Your spiritual rebirth story - An event, or a gradual experience?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
For years I thought every one who had a "born again" experience of spiritual rebirth recognized a moment in time when it happened.

I came to discover that this is not always the way God works. Even my own wife reported a more gradual experience.

Please comment, or share your story here. I'll post mine below, which some of you may have read on a different forum.

At eight years of age I was attending a Summer Bible camp in Wisconsin.
In a morning chapel service the man speaking did as they always did, he gave an invitation to receive Christ.
He asked that all heads be bowed and all eyes closed. But I found myself peeking to see if
any of these "lost sinners" would raise a hand. At that moment God spoke to me.
Though it was a supernatural event, it seemed as natural to me as anything.
I knew who it was and wasn't frightened, or disturbed by it.
What I heard was mind-blowing. It came like a tap on my shoulder.
The message was clear and direct. "If you think it is so important, why haven't you done it?"
I was speechless. I answered with my feet. I knew the drill.
I rose to my feet and pushed my way to the aisle to go forward before we were even asked to do so.
When I was a young adult I made a connection about this event that had not been apparent to me at the time.
The man who led me to Christ was the son of the man that led my father to the Lord.
A Christian Alliance missionary that went from farm to farm inviting people to Sunday School
and sharing the gospel in the area where my father grew up.
Basically in the middle of nowhere. Such a wonderful mystery, the workings of our great God.

What's your story?

/

Reactions: Rita and amadeus

Shittim

Nov 19, 2020
Iowa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
about that age, don't recall exactly, had read of the divine prayer language, perhaps it was a tv minister, was playing alone speaking to Him, was showered with Holy Spirit, didn't know what was and was chocked so I quit, years latter was at a Holy Spirit conference with a group who prayed for me to receive, all got the message I already had it, I was just not using it.
Realize now He has given me guidance and favor all my life, and am continuing to walk in His guidance and impart as He directs, imparted to my grandson, next day he was back at college, sent me a text as he experienced Holy Spirit anointing as I was praying for him miles away.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
..Writing down here something of where we [ my wife and I] were when God got hold of us back in 1976. We both had been sincere in our early efforts to serve God but when we met in a bar in 1971, we were both at best nominal Catholics. We moved forward quickly to marriage in 1972 and by 1976 we had two young toddlers, a boy the elder [born 1973] and a girl [born 1974].

We needed something, but were unable to find it and as a result our marriage was coming to an end. We had lasted as long as we had for the sake of the children, but that was no longer enough, but we would try one more time... in our own way... to fix it.

Back in 1974 with a little boy and our daughter nearly due we moved into an apartment in Sunnyvale CA at the same time as a younger black family. They already had three children and the wife was also pregnant expecting their 4th. They were moving in upstairs while we were moving in downstairs. They were the most sincere Christians I had ever known besides my paternal grandmother.

They befriended us and helped us many times financially and otherwise over those few months we lived there as neighbors. Their continuous witness to us was their lives, but we really were not buying it, not yet. In November of 1974. the U.S. Government called me to work. From construction labor, limousine driver, and taxi cab driver in the San Francisco Bay Area, I went all of a sudden to an employee of the Social Security Administration. My income doubled and we thought we were on the way to easy street with all of our troubles behind us. Not quite!

My job was to start in San Francisco which was about 50 miles north of our home in Sunnyvale. My wife’s doctor would not release her to move until after the baby was born so I rode a commuter train to work for a while. When we could we moved in closer to where my job was going finally be, in Richmond, CA on the east side of the Bay across from San Francisco. This was the scene when our rocky marriage was just about to break and we knew it. We had kept in touch with our friends in Sunnyvale who had always been there to help us in times of need.

Our solution to the marriage problem was to go off alone together for a couple of days. Without hesitation we called that mother of four to ask her to babysit our two so we could go. She immediately agreed and so we gathered our youngsters and their stuff in the car and proceeded on the drive the nearly 60 miles to Sunnyvale.

As we were driving toward Sunnyvale one of the things we discussed was the Christianity of our Sunnyvale friends. They were tea-totalling friends who allowed us to take advantage of them repeatedly because that was part of how they served God. They were always ready to help us as they were doing now.

We had regularly laughed at them behind their backs while we guzzled our beer and lived our lives our way... and our way was failing so very badly.

