this one hath been like to a man viewing his natural face in a mirror, for he did view himself, and hath gone away, and immediately he did forget of what kind he was; and he who did look into the perfect law — that of liberty, and did continue there, this one — not a forgetful hearer becoming, but a doer of work — this one shall be happy in his doing.”
‭‭James‬ ‭1:12-25‬ ‭YLT98‬‬

Reactions: amadeus

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

ah, I just saw this with a lot of clarity. I love it when that happens.
I used to work so hard on the sincere trust part to the exclusion, or ignoring, of the other 2.
And yet, it’s only through Him growing our obedience of trust that we get any further, so…
It’s all done, from start to finish, through trust.
No one can make their own heart pure.

Desire Of All Nations

Jun 23, 2021
Troy
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It is a total lie to say commandments like the Sabbath can't be kept.

1. Acts shows Paul continued to keep the Sabbath after his conversion:

"Then Paul, as his custom was, went in to them, and for three Sabbaths reasoned with them from the Scriptures,"
- Acts 17:2

Liars who try to argue that the Sabbath is impossible to keep won't be able to explain why Luke was inspired to record Paul keeping it for 3 straight Saturday periods.

2. Paul wrote in Heb. 4:1-9 that the people who reject the Sabbath under the current covenant will fail to make it in God's Kingdom, and he likened such people to the OT Israelites who weren't allowed to enter the Promised Land for the same reason.

Again, liars who try to argue that keeping the Sabbath is impossible won't be able to explain that away since it shows Paul reinforcing the authority of the4th commandment.

3. The OT teaches that the whole world will be keeping the Sabbaths during the Millennium:

"And it shall come to pass that from one New Moon to another, and from one Sabbath to another, all flesh shall come to worship before Me,” says the LORD." - Isa. 66:23

4. The Bible is abundantly clear in Gen. 2 and Mar. 2 that the Sabbath obligation preceded the existence of Jews by a few thousand years because Christ created it and used it to educate Adam and Eve. Furthermore, the codified Sabbath command is 100% clear that it applied to everybody in the community and not just the people who were Israelites by birth:

"but the seventh day is the Sabbath of the LORD your God. In it you shall do no work: you, nor your son, nor your daughter, nor your male servant, nor your female servant, nor your cattle, nor your stranger who is within your gates." - Exo. 20:10

Despite the many predictable attempts made by "Christians" to argue the 4th commandment away as an obsolete law that the Israelites were solely responsible for keeping, the truth revealed in the Bible exposes them for being the shameless deceivers that they are. God has never asked any human being to do the impossible, and to pretend He did is especially blasphemous. The only correct thing you've stated in this parade of lies is that the Bible should be trusted over your words.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It is a total lie to say commandments like the Sabbath can't be kept.

1. Acts shows Paul continued to keep the Sabbath after his conversion:

"Then Paul, as his custom was, went in to them, and for three Sabbaths reasoned with them from the Scriptures,"
- Acts 17:2

Liars who try to argue that the Sabbath is impossible to keep won't be able to explain why Luke was inspired to record Paul keeping it for 3 straight Saturday periods.

2. Paul wrote in Heb. 4:1-9 that the people who reject the Sabbath under the current covenant will fail to make it in God's Kingdom, and he likened such people to the OT Israelites who weren't allowed to enter the Promised Land for the same reason.

Again, liars who try to argue that keeping the Sabbath is impossible won't be able to explain that away since it shows Paul reinforcing the authority of the4th commandment.

3. The OT teaches that the whole world will be keeping the Sabbaths during the Millennium:

"And it shall come to pass that from one New Moon to another, and from one Sabbath to another, all flesh shall come to worship before Me,” says the LORD." - Isa. 66:23

4. The Bible is abundantly clear in Gen. 2 and Mar. 2 that the Sabbath obligation preceded the existence of Jews by a few thousand years because Christ created it and used it to educate Adam and Eve. Furthermore, the codified Sabbath command is 100% clear that it applied to everybody in the community and not just the people who were Israelites by birth:

"but the seventh day is the Sabbath of the LORD your God. In it you shall do no work: you, nor your son, nor your daughter, nor your male servant, nor your female servant, nor your cattle, nor your stranger who is within your gates." - Exo. 20:10

Despite the many predictable attempts made by "Christians" to argue the 4th commandment away as an obsolete law that the Israelites were solely responsible for keeping, the truth revealed in the Bible exposes them for being the shameless deceivers that they are. God has never asked any human being to do the impossible, and to pretend He did is especially blasphemous. The only correct thing you've stated in this parade of lies is that the Bible should be trusted over your words.

