Your younger self...

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

D

Dave L

At times I wish I could go back and tell my younger-self not to do this or that. But I know all that God sent my way is part of who I am today. I look back at the miracles of God's providence hovering over me in my darkest hours. The many times I could have been killed doing stupid things. And the treacherous crowds I ran in. And it didn't end after Christ converted me to his kingdom. The myriads of "guitar churches" I frequented all teaching false doctrines. I later had to study and claw my way free of. So today I settle for telling myself "don't do that again". I take doctrine seriously knowing I could have avoided it all with a true church and solid teaching in my early years.

Reactions: brakelite and Helen

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
At times I wish I could go back and tell my younger-self not to do this or that. But I know all that God sent my way is part of who I am today. I look back at the miracles of God's providence hovering over me in my darkest hours. The many times I could have been killed doing stupid things. And the treacherous crowds I ran in. And it didn't end after Christ converted me to his kingdom. The myriads of "guitar churches" I frequented all teaching false doctrines. I later had to study and claw my way free of. So today I settle for telling myself "don't do that again". I take doctrine seriously knowing I could have avoided it all with a true church and solid teaching in my early years.
The best advice would be: Back to the Scriptures, right? :)

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What if you could turn the clock back and give some advice to your younger self..
If you could speak to your younger self at age 8 ..what advice would you give that child? How would you warn him/her of the future to come. In fact would you pre-warn him/her of the future...or would you leave the innocence? ( with what you know about your life now)
Remember how you felt when seeing the world through 8 year old eyes.

After I got over being creeped out about my 54 year old self showing up with advice (which would take a while)...

I think I would repeat the prophecy spoken over me not long after I got saved by an old woman I had never met before as I got up to leave a church service. "God is going to use you." Looking back, those words encouraged me to keep going more than any others. And at 8 years old, that's the only thing I would have been ready for yet anyway.

D

Dave L

By the Spirit, Scripture is self-authenticating; we trust that those seeking the truth in God's Word will be guided aright.
They all said the same. But I found that challenging one view with another usually uncovers the truth.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
After I got over being creeped out about my 54 year old self showing up with advice (which would take a while)...

I think I would repeat the prophecy spoken over me not long after I got saved by an old woman I had never met before as I got up to leave a church service. "God is going to use you." Looking back, those words encouraged me to keep going more than any others. And at 8 years old, that's the only thing I would have been ready for yet anyway.
This why it's good to encourage younger folks in the faith. :)

Reactions: Hidden In Him

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'd let my younger self know that God is real and His love is immeasurable. And that life seems unfair and hard but it's mostly just perspective. And not to trust many of those feelings but press on towards the mark and God would see him through. That one day he will look back and be able to clearly see what God was doing and why. And to pray for wisdom, resist evil, and believe God.
Great advice! Welcome to the forum :)

Reactions: Pisteuo

Mayflower

Jul 14, 2018
Bluffton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Ive been thinking about this a lit. Thinking gets me in trouble But I used to have this imaginary world I made up to escape some things and before I got pregnant with Lorena and I was starting out in my marriage with Bobby, something broke inside of me and I started seeing Magic and the part of me named Chastity that was a young child. She would scream and hide, because she was scared of Magic. So I let Magic kill her and Lori (15), then kill herself.

I haven't had any issues since then. Took something called "Freedom in Christ" and was able to finally put my past behind me and rebuke those demons.

I think that young child is inside each of us. We don't have to go back anymore. We just got to nurture ourselves now and in doing that, we nurture the parts of us that are catching up.

But anyway, not crazy. But I get sad to think about it sometimes.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Ive been thinking about this a lit. Thinking gets me in trouble But I used to have this imaginary world I made up to escape some things and before I got pregnant with Lorena and I was starting out in my marriage with Bobby, something broke inside of me and I started seeing Magic and the part of me named Chastity that was a young child. She would scream and hide, because she was scared of Magic. So I let Magic kill her and Lori (15), then kill herself.

I haven't had any issues since then. Took something called "Freedom in Christ" and was able to finally put my past behind me and rebuke those demons.