One of us, [to this day, neither of us remembers which] recalled that while they had never pressed it, they had invited us to attend a church service with them. Once the subject was brought up we decided we would ask if the invitation was still open. Maybe that would help us resolve our problems.

We arrived that the apartment and the wife, invited us in... We sat down at her small kitchen table and immediately we mentioned our decision to ask about attending a church service with them. She was delighted with our suggestion and she called her husband, Charles, at work to ask him about it.

It was a Monday. I remember it was a Monday because almost no one anywhere had or has regularly scheduled church services on Monday. Her husband called back after a bit and advised he had found a church in the greater San Jose area with a Monday evening service and would we like to go with them that night. We went and thus it began. God has entered the picture for us and has not left since.

There were no great revelations or transformations that night but our relationship with our old friends changed. Now living 60 miles apart we began to ask questions of our Sunnyvale friends, questions we had never asked before about God and the Bible and the Holy Ghost as our interest flared. Regular visits with them to discuss the things of God began.

They helped us find a church affiliated with their own in our area. That church was having revival meetings 7 days a week when we began to attend. On January 15, 1976 my wife and I went up front separately when the lady preacher asked if anyone wanted to come forward and be prayed for. Someone sitting near us watched our children, who were asleep on the floor, and both of us repented that night. Two days later my wife received what they called the Baptism of the Holy Ghost. Suddenly while she was praying and as I watched she began speaking in an unknown language. I was a student of a couple languages besides English but it was neither of those. My wife had never known any languages besides English.

When we went home that night, I cried because I wanted what my wife had received.

The revival services continued every night, seven days a week and we were always there. I was always reaching out to get hold of God, but days and weeks past and everyone just about gave up on me... except my wife and God.

Frequently at the beginning of a service our new pastor would say to me something like: “Brother John, if you don’t receive the baptism of the Holy Ghost you are going to hell”. In later years people told me I should have been offended, but at the time I was more worried about fixing my problem than accusing anyone else.

My only really knowledge about God had come from the Catholic Church and no one there ever talked me like this. Before we started going to that church, I had never read or owned a Bible of my own. That was changing, for while the revival services continued, we were also now attending regular services as well and a Bible class for new converts. We began to read the Bible for the first in our lives.

While I had not talked to anyone about it but my wife, I knew why I was not getting baptized with the Holy Ghost. I loved my job. I loved it too much and it interfered with my willingness to surrender everything to God.

On March 6,1976 we got ready and went to the evening revival service as usual, but this time I had decided to ask God to help me with this love for my job, to help me put it aside so I could receive what my wife had received. I went at it immediately praying and talking to God and telling Him that if I needed to... I would quit my job. The lady evangelist as usual asked if some of the brothers would come and pray with me, but I guess they were tired of praying with me. Brothers were supposed to pray with brothers and sisters with sisters. Not one brother came up and prayed with me that night, but my wife did. Between her and my own resolve to give up even my job if necessary, it wasn’t long before my prayers were coming out of my mouth in a language unknown to me. I felt an unbelievable warmth pass through my entire body like nothing even close to anything I had ever previously experienced. That was the real beginning.

God did not require me to quit my job, not yet. That was to come many years later and is the beginning of another testimony.

Our marriage was saved indeed, as were we. We have had our troubles over the years, but never again was our marriage in serious jeopardy.

Give God the glory!

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
about that age, don't recall exactly, had read of the divine prayer language, perhaps it was a tv minister, was playing alone speaking to Him, was showered with Holy Spirit, didn't know what was and was chocked so I quit, years latter was at a Holy Spirit conference with a group who prayed for me to receive, all got the message I already had it, I was just not using it.
Realize now He has given me guidance and favor all my life, and am continuing to walk in His guidance and impart as He directs, imparted to my grandson, next day he was back at college, sent me a text as he experienced Holy Spirit anointing as I was praying for him miles away.
Great testimony, thanks!

]

• Love
Reactions: Shittim

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
..Writing down here something of where we [ my wife and I] were when God got hold of us back in 1976. We both had been sincere in our early efforts to serve God but when we met in a bar in 1971, we were both at best nominal Catholics. We moved forward quickly to marriage in 1972 and by 1976 we had two young toddlers, a boy the elder [born 1973] and a girl [born 1974].
Fantastic testimony, thanks!