Hello @Desire Of All Nations

If you believe this way you are entitled to your opinion and your own belief. No argument here will be made with you, because everyone has to live their faith individually and no one can live someone else’s faith for them. All believers are responsible to God alone and people will have their own biases and their own opinions.

Thank you for sharing what is you see, my suggestion would to believe God over man and if a person desires to look and seek for truth the Bible is something that is a given for an individual to partake in doing so.

With love in Christ,
Matthew G.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes Jesus said that only God is good, but would not imitating Him be considered good as well?
It must be more than a superficial imitation! People especially in church meetings put on shows for other people, rather than simply striving to obey, worship and follow God alone. We must do it also when we are all alone [no other people with hearing and seeing range] if we are really "imitating" Him. We really must want to be like Him!

Jesus loved and praised his Father God for sure, but obviously there are many good people who do good things, so what did Jesus mean when he said that?
I believe that everyone is born with a glimmer of good, enough for them to choose to go for more, but some people do not want to take that next step toward Him. The glimmer is not enough. The following verse speaks of "every man' born of woman:

"That was the true Light, which lighteth every man that cometh into the world." John 1:9

That is God calling men but they must respond and move toward Him or allow Him to draw Him closer to ever take hold of the Light which Jesus is...!

Didn't he really mean not to idolize any human above God? Think of how many humans are idolized over God today, some not even doing very much good, but simply because of something they have done, or do. Jesus recognized Jehovah as the Supreme Standard for all the universe, the definition and the sum of all goodness.
While your words may contain some truth, I do not believe they explain why people do some "good" things without ever coming to God. People are selfish. Jesus was/is selfless! We need to become like him!

Reactions: Wynona and MatthewG

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It must be more than a superficial imitation! People especially in church meetings put on shows for other people, rather than simply striving to obey, worship and follow God alone. We must do it also when we are all alone [no other people with hearing and seeing range] if we are really "imitating" Him. We really must want to be like Him!

I believe that everyone is born with a glimmer of good, enough for them to choose to go for more, but some people do not want to take that next step toward Him. The glimmer is not enough. The following verse speaks of "every man' born of woman:

"That was the true Light, which lighteth every man that cometh into the world." John 1:9

That is God calling men but they must respond and move toward Him or allow Him to draw Him closer to ever take hold of the Light which Jesus is...!

While your words may contain some truth, I do not believe they explain why people do some "good" things without ever coming to God. People are selfish. Jesus was/is selfless! We need to become like him!

Don't forget all humans were created in God's image, which means having God's qualities, not His physical appearance. People do good things as one of His qualities, His foremost in fact, is Love. One can argue that since people do evil as well, that God has evil, but that is not necessarily true, as He gave us free will, so we choose to do evil. Most parents would choose not to have their offspring do evil, but some choose to do so.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Don't forget all humans were created in God's image, which means having God's qualities, not His physical appearance. People do good things as one of His qualities, His foremost in fact, is Love. One can argue that since people do evil as well, that God has evil, but that is not necessarily true, as He gave us free will, so we choose to do evil. Most parents would choose not to have their offspring do evil, but some choose to do so.
Men were initially created in God's image, but they also were given the ability to choose to go against Him. They did so choose when they disobeyed Him and in doing so their similarity to God diminished leaving only a hope of actually becoming like Him again. They were dead in the eyes of God and no longer in His image. God is not dead! God never goes against His own Word.

So in what image were men after that first disobedience by their first natural parents? Not God's!

Then God sent Jesus to bring again the Life that was lost, so that once born anew [again or from above], a man might become like God!

"Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is.
And every man that hath this hope in him purifieth himself, even as he is pure." I John 3:2-3

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yesterday before bed decided to character study on Noah.

His great grand father was Enoch who walked with God, and the Enoch had Methuselah who was Noah’s grand father, and Methuselah had Lemach, who had Noah.

Noah was a righteous man because of faith in God and He was given a divine task to build an Ark that would hold all the many animals in the land. (Some believe world wide flood or just simply that area flood - whatever you choose is up to you).

With this in mind you have to remember this world that Noah was born into was rife with godless believers. They did not believe in God. Because of this Noah was given the task to build the Ark to be able to save the family and animals lives.

While Noah was doing this year after year Noah had to continue to maintain his faith while working on the project which God had commanded/had him to do.

Many godless believers would come and watch Noah as he worked and would mock and laugh at him even when Noah exhorted for them to turn from their ways and look towards God and believe. They just laughed at him, and mocked him. Similar to Jesus; if not a picture and a type of Jesus.

Noah had persistent faith that surpasses all workers in the Bible save Jesus, because such a great task to perform could you imagine being laughed and mocked and shamed while at the same time encouraging them to turn and look towards God? Noah is seldom appreciated for his work, but he is still remembered to this day.

You can see all types of pictures in these scenes. Like Jesus is the one who enters our vessel just as Noah did the Ark; and that even - us in our animal-like instincts of the flesh can also enter rest in the Ark by believing in Jesus (having rest for our souls), and that though people laugh and mock you; you love by encouragement of looking towards God in love and gentleness.

Not sure what else to add. :)

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yesterday before bed decided to character study on Noah.

His great grand father was Enoch who walked with God, and the Enoch had Methuselah who was Noah’s grand father, and Methuselah had Lemach, who had Noah.

Noah was a righteous man because of faith in God and He was given a divine task to build an Ark that would hold all the many animals in the land. (Some believe world wide flood or just simply that area flood - whatever you choose is up to you).

With this in mind you have to remember this world that Noah was born into was rife with godless believers. They did not believe in God. Because of this Noah was given the task to build the Ark to be able to save the family and animals lives.

While Noah was doing this year after year Noah had to continue to maintain his faith while working on the project which God had commanded/had him to do.

Many godless believers would come and watch Noah as he worked and would mock and laugh at him even when Noah exhorted for them to turn from their ways and look towards God and believe. They just laughed at him, and mocked him. Similar to Jesus; if not a picture and a type of Jesus.

Noah had persistent faith that surpasses all workers in the Bible save Jesus, because such a great task to perform could you imagine being laughed and mocked and shamed while at the same time encouraging them to turn and look towards God? Noah is seldom appreciated for his work, but he is still remembered to this day.

You can see all types of pictures in these scenes. Like Jesus is the one who enters our vessel just as Noah did the Ark; and that even - us in our animal-like instincts of the flesh can also enter rest in the Ark by believing in Jesus (having rest for our souls), and that though people laugh and mock you; you love by encouragement of looking towards God in love and gentleness.

Not sure what else to add. :)
"For a day in thy courts is better than a thousand. I had rather be a doorkeeper in the house of my God, than to dwell in the tents of wickedness." Psalm 84:10

Or a tiny ant chosen to go inside of the Ark until the flood waters had come and gone!

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Men were initially created in God's image, but they also were given the ability to choose to go against Him. They did so choose when they disobeyed Him and in doing so their similarity to God diminished leaving only a hope of actually becoming like Him again. They were dead in the eyes of God and no longer in His image. God is not dead! God never goes against His own Word.

So in what image were men after that first disobedience by their first natural parents? Not God's!

Then God sent Jesus to bring again the Life that was lost, so that once born anew [again or from above], a man might become like God!

"Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is.
And every man that hath this hope in him purifieth himself, even as he is pure." I John 3:2-3

We pray for that time to come Amad. It is not that far off sir.

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

With Love in Christ,

Matthew G.

not saved by faith alone Mk 16:16

God’s grace in our souls after baptism enables us to do good deeds

jn 15:5

Rev 2: 19 I know thy works, and charity, and service, and faith, and thy patience, and thy works; and the last to be more than the first.

Rev 2:23 .....I will give unto every one of you according to your works.

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Adam and Eve were created in God's image. Seth was born in the image of his father Adam. And every human since had been born with the hereditary defects of their forbears.
KJV Genesis 5:3
3 And Adam lived an hundred and thirty years, and begat a son in his own likeness, after his image; and called his name Seth:

Reactions: charity and amadeus

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Adam and Eve were created in God's image. Seth was born in the image of his father Adam. And every human since had been born with the hereditary defects of their forbears.
KJV Genesis 5:3
3 And Adam lived an hundred and thirty years, and begat a son in his own likeness, after his image; and called his name Seth:

You are not saying Seth was no longer in God's image are you sir?

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
intresting

God only breathed life to Adam in the first creation, then we receive life from our fathers gen 2:7

Christ breathed life in the new creation to the apostles our spiritual fathers and we receive life thru them by the sacraments Jn 20:21-24