I think that young child is inside each of us. We don't have to go back anymore. We just got to nurture ourselves now and in doing that, we nurture the parts of us that are catching up.

But anyway, not crazy. But I get sad to think about it sometimes.
It's good to look back in profitable, constructive things, right? and be able to weed out if necessary thing that aren't so helpful.

BTW, did you know that there is a video personality called Chassity? she's actually a tattoo artist (if you look her up on Youtube).

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Great advice! Welcome to the forum :)

Hi Nancy...
FYI...Pisteuo has been around a long time...I wish he'd post more but he can go for months between posts. LOL
He and bbyrd009 go back a long way I think... :)

I owe you an email...sorry. :( My bad.
But , you are not forgotten, I am still praying for you and the 'needs' of Elaine.♥︎

Reactions: Nancy and Pisteuo

Pisteuo

Jul 31, 2017
Ozarks
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thanks Helen. So many things to do with the family, business, and farm. But I really enjoy getting on early everyday reading posts and occasionally posting. Some day I'll settle down and get more involved. So many good threads lately (including this one!)

Reactions: Helen

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi Nancy...
FYI...Pisteuo has been around a long time...I wish he'd post more but he can go for months between posts. LOL
He and bbyrd009 go back a long way I think... :)

I owe you an email...sorry. :( My bad.
But , you are not forgotten, I am still praying for you and the 'needs' of Elaine.♥︎
"Pisteuo has been around a long time..." oops!
You don't "owe" me an email, lol. Elaine is now here at my house. Nothing is "normal" right now but, one day at a time...so much to do. I so thank you for your prayers because I need them more than ever before ♥ And I hope you all on here know that you are in my daily prayers.

Reactions: Helen

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
"Pisteuo has been around a long time..." oops!
You don't "owe" me an email, lol. Elaine is now here at my house. Nothing is "normal" right now but, one day at a time...so much to do. I so thank you for your prayers because I need them more than ever before ♥ And I hope you all on here know that you are in my daily prayers.

Amen...thanks Nancy.
Please keep me updated one on a while....it helps me know how to pray... ♥︎

Notice I have "stolen" your ...♥︎ :)

Reactions: Nancy

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Amen...thanks Nancy.
Please keep me updated one on a while....it helps me know how to pray... ♥︎

Notice I have "stolen" your ...♥︎ :)
Oh you sneaker...you stole my heart! Lol!!! Oh gosh...so , so much happening right now. A good friend of mine and Elaine's, passed away tonight. We have known Michael for a very long time. He was just 65. Elaine is a mess, of course, and his partner of 44 years is also a mess-and that would be Elaines nephew. Elaine and I will be over there praying with him daily so, lot's of stuff will be on the back burner. All I ask is for guidance and wisdom to get done what I need to and...that Elaine will bathe...she did yesterday but, I NEED her to bathe or shower DAILY...I cannot take the smell :oops:

Reactions: amadeus

APAK

Feb 4, 2018
Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What if you could turn the clock back and give some advice to your younger self..
If you could speak to your younger self at age 8 ..what advice would you give that child? How would you warn him/her of the future to come. In fact would you pre-warn him/her of the future...or would you leave the innocence? ( with what you know about your life now)
Remember how you felt when seeing the world through 8 year old eyes.

I would not give any spoken or written advise to my 8-year old self. It would most probably be a waste of time.

On the other hand, I would tell him about some papers (of advice) I would place in a weather-proofed container for him to open up at the age of say 17 years old. I would give specific instructions about where to find this container of course.

The advice would be two-fold: 1. Concerning his spiritual walk. What to learn that is crucial to his future life and eternal life and what and who to avoid along the way. The importance of scripture and prayer in his life would be paramount. The key advice will be to assure him that if his heart is open, pure and honest, God will guide him, beyond what even friends and parents can give.

2. Non-spiritual advise will also help him a lot. Like, if he gets married pick up a decent amount of whole life insurance on himself. He will realize this is great advice and happy that he did.

I believe in foreknowledge, that God knows the path we shall take throughout our lives before-hand and my advice for many things and possibly how to make different decisions in his life will not significantly alter the outcome at all.

Bless you,

APAK

Reactions: amadeus and Helen