]

Reactions: amadeus

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Over 47 years ago at age 24, after too many years spent in quiet but determined refusal to acknowledge or consider God, His ways or His people, and imbibing in practices and substances and a lifestyle which pleased me well, but impinged greatly on other’s rights and freedoms, I was asked a question that challenged me to the core.

“Do you think God would approve of the way you are living?"

Today, after all these years, I like to think that my immediate response was a humble expression tending toward the negative, however, in light of what transpired later in the evening, I think that possibly my response initially may have been more of a non-committal grunt. To be honest, I can't even remember how I responded at first, if at all.

I was at that time in no mood to consider religion, I was quite content with my life, or so I thought thank-you very much. I was happily single and had a well paying job; for my home a little cottage in the country side adjacent to some of the best surf breaks in New Zealand ; I was debt free and little or no responsibilities and parked outside was a vehicle of no mean repute to get me anywhere I wanted to go. Life was good. For what purpose did I need God?

Several hours later however the question still rang in my ears. Was God pleased with the way I was living? Well, was He? The question kept hammering at my brain until I began asking it myself. I think it was at that moment that God knew that He had me. Because until that time, I didn’t need to answer the question if I didn’t want to. But the moment I began asking it of myself, it demanded a reply. And because of the importance of the question, it demanded an intelligent and honest reply. And the answer was simply no. Not by any stretch of the imagination, nor by any indulgence in mental or spiritual gymnastics, could I rightly and honestly justify my behavior or lifestyle before a holy and righteous God. And it was as I was laying on my back contemplating these things that very night when I admitted as much. I took a long and honest look at myself and didn’t like what I saw. So I asked God for His forgiveness, and to make my life something that He could attach His name to without being ashamed. You see, until that night if anyone had asked me if I was a Christian, I would have replied in the affirmative. I believed in God. Sure, I had done a few things wrong, but I hadn’t killed anyone. At least not yet. I wasn’t that bad. I was judging myself however by human standards. For a while I thought I could ignore the question; there had been in the past the odd moment that such religious conversations had come up on the beach, in the pub, at work, but I dutifully ignored them and by and by they would slip away into forgetfulness until the next time. This time however it didn’t go away. There was no-one else present to talk to or distract me. As far as human companionship was concerned, I was alone, with only that question rattling around inside of me for company.

I had grown up in a church which taught auricular confession to a priest. There was no priest there that night. Just me and God. As far as I can remember, I didn’t confess any specific sin. Rather, I confessed my entire lifestyle. As I surveyed my past years, I could think of nothing good to commend it. No mitigating circumstances to lessen the guilt of a life devoid of godliness, a life empty of any spiritual worth. I have come to realize since, and the scriptures teach the same, that a life without God is a life of death. It is a life without hope, a life without substance.

Why did God choose to come to me that day, and issue me with that challenge? I don’t know, but perhaps He knew something I didn’t. That deep down I knew, if I was willing to be honest, that I wanted something better. Something other than the superficial. Something more than window dressing and good-times. I suppose my prayer that night, as far as prayers go, was fairly simple. Nothing ornate, or even overly religious. I wasn’t kneeling, I wasn’t in church, I didn’t own nor had ever read a Bible; just a simple “Please make my life one that you would approve of.”

I didn’t know what to expect as a result of that prayer. I wasn’t even giving that any consideration. My focus was being honest with God, and giving Him the opportunity to do whatever He needed to do. How He did it, and when, was up to Him. What did happen though would have been the last thing I expected if I had thought about it. The moment that prayer was uttered God personally stepped into my room, and into my life. My confession and admission of guilt was all the reason and excuse He needed to flood my room with His love, and to tell me I was forgiven. Not with words, because He didn’t need to speak. I knew. His presence was powerful, palpable, and very, very real. Have you ever been bear-hugged by love itself? I wept with joy for several hours until I fell asleep, and awoke in the morning a different person.

Everything around me was tangibly different. Colors were brighter, light was clearer, the house itself felt as if a great burden had been lifted from its roof, and best of all, I had this most marvelous sense of peace in the depths of my being; forgiveness. Guiltlessness. Freedom from all and any condemnation. And I knew that my life would never be the same again.

