Your Opinion On Atheists

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Angelina

Prayer Warrior
Staff member
Admin
Feb 4, 2011
New Zealand
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
Hi selene!
I think that what James describes and what is considered to be religion in the world today...are not the same thing.You forgot to add the other part of the verse you are quoting:

James 1:27
26 If anyone among you thinks he is religious, and does not bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this one’s religion is useless. 27 Pure and undefiled religion before God and the Father is this: to visit orphans and widows in their trouble, and to keep oneself unspotted from the world.

Even the Pharasees were considered "religious."
Acts 26:5
They knew me from the first, if they were willing to testify, that according to the strictest sect of our religion I lived a Pharisee.

Yet Paul himself considered his religion as worthless
Philippians 3
If anyone else thinks he may have confidence in the flesh, I more so: 5 circumcised the eighth day, of the stock of Israel, of the tribe of Benjamin, a Hebrew of the Hebrews; concerning the law, a Pharisee; 6 concerning zeal, persecuting the church; concerning the righteousness which is in the law, blameless.

7 But what things were gain to me, these I have counted loss for Christ. 8 Yet indeed I also count all things loss for the excellence of the knowledge of Christ Jesus my Lord, for whom I have suffered the loss of all things, and count them as rubbish, that I may gain Christ 9 and be found in Him, not having my own righteousness, which is from the law, but that which is through faith in Christ, the righteousness which is from God by faith;

and so did Jesus
Matthew 5
20 For I say to you, that unless your righteousness exceeds the righteousness of the scribes and Pharisees, you will by no means enter the kingdom of heaven.

whitestone
You contradicted what I shared and you contradict the spirit of God in your post when you did so. Everything I shared is exactly true. You have no idea what spirit you are then. You evidently still lust. that doesn't mean others do. You evidently still sin. that doesn't mean others do. By their fruits ye shall know them... What fruit have you just demonstrated here? If I were you Selene, I'd repent before Christ and go and sin no more.
The above quote from WS is a good example of a "religious spirit" that Jesus speaks of in Matt 5.

Be Blessed!!! :)

Selene

Apr 12, 2010
In my house
Hi Angelina,

I did not forget that part. The Bible did not say that the word "religious" or even "religion" is bad. It has always depended on the person's behavior. If a person does not bear fruit, then his/her religion is useless. Christianity is a religion whose members are to bear fruit. However, there are Christians who do not bear fruit. That does not mean that Christianity is useless.

whitestone said:
You contradicted what I shared and you contradict the spirit of God in your post when you did so. Everything I shared is exactly true. You have no idea what spirit you are then. You evidently still lust. that doesn't mean others do. You evidently still sin. that doesn't mean others do. By their fruits ye shall know them... What fruit have you just demonstrated here? If I were you Selene, I'd repent before Christ and go and sin no more.
Peace

A person who says that they are no longer sinners already committed a sin. It is the sin of pride. None of the Apostles ever said that they are no longer sinners. A person who thinks they are better than others also commits the sin of pride.

Angelina

Prayer Warrior
Staff member
Admin
Feb 4, 2011
New Zealand
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
I did not forget that part. The Bible did not say that the word "religious" or even "religion" is bad. It has always depended on the person's behavior.
This is partly true. Buddhism, Taoism, Islam, Hinduism etc are also called religions but we know that they are false. The word "religion" and "religious" is used to describe anything that man has made an idol of and worships. That is what religion is - worship.

A person who says that they are no longer sinners already committed a sin. It is the sin of pride. None of the Apostles ever said that they are no longer sinners. A person who thinks they are better than others also commits the sin of pride.
This, I agree whloeheartedly. :)

Shalom!!!

whitestone

Apr 3, 2011
Gold Beach Oregon
Selene said:
Hi Angelina,

I did not forget that part. The Bible did not say that the word "religious" or even "religion" is bad. It has always depended on the person's behavior. If a person does not bear fruit, then his/her religion is useless. Christianity is a religion whose members are to bear fruit. However, there are Christians who do not bear fruit. That does not mean that Christianity is useless.

There is nothing worse than a false accuser and a false prophet. People like you are the ones who accused Jesus of having a devil and driving the nails in his hands and feet. good luck with your satanic message. I knew I shouldn't have come back to this devil infested site.

Axehead

May 9, 2012
Selene said:
The Holy Bible says that each of them will be judged according to their works. It did not say they will be judged according to their religion or beliefs. That is also what Romans 2:13-16 is saying. It is up to God to judge them because only God knows the human heart. The law is written in every man's heart, which only God knows.
John 6:29
29 Jesus answered and said unto them, This is the work of God, that ye believe on him whom he hath sent.

Selene

Apr 12, 2010
In my house
Axehead said:
John 6:29
29 Jesus answered and said unto them, This is the work of God, that ye believe on him whom he hath sent.
Are you quoting scripture to contradict scripture or to support it?

IanLC

Encounter Team
Mar 22, 2011
North Carolina
And this chaos resulted in this Outreach forum is why those not of The Faith look at us in The Faith and say "if they are divided on the truth and are fighting amongst themselves. How can they tell me what the truth is?"

Angelina

Prayer Warrior
Staff member
Admin
Feb 4, 2011
New Zealand
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
There will never be unity while some believer's think that they have already arrived at perfection and look down on those who are growing in Christ through sanctification. Even Paul clearly states that he has not yet attained it but forgetting the things that are behind him, he reaches toward the things that are ahead. There will always be divisions among believer's because we are all growing at different stages in revelation of his word and personal walk with Christ. Paul himself argued with Jewish leaders of the day, who wanted to place heavy burdens on the gentiles coming to the faith during the days of Pentecost.

if they are divided on the truth and are fighting amongst themselves. How can they tell me what the truth is?"

Jude 1
7 But, dear friends, remember what the apostles of our Lord Jesus Christ foretold. 18 They said to you, “In the last times there will be scoffers who will follow their own ungodly desires.” 19 These are the people who divide you, who follow mere natural instincts and do not have the Spirit.

Shalom!!!

Dumparoo

Jun 17, 2013
People have their own opinions. Some people are just more concrete in their perception than others I guess.

Blue Lanai

Jul 29, 2013
Sisyphus Fragment said:
A few years ago, there was a survey done* that came to the conclusion that atheists were the least trusted minority in America, you can read into this that we are also flat out disliked. I'm attempting to conduct a nonscientific poll to help me understand the major reasons why this is. I've been attempting to get useful replies from general religious forums but their members seem to be more interested in bickering with each other rather than answer some of my questions. Any posts I submit turn into back and forth hate-o-thons.For those of you who dislike or are of a less than positive opinion of atheists I would like to hear your opinions on the matter. Why do people have such a problem with atheists as an entire group?For those of you who have no qualms with atheists there is no need for you to respond to defend yourselves, I only need the opinions of people offering criticism. I merely want to better understand why atheists are so negatively viewed. I'm not looking for any fights or anything like that, I'm here to seek genuine opinions and that is all. Thanks ahead of time for any replies.*http://www.mndaily.com/2009/02/22/survey-us-trust-lowest-atheists
I was an Atheist myself for over 10 years before I came to know God. As such, I have respect for those who struggle on the path of faith and theism. It it certainly a difficult cliff to climb.

One caviat, however: I think many Atheists, particularly in the USA, are not so much Atheists as they are rejectors of traditional Christian value (which I certainly understand & appreciate!). In Atheist circles I have met less people who reject the concept of "God" and more who reject the traditional 20th century American interpretation of the Christian "God". To me, this is not true Atheism; it's just a cultural backlash.