I have often heard from unbelievers that they don't need the crutch of religion. Crutch? Sorry, but a crutch is altogether way too insufficient for the needs of man. The absolute minimum requirement for spiritual well-being is a full blown heart transplant. Nothing less. And although that one night in 1976 was a definite watershed for me, the 'heart transplant' wasn't an overnight operation. In fact, today, many years later, the operation is still in progress. Our habits, mind-sets, ingrained faulty reasoning, selfishness, dishonesty, greed, etc. run deeper than any of us imagine. Changing this mere man into the image of Jesus is a lifetime work. Character alteration in the form of complete re-creation from the inside out is the minimum requirement if we are to ultimately become fit candidates for God's kingdom. For one thing is certain, although God accepts us as we are, He never leaves us as we are.

It starts with confession, followed by forgiveness which is a promise written with the blood of His Son. It continues with a new creation which is daily transformed by the power , the grace, and the love of a dutiful Father who is faithful to the end, and promises never to let you go, and finishes with a life recreated in the image of God, and an eternity of joy and happiness that will ever increase as we learn more and grow closer to our Savior and Redeemer.

Today, as I daily experience the creative power of God in my life, I can only stand in awe at the grace, the generosity, the all-encompassing love of our heavenly Father for His salvation. I am now 71. For over 47 years now I have been in expectation of personally witnessing the second coming of my Savior. Lately however, I am not so sure. Perhaps I am of the generation that dies just before Jesus comes...just as the generation of Noah's contemporaries, those faithful servants of God such as Methuselah died just before the flood. Perhaps the task of spreading the gospel in the final crisis will be left to the generations after me...my children and grand-children...younger feet and sharper minds for the tumultuous days that are just ahead.

Folks, I have learned many things in my lifetime, but one thing stands above all others, and that one thing I will cleave to until either I pass from this mortal coil or stand and witness the awesome glory of Jesus as He comes with all the angelic host to harvest His faithful...
....The gospel is not a dead theory used by those who ‘can’t handle life’, like a crutch. It is not just forgiveness of sin. It is not just a “get out of jail free card” that one presents to God in order to avoid the consequences of sin. The gospel is a living vital mighty creative force that changes lives. God desires that the receivers of His grace shall be living testimonies to its power. The addicted, the oppressed, the spiritually blind, the depressed, the wounded, the grieving, the doubting, the sick, nor even the religious will ever believe your presentation of the gospel unless you are are a living demonstration that they can also be free from all those things that formerly bound you.

To all who don’t know Jesus….do not allow the world nor the things of the world to dominate and destroy your futures nor the futures of your children….read the words of Jeremiah 29:11-13; these are words of hope for you and your families. Jesus desires that despite the turmoil in the world, despite the evil that surrounds us daily, we could all live abundant, rich, peaceful and contented lives.

I am a living testimony to God's power. And throughout the world there are many many others who also have been radically changed by a loving, faithful, gracious and merciful Father God who delights in working miracles, and making the unrighteous and the profane into saints.

It is for this purpose we were created. To know God and Jesus Christ whom the Father sent for the salvation of mankind. This is eternal life, that we may know Him. (John 17:3)
This is true freedom. This is hope.

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
www.CheeseburgersWithGod.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Growing up was like something out of a story book. I’ll get to times of suffering, but for the most part life was good. I was raised on a ranch with a wonderful, loving mother and father, a sister and two brothers, and friends. Although we had lots of chores and worked really hard compared to other kids, it was a good, healthy, and memorable time. After high school, as the nursery rhyme goes: “first came love, then came marriage, and kids in the baby carriage.” I worked a couple of tough jobs for about a decade and then went into business for myself. It was all very much the typical American dream.

Then, my business got broken into—three consecutive times!

The financial hardship caused the breakup of my marriage. I was separated from my children. Then, after dividing everything into two unequal halves in divorce, my half went down like a sinking ship. I ended up filing for bankruptcy, and lost it all.

Then came insult to injury. I had suffered no physically harm, it’s just that I was at the top of my game while all this was happening. I had even invented a few things. At a new job after the bankruptcy, I even won awards for things that had not been attempted before in the company's entire 30-year history. That year I increased sales in my territory from 600,000 to a $1,000,000, and received the president of the company’s top annual sales award. And yet, by a series of unfortunate events—that rug too was pulled out from under me. My best was good—very good, but it didn't seem to matter.

One night, after a long downward spiral, at the end of myself, I decided to have a little talk with God—that is, if there was a God. At the time, I wasn't sure. But I started talking to him anyway, and said, "This is the place where a person takes their own life—but I'm not going to do it! I'm not playing this game anymore! If you want my life God—take it, you can have it! Otherwise, I need some answers. I need to know what life is all about, and what my part in it is. If it all just ends in failure upon failure--what's it all for? What’s the use? Otherwise, I’ve only got one thing left that hasn’t failed me: I'm going to go live in the woods...."

To my complete and utter surprise—He answered!

After having every other door slammed in my face, I finally knocked on the right door!

Lying there in bed, I instantly found myself in the air above the very spot (in the woods) where I had threatened to go, apparently, in the spirit. This sort of religious experience is not so easily defined. But for the sake of argument, let’s just say, the "me" that is usually at home in my body—had left the building!

Next, I found myself with my back up against a huge frozen wall covered with ice. Before me were masses of people as far as I could see, wave after wave, like looking out over the ocean, and they began to stir. In desperation I turned and began beating on the wall of ice with my fists. Chunks of ice came falling down and an enormous door opened up. Through the door I saw a narrow stairway going up into the clouds. At the top--was my father. Now, that may sound like the result of some kind of father issue, but we had no issues. Nothing like that.

Next, I found myself through the door on the narrow stairway, and in through the doorway came babies--infants, wrapped in little white blankets. I reached out and took the first one and passed it up the stairway to my father’s open arms. I turned back and took another and did the same, again, and again, and again.

Sometime thereafter, I suddenly found myself back in the physical, back in my body. Startled, I shot straight up, not stopping until I was seated at the foot of my bed. Eventually I laid back down in awe and bewilderment and went to sleep.

The next morning I awoke refreshed, full of peace and joy. I couldn't stop thinking about my experience, and kept repeating it over and over again in my mind:

"A door was opened to me, and I helped deliver children to my father in the sky..."

"A door was opened to me, and I helped deliver children to my father in the sky!"

What could it all mean?

Suddenly, everything in my life changed. I had to change. I was changed...

My job had already changed, my relationship ended, and I moved.

I then went to live with my younger brother and his family temporarily and made plans for a career change. In the spare room where they put me up, I found a bible. I was drawn to it. I started reading and didn't stop. I went through it like a novel, cover to cover. As I did, I came to realize that whoever was behind this book--was also behind my experience. The author of the bible and the One who answered me, were one and the same. My experience confirmed the bible to be true, and the bible confirmed my experience to be from God. Although there were many points of confirmation, when I got to the part in the gospels about "our Father in heaven", I knew that just as I had seen in my experience—this was my father in the sky!

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
... I had grown up in a church which taught auricular confession to a priest. There was no priest there that night. Just me and God. As far as I can remember, I didn’t confess any specific sin. Rather, I confessed my entire lifestyle. As I surveyed my past years, I could think of nothing good to commend it. No mitigating circumstances to lessen the guilt of a life devoid of godliness, a life empty of any spiritual worth. I have come to realize since, and the scriptures teach the same, that a life without God is a life of death. It is a life without hope, a life without substance.

Why did God choose to come to me that day, and issue me with that challenge? I don’t know, but perhaps He knew something I didn’t. That deep down I knew, if I was willing to be honest, that I wanted something better. Something other than the superficial. Something more than window dressing and good-times. I suppose my prayer that night, as far as prayers go, was fairly simple. Nothing ornate, or even overly religious. I wasn’t kneeling, I wasn’t in church, I didn’t own nor had ever read a Bible; just a simple “Please make my life one that you would approve of.”

Wow. Amazing testimony, thanks.
I especially liked this bit quoted above. Reconciliation between you and God alone.
A restored relationship.

]

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I have come to learn that the primary evidence of the Spirit (a new birth) is extending mercy, forgiveness and patience towards the recalcitrant, the ignorant, the self righteous and the overtly rebellious. This has not always been the case in my reality. I have learned that God has and is working with my reality in its ignorance and short sightedness.

Grace gives me continued and ample cause, as its wonder dawns on me, to treat others as I have and am being related to.

Last edited: